Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
1A7A4A8CF5BD4E93A13F.gif

Shikaka

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how you can say this.

Sony isn't going to sacrifice sales and attain the $499 stigma for a couple more flops. The new CPU and SSD with 8-10 flops is more than enough to offer a massive jump from this gen. $399 worked amazing for them with PS4, they will do it again.

This is exactly what I'm thinking and where I keep my expectations.

Nivek

Banned
Apr 24, 2019
You think consoles will have separate CPU and GPU (chiplets)? I doubt that to be honest. APU for me for PS5. Maybe Microsoft go chiplets with their multi SKU and xCloud server strategy.
The cpu is bog standard off the shelf so why put it on a die when it will reach economies of scale faster with AMD making for public consumption.
This thread also reclassified APU as on the chip(substrate) SoC not on the die.

Oct 27, 2017
With all this talk about PS5 price and what they do with PS4, I'm still wondering what MS do.

Are they really gonna have:
- Xbox 1S
- Xbox 1S AD
- Xbox 1X

- Xbob XS (Lockheart)
- Xbob XS Max (Anaconda)

...all in the channel at the same time? (also including variants for bundles / hdd sizes?). That just sounds like a lot to me — what does the pricing matrix look like? There are times when giving consumers too much choice can also harm sales potential.

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
The wording suggests someone covering their ass because the price isn't set yet.

I said before this:

I believe that we will be able to release it at an SRP [suggested retail price] that will be appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set.

Is about as PR as you can get. It tells us precisely nothing. Exactly as PR planned before the interview as it was inevitably going to come up!

The surprise is that Peter Rubin didn't put it in his article in the first instance.

The cpu is bog standard off the shelf so why put it on a die when it will reach economies of scale faster with AMD making for public consumption.
This thread also reclassified APU as on the chip(substrate) SoC not on the die.

We'll see. I think PS5 will stick to being a monolithic APU.

Feb 10, 2018
I know. The contracts that pay for those devices are also more expensive than they were in order to subsidise the hardware though, and people are paying it -- but thats not the point I'm making.

I'm not saying that everyone is running out to buy $1000 phone -- I'm saying several years ago the idea of launching a mainstream phone at that kind of price point was laughable. People would have said you were crazy -- but in 2019 here we are. Multiple vendors have expensive phones. The idea of what tech costs (and the leeway that can be charged for that tech) has shifted.

Sony could very well believe that people will be more accepting of a nominally higher price for higher-perceived goods because the public is now more accepting of that than we used to be. To quote:

Cernys comments could be applied to multiple price points and still make sense. It does not point to $499 any more so then $399.
The issue is, we will have streaming services and the rumoured lockhart which is why I think they will want very "appealing" value for the advanced feature set of PS5.

Jan 21, 2019
I believe that there is a good chance the PS5 will be more powerful than Anaconda. None of them have proven anything or published anything substantial, so everything is still open.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Phil also take about one x in a similar manner, which always suggested expensive console, yet people believed it's gonna be 399$.
Yea few posts above I said the same. Low end will be ps4/pro as it is selling amazing.high end ps5 till 2 years into generation where cross generation game stops and they drop the price .(ps3 wasn't selling amazing so they couldn't rely on ps3 to keep selling and price ps4 499)

Atleast that's what I hope .and every single leak suggested 499

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I believe that there is a good chance the PS5 will be more powerful than Anaconda. None of them have proven anything or published anything substantial, so everything is still open.
I dunno I really doubt it. MS is in swing for the fences mode, I think they'll push as hard as they can for the most power in Anaconda and probably take a much larger hit per system than Sony will.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
With all this talk about PS5 price and what they do with PS4, I'm still wondering what MS do.

Are they really gonna have:
- Xbox 1S
- Xbox 1S AD
- Xbox 1X

- Xbob XS (Lockheart)
- Xbob XS Max (Anaconda)

...all in the channel at the same time? (also including variants for bundles / hdd sizes?). That just sounds like a lot to me — what does the pricing matrix look like? There are times when giving consumers too much choice can also harm sales potential.
Lockhart will replace the X, go head-to-head with PS4 Pro and win the day because it is performance-comparable but plays next-gen games, PS4 Pro cannot and all for the same/similar price.

Xbox 1S sticks around for those who want a console for their little kid or something or aren't lucky enough to afford these things until they're old in the tooth.

Anaconda and PS5 battle it out.

Jan 21, 2019
I dunno I really doubt it. MS is in swing for the fences mode, I think they'll push as hard as they can for the most power in Anaconda and probably take a much larger hit per system than Sony will.

There is literally no reason to believe that. They might be trying but there is no definitive solution. Phil can say whatever he wants, he is not the engineers. I believe that there is an equal chance of both being the strongest and no information we have sways it in any direction. I actually believe that both will be very similar (which is a good thing) and any advantage to be minuscule.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Going 2 sku actually proves they don't want to take big hit . Otherwise they would only make anaconda and price it lower than ps5 and take a big loss(stronger and cheaper )but they r not interested in that .

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not so sure. I think Anaconda, on paper, will be more powerful than the PS5 for a few reasons:

1. Microsoft is releasing two systems. They can take the chance of building a more powerful, higher priced system if they have a lower end system coming out at the same time. If Sony is just relying on one version of the PS5, then they have to be far more sensitive to the price since that's their only unit.

2. Moving Xbox hardware doesn't seem like a primary goal of Microsoft anymore. Obviously they want to sell all the Xbox's they can, but they've definitely shifted into more of a services/games first platform. They seem to be more about giving people options on how to play their games, whether it's PC, Xbox, or other consoles. This means that a hypothetical $599 Anaconda would be released to appeal to a niche group of fans who want the best, instead of being released to be sold at a large scale.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Recent History is actual reasoning,
Reasoning for $499 is just speculation based on nothing that has actually happened. The PS3 being $499 +$599 and causing the problems it did for Sony suggests more they never want to repeat that mistake again.
If all the competition was $499, I could see it, but its looking like the price of entry going to be lower then ever before in the history of videogames.
Why would Sony want to risk being adverse to the cost sensitive gamer next gen?
I feel so many are projecting there personal desires into this $499 price without looking at what Sony has done and said recently.
Having the largest possible install base is in sony's best interests, having the largest possible install base is in sony's best interests.

How so? Xbox One launched at $500 in 2013. Xbox One X also launched at $500, so a more powerful Xbox successor will most likely be at $500 as well. Even if MS offers 2 SKUs, one which is cheaper and less powerful than the PS5, the lower SKU will never be in the conversation. They can't compete with a lower spec. They'll heavily promote the more powerful one, just like they hardly talk about the regular Xbox One today. The cheaper model might as well not exist. If PS5 is $500 it will be priced in line with the competition, unless you're talking about the competition using streaming, which anyone interested in a streaming service isn't going to be the same person who would buy a launch console at launch prices to begin with.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
There is literally no reason to believe that. They might be trying but there is no definitive solution. Phil can say whatever he wants, he is not the engineers. I believe that there is an equal chance of both being the strongest and no information we have sways it in any direction. I actually believe that both will be very similar (which is a good thing) and any advantage to be minuscule.
Ok I disagree not sure what else there is to say lol.
Going 2 sku actually proves they don't want to take big hit . Otherwise they would only make anaconda and price it lower than ps5 and take a big loss(stronger and cheaper )but they r not interested in that .
Doesn't prove that at all actually. MS is full steam ahead on revenue through services not hardware.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sony isn't going to sacrifice sales and attain the $499 stigma for a couple more flops. The new CPU and SSD with 8-10 flops is more than enough to offer a massive jump from this gen. $399 worked amazing for them with PS4, they will do it again.

I don't subscribe to the generation leap angle either, but there could be other reasons why Sony would design a more expensive console this time around.

Maybe the Pro wasn't a good investment, or the PS5 Pro won't be a viable option due to various factors, so it might make sense for a more expensive core console upfront.

There might be certain design goals or features, potentially something like VR, that Sony feels is worth the added price and will give them a leg up on MS in the long run.

It could be as simple as the Sony seeing gamers not batting an eye over the $499 price of the One X and just feel it's a viable price point now.

It's even possible they caught wind of the MS two tier priced console model and decided being caught in the middle of that wasn't where they wanted to be.

$399 is the safest bet, but it's tough to completely discount a higher price point.

Oct 27, 2017
Cernys comments could be applied to multiple price points and still make sense. It does not point to $499 any more so then $399.
The issue is, we will have streaming services and the rumoured lockhart which is why I think they will want very "appealing" value for the advanced feature set of PS5.
ok... I think it's important to clear up that I'm not actually trying to convince you that PS5 will be $499. I don't actually think we can make a real guess at price until we have confirmed specs.

It's just that earlier you asked what would make Sony think it should target $499. My answer was basically 2 reasons;

people are less resistant to the higher pricing (if they think the tech is worth it) than they used to be.
+
the tech they feel they need to make a real difference is expensive
People don't laugh at $1000 phones they way that they used to.
+
Qualitative jump for next-gen perf will cost what it costs, and there isn't really a way around it.

If you think it will be $399 while others think $499 then thats fine. Same way that everyone believing the consoles being anything from 4TF-14TF is fine. At this stage none of us know anything so its not worth getting worked up over one way or another.

Lockhart will replace the X, go head-to-head with PS4 Pro and win the day because it is performance-comparable but plays next-gen games, PS4 Pro cannot and all for the same/similar price.

Xbox 1S sticks around for those who want a console for their little kid or something or aren't lucky enough to afford these things until they're old in the tooth.

I said the same in the link. It's the only way the pricing matrix makes sense to me otherwise they could have a lot of overlapping products that have different compatibilities and that would be a recipe for customer confusion. But like I said to AH above, I guess at this stage none of use know anything, maybe they will have some other way of making sense of it all.

Feb 10, 2018

With having two models they will be able to take a bigger loss on the anaconda, because the lockhart which will likely sell more will offset the loses of anaconda Somwhat.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017

Sony also knows that getting the hardcore audience on their side from day 0 pretty much won them this gen. If they know that going for $399 will not be enough to make an appealing console for hardcore gamers (you know, the people that buy consoles on day 1) compared to their main competitor, they will sacrifice mainstream pricing for a more technologically appealing console.

In this case, the main thing for Sony is building a console with components that are projected to quickly drop in price, this way they will be able to offer a nice price drop within the first 2 years of the console's life to bring it to a more mainstream price. The more price conscious consumers will likely wait to buy the console anyways, whether it's $499 or $399. The important thing is value perception; that the console is more than 'worth' the price (the PS4 being cheaper and more powerful the its main competitor certainly help with that... Sony will have to find a smarter way to stand out next gen with MS also going for the power crown).

This strategy would also work better if they can get the PS4 to $199 and lower pricing. Since most games during the first 2 years Will most likely be cross gen, they can use that to their advantage. They could advertise that whatever game they buy for PS4 will work for PS5, giving gamers confidence to invest more money in the ecosystem. By the time the next gen only games hit their stride, the PS5 should be more affordable.

If Sony's marketing is on point from the start, they'll be able to pull in the price conscious consumers easier later on since their hardcore gamer friends have bought into the PS5, just like this gen. Sony has shown that if the value perception for the console is right, they can sell 10s of millions of consoles while maintaining a relatively high price.

Anyways, just saying that the console being $399 doesn't guarantee success for Sony.

I also find it interesting that the ones in this thread pushing for that $399 PS5 price mostly lean towards the competitor's console 🤔

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think a lot of us does see that observation but for the sake of civility decides to just handwave it.

499 is fine, 399 is of course better.

Hell, the fault of Xbox One is less about the pricepoint but its competitor offering better value for money.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018

Lockhart will replace the 1S series and Anaconda will replace the X Series.

Lockhart = 2S
Anaconda = 2X.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I also find it interesting that the ones in this thread pushing for that $399 PS5 price mostly lean towards the competitor's console 🤔

How would you know those who are guessing $399 are mostly leaning towards xbox? I have posted many times I think it will be $399 and don't agree with this logic.

I highly doubt people are Pushing or hoping for 8tflpos or 399$. People are hypothesizing. Not console warring. At least I'm not.

My guess is somewhere around like 8-10tflops and $399 or 449.99.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
How would you know those who are guessing $399 are mostly leaning towards xbox? I have posted many times I think it will be $399 and don't agree with this logic.

I highly doubt people are Pushing or hoping for 8tflpos or 399$. People are hypothesizing. Not console warring. At least I'm not.

My guess is somewhere around like 8-10tflops and $399 or 449.99.

Yeah I see it the same way. I think he is just flat out wrong (no offense).

I want $399 aswell and I am buying the PS5

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I'm willing to pay $599 for a powerful console for another decade gladly rather than underpowered $399 shit. 200usd is nothing when you consider the 7-8years life cycle for a product!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I highly doubt people are Pushing or hoping for 8tflpos. People are hypothesizing. Not console warring. At least I'm not.

I think some degree of console warring will inevitably find its way into a thread like this, whether it's intentional or not. Personally I'm entirely on the Sony side of things but I try to do my best to keep my inner fanboy in check, especially when in a thread like this.

Feb 10, 2018
ok... I think it's important to clear up that I'm not actually trying to convince you that PS5 will be $499. I don't actually think we can make a real guess at price until we have confirmed specs.

It's just that earlier you asked what would make Sony think it should target $499. My answer was basically 2 reasons;

people are less resistant to the higher pricing (if they think the tech is worth it) than they used to be.
+
the tech they feel they need to make a real difference is expensive

If you think it will be $399 while others think $499 then thats fine. Same way that everyone believing the consoles being anything from 4TF-14TF is fine. At this stage none of us know anything so its not worth getting worked up over one way or another.

The $399 pricepoint does have recent historic precedence and recent words from sony does point to an expansion friendly price point.
So yes I agree no one knows what the price point,but Sony's recent actions point to a $399 pp more then a $499 one, when looking at the full picture.

There is no evidence supporting that people are more accepting for a console at $499 now then they were in 2013, the minimum wage has not increased that much.

Your second reason is interesting,
I do wonder what the difference of a $500 bom and $600 bom.
But yes that is an unknown to me and is a good reason why it could be $499.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
You could say the exactly the same for the past 2-3 gens, when people see the latest new thing they want that, last gen will has its place but I don't see why its any different next gen as it was in previous gens.
Anyway this is a next gen speculation thread not a last gen pricing speculation thread.

I really think people are underestimating how much different this gen will be vs previous generation transitions. Before you had completely new architectures and engines running between generations. Maintaining completely different builds of the "same" game for each architecture.

PS5 will run the same OS as the PS4. Developers will have the ability to restrict their games to only run on PS5 (if say they're developing something that requires something that the new system offers), but it's not like Sony is starting over with the base architecture like PS2 to PS3 or PS3 to PS4. I really doubt we're going to have to wait years again for things like folders, custom themes, Spotify etc to be added into the OS. It'll be the same OS running across all PlayStations. I also don't think we're going to have to wait for all the streaming apps and services to be rebuilt for PS5 like we did from PS3 to PS4. The PS5 will just run the same apps as the PS4 does.

With this in mind, I see their pricing approach similar to Apple's approach with iPhones– want an iPhone but don't have a ton of cash? Get the previous generation iPhone 6/7/8. Want the latest and greatest hardware? Get the iPhone XS. Developers can choose to update their apps to take advantage of the new hardware features and power, but it's not like if you get an iPhone 7 you're running a different app than someone on an iPhone XS (unlike when someone was running the PS3 version of the same game that's available on the PS4). If the app/game is updated to take advantage to of the new hardware it's the same codebase as those running on older hardware. Apple doesn't really care which iPhone you buy- they care most about locking you into the ecosystem so in the future you upgrade to another iPhone (and continue to invest in the iOS ecosystem).

I'm not saying there won't be experiences that are exclusive to the PS5, but I am saying that the PS4 will be the entry level PlayStation and it'll be supported looooong into the future (unlike devs dropping support for the older architectures in previous generations).

The lines between generations will become very blurry. Especially when you have the same game running across the PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 and PS5 Pro.

Feb 10, 2018
Sony also knows that getting the hardcore audience on their side from day 0 pretty much won them this gen. If they know that going for $399 will not be enough to make an appealing console for hardcore gamers (you know, the people that buy consoles on day 1) compared to their main competitor, they will sacrifice mainstream pricing for a more technologically appealing console.

In this case, the main thing for Sony is building a console with components that are projected to quickly drop in price, this way they will be able to offer a nice price drop within the first 2 years of the console's life to bring it to a more mainstream price. The more price conscious consumers will likely wait to buy the console anyways, whether it's $499 or $399. The important thing is value perception; that the console is more than 'worth' the price (the PS4 being cheaper and more powerful the its main competitor certainly help with that... Sony will have to find a smarter way to stand out next gen with MS also going for the power crown).

This strategy would also work better if they can get the PS4 to $199 and lower pricing. Since most games during the first 2 years Will most likely be cross gen, they can use that to their advantage. They could advertise that whatever game they buy for PS4 will work for PS5, giving gamers confidence to invest more money in the ecosystem. By the time the next gen only games hit their stride, the PS5 should be more affordable.

If Sony's marketing is on point from the start, they'll be able to pull in the price conscious consumers easier later on since their hardcore gamer friends have bought into the PS5, just like this gen. Sony has shown that if the value perception for the console is right, they can sell 10s of millions of consoles while maintaining a relatively high price.

Anyways, just saying that the console being $399 doesn't guarantee success for Sony.

Your last spoiler paragraph does not make much sense, as a $399 pricepoint would most likely see PS5 get more success.

I know I would rather have to only spend £349

For
PS5
11tflop Navi gpu
8 core zen 2
16gb gddr6 + 4gb ddr4
2tb hdd + 256gb ssd

Then £449 for
12.9tflop navi
20gb gddr6 + 4gb ddr4
2tb hdd + 256gb ssd

Feb 10, 2018
I really think people are underestimating how much different this gen will be vs previous generation transitions. Before you had completely new architectures and engines running between generations. Maintaining completely different builds of the "same" game for each architecture.

PS5 will run the same OS as the PS4. Developers will have the ability to restrict their games to only run on PS5 (if say they're developing something that requires something that the new system offers), but it's not like Sony is starting over with the base architecture like PS2 to PS3 or PS3 to PS4. I really doubt we're going to have to wait years again for things like folders, custom themes, Spotify etc to be added into the OS. It'll be the same OS running across all PlayStations. I also don't think we're going to have to wait for all the streaming apps and services to be rebuilt for PS5 like we did from PS3 to PS4. The PS5 will just run the same apps as the PS4 does.

With this in mind, I see their pricing approach similar to Apple's approach with iPhones– want an iPhone but don't have a ton of cash? Get the previous generation iPhone 6/7/8. Want the latest and greatest hardware? Get the iPhone XS. Developers can choose to update their apps to take advantage of the new hardware features and power, but it's not like if you get an iPhone 7 you're running a different app than someone on an iPhone XS (unlike when someone was running the PS3 version of the same game that's available on the PS4). If the app/game is updated to take advantage to of the new hardware it's the same codebase as those running on older hardware. Apple doesn't really care which iPhone you buy- they care most about locking you into the ecosystem so in the future you upgrade to another iPhone (and continue to invest in the iOS ecosystem).

I'm not saying there won't be experiences that are exclusive to the PS5, but I am saying that the PS4 will be the entry level PlayStation and it'll be supported looooong into the future (unlike devs dropping support for the older architectures in previous generations).

The lines between generations will become very blurry. Especially when you have the same game running across the PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5 and PS5 Pro.

A lot of people were saying the same thing about this gen.
Cerny himself has said that the PS5 is traditionally big next gen leap.

Frankly I think people are bringing ps4 + pro, because Sony don't have an answer for the rumoured lockhart, but it's comparing apples to oranges, the ps4 + Pro are last gen consoles, it makes no sense to bring them up when discussing the next gen market. After the first year last gen consoles are going to be no more relevant then the 360/ps3 were after there first, even more so next gen because of stadia and the rumoured lockhart.

Also iOS versions will span over a few gens of hardware, its not the case with consoles, for Sony we know there won't be any forwards compatibility.

Games like fortnite will be on PS4/X1 for a while because the goal of epic is for that game to be everywhere, but I hope we see new games and ideas for the next gen and not a business models that make companies richer but slow down the state of the art and innovation.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
After the first year last gen consoles are going to be no more relevant then the 360/ps3 were after there first, even more so next gen because of stadia and the rumoured lockhart.

I just don't see it in the day and age with current gen games coming to Switch. If a lot of titles can run and work on Switch, why would devs give up on a generation that has 100+ million install base (PS4 architecture) only after a year? ESPECIALLY when that generation of console shares it's architecture with the next generation. I don't see a day where most indie games require what the PS5 has to offer and just to drop PS4 a year after release. I fully expect Sony to keep pushing the PS4 price lower and lower to get people into the ecosystem and it being a major part of their "next gen" strategy.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Why are people assuming that there will suddenly be 'mid-gen' consoles just because last gen had one? The PS1, PS2, and PS3 had no such mid-gen. This last gen saw an exception because of the hardware being too weak at the start of a new generation. Just because they made an exception doesn't mean that's the start of a new paradigm.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Recent History is actual reasoning,
Reasoning for $499 is just speculation based on nothing that has actually happened. The PS3 being $499 +$599 and causing the problems it did for Sony suggests more they never want to repeat that mistake again.
If all the competition was $499, I could see it, but its looking like the price of entry going to be lower then ever before in the history of videogames.
Why would Sony want to risk being adverse to the cost sensitive gamer next gen?
I feel so many are projecting there personal desires into this $499 price without looking at what Sony has done and said recently.
Having the largest possible install base is in sony's best interests, having the largest possible install base is in sony's best interests.
Sorry man but none of that confirms anything. If you really want to look at history you look at the fact that the first two gens of Playstation was at a $299 price point. The next two were at a $399 price point.... the PS3 messed up cause it came in at $599 for a gen that it should have cost $399. The quickly got that price down to $399 though.

Again, I am not saying that the PS5 will be $499. I am just saying that its just flat out silly to assume that it will always be $399. Sony has always made the best console they could make if right now the best console they can make is a $499 one the that is what they will do. They will not cut out an SSD or put in less RAM than they should just because they are trying to hit a $399 price point. Lok at it this way, think about what is absolutely necessary for a next-gen box. APU, RAM, SSD. All of those components will cost them more next-gen than they would have cost them in 2013/2016.

The wording suggests someone covering their ass because the price isn't set yet.
Exactly.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
A lot of people were saying the same thing about this gen.
Cerny himself has said that the PS5 is traditionally big next gen leap.

Frankly I think people are bringing ps4 + pro, because Sony don't have an answer for the rumoured lockhart, but it's comparing apples to oranges, the ps4 + Pro are last gen consoles, it makes no sense to bring them up when discussing the next gen market. After the first year last gen consoles are going to be no more relevant then the 360/ps3 were after there first, even more so next gen because of stadia and the rumoured lockhart.

Also iOS versions will span over a few gens of hardware, its not the case with consoles, for Sony we know there won't be any forwards compatibility.

Games like fortnite will be on PS4/X1 for a while because the goal of epic is for that game to be everywhere, but I hope we see new games and ideas for the next gen and not a business models that make companies richer but slow down the state of the art and innovation.
Dude you are hammering on possibilities as if they were fact... And if anyone is dumb enough to lump current gen consoles with next-gen consoles then you shouldn't even be taking them seriously because that person has no idea what they are talking about.

Rather than go on arguing about this will just reiterate on something I had said before in the other thread.

I do not know what the PS5 will cost, but I believe MS will not have a SKU that is more expensive than the PS5. If The PS5 is $399? MS will be right there with them, if they are $499, again MS will be right there at that price point. And I have my reasons for thinking this way, but that's neither here nor there.

Feb 10, 2018
I just don't see it in the day and age with current gen games coming to Switch. If a lot of titles can run and work on Switch, why would devs give up on a generation that has 100+ million install base (PS4 architecture) only after a year? ESPECIALLY when that generation of console shares it's architecture with the next generation. I don't see a day where most indie games require what the PS5 has to offer and just to drop PS4 a year after release. I fully expect Sony to keep pushing the PS4 price lower and lower to get people into the ecosystem and it being a major part of their "next gen" strategy.

A lot of indie games are possible on last gen consoles, but they didn't release on them.
I do think this gen will have games releasing on them for longer because of the slowing of moores law and as tech gets more sophisticated improvements won't be as drastic.
When the majority of AAA games come on next gen (in there 2nd year 2022) switch, ps4, x1 won't be able to run them due ram and CPU and possibly gpu features.
This does not indicate more people then previous gen will buy last gen console when the next gen ones are out, especially when there streaming and when lockhart might not be much more.

Jan 21, 2019
Why are people assuming that there will suddenly be 'mid-gen' consoles just because last gen had one? The PS1, PS2, and PS3 had no such mid-gen. This last gen saw an exception because of the hardware being too weak at the start of a new generation. Just because they made an exception doesn't mean that's the start of a new paradigm.

Because raytracing is a new buzzword, the consoles will support it but only crudely and mid gen refleshes will "unleash the true power of raytracing (TM)(R)"

If people are buying, then they will be selling. I would buy one. But there are enough reasons to do it, be it more raytracing, 8k checkerboarding or just more power for dynamic games to run natively at 4k/60.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
So how limiting will the lower price console form MS be when it comes to making that next gen leap. If third parties have to target it as the lowest common denominator, wouldn't it mean that next gen jump won't be nearly as impressive as we want it to be?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
A lot of indie games are possible on last gen consoles, but they didn't release on them.

Also, the paradigm of game development changed drastically between PS360 gen and PS4/One/Switch. Self publishing wasn't even really a thing before this generation. Now pretty much anyone can develop and game and ship it on consoles. That wasn't really possible on last gen and it wasn't like Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo "unlocked" their previous generations consoles for indie devs once it started happening. It's also the result of consoles now being very similar architecturally to PCs (X86) and mobile (Switch's ARM architecture).

Devs won't abandon this generation as fast when there really isn't a reason to- especially for indie or AA games or games like Fortnite and Minecraft that literally run on nearly everything and it's not like supporting X86 is going to be a huge burden on them unlike developing for PPC or Cell.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how limiting will the lower price console form MS be when it comes to making that next gen leap. If third parties have to target it as the lowest common denominator, wouldn't it mean that next gen jump won't be nearly as impressive as we want it to be?

I guess we'll see, bright side is the PS5 exclusives won't be hindered at least.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Because raytracing is a new buzzword, the consoles will support it but only crudely and mid gen refleshes will "unleash the true power of raytracing (TM)(R)"

If people are buying, then they will be selling. I would buy one. But there are enough reasons to do it, be it more raytracing, 8k checkerboarding or just more power for dynamic games to run natively at 4k/60.

LOL!. So you basically are 'making' Sony/MS have a mid-gen refresh because you say so?

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.