• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
No. Do not let this thing survive.

This is how we all die.
No, no, let it live. It will kill us all and finally bring the sad farce that is human existence to an end!
Looks like a slime mold, I guess from the article's title I assumed they were showing off a new organism. Guess not.
Yeah, that's my reaction, too. The whole time I was thinking it sounded like a slime mold. All the questioning of whether it's an animal or a fungus, is Kingdom Protista no longer a thing? I mean, I'd heard that there were biologists who weren't satisfied with it...

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
Yeah, that's my reaction, too. The whole time I was thinking it sounded like a slime mold. All the questioning of whether it's an animal or a fungus, is Kingdom Protista no longer a thing? I mean, I'd heard that there were biologists who weren't satisfied with it...
Protista was what's called a "wastebasket taxon", where stuff's just kind of haphazardly thrown in bc it doesn't fit neatly into boxes (in this case, animal/plant/fungus)
there's a lot more kingdoms now (for whatever "kingdom" actually means, because linnaean taxonomy is also putting things into boxes that don't really exist)

slime molds are in Amoebozoa with, uh, amoebas. amoebozoa is basal to the group of fungi+animals

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
this looks like the type of organism that would invade a human brain. then it would come up with a plan to put a part of itself in a zoo so it would seem harmless and to attract other potential hosts and spread itself. it will then take over all humans in high positions of power and force ''vaccinations'' on the populace that is just a cover for it spreading even more.

or not.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
25 years into the blob war and humanity is about to lose...
"So you're telling me we had it in a zoo for fun??"

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
tumblr_mlfcbeNRv81snca1co1_250.gif

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
this is generally just really weird reporting given that the organism isn't identified in any way beyond "blob"
setting aside that this isn't even... a newly-discovered organism?

i mean i support zoos having stuff that's not just big mammals, because mammals are mostly boring, but the article is strange

also the "sexes" thing is probably about mating types, which... are sort of like sexes in determining reproductive compatibility, but also not
i'm not in mycology so i only have a vague awareness of them.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Slime molds are weird. But not new.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Behold the "intelligence" of this blob.

Welcome your new slime overlords that have the power to... find the shortest routes between food sources? Pffft.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I was wondering when the TLOU2 marketing campaign was going to kick off. Kind of a weird stunt to start off with, but hey whatever gets people talking about the game

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think it's funny until you and your companions are walking through a dungeon and one of these falls from the ceiling and immediately KOs the Wizard and then melts the Fighters armor with one swing of its pseudopod.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
What do they mean with 720 sexes? Someone science-splain that one to me please.

Also, this is how The Last of Us starts in real life.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So it's basically similar to a jellyfish? A lot of the features it seems to have are similar to things like jellyfish or the chimeric nature of the Portuguese Man'O'War.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
"Physarum polycephalum, literally the "many-headed slime", is a slime mold that inhabits shady, cool, moist areas, such as decaying leaves and logs. Like slime molds in general, it is sensitive to light; in particular, light can repel the slime mold and be a factor in triggering spore growth."

Weak against light for people preparing for the blob war.[/QUOTE]

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
After reading the OP, I went and told my wife, because I thought it was cool. She looked at the picture in the article and said "That's slime mold." We then proceeded to watch a TED Talk about it from several years ago. I love that my wife is a scientist, and I'm just a dumb programmer.

This isn't some new amazing creature. It's been around longer than we have.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm feeling a Mandela effect here, like these things didn't exist in my reality. Is this like the mind bugs in Rick & Morty? Am I too high right now?