• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I'm honestly surprised at how many people don't get the price of high speed NVME drives. Where have you been? Obviously not on a gaming PC.
You want speed but are pearl clutching the price of said speed.
What did you expect?
That since it's for consoles it would magically be cheaper than it is in PC.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Well Damn, when trying to install games on your system you're going to have to make a hard decision which games you want to keep on the storage.

Your most cost effective solution is to get an external drive (preferably SATA SSD) and then use that as cold storage for next gen games. Transfer times will be pretty quick.

Eventually the Samsung M.2 drives will fall in price.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
But tax differs by state, county, city. It's not realistic

We live in a world where you can talk to someone on a wireless device from thousands of miles away. Of course it's realistic. There just isn't any money in it. Just like there isn't any money about being transparent about shit like this.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
People should not buy any drives now, wait for Sony's list of certified drivers before buying something.

And everything with less than 5.5 gb/s is not going to work.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
People should not buy any drives now, wait for Sony's list of certified drivers before buying something.

And everything with less than 5.5 gb/s is not going to work.

I would say go for external SSDs rather than the few drives that are fast enough to qualify. They'll be way less and give people time if the storage is really an issue.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
We live in a world where you can talk to someone on a wireless device from thousands of miles away. Of course it's realistic. There just isn't any money in it. Just like there isn't any money about being transparent about shit like this.
No it's not realistic. You want companies to make ads targeted at the city/ county level? Way too expensive and impractical

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I'm honestly surprised at how many people don't get the price of high speed NVME drives. Where have you been? Obviously not on a gaming PC.
You want speed but are pearl clutching the price of said speed.
What did you expect?
That since it's for consoles it would magically be cheaper than it is in PC.

Again, i think most people expected a 1TB SSD minus the OS=8XX GB and not a 825GB SSD minus the OS= 664GB

most people just didn´t or still don´t know that it is only a 825GB drive.

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Again, i think most people expected a 1TB SSD minus the OS=8XX GB and not a 825GB SSD minus the OS= 664GB

Cerny told us in March that its 12 x 64GB chips. 12 x 64 = 768GB before the OS. Can't be helped if people don't listen or don't understand.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017

I guess it could have been misunderstood. I feel bad for people with slow internet and bandwidth caps.
I personally have gigabit internet with no cap. I have been data managing installs for a while in pc with a huge steam library but it's easy with my setup obviously.
Everyone should sit tight on purchasing anything the extra storage will get cheap thru mass adoption across pc and consoles now.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Discs are still installed to drives though ? What difference does it make ? Going digital means you don't have change discs everytime. The install size remains the same.
You paid 399 for this and you're still complaining? fuck me

I mean they can fucking increase the disk size is the point? We're in 2020 where games can clock a 100GB so having 664 file size available on day one is plain shitty.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

It was made very clear in March that it's an 825GB SSD.

It's both funny and sad how a lot of "unknowns" or "concerns" lately have already been addressed seven months ago.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
There's a mouse cursor on the bottom right. Alot of signs that this is a fake that people are sadly running with.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Storage is absolutely the reason I'm not grabbing a PS5 right away, will need a 2 TB at least in addition to the external.

Oct 27, 2017

Why make that assumption when literally no tech company advertises the useable space but the total available space on drives? Also, why would Sony buck that trend now? If 825GB was the useable space they would have say so.
I'm ignoring the fact that a calculation was given for how they arrived at 825GB.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

So, you don't want transparency? It's almost like you speak on behalf of a company rather than yourself.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Storage is absolutely the reason I'm not grabbing a PS5 right away, will need a 2 TB at least in addition to the external.

They won't release a 2tb. The next model will be 1650gb and it won't be out for years.

It has expandable storage so I'm not sure why you wouldn't get one and slot in an additional SSD next year when their are an abundance of them on the market.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
They won't release a 2tb. The next model will be 1650gb and it won't be out for years.

It has expandable storage so I'm not sure why you wouldn't get one and slot in an additional SSD next year when their are an abundance of them on the market.
I can wait years.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Some people here need to think that, to consumers, a new 1 TB NVMe at PS5 spec costs around 200 euros. Sony is selling the whole PS5 + controller starting at 400. Considering the hardware you're getting for that price, it's a very respectable storage amount.

You might want to start thinking about your preferred cold storage options. They can be very cheap, and if you don't really need 10 AAA games installed at all times, you won't need one anyway.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I assume why storage space is an issue for most people is due to bandwith restriction ? Like realistically how many active do you have to keep in your rotation to fill up 665GB worth of games ? I have about 300 GB taken for my PS4 Pro and don't go over when I plat or finish something I delete it and move on. I do hjave unlimited bandwith though and I) know not everybody have access to it.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Was expected.

But it makes things a bit tight considering the games I like to play on console. However, I think ps5 will mainly just be a demon's souls machine for me. So I'm probably good to go.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Ideally you could dump games into a separate portable HDD and swap them around remotely. Otherwise, the dreams of an instant on gaming console are shattered unless you only need to access a relatively small gaming library. And the problem is only magnified in the digital only version.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they increase the SSD size, the console will cost more. What's wrong with a relatively low entry price and then buying the additional space yourself?

That's fine and dandy but unlike the Xbox Series, there's a serious lack of info on the storage expansion. People still wondering what SSD's fit the bill, will they have proprietary stuff like MS, etc...

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Ideally you could dump games into a separate portable HDD and swap them around remotely. Otherwise, the dreams of an instant on gaming console are shattered unless you only need to access a relatively small gaming library. And the problem is only magnified in the digital only version.

There is no difference between the digital and physical version besides an optical disc drive. They both play games off of the internal ssd.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping Sony doesn't do proprietary stuff here. I'm willing to live with this storage until the cost of more of it comes down, but I don't want to pay half the price of the console to increase it.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I can sense that there will be a lot of knee-jerk reactions in this thread.

Before you post, remember that PS5 games won't necessarily be larger than PS4 games due to reduced need for asset duplication.
Can we stop with this? Demon Souls is 66 GB and Miles Morales is 50 GB. Games will continue to be big.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a 2TB expansion drive will suffice for the PS5. But I am not paying $200 for that type of space (looking at you MS)

You're gonna struggle to find even 1TB for $200 any time soon. Prices will go down if you're willing to wait but, for the immediate future, you're not getting off-the-shelf storage that's compatible with the PS5 for meaningfully cheaper than that pricey Xbox expansion.