Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Looks a ton better, but the lip movements not matching up is worrying. Hopefully that'll be fixed in the final game, it'd be seriously weird to play a game set in Japan, with English VO, dubbed clumsily into Japanese.

But yeah, as a huge Kurosawa fan, Japanese VO all the way.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They already released it originally, they just re-uploaded with the new date after the delay. Here's the original upload from March 5th which is now unlisted

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Pretty sure this is just a reupload of the latest trailer. I've definitely seen this one before

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Havnt taken a listen yet to the Japanese VA until now, definitly picking that option.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Man, I hope the lip movement will be better for Japanese voice.

however can't wait for this game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I love that the voice actor is the same as Zoro's

27bdef9fdb25031cccd26915467ef252--one-piece-manga-roronoa-zoro.jpg

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
looks good, seems like the same trailer but with a new date.
I wonder why Sony isn't marketing the game more, it comes out in 2 months

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Most awaited game since a lot of time for me.

Even though lip sync is better in English, I think I'll play it in Japanese.

For those wondering: it is the "release date trailer", nothing new, they just changed the date to the new one.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
I actually prefered the english VA for this trailer.
The way the voice actor delivered "Honor died on the beach, the Khan deserves to suffer" coupled with the music send shills down my spine.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Looks a ton better, but the lip movements not matching up is worrying. Hopefully that'll be fixed in the final game, it'd be seriously weird to play a game set in Japan, with English VO, dubbed clumsily into Japanese.

But yeah, as a huge Kurosawa fan, Japanese VO all the way.

Yeah its easy to forget that for all the spotty lip sync we get from Japanese games, its the same in reverse/any other direction going towards a different language than the original plan.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
This trailer got me excited for RT swords next gen. Imagine going full Kill Bill and being able to use your sword as a mirror.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this game is fucking gorgeous. I'm gonna play it with the original VA, but yeah just damn.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Just to confirm we can play this with Japanese VO and English subtitles correct?

cause I'm definitely gonna do that.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Blows my mind that non-Japanese people would want to play a western game dubbed in Japanese. Then again, I've always been confused when people complain about their immersion being broken so I guess it has to do with that.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, had no idea they were doing a JP dub, excellent news. The high-realism feudal Japan setting made those English voices seem very off-putting to me, my brain just kept saying "no" I think because of how realistic all the characters looked lol. I can easily put up with bad lip-syncing, so excited

Blows my mind that non-Japanese people would want to play a western game dubbed in Japanese. Then again, I've always been confused when people complain about their immersion being broken so I guess it has to do with that.

It blows my mind that people willingly went into the options menu and switched Sekiro voiceover to English as well, but to each their own

Oct 25, 2017
湘南

I don't get your point at all. The game is set in Japan lol

it's the same reason people watch American films in English with subtitles in their native language. In fact, go to any western blockbuster film in Japan (minus Disney animated films because they're mostly dubbed here) where it's available in dubbed or subbed and you'll notice that the subbed theater is full and the dubbed isn't.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
It blows my mind that people willingly went into the options menu and switched Sekiro voiceover to English as well, but to each their own

Switching to dub in your own language is not that strange. Some people process information easier via sound than text and other just don't want to read subtitles when playing a game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

It's only weird if you are not used to subbed media.

I always use the original language or the setting language (like French for AC Unity and so on)

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I don't get your point at all. The game is set in Japan lol

it's the same reason people watch American films in English with subtitles in their native language. In fact, go to any western blockbuster film in Japan (minus Disney animated films because they're mostly dubbed here) where it's available in dubbed or subbed and you'll notice that the subbed theater is full and the dubbed isn't.

That analogy doesn't really work because this is a game made by an American studio. The story, characters and dialogue were made by an American studio. If you want to hear the original performances as directed by the studio, English would be the best option.

Obviously, if everyone thinks it will improve their enjoyment of the game then go for it I guess. It just feels super unnecessary in this very specific case.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all tried telling me they had proper lip sync for the Japanese dub. You sit on a thrown of lies, this is disgraceful. Shameful even.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

Go back and watch some old Kurosawa movies (or any chanbara films tbh) and get back to me. There's no way they would work with English dubbing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Which is weird because FFVII Remake has the dubbing corrected for both Japanese and English. Haven't tried French VO yet.
Should be known, Square is one of it not the only studios in the industry that hand animates for two different languages. Because they know that IPs like FF and KH appeal to a worldwide audience. The only other studio I can think of that does this is CDPR. And only for Polish and English.
Go back and watch some old Kurosawa movies (or any chanbara films tbh) and get back to me. There's no way they would work with English dubbing.
This is a game where the dubbing part is Japanese. All of the audio and pcap was recorded in English.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Should be known, Square is one of it not the only studios in the industry that hand animates for two different languages. Because they know that IPs like FF and KH appeal to a worldwide audience. The only other studio I can think of that does this is CDPR. And only for Polish and English.

And you'd think that Sony, a Japanese company, would do the same for this game, given that it will undoubtedly have appeal within Japan and outside of it. Yes, I know Sucker Punch is an American developer, but I can't see why they couldn't do that. Honestly It'd have made more sense to do a native Japanese VO and then dub it into English, or skip the English dub entirely.

Yes, I know this game was probably mocapped which makes it difficult to change the lip movements, but I can't see why they couldn't mocap the Japanese VO actors and paste over it.