• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I'll take it. Should be monthly until the pandemic passes but whatever.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Yep I feel like the left has been screaming about how dangerous someone like Tom cotton will be if the dem party doesn't move back leftwards for years. 😞

Yeah, it's genuinely frightening watching how we're all just sprinting towards it. Trump's sheer ineffectiveness in his fascism is his only saving grace, but we get one chance to correct course after his term, and if it's with someone like Biden, whose incrementalist reforms will truly change none of the structural problems of our society, nor will stake out certain positions as being solely associated with the Democratic Party, a true fascist will come along soon after him with a much more finely tuned message and wipe the floor with the Democrats. Cotton is 100% that guy and it scares the shit out of me. But onward centrism marches, regardless, blind to what the future brings and how to avoid it.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
How would this work exactly? Get mailed a check or what?

63-631770_transparent-piles-of-money-png-bag-of-money.png

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
Yeah, in all seriousness though, there's a pretty decent chance that my job is gonna shut down thus fucking me over financially. So, imma need the government to cut me a check or something so I don't go broke.

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling in a sensitive thread
I'll take it.

going straight to my Xbox Series X and PS5 launch day purchases.

I'm going multi-console day 1 bitches. Sorry to the rest of you dirty poors.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People are shitting on this, but $1000 per every 18+ member of my household is rent, power, and water covered for 3 months. That's a major help right now with what's going on.
The $1k should also come with waiving the cost of rent. Just $1k could be not enough for a person.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
You can low-key thank Andrew Yang for normalizing discussion about UBI on the national stage. Good on Yang. Let's hope this passes; it's also the best way to deal with economic shock (although not the long-term, or even medium-term, solution there either).

Bush did this before -- sending people checks -- but now we have voices linking a direct payment from the Government to the concept of UBI. That's novel, and it's sorely needed.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure $1k is that much better than whatever the fuck Trump is doing. A large proportion of people aren't going to have their income streams materially impacted. I was thinking something like extending unemployment benefits to people who are effectively laid off at a rate that closely matches their previously take home pay would be more effective. Perhaps include some bill relief (e.g. suspension of interest on credit card/student loan/etc... debt,) covering co-pay/uninsured costs for COVID-19 related health expenses, and requiring employers to offer sick leave without making employees use from their normal pool.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure $1k is that much better than whatever the fuck Trump is doing. A large proportion of people aren't going to have their income streams materially impacted. I was thinking something like extending unemployment benefits to people who are effectively laid off at a rate that closely matches their previously take home pay would be more effective. Perhaps include some bill relief (e.g. suspension of interest on credit card/student loan/etc... debt,) covering co-pay/uninsured costs for COVID-19 related health expenses, and requiring employers to offer sick leave without making employees use from their normal pool.

What the fuck you talking about? A ton of people have lost income streams over night.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It might help those who aren't getting paid at the moment but it isn't nearly significant enough for them. Meanwhile, my big, dumb lizard brain is just thinking of all the ways that I could blow $1,000.

Last edited:

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
If implemented it would sort of be like a UBI trial run though. Sure there was stimulus in the past like what GWB did, but this would likely need to be multiple months in a row until things stabilized.

Months? Fucking hell. How is anyone supposed to live like this without going completely mad? I get it's necessary but...FUCK

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Part of me thinks this is a great idea, but the another part says it's just a underhanded bailout of banks and wealthy landowners who will be a large recipiant of this money.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

$1,000 would make a world of difference for working people, and now we're in a climate where working people can't work.

There's a LOT we have to do, but a form of unconditional cash transfer is the first thing in a "jobless" scenario.

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck you talking about? A ton of people have lost income streams over night.

Chill out. Of course lots of people have lost income streams overnight, I'm just saying that lots of people haven't and that $1k could be spent more effectively on other relief efforts.

$1,000 would make a world of difference for working people, and now we're in a climate where working people can't work.

There's a LOT we have to do, but a form of unconditional cash transfer is the first thing in a "jobless" scenario.
What would make more of a difference, a one time $1,000 to everyone or income replacement for those displaced by COVID-19?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would make more of a difference, a one time $1,000 to everyone or income replacement for those displaced by COVID-19?

A one time is shit, and the only one pushing something that simple are Republicans. It hasn't sunk in American life is going to change to at least until the end of Spring. I'm in favor of those proposing a three month plan, which we then look at when the time comes.

Ideally Jason Furman's approach is what we do...

- $2,000 per adult
- $1,000 per child
- Three month plan

A family of four, with the above plan, gets $6,000 a month. You can wiggle on the amount for adults and children, but I think it being locked in place for three months is the minimum of what we have to do here.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
my question if any of these "immediate" payments occur...is it citizen's only? My wife is a permanent resident (green card) and just curious if we would get something for her too...

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming I wouldn't qualify for this (legal resident, non-immigrant visa that's been here for about 3 and a half years) but still, this should definitely happen. People need assistance and so many people are in dire straits because of the situation.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
This would be nice... My girlfriend is a server at a bar/restaurant here in CA and i think bars are still allowed to be open but they basically cut all the servers and the only people on staff or chefs and bartenders and managers.. So she basically is making zero.