• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
What's an endgame scenario look like for these things? I can't recall anything similar in the U.S. so I don't have any experience. It's "in the wild" so to speak already, and a vaccine is 12-18 months away, so at this point it's just going to sweep through, right? I know public events are being cancelled but we can't cancel work, school, trips to the grocery, etc for 12-18 months. Is there any other feasible plan?

Like, I'm pretty resigned to the fact that I'm going to get it and just trying to limit my contact with the elderly (but even that's untenable over 18 months).
I think the best scenario is to slow down the rate of infection as best as possible so that healthcare doesn't crash. Wait and hope a vaccine is available sometime next year.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I emailed my parents. They're complete Trumpsters and I got the whole song and dance about this is no worse than the flu, that the media is blowing this out of proportion, etc.

Both my parents are 70+

As i stated before, all my family are doctors, currently on the front lines in hospitals here in the hotzone, i'm on quarantine. I'm fully willing to skype call them if you want me to. No, i'm not joking, people need to take this seriously and i'm willing to do all i can to give a clear representation of how grim it is.

(This goes for anyone else who is in your same situation, drop me a DM if you need to)

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Burning Cat Con in Portland has been postponed until 2021

Can't say I'm surprised, "world's largest game of freeze tag" doesn't sound like a great idea right now!

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Not everybody in the world gets the flu every year, this defeatism is not helpful.
Every person who manage to not get infected helps, and everyone should the best that they can in their current situation instead of giving up.
It's true that it's almost impossible for an individual to make 100% sure that they don't get infected, but you can make it less likely, and if enough people collectively do that, it will help, it will save lives.

I agree with this post. No reason not to keep up hygiene and help preventing an infection, either for yourself or others.

Not everyone will get infected. Heck, take the flu this year. We have five people in my family, with two members who never cover their mouth when coughing or sneezing. And yet, me and my father never got the flu. All we did was wash hands and not touch our face.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I just had an awful realization after reading the recent news about a possible superspreader in DC.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/national-world/d-c-priest-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

There's been some talk about the potential impact of coronavirus on the election -- including cancelling rallies, scaling back conventions, or the candidates themselves getting incapacitated or dying. But what about the Supreme Court? A small group of 60/70/80-somethings, some with pre-existing medical problems, in active session right now? And of course all the oldest justices lean liberal. If this thing picks off even one or two (and McConnell continues to be a shamelessly craven SOB), this could utterly transform American politics.
Ruth Bunker Ginsberg

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Seems impossible to not get it unless you are in a position in life where you can lock yourself in your home for a year
Yeah, seems like your best bet is to just limit exposure and take precautions to delay the inevitable.

Only like 10% of people get the flu each year, and that's without us taking any special precautions as a nation. Even the worst-case scenario from that leaked hospital presentation that had so many people panicking only had 30% of the population being infected. The odds are still in your favor.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As i stated before, all my family are doctors, currently on the front lines in hospitals here in the hotzone, i'm on quarantine. I'm fully willing to skype call them if you want me to. No, i'm not joking, people need to take this seriously and i'm willing to do all i can to give a clear representation of how grim it is.

(This goes for anyone else who is in your same situation, drop me a DM if you need to)

It's an incredibly kind gesture, but my parents won't listen to anyone but Trump and FOX news. Their minds are already made up.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Only like 10% of people get the flu each year, and that's without us taking any special precautions as a nation. Even the worst-case scenario from that leaked hospital presentation that had so many people panicking only had 30% of the population being infected. The odds are still in your favor.

You only have to avoid the flu for a few months of the year, and there's your body's immunity to flu and the vaccine. We've got more than a year where you have none of those advantages. My money is on the virus

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I work for a large company in healthcare and they just canceled all domestic travel. People are starting to trickle back to the office from Seattle and New York.

Guess I will start working from home.

Retropug

Oct 25, 2017
www.scmp.com

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’, study says

Health authorities advise people to stay 1-2 metres apart, but researchers found that a bus passenger infected fellow travellers sitting 4.5 metres away.

Wear facemasks if you have them in crowded places.

Facemasks will not prevent it, especially off the shelf ones. Save the masks for people that are actually infected and the health care workers that need them.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
While coronavirus deaths increase day after day in Italy, good news comes from the hospital in Pavia where Mattia, the Italian patient 1, hospitalised since February 21, is breathing autonomously and has been discharged from intensive care.

A medical task force worked for weeks, day and night, to keep him alive. The boy, 38, was the first Italian patient infected with the virus and to the eyes of the Italian people his recovery represented the hope of winning the battle against Covid-19.
www.theguardian.com

US announces economic measures after markets plunge on virus fears – as it happened

Cases spike sharply across Europe and emergency measures in place from California to Saudi Arabia. This blog is closed.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I wonder for a quarantine/self isolation how much vitamin D one should take? Or is that even an answerable question?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
No more shaking hands in the Netherlands.
Our Prime Minister urged us to stop shaking hands for now. At the end of the talk he turned to the guy next to him and.... shook his hand 😂.
It's a habit that is hard to kill i think.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Oh, I officially know someone who's having to self isolate. There was a case at her dentists which she visited last week! Fortunately we don't live in the same city. Starting to get real though.

ShotyMcFat

Oct 29, 2017
So this is being kept hush hush, (so I have no sources, so believe it if you want)

so I work at a McDonalds and I just had a conversation with the managerhere in Australia a McDonalds has been shut down and all workers have been quarantined because a customer infected one of the staff.

what happened is a customer gave a travel mug to a staff member for a coffee, the mug was infected with the virus. McDonalds head office had stopped all travel mug sales nation wide because of this.

head office is likely keeping a lid on this because if word got out that a store was infected it would cause people to stop going to Maccas.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Italian government will probably apply a law tomorrow that blocks all sports events until April 3rd. Anyone's guess what that means to the various sports championships, cups. The Champions League and Europa League too, because unless UEFA stops those events too or allows Italian teams to play in a neutral team outside of Italy that's also gone. Reminder that Juventus, Napoli and Atalanta are still very much in the fight.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
No more shaking hands in the Netherlands.
Our Prime Minister urged us to stop shaking hands for now. At the end of the talk he turned to the guy next to him and.... shook his hand 😂.
It's a habit that is hard to kill i think.

This whole thing has made me realize how much i touch my fucking face. Probably shaving off the beard soon to avoid it ;P

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Ugh. First case in my county (Larimer in Northern Colorado). Fun. No information about her getting it from travel either. Wonder if this case was community acquired...

kdvr.com

Larimer County woman has Colorado’s 9th case of coronavirus

DENVER — A woman in her 50s from Larimer County has Colorado’s ninth presumptive positive case of COVID-19, the state health department announced Monday. The state lab identified the ca…

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
First off, you're talking to a Chicagoan. Secondly, if you want to talk about gun violence holistically, we should save it for another thread. I'll just leave it at saying that it's misleading to say that gun violence is extremely unlikely for the average person living in Chicago or visiting Chicago and that it's not a good comparison to coronavirus which based on scientific opinions will hit over 30% of EVERYBODY, including Chicago.

I was just saying at the current state mate.........but you are correct. Let's leave it for another thread, I'm still amazed our cases are as low as they are presently with being the central hub.....but we did just have that recent school positive test. I think the entire school is shutdown now.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yo if trump finds out all the McDonald's workers are working through the covid will he executive order Medicare for all

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, UnitedHealthcare, Aetna and Cigna announced they will waive the costs of testing for COVID-19 for patients who meet federal guidelines for testing, as more commercially produced tests become available in the coming days. So far, the tests have been given to Illinois residents as part of public health efforts.

Thank god.....I have aetna

I wonder about those without insurance though.....hopefully Pritzer announces something for folks not covered or something.......

The insurer announced Friday that 36 Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies around the country would waive costs of the tests for members.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois will not require prior authorization for COVID-19 tests, or for other services deemed necessary for patients diagnosed with the disease.

It also will allow members to order 30-day refills of their regular, prescription maintenance medications early.
UnitedHealthcare has said members who need help getting early prescription refills can call the customer service numbers on the backs of their insurance cards.
Aetna said it will not charge co-pays for telemedicine visits made for any reason for the next 90 days.

Well at least the insurance companies want you out of the way.....probably because they know it will cost them a fortune if a ton of people are running in public as this gets worse for prescription drugs.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017

This is really nice of you. I think one of the problems is that these type of people have been told NOT to trust anyone outside of their sphere, especially intellectuals and academia and now it may cost lives. Trumpism may be eating itself.