• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where are you stuck?

• Biome 1

Votes: 243 13.4%
  • Biome 2

Votes: 186 10.3%
  • Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Can someone explain to me the Save Problem I hear about?
there is no save at all in this game? if you get a permanent upgrade, it will not be saved if you turn off the console????
Permanent upgrades will always remain regardless of whether you turn the console off, see below:
  • Permanent equipment is kept once you've unlocked it. Examples include the Atropian Blade, the Hermetic Transmitter, and the Icarian Grapnel
  • Permanent items are kept once you've acquired them. Examples include the House Key and the Crimson Key
  • Ether carries over between runs
  • Artefacts and items you've scanned or unlocked will show up randomly in subsequent runs
  • Research progress on enemies, weapon traits, items, and artefacts is persistent
  • Story/objective progress is persistent
  • After defeating a boss once, you don't have to fight it again (although you can if you like)

When you die this is what you lose when you restart:
  • The weapon you're carrying is lost
  • Consumable items you're carrying are lost
  • Artefacts you have are lost
  • Parasites you're carrying are lost
  • Malfunctions are removed
  • Obolites you're carrying are lost
  • Keys you're carrying are lost
  • Datacubes you have are lost
  • Weapon proficiency level progress is reset to zero
  • Your health is reset to default
  • Any other stat changes are reset

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are always two "doors with a circle above" to be found in every run on Overgrown Ruins, and you'll know which is the right one the moment you enter it, it's just random which one turns up first.

Thanks. Do you know if "restarting the cycle" will take you back to the ship (still retaining progress of biomes) or does it straight up erase your progress completely?

Because I might just start using that feature if the first door doesn't take me to the latest biome.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
alright, done for the night (played 5 hours straight...wtf)

let's test that rest mode, lmao.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question for you guys making it to the 3rd biome on your 1st run: how much money are you making from your eSports career?

BreakingARC

Oct 30, 2017
This game pushes all the right buttons for me, there's even a bit of Annihilation (mainly in the OST) in there! Absolutely love it

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question for you guys making it to the 3rd biome on your 1st run: how much money are you making from your eSports career?

I made it to the third biome first run by the skin of my teeth (i was one hit from dying to the second boss). But as soon as I got to the third biome I got killed, and I've been having issues finding my way back to the correct door.

It's getting a little annoying how many times I get lost. And you start with a pistol, when I all want to do is get back to my level 10 proficiency weapon I dropped in biome 3.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I think the game goes easy on you the first time you enter a biome, because when you die the game gives no fucks and throws everything at you. On my second run, I walked into a challenge room without realizing what it was and shortly died. On my third run I encountered a elite beast with extra health and malignant-giving special attacks.
Shit is crazy lmao.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
PS Direct emailed me overnight to say that my order was delayed do now I'm sitting here with a charged credit card, the inability to cancel the order, and no game....
Never ordering from here again.

Might run to Walmart later to see if I can get in person and then return the other copy

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the game goes easy on you the first time you enter a biome, because when you die the game gives no fucks and throws everything at you. On my second run, I walked into a challenge room without realizing what it was and shortly died. On my third run I encountered a elite beast with extra health and malignant-giving special attacks.
Shit is crazy lmao.

Also this. The subsequent runs post death are hell of a lot tougher than the first run. It is rough starting with a pistol and getting immediately swarmed.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Permanent upgrades will always remain regardless of whether you turn the console off, see below:
  • Permanent equipment is kept once you've unlocked it. Examples include the Atropian Blade, the Hermetic Transmitter, and the Icarian Grapnel
  • Permanent items are kept once you've acquired them. Examples include the House Key and the Crimson Key
  • Artefacts and items you've scanned or unlocked will show up randomly in subsequent runs
  • Research progress on enemies, weapon traits, items, and artefacts is persistent
  • After defeating a boss once, you don't have to fight it again (although you can if you like)

Thanks, the game autosaves the important stuff, something like Souls games but different.
Some Reviewers make it feel like there is no save whatsoever.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
It's getting a little annoying how many times I get lost. And you start with a pistol, when I all want to do is get back to my level 10 proficiency weapon I dropped in biome 3.
Pretty sure you don't recover items you had on previous runs. You get an item that ups the proficiency level of weapons you'll find to the minimum for that biome (and I think a health boost) and that's it.

Koralsky

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the insight, I don't know the technicals but I imagine 3d audio must be a complex thing from a design and implementation standpoint, also when dealing with unknowns of what various consumers will be using for output, varying quality of setups etc. I'm really glad its getting more utilized in games in general, these are old now but the first time I experienced an hrtf audio demo in VR it was mind blowing. The head tracking combined with hrtf truly felt like sound was filling a volume around me. The work Sony has put into 3d audio on PS5 has given me high hopes for some great experiences on PSVR2.

Out of curiosity are you able to reveal what game you worked on?

Thank you. Sony offers a lot of help to developers in terms of Tempest and the audio capabilities of the console in general. There are still quality updates, which are set by them but are not in the current SDK. There are tons of documentation and examples, plus HRTF updates and how all games played on the PS5 (including PS4 titles) take advantage of the Tempest Engine on a system level. With the right system settings, the same software (for example, I recently tested Mass Effect Andromeda) and the same hardware (newer Gold headset) PS4 games can sound quite a lot better on PS5 than on the PS4 Pro. We are talking about basic spatial audio output for all non-3D games playable on the console.

Unfortunately, I can't go into detail or specifics considering the NDAs my company signed, but the audio part on the PS5 is anything but PR. And it already works great for me and many of my colleagues in the industry.
I hope the next revision of Switch will have a big update when it comes to audio because at the moment you practically have to rewrite your entire audio system to work on the Nintendo console (cpuuuuuuuuu...) if you've previously released your game on PS, Xbox consoles or PC, using 3D / surround audio and more than five audio tracks at the same time in the runtime of the game.

As for the game - it is from 2018 and is called Elea (can be played in 4K at 60FPS on PS5 and Series X) - CEEGA and Game Audio Awards

Also, something about Returnal:

"The ballet of Returnal" - you can select specific battles in the video if you want to skip exploration. IMO, playthroughs like this are showing the game better than any review in the galaxy (I am playing btw.). It is at least on par with Vanquish in my book (I am also a huge Treasure fan).

One of the later biomes (No Spoilers - 5:29 and 16:25 are quite intense battles):

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Question about the
astronaut
:

I died and was instantly revived, I think it said I got a second chance. Is this what that item does?

SubTXT

Jul 24, 2020
Are there any health regen stations? or is the only method via green pickups. At 6% health & don't want to die....

Ironically, I JUST watched Maximillian Dood get to a regen "bed" (for lack of a better term). Interestingly, after using it, it healed him, but also spawned two enemies. As with seemingly everything in this game, it's about balance.

Last edited:

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I couldn't stop playing this game and it's 6 am now... My fault for starting it so late at 2 am lol. But it's so good! Just made it to 3rd biome, only died the one time so far when you first fight a big enemy. Ever since I've been taking my time methodically, I love it because the game has put that fear in me over dying even though I know it's also not the biggest deal if I did. Gets more immersed in the setting since I'm trying to do everything I can to keep health.

I rebound my controls early on to have L1 be my dash button, R1 be my melee and down d-pad be my use consumable buttons. This has been a really great setup so far and preferable to the default imo. Square and circle are just unbound now lol but that's not a bad thing.

Leaving game in rest mode now so I'll see how that goes tomorrow.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure you don't recover items you had on previous runs. You get an item that ups the proficiency level of weapons you'll find to the minimum for that biome (and I think a health boost) and that's it.

Thats what I mean. I've gotten back to biome 3 and got my proficiency level restored multiple times. It's the act of getting back to biome 3 that's beginning to get tiring. Sometimes the circle door takes you to the biome 3. But out of the few hours I played, it usually took me to biome 2.

And then I start running around looking for biome 3, getting nowhere until I eventually die again.

SubTXT

Jul 24, 2020

So when exactly do you get a "save" mid-run? I think I heard it saves after bosses. So if I beat the first biome and don't think I have enough time to play the second, can I quit the game and pick back up from the point where I beat the boss?

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting this, seeing so many people post how great they're doing and completing the game already I needed to read a post like yours just so I know it's not just me lol

Haha I hope our future endeavors will give us better success.

I knew it was tough from all the reviews but damn I didn't expect this. Now ima knockout and hope tomorrow is better lol

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I might very well be the worst Returnal player atm. 2 deaths, and haven't even got to the blade. Have to learn patterns and shit but so far, with just 3 weapons, no upgrades, no builds and no progression...I might bounce off this one soon. Which would be a pity since I love Hades, Dead Cells and Children of Morta.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
So when exactly do you get a "save" mid-run? I think I heard it saves after bosses. So if I beat the first biome and don't think I have enough time to play the second, can I quit the game and pick back up from the point where I beat the boss?
No. You can buy one respawn per run, assuming you find it and have enough ether. Once you've picked your checkpoint to respawn from you can only return there once (and I think if you move to another biome you might actually lose that ability). If you die again after that it's back to the beginning.

If you beat a boss you'll have the ability to go straight to the next biome without fighting them again when you restart. There will be shortcuts to the portal between biomes but it's in the level somewhere. So although it is quicker to move on as you progress through each world you still have to reach the portal, you can't just choose a level to go to from within your ship at the start.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I might very well be the worst Returnal player atm. 2 deaths, and haven't even got to the blade. Have to learn patterns and shit but so far, with just 3 weapons, no upgrades, no builds and no progression...I might bounce off this one soon. Which would be a pity since I love Hades, Dead Cells and Children of Morta.
I died twice too, with a big smile on my face. This is too good.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Had a quick go last night when it unlocked, had the first required death then got to the first boss before getting killed. Had a great time, with the lights off, hedphones on it was an extremely immersive experience. Really punchy audio, great controls and I enjoyed the variety with the weapons that I got already. Excited to try more after work.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
I already had two runs (out of five overall) where I suddenly couldn't pick up any items or open any doors, I basically couldn't interact with anything. WTF?!
I had no other choice than to restart the cycle. Pretty annoying bug.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Only got to play for an hour when it unlocked. Got the first boss and was murdering it until it got to the second phase and jumped and one shot me lol.

This game is real good. Real real good.

Kureizu

Oct 27, 2017
Alicante, Spain.
I've been forced to restart two of my first three runs because the game stops letting me interact with items and doors won't open. It's not like it has happened after long runs but still, what the fuck?

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Game is so damn good I can't focus on anything right now, all I want to do is sit down and play some more, gdi! I'm gonna end up reading on ResetEra all day until I can play.. I won't get shit done today.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
on my third run now but evertime i come across the house, i cant get in? i have seen some streamers and all of them got in the first time it popped up?

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul

I died like six times before I got the blade. I had no idea you could dash through the bullets.