VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Even if the lip sync isn't perfect the option for Japanese VO is still cool and maybe could go that direction if I wanted.

But I think I'll stick with the English.

nath999

May 7, 2018
This is the first time I am seeing this, feels more impactful with the JAP dub. I will probably give it a shot.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thanks but can you explain what do you mean to a non native english talker?
Isn't that word used commonly to abbreviate the word japanese? Isn't it the same with ita/italian or eng/english?
Wait, why the ban here? Dude clearly didn't know the term he used was derogatory, and even acknowledged his mistake?
Edit: never mind, just realised there's more behind this.

Last edited:

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
2:27 where everything just moves... I got the weirdest boner man.
I wish having a world full of life and movement becomes the norm for next-gen.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
This is how you do a trailer. Obviously it was in engine with segments of gameplay available to see and didn't reveal too much, but gave you an idea of what to expect. I think this looks way more interesting to me than TLOU2, but whatever.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Blows my mind that non-Japanese people would want to play a western game dubbed in Japanese. Then again, I've always been confused when people complain about their immersion being broken so I guess it has to do with that.
Hell, I play almost every single game that has a Japanese voice option in Japanese. I only understand certain words from watching a ton of anime, but their voice actors just put a lot more emotion into their performance. Not to say that every English voice-over is bad, I actually really enjoyed the English voices in Fire Emblem: Three Houses. It's just more times than not, the Japanese voice actors do a better job, even if I can't fully understand what they're saying. A lot of times the English voices actually make the game seem less serious and more awkward

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
To me if the game is exceptionally Japanese or anime styled like Persona 5, Fire Emblem: Three Houses or Sekiro then it seems way more fitting to play it with Japanese voices.

Its strange to me that they would make such a hugely Japanese inspired game that literally drips with that kind of imagery and then have the default language option be English, it kinda ruins the mood for me a bit.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
i just hope the lips are sync'd otherwise thats gonna be some weird ass experience.

Playing a western game using the native language of the territory its based in only to experience a japanese movie in a western style audio dub sync..................

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, wouldn't they literally have had to film the facial motion-capture twice (the second time with the Japanese cast) in order to get the lip-syncing to be correct on the Japanese version? That would have been a lot of extra work (and money) considering the vast majority of folks who play this are likely just going to use the English VO.
Not necessarily. While FF7R used facial motion capture for the Japanese voice over, it uses computer-generated lip-syncing for non-English languages.

It doesn't look perfectly natural but most of the time it's surprisingly accurate. Certainly better than the alternative, which is not doing anything about it.

The game takes place in Japan with Japanese characters. Why would they be speaking anything other than Japanese?
Same reason the actors in Gladiator speak English.