• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• Super Duper Hyped, Day One!

Votes: 208 15.8%
  • Hyped, Pretty Sure I’m Picking It Up At Some Point

Votes: 215 16.3%
  • Somewhat Hyped, Waiting For Reviews First

Votes: 314 23.8%
  • 60 FPS Open World on Console Is Cool Hype

Votes: 86 6.5%
  • No Hype

Votes: 329 25.0%
  • Negative Hype

Votes: 59 4.5%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 106 8.0%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Assume there has been no information yet in regards to when the review embargo lifts?
Haven't seen any details about this.
Am looking forward to this, some of the preview videos have peaked my interest even more.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
tumblr_nal3cspgUU1qeuiqyo2_500.gif

Hyped I guess? I liked what they've shown versus what I saw in Rage.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the BFG is exclusive to the Deluxe and higher Editions?

Wondering if it's obtainable in-game like the cheat codes.
According to a community manager on Reddit, the BFG can be found later in the game like normal. However, there wasn't a definitive answer on the Settler Pistol; that one might be exclusive to pre-orders.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Since this is a Bethesda game we probably won't see any reviews before the release date. Don't quote me on that though.
Ah yes forgot its what they usually do with their review policy.
Thanks.
Yeah. The last two major Bethesda Softworks single-player releases (Wolfenstein II and The Evil Within 2) had review copies sent a week prior IIRC with the embargo lifting on launch day.

At least we aren't getting review copies sent on launch days and having to wait a week before we see any reviews pop up.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm looking forward to it. I hope that the shooting is like the first one. Has there been word of if there will be one of those GAAS leveling systems that make the game feel like Borderlands? That is probably the only thing that could kill my hype.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A mediocre game with a lot of marketing behind it.
I'm not gonna get into the particulars of this game's design because there's all sorts of angles someone could try to attack it from, but I've come to see it as a general rule that these sorts of high-energy shooters don't really shine in trailers, or at least, not the sorts of trailers that AAA publishers like to have made.

DOOM didn't look or sound good before launch because of the way Bethesda presented the game, but also, because a coreographed trailer in just about any form probably fails to sell the frenetic moment-to-moment chaos that makes DOOM what it is. Certainly doesn't sell it as well as that Nvidia clip of the game did. A random short clip that turned DOOM's tepid hype-cycle on its head, two days before launch. And all it showed was a tiny little bit of the game being played, organically, by a -player-. It showed what the game was like rather than outlining a bunch of fun cool whoa mechanics and letting the player piece the experience together in their mind. (or, alternatively, rather than presenting DOOM 4 as though it were DOOM 3...)
Rage 2 has had a much, much stronger run of trailers and per-release media, but I feel the pre-release media should focus more on relatively unscripted gameplay moments. Moments where the player is taking damage and making frenetic split-second decisions. Show us what the game looks like when its really delivering, and focus on those moments, that's what inspires confidence with games like these, IMO.

MrWhite

Nov 28, 2017
Netherlands
Vacation starts when this releases. This looks really great, but I'm sort of missing the point why everybody is shooting each other (I didn't played the first one). Is there a story? Or is it just driving around and shooting things?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
No HDR is a bummer...I thought since they kept the 1080P only on the XBox One X it would at least have HDR...?

No HDR
No 4K
No options...

***what yearisthisgif***

I mean it still looks like fun and all but these decisions are strange...I better notice the 60FPS...a lot ;) (I usually dont really see the difference that much)

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Wasn't Doom 2016 60 FPS on base PS4? This is such a bummer that higher FPS is locked behind a physical paywall. The cost of open world design...sigh.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Vacation starts when this releases. This looks really great, but I'm sort of missing the point why everybody is shooting each other (I didn't played the first one). Is there a story? Or is it just driving around and shooting things?
More information on the story can be found here and here. In short, RAGE 2 has a few returning characters from RAGE 1, but is largely removed from the events of the first game since it takes place 30 years later and features a new protagonist. The first RAGE was about an Ark Survivor (people who were selected to be cryogenically frozen inside of underground vaults to survive the imminent apocalypse) named Nicholas, taking on a powerful military faction known as The Authority who kidnap Ark Survivors for reasons unknown (I believe the novel may have hinted at the reason, but RAGE 2 will likely give a more clear-cut answer). Not sure if you have any interest in the first game at all, but I'll tag it just in case:
At the end of the game, Nicholas raises the remaining Arks and defeats part of The Authority (in a notoriously abrupt cutscene), but now they're back again in RAGE 2.

One major difference right away is that Nicholas in RAGE 1 was a silent protagonist, while Walker in RAGE 2 will be talkative. Like the first game, The Authority won't be the only enemy faction you encounter in the wasteland, and, according to the narrative director, you'll be able to learn more about their backstories and antagonistic behaviors as you play the game.

"Most people you meet, most stuff that you see, even enemies that you never really talk to, they have a backstory and they have a reason to be there, and they have a reason to behave in the outrageous way that they do," said Ahlgren. "Most of these things are explained if you look close enough."

MrWhite

Nov 28, 2017
Netherlands
More information on the story can be found here and here. In short, RAGE 2 has a few returning characters from RAGE 1, but is largely removed from the events of the first game since it takes place 30 years later and features a new protagonist. The first RAGE was about an Ark Survivor (people who were selected to be cryogenically frozen inside of underground vaults to survive the imminent apocalypse) named Nicholas, taking on a powerful military faction known as The Authority who kidnap Ark Survivors for reasons unknown (I believe the novel may have hinted at the reason, but RAGE 2 will likely give a more clear-cut answer). Not sure if you have any interest in the first game at all, but I'll tag it just in case:
At the end of the game, Nicholas raises the remaining Arks and defeats part of The Authority (in a notoriously abrupt cutscene), but now they're back again in RAGE 2.

One major difference right away is that Nicholas in RAGE 1 was a silent protagonist, while Walker in RAGE 2 will be talkative. Like the first game, The Authority won't be the only enemy faction you encounter in the wasteland, and, according to the narrative director, you'll be able to learn more about their backstories and antagonistic behaviors as you play the game.

Thanks! What did you think of the first Rage? This game hasn't been on my radar at all, until yesterday. It's looks very pretty though! Think I'm gonna go for it.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
After being hyped initially I now watched a couple of newer gameplay videos and decided to refrain from (pre-) ordering it. Really curious about the reviews this week.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! What did you think of the first Rage? This game hasn't been on my radar at all, until yesterday. It's looks very pretty though! Think I'm gonna go for it.
The first RAGE had some highly exceptional moments in the form of the Dead City, Gearhead Vault, and Blue Line Station levels, and an outstanding soundtrack to help carry it along. Everything pertaining to the AI, weapons, and combat arenas was very well done in my view; at times, you can tell you're playing a really good shooter made by id Software, and at other times, you can tell where they went out of their comfort zone to the game's detriment (vehicular gameplay, side missions, world design). The game's final act—down to the abrupt ending and lack of a true boss fight—suggests they simply didn't get as much time on it as needed. I still liked the first game, though.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I like the look of the gameplay I've seen, but I'd need to play it a bit to see if that translates well. More interested than I ever was in RAGE, but waiting for reviews and a discount.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm having a completely pointless internal debate over getting this at launch.

Pro: I loved the first game despite it's flaws and abrupt ending. Played on 360 and later again on PC. It's also Avalance, who despite a spotty record, I really love Just Cause 2 and 3 (JC4 less so and Mad Max not at all).

Con: I just bought Days Gone at full price and almost certainly won't be finished before this is released
also, it's a Bethesda Game that's not a single player fallout or elder scrolls game, so it will free fall in price pretty quickly, regardless of quality. I have enjoyed Wolfensteins (some more than others), Dishonored, Prey and Doom (2016) quite a lot. So while I feel I'll enjoy the game, I dislike buying something that gets a huge drop before I get to play it. So I'll stick until i have the time to play it.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Generation Zero by Avalanche Studios has a Metacritic score of 46, so I'm really sceptical.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/generation-zero
Honestly Generation Zero feels like a game made by a small team - a side project as such. I'm pretty sure the studio are pouring a significant more amount of resources into RAGE 2 compared to Generation Zero. I have no internal knowledge so could be wrong, but that's what I believe to be the case.

Generation Zero also had a lot of cool ideas but it's just simply unfinished.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
A mediocre game with a lot of marketing behind it.

Did you actually play it or are you just parroting the reviews to seek attention?

I'm playing Days Gone and it's nowhere near mediocre. It's in fact the most fun game I've played this year. And the general user consensus seems to agree with me.

If Rage gives me this much fun, I'm totally down with it.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I enjoyed the first game and am looking forward to playing an open world FPS that isn't called Far Cry.Honestly never expected this game to ever be made so that makes it all the more interesting.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first game is going to be absolutely irrelevant to this. Seems like it's Rage in name only, much like them using the Prey IP.

Looks like a really inventive and fun sandbox. Technically it's crazy impressive they have that running at 60fps on the pro/X.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't like not getting a choice - I want to play at 4K or at least higher than 1080p at 30FPS.

I also want HDR - this is 2019 - and HDR is basically ubiquitous now on major releases. Is it the ID engine as I guess there was no HDR in Wolfenstein either?

Anyhow - pretty hyped for this - but the lack of graphical options and no HDR is a bit a of letdown to me.

MrWhite

Nov 28, 2017
Netherlands
The first RAGE had some highly exceptional moments in the form of the Dead City, Gearhead Vault, and Blue Line Station levels, and an outstanding soundtrack to help carry it along. Everything pertaining to the AI, weapons, and combat arenas was very well done in my view; at times, you can tell you're playing a really good shooter made by id Software, and at other times, you can tell where they went out of their comfort zone to the game's detriment (vehicular gameplay, side missions, world design). The game's final act—down to the abrupt ending and lack of a true boss fight—suggests they simply didn't get as much time on it as needed. I still liked the first game, though.

Cool! I do like the sound of that. And they probable listened to the criticism for the second one. Should be a fun shooter. I think I'm just going to get it and go in with an open mind.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
Combat is why I liked the original so much and with Avalance at the helm rather than id, I'm a little skeptical. I don't really trust the opinion of reviewers on the matter so I'll need to play it myself before I can get hyped.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Combat is why I liked the original so much and with Avalance at the helm rather than id, I'm a little skeptical. I don't really trust the opinion of reviewers on the matter so I'll need to play it myself before I can get hyped.
Id is apparently involved in the gunplay aspect of the game. To what degree seems to vary from interview to interview, though.