• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy a $499 next-gen system at launch?

• Yes, price is irrelevant

Votes: 664 18.2%
  • Yes, if the tech justifies it

Votes: 1,328 36.5%
  • Yes, if the games justify it

Votes: 1,161 31.9%
  • No, $499 is too high, I will wait for a price cut

Votes: 795 21.8%
  • No, and it has nothing to do with price, I just don't want to buy a console at launch

Votes: 431 11.8%
  • No, I am not yet sold on a next generation console

Votes: 382 10.5%

• Total voters

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
Probably not. I waited for a sale on the PS4, and I never bought a PS4 Pro. On top of that, I recently bought a Gaming PC. So it'll take a few exclusives before I put money down again.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
For that price I'd rather get an Oculus Quest.

Having an upgradeable PC, buying the "next big console" feels dumb to me. And I don't fall for exclusive titles so...

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd go for $999 even if it means I can easily play games at 8K/HDR@120fps with AAA games easily matching Ultra graphical settings of the PC versions for the next 4 years. As for the games, I'd never say no to another mainline entry of the Deus Ex franchise.

Deleted member 56773

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2019
I can't imagine buying a console at launch. It just seems like there's been so many launch issues the last couple generations. I'd have to wait probly at least a year to see how the consoles are, see what the games are like, wait for major hardware problems to pass, etc. By that time there will probably be at least some kind of deal after a year.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Pretty much no chance I'd get a non-Nintendo console at launch these days. Wouldn't bite for $300 let alone $500. Only just got a PS4 within the last year and it felt like a good time to. Was able to play most of the games I had an interest in on PC, and I fully expect the majority of games to be playable on PS4 for the next few years still.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Normally it would depend on the games, but I'm a Nintendo fan so this won't really apply for to Sony & Xbox next gen consoles (since neither really have exclusive franchises I'm invested in). I think $500 would be too rich for my blood.

Jul 18, 2018
If 4k and HDR tech run smoothly on the console. Then I will buy it. Otherwise no thanks. That's the only features I want that would make me move away from just PC gaming

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
not a chance. even if you assume they aren't gonna absolutely screw the UK on the conversion by just scratching out the $ and replacing it with an £, that's almost £100 more than the launch PS4 when you convert and add tax.

i think going that high would be a big mistake from a general sales perspective. most of the people in the market for these things don't hang around voting in polls on gaming forums.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
At that price it better have a killer launch line-up or very high quality BC for the best games of last gen.

$399 still remains the sweet spot.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I dont mind the price, I'll get rid of the PS4 pro or One X to offset the price a little
This is pretty much what I'll be doing assuming both PS5 and Scarlett are fully backwards compatible. Just hoping I can get halfway decent compensation on the trade in.
who am I kidding.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, because I don't think I could build a similarly powerful PC at the same price and I want to take the full advantage of the Gamepass.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I would want them to, but I couldn't afford it at launch.

I like that "if the games justify it" is leading.

Spoiler alert: the games will not justify it at launch.

They pretty much never do.

Even though we actually have a confirmed launch game being Halo, which sounds like it's shaping up to be pretty good and have lots of longetivity...it's also going to be on xbox one and PC if you play there.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
These are the boxes we'll be using for the next six years no matter what, barring some sort of catastrophic market crash that ruins one of those companies. Now that proper backwards compatibility is an absolute certainty, there's absolutely no reason to deprive myself from getting one at launch and experiencing it from the ground floor.

And honestly, despite looking very good these days, it's definitely at a point for me where I have a hard time looking past the IQ and performance issues that plague the hardware we have right now. I own a One X and a base PS4, and even though it really doesn't make much sense I'm probably going to buy a Pro this weekend just because I want to see games like Death Stranding properly, and the base system isn't doing it for me anymore.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Absolutely not. The only way I'd even consider it is if there was a big-deal (and I mean BIG-DEAL) game for me ready at launch. Otherwise, I can totally wait for said game(s) to release before I pick up the console. I'm in no rush at all for the next generation, especially when current-generation games already look so incredible and we've been getting heavily diminishing returns from new generations of hardware for awhile now.

Alcohog

Apr 18, 2018
I started collecting loose change in a bucket at the start of the gen. I will have it covered and it won't impact my bank account at all. Stay thrifty my friends.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
no, if its 499 then I will go stadia until the price drops

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
No. My backlogs for current gen are massive, and better graphics etc. aren't going to make me want to upgrade until I take my time on this backlog. I've effectively stopped buying new games as of late last year, and my backlogs should last me a couple of years at least.' I'll buy whatever slim, LE bundle that catches my eye at that point.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No, I would most likely wait. Though i'm a lot more budget conscious with my gaming these days and rarely buy things at launch, though I am hoping to pick up a next generation machine day one if the price is around what they launched for this generation.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll buy it at whatever price, day one console is always fun even when it's disappointing, just as a fan of the industry. It's a function of disposable income. I waited a year before getting an Xbox 360 even though I was a lot more excited for that than I am Scarlett or PS5.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Nope, not with midgen refreshes.
That only happened because 4K took off faster then expected and prices also dropped quicker.

I can't see a midgen happening with next gen. 8k is currently nowhere to be seen (for the average consumer) and hardware will be much more modern upon release, unlike the already outdated hardware when current gen came out.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I've been putting 50€ a week aside since January to buy a new receiver, 4k TV and launch console once the next gen starts. So no, the price doesn't matter.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
I never bought a console at launch before, mainly due to the lack of new games and backward compatibility support. But the fact that PS5 is gonna run ps4 games, i'm gonna buy day one, for sure.

Since that I can play all ms/xbox titles that grab my atention on my pc, I'm not interessed on the next-gen Xbox, tho.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, gonna see if there's a refresh again. $500, when I've got a backlog, ehhh, better to wait for a deal

May 15, 2019
The Switch is the only console I've bought at launch ever, and really I could have just played Zelda on my Wii U. There's never a game worth buying a console for at launch these days.

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
No, I'll keep playing PS4 games and work through my backlog. I'll jump in after the price drops to $300.