• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Go back and watch some old Kurosawa movies (or any chanbara films tbh) and get back to me. There's no way they would work with English dubbing.

That's because they were written, directed and acted by a team of Japanese people.

This game was made by an American studio so of course it works with English dubbing. It was made exclusively with that in mind.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Blows my mind that non-Japanese people would want to play a western game dubbed in Japanese. Then again, I've always been confused when people complain about their immersion being broken so I guess it has to do with that.
It takes place in Feudal Japan with Japanese people so why does it blows your mind that people want to hear feudal Japanese people speak Japanese? Then what do you think of Resident Evil games which is made by a Japanese company have english dub for their games? Are you gonna play double standard?

Oct 27, 2017
Its an old trailer. IIRC, I remember there being another older trailer with Japanese VA that had the the wrong lip sync which was replaced by one that had the correct sync. Hopefully there will be some kind of sTate ent to clarify if it's in or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the kind of thing that got affected by the covid-19 pandemic.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
It takes place in Feudal Japan with Japanese people so why does it blows your mind that people want to hear feudal Japanese people speak Japanese? Then what do you think of Resident Evil games which is made by a Japanese company have english dub for their games? Are you gonna play double standard?

For an English speaker I imagine the English dub of the RE games is preferable.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And you'd think that Sony, a Japanese company, would do the same for this game, given that it will undoubtedly have appeal within Japan and outside of it. Yes, I know Sucker Punch is an American developer, but I can't see why they couldn't do that. Honestly It'd have made more sense to do a native Japanese VO and then dub it into English, or skip the English dub entirely.
With models this realistic, you get the same results as something like FFXV wen it comes to trying to adjust a performance for another language without the workforce of a studio like Ubisoft or Rockstar. And on the other hand, say, recording separate perfromance for Japanese, if only just the face, is a really big time and money issue. It would be a first for the industry actually.
I can't see why they couldn't mocap the Japanese VO actors and paste over it.
Because performance capture is only one step of the process. Animators still need to go in and polish the hell out of it. A entire game's worth of audio and animation.

Last I checked, it was done primarily by AI. I'm sure there was some touch-up by hand, but I remember reading several interviews where they pointed out the use of new tech for Remake.
They use that primarily for scenes like this.

An AI isn't giving you the quality of animation seen in the fully animated cinematics.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah it's an old trailer, but Ilike the Japanese VO on this, I might actually play it this way since the lipsync didn't bother me that much.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Racist trolling. Prior severe ban for racism.
I usually play every jap game with japanese dub but not tsushima:

I absolutely love jin english voice

I can't take seriously zoro's voice from one piece in a dramatic scene with realistic graphics (my fault obviously)

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Lip sync looks pretty shit...

That's because it's dubbed not lip synced.

Which is weird because FFVII Remake has the dubbing corrected for both Japanese and English. Haven't tried French VO yet.

FFVII Remake only has adjusted lip sync for two languages. Also if you notice, any non main story stuff has their character's lips move via an algorithm rather than through hand animation. I think this will end up being the future once the algorithms get much better. Talk to any shop keeper in Sector 7 during Chapter 3 to see what I mean.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Beautiful trailer, a little too bit beautiful. As in every scene is from a set in a Kurosawa movie. Each scene has swaying wild grass, maple leaves flying around, etc. Not necessarily a complaint, but it's a stylized depiction of feudal Japan. It's kind of like the film Hero in a way.

Weirdly enough, some of the closeup shots (with the blurred bokeh) actually give me hope that the Hellblade 2 trailer can be done realtime on XSX. GoT is not quite there but close enough, and it's a whole generation behind and running on Jaguar cores.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The trailer is damn beautiful but it also pisses me off a bit because it's not what we'll truly get. Sony and MS need to start supporting 21:9 monitors on consoles(for at least their published games). Whenever I see a 21:9 trailer I lament the fact that I won't be able to experience it that way on consoles

Oct 24, 2019
Beautiful trailer, a little too bit beautiful. As in every scene is from a set in a Kurosawa movie. Each scene has swaying wild grass, maple leaves flying around, etc. Not necessarily a complaint, but it's a stylized depiction of feudal Japan. It's kind of like the film Hero in a way.

I mean it makes sense since they've explicitly said that they took a lot of inspiration from Kurosawa lol

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Blows my mind that non-Japanese people would want to play a western game dubbed in Japanese. Then again, I've always been confused when people complain about their immersion being broken so I guess it has to do with that.

Honestly, the game should be in Japanese with an English dub. Its too jarring to watch Japanese characters set in a Japan speaking American english. Makes no sense. They should have gone all the way in - especially since they said they wanted a realistic take on Feudal Japan. Nonetheless, I'm glad the option is there although I wish they fixed the lip-sync.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, wouldn't they literally have had to film the facial motion-capture twice (the second time with the Japanese cast) in order to get the lip-syncing to be correct on the Japanese version? That would have been a lot of extra work (and money) considering the vast majority of folks who play this are likely just going to use the English VO.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soooo excited for this game. An AAA game with this setting is great to see.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll play it in English. The Japanese lip sync is a bit off and that bothers me.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks but can you explain what do you mean to a non native english talker?
Isn't that word used commonly to abbreviate the word japanese? Isn't it the same with ita/italian or eng/english?
This was my understanding as well but I also think referring to Japanese people as a Jap is considered offensive.

Techno