• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gigamear

Jun 23, 2018
That's not quite correct. A lot of the Covid-19 cases are considered mild, but that doesn't mean that the symptoms are mild. It mostly just means that that person doesn't have to be hospitalized. Apparently most cases still have symptoms strong enough to really wreck your systems for a few days. One of the peculiar things about it is that it often strikes very quickly - going from no symptoms to strong symptoms over the course of just a few hours.
What I'm saying is that it's important for people to understand that this is a manageable disease. If you, or someone close to you, gets infected, it's very possible to get through it in a way that won't always require something dramatic to be done. Keep in mind, this is obviously circumstantial.

In the case of the spanish flu, people were drowning in their own blood because of lung build up, and had intense skin reactions because of their body fighting the infection. Hospitals were essential to fighting that disease in a way that isn't as crucial now. Just be responsible and take care of yourself, and things will be okay.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Well then, the company I work for (in Norway) just let me know that I'm supposed to work from home as much as possible until further notice, and at least until Easter. That's going to be an interesting change of pace. Luckily, as a software engineer I can do my job from home without any real trouble.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
What I'm saying is that it's important for people to understand that this is a manageable disease. If you, or someone close to you, gets infected, it's very possible to get through it in a way that won't always require something dramatic to be done. Keep in mind, this is obviously circumstantial.

In the case of the spanish flu, people were drowning in their own blood because of lung build up, and had intense skin reactions because of their body fighting the infection. Hospitals were essential to fighting that disease in a way that isn't as crucial now. Just be responsible and take care of yourself, and things will be okay.

Mmmm...might want to read up on Italy. The US is on their path with infection rates. And they have national health care too, so I imagine the US will be worse off with the spread. And you have the biggest amount of Obese people in the world, which is bad fucking news for this.

Sure, it might not be a shockingly bad virus, but it transmits very easily, and will kill thousands of vulnerable people.

People need to stop with the 'its just the flu, it will be okay' schtick

Deleted member 36105

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Looks like I'm staying until the ship sinks.

I will be assisting ICT with the testing and preparation of the work from home infrastructure. The person that usually would do that has preexisting conditions so he's at risk in case of contagion.

That means i will be seeing people face to face a lot more. I kinda wish i had some sort of protection.

Jul 3, 2019
Mmmm...might want to read up on Italy. The US is on their path with infection rates. And they have national health care too, so I imagine the US will be worse off with the spread. And you have the biggest amount of Obese people in the world, which is bad fucking news for this.

Sure, it might not be a shockingly bad virus, but it transmits very easily, and will kill thousands of vulnerable people.

We are only at the beginning as well.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I see people still praising the draconian measures of the Chinese government, but the epidemiologist of our government just stated that mass quarantine like in Wuhan or Italy doesn't work because people will try to flee before the quarantine takes places and thus actually excelerate the spread.

It happened in the first 10 hours before Wuhan got fully lockdown.
I think at this moment, everyone should have sense that this is a war not only rely on the healthcare workers or the government, but also rely on every normal people. Don't get infected and protect ourselves. Stay calm. If one has symptoms, dial to report to the doctor and try to do self quarantine to protect family. (But actually if you are not in the outbreak city, it's most come out to be just a cold).
The government and companies should take responsibilities to guarantee the supply chain.
For normal people, take this time to have a break, stay with family, play some games. It's not that difficult.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fox news now pumping out analysis why mass quarantines are unconstitutional - it is easy to see why #s in US will get exponentially worse

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How is that overreacting? This is reality. It isn't a bad idea to stock up for a year. It is smart to not leave the house if you can. And gyms and theaters will close. How is that a stretch?
It's very much overreacting to stock up for a year. What possible reason would anyone have to do that? You realize that aside from the old and people with pre-existing issues, the vast majority of people who get this, it lasts a couple weeks and then goes away, leaving them no worse for wear? That's not going to majorly interrupt supply chains for months. Even in China when they really clamped down on people going anywhere, they left the grocery stores open. What people should be doing is, when they go grocery shopping, maybe pick up a little extra. Grab an extra pack of TP, a few days extra food/liquids (and you don't need "shelf stable", beans and spam, we aren't losing power).

This isn't Mad Max, you don't need a year's worth of supplies!

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah all I've done is stock up for two weeks in case you can't leave the house

Only exception will be to walk the dog but I know a nice little woodland I can hop in the car to that no-one else bothers with so incredibly easy to avoid other humans!

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
All of Oregon state to have no gatherings of 250 or more for a month:

www.oregonlive.com

No gatherings of more than 250 people in Oregon for 4 weeks, Gov. Kate Brown says

Oregon's leader made the announcement late Wednesday as the coronavirus spreads in the state.

I live in Oregon, we have 21 cases of COVID-19, including in my county (which is in the middle of nowhere). Most recent two were at a veterans home (both over 80 and had no contact with known cases, so community spread). Kind of disturbing, to be honest.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's very much overreacting to stock up for a year. What possible reason would anyone have to do that? You realize that aside from the old and people with pre-existing issues, the vast majority of people who get this, it lasts a couple weeks and then goes away, leaving them no worse for wear? Even in China when they really clamped down on people going anywhere, they left the grocery stores open. What people should be doing is, when they go grocery shopping, maybe pick up a little extra. Grab an extra pack of TP, a few days extra food/liquids (and you don't need "shelf stable", beans and spam, we aren't losing power).

This isn't Mad Max, you don't need a year's worth of supplies!

Those that can, and do self-isolate for whatever reason (health, financial, ...) are not the problem. People who say 'everyone will get it' or 'this is just the flu, i'm not going to stop living my life!' are. We need to prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed. We need to protect at-risk people from being exposed.

People should stock up so they have to take less trips to the supermarket and decrease their exposure. Yes, a year's worth is a bit of an extreme - but it isn't a bad thing. I personally have stocked up for 2 months and have a strict system for when I do order new things.

Gigamear

Jun 23, 2018

Obviously it is more than just the flu, yes, but everyone needs to keep their perception of this situation in check. It's much easier to get freaked out by this than it is to be calm - and it's important for people who are sharing information to be privy to that.

Deleted member 36105

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
BTW, any advice on cleaning and disinfecting keyboards, mouse and smartphones? We have orders to keep the office desks clean so thay the cleaning ladis can disinfect them at the end of the day (and they are starting to complain about not being given stuff such as gloves by their company and having to bring their own), but they are not touching the k+b.

Talking with my cousing, a nurse at a hospital, he says they have to put gloves to touch the keyboards from before the outbreak started.

Mar 3, 2019
At this point Im kind of worried about eating out at fast food or restauraunts, places where other people are handling your food. I used to work in the kitchen and I saw all kinds of terrible hygiene, I would always make my own free meals when I worked there. Same goes for fresh produce that everyone touches...

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Obviously it is more than just the flu, yes, but everyone needs to keep their perception of this situation in check. It's much easier to get freaked out by this than it is to be calm - and it's important for people who are sharing information to be privy to that.

Why are you downplaying this? That isn't what staying calm is all about. You have to be realistic, look at it for what it is, and calmly take rational and reasonable action.

You are saying 'but it's like the flu the symptons aren't that bad' or 'what about the spanish flu' and frankly you should read the message that's at the bottom of this thread. Dismissive commentary surrounding the seriousness of the disease is not helpful, it is harmful.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
Fox news now pumping out analysis why mass quarantines are unconstitutional - it is easy to see why #s in US will get exponentially worse
What the fuck is Murdoch's problem -- Rupert or Lachlan or whichever one is in charge of FNC now. How does obstructing an effective pandemic response with their man in the White House make any sense? Do they not have editorial control over their own media empire?

elephantstone

Nov 29, 2017
And the impacts on the economy are just surfacing...As seen already in China, lots of small businesses will close doors. Massive waves of lay-offs are coming way. Coupling with the stock and real estate bubble, tough time ahead.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
BTW, any advice on cleaning and disinfecting keyboards, mouse and smartphones? We have orders to keep the office desks clean so thay the cleaning ladis can disinfect them at the end of the day (and they are starting to complain about not being given stuff such as gloves by their company and having to bring their own), but they are not touching the k+b.

Talking with my cousing, a nurse at a hospital, he says they have to put gloves to touch the keyboards from before the outbreak started.
Feel free to spray disinfectant on your keyboard and mouse at the end of the day after you have turned off your computer (turned off power to those devices). As long as they are dry before you next give them power, they'll be fine. Your phone, probably want to instead spray a cloth and use that cloth to wipe down the phone.

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
This is absolutely tragic as well as a grim precursor to what American healthcare professionals will soon be facing.

Gigamear

Jun 23, 2018
Why are you downplaying this? That isn't what staying calm is all about. You have to be realistic, look at it for what it is, and calmly take rational and reasonable action.

You are saying 'but it's like the flu the symptons aren't that bad' or 'what about the spanish flu' and frankly you should read the message that's at the bottom of this thread. Dismissive commentary surrounding the seriousness of the disease is not helpful, it is harmful.
People in this thread seem to be at unhealthy levels of being horrified by this situation. The advocacy for how extremely important combating this disease is exists and is out there - as it should be. Literally everyone is talking about how dangerous this is.

I'm suggesting that if you see someone that is in a manic state, it's important to speak to them and assure them that there are systems in place that will help them get through it. Constantly upping concern feels destructive at this point, and I'm not sure that some realize that they are doing this.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Those that can, and do self-isolate for whatever reason (health, financial, ...) are not the problem. People who say 'everyone will get it' or 'this is just the flu, i'm not going to stop living my life!' are. We need to prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed. We need to protect at-risk people from being exposed.

People should stock up so they have to take less trips to the supermarket and decrease their exposure. Yes, a year's worth is a bit of an extreme - but it isn't a bad thing. I personally have stocked up for 2 months and have a strict system for when I do order new things.
People who take away vital supplies from the store that other people in dire straits may need, those are the problem. It's an extremely bad thing, literally nobody needs to buy a year's worth of supplies for this particular situation, a situation in which grocery supply chains aren't at risk.. It's like people who bought out all the masks, so medical professionals who really need them can't get them (and masks only help if you know exactly how to use them, which means not touching them to make them more comfortable on your face). Heck, even the silly TP situation, the fact that some people panic-bought month's worth of the stuff means their neighbors may not be able to restock for a bit.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
UW President sent us an email saying we would get an update March 20 on whether or not we will begin the Spring quarter (March - June) completely online/remote as well, and it will be updated over time.

welp, more time for research!

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
My mom needs surgery at the end of March. And because of mainly lung complications after the last one, she already spent 2 months in hospital with a long stay on the ICU because of lung failure. I'm kind of hoping the surgery gets postponed, but theres risk of an aneurysm bursting.

I'm just going to look forward to Animal Crossing and not worry about it....

Sep 14, 2019
I ordered the 120, but was thinking maybe I should have got that one, for my wife and daughter. Anyways..... can't believe this is how I joined the bidet revolution.

I bought a bidet a while ago but haven't installed it.

At least I have it in case toilet paper becomes scarce.

In other news, all the disinfecting wipes and sprays are sold out at my grocery store. I always felt I was the only one who'd buy them since they always had a bunch in stock, but things have changed (and of course NOW is when I don't have enough at home).

My local grocery store has also limited the amount of water bottle cases and gallons people are allowed to get. We're stocked up and our current refrigerator filter should be good for a few months.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but I'm going to start stocking up on canned foods and other things, like pasta, that I can store for at least a month.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm suggesting that if you see someone that is in a manic state, it's important to speak to them and assure them that there are systems in place that will help them get through it. Constantly upping concern feels destructive at this point, and I'm not sure that some realize that they are doing this.
I'm curious, what systems are in place to protect someone in the USA that lives paycheck to paycheck and is uninsured if they get this?
I have multiple coworkers that are in that situation that are in the at risk age range, and I would rather not lose them because people aren't taking proper precautions to avoid spreading the disease.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

Alcohol wipes graded at 60% strength of higher will reliably kill Corona and almost any other germ. My work was using them to sterilize work stations during early flu season.

ironichaos

Oct 31, 2017
It's important that we prepare for COVID-19.

But I also want to reiterate the need for us to keep an eye on what Trump, McConnell, and their Wall Street friends have planned.

I recommend reading the book The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein for a preview of how capitalists use natural disasters to privatize public assets.

It's critical we don't get too distracted and allow D.C. to implement its proposed payroll tax cuts, whose real goal is to gut social security.

I know everyone has enough crap on their minds at this unstable moment, and I'm not trying to fear-monger. But I think it's vital we remain proactive and hold our representatives accountable; they must answer to the needs of the public and not just their lobbyists. We can't allow them to use this tragedy as a vehicle to extinguish our remaining social safety nets.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious, what systems are in place to protect someone in the USA that lives paycheck to paycheck and is uninsured if they get this?
I have multiple coworkers that are in that situation that are in the at risk age range, and I would rather not lose them because people aren't taking proper precautions to avoid spreading the disease.

In Denmark all public employees who have been sent home for the next two weeks are being compensated by the state.
For private companies it depends on the company. If you are part of the union you will get compensated by them.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Statistically speaking, how reliably can one avoid getting sick by "just" being flawless with their hygiene? Hygiene doesn't necessarily help against airborne contagion does it? So the only way I can not get it is to block myself away from the rest of the world :(?

Gigamear

Jun 23, 2018
Federal and State Government are taking legislative measures to make testing and treatment for coronavirus more approachable for people who are uninsured. I just read this article an hour ago, because I'm also worried about some friends that I think are at risk and fall into that age range and financial situation.

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...t-you#How-much-will-coronavirus-testing-cost?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So you've probably seen the meme about millennials don't caring about the disease and getting cheap travel.
I must confess I am one of those that looked into it, but yeah, things took a really sharp turn for the worse.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Statistically speaking, how reliably can one avoid getting sick by "just" being flawless with their hygiene? Hygiene doesn't necessarily help against airborne contagion does it? So the only way I can not get it is to block myself away from the rest of the world :(?

It's not fully airborne.

And any little bit help.

Deleted member 14459

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is Murdoch's problem -- Rupert or Lachlan or whichever one is in charge of FNC now. How does obstructing an effective pandemic response with their man in the White House make any sense? Do they not have editorial control over their own media empire?

The way I read it is that they are (counter) acting on their "natural instinct" - or main source if income - which is production of fear. Covid puts them in a catch 22 as they cannot pump out fearmongering on covid, which would be their instinct, because of Trumpianism. So they counter with the most rooted fear of their audience ie "my constitutional rights (to hurt others". Im not sure it will work though. Im pretty sure they will start pumping out corona fear just because of the share amount of money they can make through that.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

To add onto this what are people supposed to do once their local hospitals run out of space like Italy, or their supplies like ventilators start dwindling? This is already beginning to happen in the Seattle area (Snohomish county in particular). Point being these systems can break down a lot more quickly than people realize.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017

The virus survives on surfaces much longer than it does in the air. So continuning to adhere to the hygiene recommendations will be the most effective defense. Reducing social activites as much as possible will also help.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, it finally happened. Travel restrictions for Europeans traveling to the US have been set.
My wife and I were planning to visit my cousin in Florida in April. The travel restriction mentions that it does not apply to US citizens (which I am) and their spouses but I'm still not sure what to do. Then there's the question whether our flight will even happen at all...
Apparently we get the option to cancel our flight for free if travel restrictions are affecting us and I'm starting to think that that would be our best bet.
I'm not afraid of the virus. I just don't want to sit in a plane for 10 hours just to be turned down at US custom controls and put back in the next plane home...

/edit: The proclamation itself isn't sure how long the ban will be in effect for:

Although in his address President Trump reportedly said the ban would last 30 days, the proclamation language itself states that it "shall remain in effect until terminated by the President."

If it's 30 days, then we'd theoretically be fine since we would fly on the 15th of April, which is more than 30 days away. That would also mean that we might not be able to cancel our flight for free if Lufthansa assumes the travel ban will be lifted after 30 days.
The real problem would be if the travel ban continues to be in effect after 30 days since we wouldn't really have much time to react.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
In Denmark all public employees who have been sent home for the next two weeks are being compensated by the state.
For private companies it depends on the company. If you are part of the union you will get compensated by them.
That's nice, but doesn't really help people in the USA.
Federal and State Government are taking legislative measures to make testing and treatment for coronavirus more approachable for people who are uninsured. I just read this article an hour ago, because I'm also worried about some friends that I think are at risk and fall into that age range and financial situation.

https://www.healthline.com/health-n...t-you#How-much-will-coronavirus-testing-cost?
I don't really have much faith in our government actually putting a good plan in place for the uninsured when they won't even commit to when a vaccine is available to make it available for free to anyone that wants it.

To add onto this what are people supposed to do once their local hospitals run out of space like Italy, or their supplies like ventilators start dwindling? This is already beginning to happen in the Seattle area (Snohomish county in particular). Point being these systems can break down a lot more quickly than people realize.
Yup. But I've found in general a lot of people have problems looking a few steps ahead.
Hell I've tried to explain many times to people taking home 1k per paycheck (before anything was removed) that if they added a 10% tax yes the tax amount would be more, but since you wouldn't have to pay $200 a check on health insurance you would be making more money, and they can't get past losing more money to taxes :/