Would you buy a $499 next-gen system at launch?

• Yes, price is irrelevant

Votes: 664 18.2%
  • Yes, if the tech justifies it

Votes: 1,328 36.5%
  • Yes, if the games justify it

Votes: 1,161 31.9%
  • No, $499 is too high, I will wait for a price cut

Votes: 795 21.8%
  • No, and it has nothing to do with price, I just don't want to buy a console at launch

Votes: 431 11.8%
  • No, I am not yet sold on a next generation console

Votes: 382 10.5%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
$399 is my limit. I bought a Xbox One X when I could get that price, and I recently bought a Rift S for that amount.

Any more for a single gaming item isn't worth it to me (just my perspective).

Metroidfan09

Jan 10, 2019
England
Always depends on launch games, I'm considering getting Scarlett on that fact Halo is launching even though it is coming out on Xbone id rather drop the money and have the 'truer' experience

Izamaru

Nov 27, 2018
Greece
Yes when there are enough games to justify my purchase. I never buy a console unless there is a killer app on it.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
It really depends on a combination of games and tech.

I mainly use the PS4 for VR these days..

...so ideally I'd like info on PSVR 2 before I laid money down on the PS5.

Kokonaute

Jan 23, 2019
France
I was tempted to answer "yes, the price is irrelevant" because to be honest I'm an impulsive buyer when it comes to videogames. But the price needs to be justified by the tech at least. The games, not so much at launch (even if it would be great to have good games) because I know they will come eventually.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
Hell to the fuck no. The way this gen started with Ps4/XB1 was awful. It took what, 2 years to actually get some good games and most games from the first year were cross gen games. I will just play all the cross gen games on my Ps4 until a price cut. Also the Switch came out at the perfect time because when the Ps5 comes out is when the Switch is going to be on fucking fire with its library of games and it will keep me preoccupied until the Ps5 gets a price cut.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I paid £449 for the One X on its launch, which launched at $499 in America if I remember correctly?

I will be there day one for the next Xbox.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
If there are games to justify the price, sure. I doubt there will be as I expect most games to be cross gen.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nope....unless there are some great launch titles that aren't available on PC or on the prior system(in this case a PS4 Pro) as a cross-gen title. I'm saving that $499 towards a PC upgrade.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I like games thaaaat much. I'm much more happy letting others work out the potential kinks and play the launch titles.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason id buy a $500 ps4 is if marvel vs capcom 4 came out as an exclusive launch title

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Price is irrelevant is not the answer I want to give. $499 for all the tech they're talking about is a steal, but I wouldn't pay a penny more. And if anything I'd actually prefer to pay $399. At $499 it's easy to talk myself out of it.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but I'm an adult with a good amount of disposable income, and I want those Sony exclusives.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
hell yea if both tech and games are there I will be there as well.

As I know Project Scarlett will deliver tech wise and also has Halo Infinite as launch title I'm just set. I won't need to know anything else, I'm there day one lol, I will just start to save some money and sell my PS4 and Xbox One X to afford it, just bring me this shit already.

I will grab the PS5 once GOW2 launches, as I did with PS4.

I'm just keeping my Switch.

Oct 28, 2017
if i buy a next gen console it's gonna be a ps5 but...if i'm gonna get every multiplatform japanese games on pc, and sony pretty much went more toward western style exclusives i'm not sure what would i play on ps5

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I'm an Xbox gamer first and foremost but with gamepass and me still having access to all the launch games I'd probably go for the ps5 I'd there the same price. If the scarlet has better tech and halo infinite looks infinitely better on the next gen (I honestly think the X's version won't be that bad, if it's not 4K though that might make me bite the bullet) system then maaaybe I'll get scarlet first. Honestly I'm a nerd lol I'm buying both either way.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Not worried about the games being there, with this back compat across space time new wave thing. I skipped the 4k versions of both consoles, so I'm likely there, day one, for the Gigaflops.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Price is pretty much irrelevant to me, as long as it's not like $1000. I'm a sucker for this stuff.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh the other thing to factor in is that a lot of people will probably want to buy a 4K TV for these consoles (myself included) That might affect the overall adoption rates early on, unless people are really willing to splurge.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
No.
Not in my high-inflation, constant-devaluation economy. I will wait.
My Xbox One X should be serviceable for a few more years after Scarlett launches.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
It's very expensive, and I'm not still done with the current generation. I can still wait 2-3 more years with my ps4 and switch

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I could care less about hardware. It is all about the games for me. Show me games that justify a $500 purchase and I might buy it.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Would I buy it for myself now that I am adult, make a living etc? Yes. Would I as a parent buy it for my kid at that price if I didn't game myself? Probably not to be honest.

I do really think they'd be limiting their audience by pricing $399, but since there will still be enough people buying this as fast as they can build them the first year, that won't be a real problem.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who waits for price cuts for a lot of games, I'll be doing the same with the new consoles. That price point seems fine, but it's just not for me since this console generation doesn't feel old yet.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Yea

But mostly just cause I was about to upgrade to the PS4 Pro recently, but decided to save my money for PS5.
Now I have to get it Day 1.

But of course that's only if there's backwards compatibility at launch, and at least 1 good launch title.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As much as I try to talk myself out of it I end up buying every console. Best just except it and start saving. 2 of each, my wallet weeps

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
The consoles already seem underwhelming to me given Digital Foundry saying they will be comparable to a 1080ti. But if the games are going to be good I'll probably bite.

Edit.. I also think I might update my graphics card in the short term next month with the new Super cards coming out.
Screenshot-20190619-152739-Chrome.jpg

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Yes. What takes some of the sting out of the price is the trade in I get for my existing console. Without this I would probably wait for a price cut.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Lol I'm not going back to PS3 prices nor am I going to buy another "Xbox One" priced console at launch.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. It's going to feel like an incremental upgrade over Pro/1X at launch. I'll wait until the price and titles justify it. Until then, I'll settle for streaming the occasional game that truly demands new hardware.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's gotta have either really good tech or really good games.

Either way, I'm in day one for Xbox Scarlett and the PlayStation 5. Unless something major changes.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Hopefully the correct thread this time!I never buy a "generic" gaming machine without at least 4 exclusives, unless it's under £250, even then it's a waste of money. I have a PC if I just wanted power.

However Switch was a different beast conceptually so I got that sucker day one.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If it's powerful enough to justify the price, fine. But I'm still gonna wait until a Capcom fighting game is announced before I throw down my cash.