• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
In retrospect it will be kinda funny if Sony got the Starfield timed exclusivity already signed.
Jim Ryan sees Phil Spencer at Bethesda Softworks (2020 colorized)
432a4a281662223cf5b94f616d4c7711.png

Dec 13, 2018
doom eternal alone sold 3m copies...digitally...during it's launch month. that probably alone cleared $1.12b.

Lol... that's like 19 million copies sold at $60 with the all the money (ignoring platform and vendor cuts) going straight to the devs ... so realistically more like 40 million copies sold to hit 1.12 billion assuming the dev cut is $30

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
George sold Star Wars for peanuts confirmed. Wasn't Disney the one who made Marvel the behemoth it is now? That one seems to be an unfair comparison.

They already had their movie business and Ironman was out, with Iron Man 2 in production. But, yes, it was right at the start of Marvel's growth.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
if they already had the timed exclusivity signed you can bet microsoft would be buying out of that contract immediately
I can see it though I'm curious how much that would cost. granted I guess I also wanna know how expensive these timed exclusivity deals are too. I imagine the

Jim Ryan sees Phil Spencer at Bethesda Softworks (2020 colorized)
432a4a281662223cf5b94f616d4c7711.png
raw

Both realizing what just happened on the car ride home

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Everybody should buy all the consoles?

Maybe, think, "I will work more hours" to get them.

Last edited:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
For context, it's a bigger number than Disney paid for Marvel & Star Wars combined.

Marvel was not the proud studio behind multiple billion dollar films at that point, and they had parted out their most valuable IP beforehand. Remember, when that sale happened, Disney was staring down the barrel of having to make people care about Thor and Hawkeye while other studios had the big guns of Spiderman and the X-men. The MCU is huge now obviously, but people were not so confident in it back then.

Star Wars was a sale from a private individual who had all the rights, which is a much different scenario than what we have here. George wanted to sell, and one person isn't going to turn down $4 billion. And besides, Disney has already made their money back from that anyway. The films alone have made about ~$5.7B against budgets of ~$1.3B. Even cutting their take-home pay 50%, that's still over a billion just on the films. The shows, toys, merch, etc... are all worth billions, easy. Hell, I can't imagine how much that Mos Eisley attraction at the park has brought in.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
In retrospect it will be kinda funny if Sony got the Starfield timed exclusivity already signed.

"One of the things that has me most excited is seeing the roadmap with Bethesda's future games, some announced and many unannounced, to Xbox console and PC including Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios."

news.xbox.com

Welcoming the Talented Teams and Beloved Game Franchises of Bethesda to Xbox - Xbox Wire

Critically acclaimed creators of The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, DOOM, Dishonored, Quake, Starfield and more join Team Xbox Today is a special day, as we welcome some of the most accomplished studios in the games industry to Xbox. We are thrilled to announce Microsoft has entered into...

dryz

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. See my post here.

They've been aggressively money-hatting, or in the process of, games with the sole intention of keeping them off Xbox for a period of time. Ironic how this and the two smaller timed exclusives turned out, no?

Edit: actual ResetEra topic about it

Sony probably knew Bethesda is going to be acquired though and paid for the time exclusivity for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo (and tried for Starfield) exactly because of that.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
He was much more gentle in years past. He's taken himself completely off of social media this year

that's just not true. In interviews and on social media he has always had a reputation for being blunt and confrontational. it's such a well known fact it's a bit of an in-joke with TES and fallout fans. it's entirely possible he's taken himself away from the public eye for whatever reason, but it wasn't because he was getting uncharacteristically more aggressive because of recent releases. your theory is projection, not detective work

edit—remember his responses to the paid mods criticism? or the horse armor criticism. or people asking when the next game was going to be announced before fallout 4 was revealed, or people asking about the next TES

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019
I am going to stop your right here. Making a billion in the box office does not translate into a billion of revenue. Considering all markets, it usually averages out to 40% of the revenue for the movie company, the rest goes to the cinema chains.

Disney will no doubt return money from SW deal (eventually) from all the other streams: shows, licensing, merchandise. However, to claim that the movies made 1B each for Disney, is extremely misleading and misinforming others.

You are terrible at math. Jesus Christ...

I know, it is steel steal at that price.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Lets talk about this. That is a massive number, like minus Microsoft, Nintendo, & Sony what company in gaming is worth that much?

...lots of companies? Like, EA's market cap is $38B. Activision's market cap is $64B. Take Two's market cap is $19B.

Zenimax is a big get, to be sure, but they're not anywhere near "biggest third party" territory.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I am going to stop your right here. Making a billion in the box office does not translate into a billion of revenue. Considering all markets, it usually averages out to 40% of the revenue for the movie company, the rest goes to the cinema chains.

Disney will no doubt return money from SW deal (eventually) from all the other streams: shows, licensing, merchandise. However, to claim that the movies made 1B each for Disney, is extremely misleading and misinforming others.

You are terrible at math. Jesus Christ...
You don't think Disney didn't already make money back with rentals, movie purchases, theme park attractions and Disney +

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Sooooo.. more games on Game Pass day one, but possibly no option to buy ps 5 version. Capitalism creates, capitalism destroys.
On their other hand... if Prey 2 will happen because of this, so be it. By maybe I'm biased...

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo.. more games on Game Pass day one, but possibly no option to buy ps 5 version. Capitalism creates, capitalism destroys.
On their other hand... if Prey 2 will happen because of this, so be it. By maybe I'm biased...

I believe there will be an opportunity to buy! This is just silly thinking there will not be, yet that is the difference .... buy

Day one release:

PS5: $70
Xbox: Gamepass

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still find it hard to believe that the last new Elder Scrolls game released 2 months after Resistance 3.

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
Lol. I can't "prove" it to you, because Bethesda doesn't release numbers. But for your information, these are Top 10 bestselling games in US in 2015:

Best-Selling Physical Games in US for All of 2015:
Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)

www.gamespot.com

Top Ten Best-Selling US Games of 2015 and December Revealed

Here are the best-selling games for December 2015 and the full year.

Fallout 4 is #3 despite being released at the end of the year. The only games that outsold it are COD and Madden NFL. Notice that Witcher 3, that went on to sell nearly 30 million over its lifetime (and was released much earlier in the year), isn't even on the list. So it's pretty safe to say that Fallout 4 has sold at least 30 million by now. So please stop rewriting history. It absolutely was a huge hit.
US=/=World

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Incredible amount of talented studios and big franchises now under Microsoft.
Two days ago i hated this decision, still kinda am since my prefered platforms to play on are Sony and Nintendo, but honestly XBox now has gained some magic for me by this move i can't exactly explain what it is.

It's still early and ultimately the quality of the games are going to tell the truth, but i as much as it is weird to tell it to myself: Bethesda fits Microsoft and viceversa.

In 2 or 3 years, when maybe the next TES releases, i can see me getting a Series X and so being in posses of all big three consoles first time ever.

Very very smart move from Microsoft.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I was able to get Phil, Pete and Todd on to chat about this (and tell a few stories!) if you want to give it a watch

https://youtu.be/WI2IPeocbAA

Fun watch, thanks.

Always fun to hear these war stories from conferences past.

You can't fool me though. Or the other Era members. It's very transparent that there's a cryptic message in the layout of the Zoom call participants:

MN PS

PH TH

I look forward to the decryptions from my fellow Era sleuths.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
I hope that Figboy doesn't mind me posting this here, but this post is quality and gives a good insight into the acquisition process.
God I hate feeding into this tiresome acquisition talk, but exactly. These things don't just automagically happen.

These acquisitions take a long time. I can't say a lot about my experiences because of NDAs, but I've experienced first hand (multiple times) the acquisition process, and it. is. long.

Chances are, this Microsoft/Zenimax acquisition has been in the pipeline for a very long time. It's also more than likely that Microsoft wasn't the only company bidding for Zenimax. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was also in the running at one point.

What Zenimax will do is produce a packet of what they're selling. It's a very broad strokes, high level packet touting the value of their company. This is what they will send out to prospective buyers (ie, companies that have shown an interest in acquiring the company, like Microsoft). That's round 1.

After receiving the "sales pitch" so to speak, any interested parties will request a more deep dive into the company they're looking to acquire. That's when Zenimax would have provided an even more detailed packet with a breakdown of the company's goings on. Things like general financials, upcoming projects and their projected costs and returns, and other details that are confidential, but not "corporate secrets" level confidential. That's round 2.

And once again, the pool of potential buyers will shrink, as those companies are then weighing the benefits of the acquisition, and if it fits into their overall business plan/goals for their company long term. At this point, a bidding war can develop. Especially if multiple buyers decide that purchasing Zenimax fits into their long term financial goals. All of this is happening behind closed doors, and can take months as Zenimax, and the prospective buyers deliberate amongst themselves whether or not they want to get into business with each other. That's Round 3.

Then, at some point, the "final" round begins. Zenimax will try to leverage as much of their actual and perceived value as possible to get the highest possible bid for their company. It's at this point that any remaining buyers will opt out, or, Zenimax decides to make a decision on whom they want to go with, based on how well the individual meetings with prospective buyers went (ie, do these guys seem cool, not shitheads, and have the best interest of the company at heart) and the deal is struck between the party they decide. That's just a super general breakdown of the process, in part, based on industry experience with acquisitions. Then the actual time frame of the closing of the deal can take additional weeks/months, and once both parties have received that approval, and the process of finalizing the acquisition is set in stone (ie, contracts are established, and discussions about how to integrate the company into their now parent company are underway), they'll announce it publicly.

Chances are high that within Sony, for example, it was known that Zenimax was up for acquisition. It's also more than possible that they were aware of who the interested acquirers were. It's also more than possible that Sony, knowing their own long term plans for the PlayStation division, either opted to participate in the acquisition of Zenimax, and chose to walk away from bidding, or didn't bother to participate in the bidding at all, and moved on to other plans to offset the potential loss of the content Zenimax would normally be releasing on their platform. For example, locking down timed exclusivity of Deathloop for PS5 while they could, so even if another company buys them, they would benefit in some way from that acquisition, without having to drop billions on the company as a whole, and take on the costs of running that publisher, and making sure it was a profitable investment.

Just because this was out of left field for us, the consumer, doesn't mean it was out of left field for Sony. They will respond to this, though not in a direct way, is my guess. They aren't going to come out and say, "Well, since Microsoft did this, we're doing this to counter!" They'll mix it in with marketing speak about "The future of PlayStation," or some such shit. I obviously don't know what's going on behind closed doors at Sony, but I doubt they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off, panicking at the loss of Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, etc, etc. I'm sure they're more concerned about making sure the launch of the PS5 is successful, and meets the demand, as any plans to "counter" the Zenimax acquisition will have been kickstarted the moment they learned of the acquisition, which could have been months ago, if not longer, depending on how long Zenimax let it be known within the industry that they were up for sale. This is all speculation on my part, however, and I doubt we'll learn of the intricacies of this deal anytime soon, if ever.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to get Phil, Pete and Todd on to chat about this (and tell a few stories!) if you want to give it a watch

https://youtu.be/WI2IPeocbAA
Saw this on SIFTD and was just looking for the thread to post it, lol.

Funny hearing about the ("double memory party")

and it's so weird to hear that (they "could 'reboot' the original Xbox and the user can't tell" when they ran out of memory) in Morrowind.

I hope that Figboy doesn't mind me posting this here, but this post is quality and gives a good insight into the acquisition process.
Thank you for bringing that over here. It was an interesting read.

Last edited:

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Thats really interesting. Especially considering that Sony may have known about this for a long time. Which makes me wonder more if they started looking for some other big acquisitions of their own.

Oct 24, 2019
We know that GaaS projects are appealing prospects for streaming service providers because of the way they entice consumers to remain subbed month after month. We've seen many (though not all) of Microsoft's franchises designed around this GaaS mold like Forza, Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Halo Infinite, and if rumors are true, Fable.

With that in mind, how do you think this will affect the way BethPub games are designed going forward? Will they mostly be allowed to retain their traditional self-contained structure, or will we see things like Elder Scrolls, Doom, Wolfenstein, etc. become living platforms that are meant to last for years on end?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
to me it seems like developers decide the game they want to make GaaS or not at Microsoft. If Bethesda wants to make a GaaS they will, if they don't they won't.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Up to Bethesda. Based on their history it will be a self contained single player experience

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I'll never understand why people think it makes sense to subscribe to a service to play a GaaS game when it'd be cheaper to buy the game.

It's like people have it in their head that a single player experience can't exist on Game Pass. Is every piece of content on Netflix a sitcom?

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Microsoft lacked the big AAA single player games sony had. They then bought one if the biggest makers of AAA single player games.

Defeats the purpose to turn them into multiplayer GaaS titles.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep thinking games have to be turned into GaaS because they're on Game Pass?

The service itself is that there is a library of games. You don't need to convince people to keep sticking around in a single game.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
why? did Ubisoft buy them?

MS have been okay with the MTX stuff so far, especially compared to EA, Take 2, Ubisoft and Activision.
But, Zenimax gave us horse armour, so....

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Beth already has two versions of these games that are GAAS. I suspect they'll keep doing that and release the single player versions along side, at least for now. Hard to judge where things will be say 4-5 years from now.