• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So the doctor (fatchi? can't remember his name spelling) said he 100% meant what he said this morning about a shut down and then said more guidelines would come out tomorrow and refused to comment.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like our governor here in Colorado is about to close the ski resorts since all but one of the positive Corona tests are coming from there. Can't believe people would still choose to gather at a cold climate resort filled with people from all over the world.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Guys I'll admit here in the UK I'm very anxious. Have older parents (over 50/60 both) and young children 7 and 4 respectively. What are the most vulnerable groups to COVID-19 whats the current death rate?

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, 3590 is the real and correct increment of new positives.
2853 is the increment of active positive cases. But active positive cases are deputed of deaths and recoveries.
Well, yeah. But there are 2800 new living people that contracted the virus, not 3500, that's the increment in total cases.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
President of Serbia has just activated state of emergency:

- great focus on voluntary home quarantine of elderly population, will become a law if people ignore it
- establishment of new support network for the elderly [package deliveries, health checkups, etc.]
- shutting down of daycare, schools, colleges, gyms...
- reduction of work hours for restaurants and bars
- no gatherings of over 50 people
- expansion of health protection for medical and goods distribution centers
- border quarantine for everyone [symptoms or not] entering the country - 14 days for Serbians and 28 days for foreigners
- for now, no full on city lockdowns or road travel restrictions
- businesses can continue working
- he's pissed that EU has stopped helping non-EU countries, places great hope in help from China

As of today, Serbia has 48 infected and 283 tested individuals [for now they test only those who show strong symptoms]. No deaths, but two of the infected are in critical condition.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): ignoring the modpost in regards to posting unsubstantiated rumors

So this is a whole thread, but it is terrifying. Makes it looks like the real danger is that the virus attacks the heart after a few days, and there may be no stopping it if it goes that route. This kind of mirrors what we were hearing out of China.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I work at one of the largest oil refineries in the world and I feel like the company is trying to thread the needle of staying open yet enforcing social distancing. Like, they're making us enter and exit our building only through one door and telling us to stay 6ft. away from each other... but that's physically impossible while conducting regular business. Not to mention that our building is damp and humid (thanks to a shitty HVAC system) so it's like the perfect breeding ground for pestilence.

I really wonder what's gonna happen if/when cases pop up inside the facility. Wouldn't we HAVE to close at that point?
If it's a big company, they should implement a thermal check on entrance as well as placing hand sanitizers in multiple spots. Have the office been cleaned lately?

Try suggesting all that to your superior.

Guys I'll admit here in the UK I'm very anxious. Have older parents (over 50/60 both) and young children 7 and 4 respectively. What are the most vulnerable groups to COVID-19 whats the current death rate?
The older they are, the higher the risk. Underlying health conditions are an important factor too.

Joliet Jake

Oct 27, 2017
Watching that press conference you can tell Trump hates this so much. Not because of the people that are going to die, because he doesn't give a shit about that. But because this is the first thing that has forced him to be a real president, and he doesn't want to deal with shit at all. This is real work. It's not having a rally, golfing at Mar-a-Lago, or signing an executive order to undo something Obama did. That's all he knows, or wants, to do.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
What are the most vulnerable groups to COVID-19 whats the current death rate?
Death rates aren't known to very good accuracy at the moment. But:

Global death rate seems to be somewhere in the vague ballpark of 1-3%. Vulnerability increases sharply with age: kids seem to barely be affected at all when they get infected, and the death rate seems to be somewhere around .2% for adults below forty. Above forty things shoot up very rapidly with age. See here.

Red

Oct 26, 2017

So this is a whole thread, but it is terrifying. Makes it looks like the real danger is that the virus attacks the heart after a few days, and there may be no stopping it if it goes that route. This kind of mirrors what we were hearing out of China.

There was a funeral I went to three weeks ago, in Ohio, for a 53 year old woman who died of heart failure after a prolonged "flu," despite testing negative for flu several times. I have suspicions now.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Again tell us the current number per day piece of shit
You're clearly live-posting/reacting to some press conference of some sort, but just so you know, it's very unclear which one in particular and what you're responding to, so... please try to be more specific in your posts ok? This isn't a "live reaction" thread.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This bagel shop I usually go to doesn't take cards because they obviously do tax avoidance. A place full of tourists every day, that handles hand-made food, that takes only cash. Dumbasses.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

There was a funeral I went to three weeks ago, in Ohio, for a 53 year old woman who died of heart failure after a prolonged "flu," despite testing negative for flu several times. I have suspicions now.

stop posting and freaking out about "information" from random unverified people on twitter. for fuck's sake

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

Kids are safe. So far there's been no fatality for anyone under the age of 10. They don't seem to get hit as hard either. But yeah as others have said, past the age 50, more vulnerability sets in, and if there are underlying conditions, that boost vulnerability.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
ddshcec-ab2e25ba-3ace-4a6c-a346-9b6fd4af00b4.jpg

Keep in mind that these haven't been updated for a few weeks and the situation is changing constantly.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
What did he say about a shutdown?

He was asked about it this morning and he said the Federal Govt must do anything and everything to slow and stop this and he would not be out or rule against a nation wide shut down. He was then asked if the administration was actually listening to their advice and he said so far they have gone with what they've told them.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Spain, France and UK all tracking worse than Italy...

Seriously though, what's upo with the German numbers? I was gonna ask why they aren't in the graph, but it only starts after the tenth death, and we barely passed the threshold, despite having more cases than France...

Each country counts death differently. Germany isn't counting dead people "with corona" but "from corona" which is a distinction Italy can't do because of how our healtcare work , basically:

- regions adminster healthcare
- the central state is responsible for the contagion management, statistics, plans etc...

Meaning that whenever there is a deceased, the region pass the responsibility to the central state for determining if the case of death was effectively Corona. The central state is both overwhelmed and also want to interfere as little as possible with the local healthcare facilities, so they just classify everyone who died and was diagnosed with corona as a victim. Other countries with central healthcare management can make their own call on each victim to classify them as they wish.

Second, there's a matter of who they are testing. Italy mean age of cases is 70 years old. Germany is , iirc, around 50. This mean that the majority of Germany reported cases are low-risk, since there has been no victim under 30 in EU iirc, and mortality in people below 50 is very low. In truth, Italy cases are probably 10 times higher than Germany, with a large subset of population with mild flu symptom that never get tested.

Keep in mind that northern Italy healthcare is one of the best of the world, and that the virus is the same here, and in the rest of europe. There aren't large enough differences in europe to cause any significant deviation in the numbers. Deviations in the numbers are strictly due to how numbers are counted. Italy is severely underreporting/undertesting their cases for pratical/monetary reasons (we stopped wide testing a couple of weeks ago because it wasn't feasible, we still are doing a lot of tests), while other countries which are further behind in the contagion can still afford a wider testing routine.

The virus being more deadly on a side of the alp than the other is a ridicolous notion scientifically speaking.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Watching that press conference you can tell Trump hates this so much. Not because of the people that are going to die, because he doesn't give a shit about that. But because this is the first thing that has forced him to be a real president, and he doesn't want to deal with shit at all. This is real work. It's not having a rally, golfing at Mar-a-Lago, or signing an executive order to undo something Obama did. That's all he knows, or wants, to do.
Normally he would just shit talk whoever his opponent was and stir up his base, but this virus isn't a person he can drown out with insults.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
I met with some of the other teachers at my school last night, most of them thought the PE teacher and I were joking when we were saying we wouldn't be surprised if the school year is finished. On paper we're out until March 30th (with students back the 31st), but considering everything is accelerating pretty quickly, at least in the US, I'll be very surprised if we're actually in class again by that time. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we do bare-bones online teaching until May before school systems close 100% until Fall. Even more so because I'm in Texas and STAAR testing is/was scheduled soon (as in beginning of April for certain grades). Anyone familiar with the Texas education system knows that after STAAR, it's pretty much all review anyway until summer.
we received a few emails today in VA about preparing for remote education. the Governor banning public gatherings over 100 today is probably a sign of things to come.

and yeah, I've been thinking it might be a wrap for the last 24 hours or so. it's impossible to predict at the moment though.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
President of Serbia has just activated state of emergency:

- great focus on voluntary home quarantine of elderly population, will become a law if people ignore it
- establishment of new support network for the elderly [package deliveries, health checkups, etc.]
- shutting down of daycare, schools, colleges, gyms...
- reduction of work hours for restaurants and bars
- no gatherings of over 50 people
- expansion of health protection for medical and goods distribution centers
- border quarantine for everyone [symptoms or not] entering the country - 14 days for Serbians and 28 days for foreigners
- for now, no full on city lockdowns or road travel restrictions
- businesses can continue working
- he's pissed that EU has stopped helping non-EU countries, places great hope in help from China

As of today, Serbia has 48 infected and 283 tested individuals [for now they test only those who show strong symptoms]. No deaths, but two of the infected are in critical condition.

Sounds like good measures except closing schools and daycare.With the elderly at risk you can't even count on grandparents to step in as day-carers. So essentially everything from businesses to hospitals and transportation or energy to government offices will run out of staff, and the supply chain will be broken.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
University of Tasmania is moving to online delivery of their courses, with the intention of having a full-institution test on the 20th, starting a split model for working from home, rotating staff on/off campus in 2 week chunks, banning overseas travel and non-essential interstate travel on university business, and postponing graduation ceremonies due to the 500 people at an event ban.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been fascinated by South Korea's success in fighting the virus. It's so obvious that everyone wearing masks in public stops the spread of the virus without any drastic quarantines.

So why are we in the west still being fed lies that we don't need masks? I realize that right now they are in high demand and medical professionals need them first, but I think masks is the only way to stop future outbreaks until we have a vaccine. Why aren't governments doing everything to ramp up mask productions? It's so baffling to me. We can't live in this semi-shut down world. How long is this even sustainable? A month, two before it all collapses? It should be a law to wear a mask in public in all countries. Masks look ugly? Well, no one is stopping manufacturers from making cool looking masks that could be fashion symbols, just like any other piece of clothing (tshirts, caps, etc).

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
stop posting and freaking out about "information" from random unverified people on twitter. for fuck's sake
Fucking hell, true. In my facebook feed had to just ignore people because of shit like that and i'm talking about people that work in the health department, which makes it more ridiculous. It's just, i heard someone say in the corridor that her lungs are torn to pieces. A day after a doctor talks to a tv station: She is recovering well.

I mean....., the situation is bad as it is, it is not necessary to parrot everything you hear or read.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like good measures except closing schools and daycare.With the elderly at risk you can't even count on grandparents to step in as day-carers.
He explicitly begged the nation not to bring kids to grandparents.

IMO we probably have much more infected than what is officially stated, but at least people will maybe become serious about health in the following weeks.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
So they closed all schools and bars/restaurants in the Netherlands...

But all the stores remain open so I don't really see the point? People will infect each other when they shop.

In one week I spend at most an hour in the supermarket. Compare that to 40 hours at work, and at least 5 hours of entertainment time. Cutting out the 45 hours and keeping the 1 hour limits the chance of transferring something exponentially. imo.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like good measures except closing schools and daycare.With the elderly at risk you can't even count on grandparents to step in as day-carers. So essentially everything from businesses to hospitals and transportation or energy to government offices will run out of staff, and the supply chain will be broken.
but schools are massive vectors. a dammed if you do, dammed if you dont.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
It took 6 months for them to develop a vaccine for Zika. Now that they've isolated the virus I hope that means we can find a vaccine quickly. That and warmer temps hopefully keep this thing at bay until folks can get vaccinated.

That, or they realize this thing isn't as deadly as it seemed and is indeed comparable to the flu.

I just want to know what we're dealing with. The uncertainty is starting to get to me.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the official confirmation that I can work from home until further notice. Honestly a load of anxiety off of the shoulders right now.

I just want to know what we're dealing with. The uncertainty is starting to get to me.

The uncertainty of all this is the worst part imo. Everything changes by the day.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
This chart and seeing countries continuing to follow italys graph (or in case of spain be higher than italy) is one of the most unsettling thing i've seen.

European countries have not taken this seriously enough. They're just now starting measures they should've done at least 1-2 weeks ago.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not freaking out. I think of it as an interesting footnote in the last few weeks.

you're adding kindling to an (as of now, at least) completely unsubstantiated rumor with no source. until we hear an update on how the virus works from someone who knows and not some guy on twitter with ~2000 followers who "knows a guy" this is a fool's errand.

Fucking hell, true. In my facebook feed had to just ignore people because of shit like that and i'm talking about people that work in the health department, which makes it more ridiculous. It's just, i heard someone say in the corridor that her lungs are torn to pieces. A day after a doctor talks to a tv station: She is recovering well.

I mean....., the situation is bad as it is, it is not necessary to parrot everything you hear or read.

right, exactly. i'm not trying to downplay anything, but things are serious enough in reality without baseless speculation and panic. cross every bridge as we come to it

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
WHO Situation Report (Issue 55, 10a CET March 15)

Global:
153517 cases (+10982)
5735 deaths (+343)

China:
81048 cases (+27)
3204 deaths (+10)

Outside of China:
72469 cases (+10955)
2531 deaths (+333)
143 countries/regions (+9)

===

At this pace tomorrow there will be more cases outside of China than in China :(

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
So I have a question. Let's say the curve is flattened, what next?

Does that mean we can resume our daily life? I dont think thats the case, unless Im wrong?