• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkhaus

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I really think people are underestimating how much different this gen will be vs previous generation transitions. Before you had completely new architectures and engines running between generations. Maintaining completely different builds of the "same" game for each architecture.

PS5 will run the same OS as the PS4. Developers will have the ability to restrict their games to only run on PS5 (if say they're developing something that requires something that the new system offers), but it's not like Sony is starting over with the base architecture like PS2 to PS3 or PS3 to PS4. I really doubt we're going to have to wait years again for things like folders, custom themes, Spotify etc to be added into the OS. It'll be the same OS running across all PlayStations. I also don't think we're going to have to wait for all the streaming apps and services to be rebuilt for PS5 like we did from PS3 to PS4. The PS5 will just run the same apps as the PS4 does.

With this in mind, I see their pricing approach similar to Apple's approach with iPhones– want an iPhone but don't have a ton of cash? Get the previous generation iPhone 6/7/8. Want the latest and greatest hardware? Get the iPhone XS. Developers can choose to update their apps to take advantage of the new hardware features and power, but it's not like if you get an iPhone 7 you're running a different app than someone on an iPhone XS (unlike when someone was running the PS3 version of the same game that's available on the PS4). If the app/game is updated to take advantage to of the new hardware it's the same codebase as those running on older hardware. Apple doesn't really care which iPhone you buy- they care most about locking you into the ecosystem so in the future you upgrade to another iPhone (and continue to invest in the iOS ecosystem).

I'm not saying there won't be experiences that are exclusive to the PS5, but I am saying that the PS4 will be the entry level PlayStation and it'll be supported looooong into the future (unlike devs dropping support for the older architectures in previous generations).

The lines between generations will become very blurry. Especially when you have the same game running across the PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 and PS5 Pro.

Thats it, but don't hope for understanding.
Most gamers seem to live in a bubble of the gaming past.

I also think that this could leave the possibility for a higher pricing of the new consoles if the old consoles are still supported down the road.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Fanboy Force is Strong With This One...
It's like he is trying to blame Sony for Navi due to a flimsy rumor and saying Sony is the one holding next gen back ;) .oh wait that was you few pages back but u see it now cause he is on the other side of fence .you know pot and kettle thing ,right ?
The discussion on price is very premature in this thread .they won't release price untill summer 2020. Too soon to start the non ending debate . Based on the the specs if we get them this summer we could make more educated guess .

Oct 25, 2017
Because we are not talking about a PC GPU but a console and i think sometimes people forget that .
If you getting better APU you need better cooling and memory bandwidth set up all which going come out of that $100.
The console could also be bigger which would take more to shipped which also going to come out of that $100.
It's not as simple as just put $100 more in the APU and everything else is the same .

EDIT since i forgot having a better APU could also make the board more complex which going come out the $100 again .
You've mentioned how APU changes impact other parts of the system. But the PS4 APU was estimated at costing $100 all up...

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You've mentioned how APU changes impact other parts of the system. But the PS4 APU was estimated at costing $100 all up...

Not really getting your point ?
My post was to show him you just can't add the whole $100 to the APU .
There are other things to think of so the $100 might not give you the 25% over the other system .
That is not accounting for stuff like if both systems already clock high to begin with which can really change things .

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Why wouldn't $100 be enough to cover 25% more performance? The entire APU costs them like $150. You don't think a $250 APU would be 25% better?

Well, a $250 APU in your example would probably need $50 more worth of memory bandwidth, $15 to 25 more for the additional PCB complexity, an extra $40 to $60 more for cooling and an increase in shipping and handling costs because of the large chassis and thus physical box size.

The APU and system design affects far more than just the price of any one discrete component.

Personally, I think a 25% flops advantage within $100 price differential is definitely possible, but your example was not a great one.

If one console designer wants to include additional coprocessors on the die that takes up 25% of the GPU CU area, or if one decides to go with HBM and a chiplet design allowing a higher overall TDP budget to push the GPU clocks... whether Sony or MS is higher isn't important to me.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
So is it impossible for Microsoft to go with a discrete GPU and CPU because Navi maxes out at 64 CU which easily fits within the confines of the APU?

I'm trying to think of some crazy scenario where MS could outspend Sony to ensure their console is more powerful - what about dual GPUs? I know the performance gains aren't quite as good and it's horribly inefficient, but it could put them over if they so wish

The easy way to "outspend" sony would be simply to do what we can almost guarantee Sony wouldn't do and that they can afford to do because they have two SKUs.

Lets say for instance that 310mm2 APU costs them $160. And lets say that $160 is for a 60CU APU (which means 4 CUs are disabled) and results in yields of about 80%. So from every wafer only 80% of the chips have at least 60CU working that can be clocked as high as they set out to clock them and no CPU issues. What MS can do here is not disable any CUs in the APU that goes into Anaconda so that APU uses all 64 CU. This will no doubt make the yields tank to maybe like 60%, which in turn means that each usable chip from MS is costing them like $200!!! But there is an out for MS.

They could just take the remaining 40% of chips that have defects or can't be clocked as high as they want them to for Anaconda, then disable like 12/14 of the CU and end up with a 50/52CU GPU and further go onto downclock the APU so they don't have to spend much on cooling and the PSU and make that Lockhart. So basically they are using the same chip on two different SKUs.

We can end up with something like this:

PS5 [email protected] + 60CU GPU @1440Mhz (11TF)
XBA [email protected] + 64CU GPU @ 1500Mhz(12.2TF)
XBL [email protected] + 50CU GPU @ 1100Mhz(7TF)

Nov 12, 2017
He's saying this because a 399$ console is much less powerful than a 499$ console, and s consoke Warrior would Hope this for the opposing faction lol.

But even if it mostly leans that way from some posters, it's definitely not everyone. I'm pretty sure some people just want a less expensive console.

Like I said earlier, for PlayStation, November 2020 is literally the generation that makes most sense for a price increase.

Their competitor has been that price since 2013. Anaconda Will likely be that price in 2020. And ps5 will be competing with anaconda, not lockheart. If you think different, you are insane lol

Imo 499$ ps5 end of 2020 makes more sense than anything.
It will something less ...Sony isn't going to risk everything on the TF war....because they know Lockhart exist and knoow also that Ms want be the most powerful...
If they go 499 against Anaconda and end up being also less powerful they are marketing wise "fucked" ....also because they conceding following Anaconda...the biggest more important part of the market to Lockhart

Ps5 will be 399 or 449...nothing more....but I'm more on the 399 side

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It will something less ...Sony isn't going to risk everything on the TF war....because they know Lockhart exist and knoow also that Ms want be the most powerful...
If they go 499 against Anaconda and end up being also less powerful they are marketing wise "fucked" ....also because they conceding following Anaconda...the biggest more important part of the market to Lockhart

if Sony goes 499(same price as MS) why are you sure MS will be stronger?just cause phil said so? phil also said VR is amazing on xbox 1x. not everything PR says is achievable by engineering team .

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017

I'm of the opinion you are wrong. Your reasoning makes no sense besides wanting one to be more powerful than the other for no apparent reason tbh.

Even if anaconda is more 'powerful' at same price, I'm betting it's no more than 10% which will be negligible for any practical comparisons, and ps5 will have something under the hood anaconda doesn't which will make comparisons very interesting.

This is my guess anyhow, which is only as much tales from my ass as everyone else's guess work here :)

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The easy way to "outspend" sony would be simply to do what we can almost guarantee Sony wouldn't do and that they can afford to do because they have two SKUs.

Lets say for instance that 310mm2 APU costs them $160. And lets say that $160 is for a 60CU APU (which means 4 CUs are disabled) and results in yields of about 80%. So from every wafer only 80% of the chips have at least 60CU working that can be clocked as high as they set out to clock them and no CPU issues. What MS can do here is not disable any CUs in the APU that goes into Anaconda so that APU uses all 64 CU. This will no doubt make the yields tank to maybe like 60%, which in turn means that each usable chip from MS is costing them like $200!!! But there is an out for MS.

They could just take the remaining 40% of chips that have defects or can't be clocked as high as they want them to for Anaconda, then disable like 12/14 of the CU and end up with a 50/52CU GPU and further go onto downclock the APU so they don't have to spend much on cooling and the PSU and make that Lockhart. So basically they are using the same chip on two different SKUs.

We can end up with something like this:

PS5 [email protected] + 60CU GPU @1440Mhz (11TF)
XBA [email protected] + 64CU GPU @ 1500Mhz(12.2TF)
XBL [email protected] + 50CU GPU @ 1100Mhz(7TF)

I know your example was ilustrative, but that 40% of remaining chips for Lockheart is unrealistic, because among them would be a proportion with defects in the areas that result in a dead chip, as well as chips that won't meet the clockspeed target for Lockheart without pushing voltage beyond a reasonable threshold.

In addition, Lockheart is supposed to be the mass market high volume device, so ending up with more Anaconda dies than Lockheart dies makes Lockheart a little worthless overall.

They'll have to deliberately disable and underclock good Anaconda dies to meet the demand, binning for each product means they're more or less at the mercy of the elements in terms of having any control over which of the two products they manufacture.

If they find themselves in a position later in the gen. where Lockheart is the biggest seller by far, they'll still have to produce full Anaconda dies to feed the demand, instead of being able to fab a much smaller dedicated Lockheart die and benefit from the higher yields.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Don't worry, even XB1 can do raytracing with a 1.3 tflops GPU.
Ke_dzuQtwfK0XsoxQeheWkf_Wv-UbNFaE3yNLp8veScaVoQJbHf-7nHdsKGdq90cio0IS7XwbuPMfhV_h5IeTfNOwe0S3x20l94K8Z6-YUrPwMuE_8SDHrBVTrVb1eYdjw=w220-h218-nc

Nov 12, 2017
I'm of the opinion you are wrong. Your reasoning makes no sense besides wanting one to be more powerful than the other for no apparent reason tbh.

Even if anaconda is more 'powerful' at same price, I'm betting it's no more than 10% which will be negligible for any practical comparisons, and ps5 will have something under the hood anaconda doesn't which will make comparisons very interesting.

This is my guess anyhow, which is only as much tales from my ass as everyone else's guess work here :)
O no isn't about what I want ..and don't worry my words are also '"tales from my ass" like everyone else's in this moment ahahah....I used the Word "marketing wise fucked" for a reason....if Anaconda at the same price will be 10% more powerful they will sell it as the most powerful next gen console....Sony will can't ...at the same time they will be badly undercutted by the price of Lockhart ......no sorry with one sku against two is too naive engage a power war ..that you don't know if you gonna win expecially if this will make you price your product 100 or more dollars than other product that play the same games ....let's say that we don't agree on this and I save this posts ))

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

Yes that is obvious.

"besides wanting one to be more powerful than the other for no apparent reason tbh."

and

"ps5 will have something under the hood anaconda doesn't "

Raybunzy

Oct 26, 2017
I refrain myself on commenting about power / footprints / 7nm and such even though I follow them very closely. One thing is certain as we seen, the TF power is but a small portion of what dictates how a game will look, behave, feel.

What got me more intruigued is what Mark Cerny said about the loading times in Spiderman. Now that opens so much for what kind of tech they implemented on the future Sony console. These next consoles should be analysed with the full APU in mind and not only the gpu part of it. But people must love their TF too much to completly disregard cpu, ram, drive, heat dissipation, footprint, rapid storage memory/tech.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I refrain myself on commenting about power / footprints / 7nm and such even though I follow them very closely. One thing is certain as we seen, the TF power is but a small portion of what dictates how a game will look, behave, feel.

What got me more intruigued is what Mark Cerny said about the loading times in Spiderman. Now that opens so much for what kind of tech they implemented on the future Sony console. These next consoles should be analysed with the full APU in mind and not only the gpu part of it. But people must love their TF too much to completly disregard cpu, ram, drive, heat dissipation, footprint, rapid storage memory/tech.

Its only really recently that everyone focused around TF numbers. I think the new CPU/RAM combo's will play a huge part in how performance is perceived.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Now lets look at the size of the components in that chip. At 16nm, each of the 44CUs in the XB1X took up an area of 3mm2 each. That means of the 360mm2 of the XB1X die, 132mm2 was used for GPU CUs alone. another 70mm2 was used for the CPU ( that's 202mm2 now) leaving 158mm2 for memory controllers and what not. On a 7nm process, and since we are still using GCN, each CU will come in at around 1.5mm2. Cool thing about that is that even if they went for 64CU (and disable 4 CU) the GPU CU will have a total footprint of only 89mm2.

Two things I need to address.
1. The jaguars took ~70mm2 on 28nm. On 16nm they took much less space.
2. 64 CUs take up more than 42% of the die on Vega 7. More than 140mm2. I am not sure if they can improve density for Navi from 140mm2 to 95mm2.

See pic for vega 7: It's easy to calculate that the 64 CUs takes up around ~140mm2.
VRq96IV104zKOLCm.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
PC gaming is very different from console gaming. If anything, PC gaming is defined and limited by consoles for the most part. The last thing you want any new console generation to do is to adopt the limitations from the previous generation.

That's the thing, I am not preaching anything, because I have not said that anything will cost x and x amount of money. My comments with regard to pricing has never been about what one will cost vs the other but rather that both MS and Sony will have a console that ost the same thing (whatever that thing is) and MS will have a console that will cost less. Because to me that's the only way it makes sense (IMO lol).

So what exactly is it that I am doing? All I am hammering is that you nor anyone can't say with any degree of certainity that the next gen consoles will cost. We can only at best give a range. This is not an opinion that I am pushing as if it were a fact..... its a fact. Simple as that.

I have left this alone though, cause at the end of the day its your opinion, and no matter how right or wrong I think you are entitled to it. So I apologize.

Like you think they will cost the same, I think they won't, we both have our reasons and let's just leave it as that.

Osaragi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm curious are we basing TFLOPs guesses on AdoredTVs leaks?

That would mean AMD Flops have become way more efficient.

A 48cu GPU at 150 tdp (including 8gb of gddr6) quite handily beats a 12,7tf GPU (vega 64)

Doesn't really matter whether the consoles have a lower tf count or not, when they perform better than a 12-13tf amd card.

If one believes his leaks to be true.

Feb 10, 2018
Yes, but most of them have to do a one time payment. depending which phone they choose the one time payment goes up to 900 € and then the monthly contract fees came on top

Oh, so you know what everyone I've met is paying lol.
€900 is the price or more then a lot of flagship phones, most people don't nothing and if they do it's under £100.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I think:
PS5 will be $399, 10-12 TF
Anaconda $499, 12-14 TF

Sony will secure the dominant position again WW, outselling MS handily, but MS will secure the goodwill of its most hardcore fans.

Everybody wins

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think:
PS5 will be $399, 10-12 TF
Anaconda $499, 12-14 TF

Sony will secure the dominant position again WW, outselling MS handily, but MS will secure the goodwill of its most hardcore fans.

Everybody wins
Sounds good but I wonder where Lockhart will be in that list? Maybe 6-8TF at $299 perhaps?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds good but I wonder where Lockhart will be in that list? Maybe 6-8TF at $299 perhaps?

Sounds about right. I think it's targeted to MS fans already locked into the Xbox ecosystem, but can't pay premium for the Anaconda.

I think most sells will come from the latter though, specially during the first year, year and a half.

Same way most PS3 sales were the more expensive 60GB model compared to the 20GB one. (If that info is accurate, which I'm not 100% sure, I just saw someone post something to that effect)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
*if* Navi is limited to 64CUs which provides a maximum for both consoles - is there a possiblity that it leaves some die area for RT type cores? I dno't think the performance improvements since PS pro/XB1X are big enough to trade CUs for RT so it would only make sense if it was in addition to CUs

Monkhaus

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Oh, so you know what everyone I've met is paying lol.
€900 is the price or more then a lot of flagship phones, most people don't nothing and if they do it's under £100.
I didn't talked about the people you met!
In general. And at least in germany if you you are going to Pick up a iPhone xs max 512gb ( Depending which contract)you have a one time payment up to 900€.
So of course Not eveyone buys such a phone. But believe me, there are enough people who buys expensive phones.

So are the contracts where you coming from so expensive that they habe such a low one time payment?

Jun 18, 2018
Considering CUs are usually disabled for everything but the top end cards, it doesn't seem realistic to except a full 64CUs on either console. Unless anyone knows of a good reason why we can be optimistic this time around?

Feb 26, 2018
If its 9TF than its gonna be 400$. Which is little disappointing, but paired with SSD and new CPU will be a good enough jump
And 10-11 TF 500$ Anaconda makes sense

But judging by that poster history its kinda hard to believe him about anything Sony without solid proof

edryr

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
If its 9TF than its gonna be 400$. Which is little disappointing, but paired with SSD and new CPU will be a good enough jump

That's actually really what i want and hope. Something in 9-10tf territory, with a push on reconstruction techniques. I want a 400$ maximum console with an heavy mass adoption rate. I want sony and devs to be able to make huge loads of money so they can make big investements in more games and new ip. And i believe 500$ will restrain lots of customers. I really don't care about power or anything. Like you say 9-10tf + ssd + zen2 is already an awesome jump.
Xbox outside of NA is totally non existent, i want ps5 to be lead platform and get as much exclusives as they can get. huge sells => money => games and big investments.

Alright, that shit needs to stop.
In no way a 9TF AMD part today is performing the same as a 1080.
VEGA64 which is over 12TFLOPS IS ~1080 performance.

This. I can't stand this anymore, people refering to gpu power outside of the same architecture with only TF.
TF, weither it is nvidia or amd, is exactly the same. A TF is a TF. Period. So many more things to take into accounts to judge a gpu power.

Status
Not open for further replies.