• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
It doesn't matter how good you are, if you can't play half of your games, then you might as well be watching all of them at home.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Goat talk:

Melvin: You mentioned staying healthy and the COVID vaccine. Are you at all concerned about the protocols?

Jordan: Not at all. Not at all. I am total in unison with the league. And I think everybody, you know, has been speaking about the vaccinations. And, you know, I'm a firm believer in science and, you know, I'm going to stick with that and hopefully everybody abides by whatever the league sets the rules. I think once everybody buys in, we're going the be fine.

sports.yahoo.com

Michael Jordan endorses NBA's handling of COVID-19 vaccine: 'I'm a firm believer in science'

MJ has no issues with the NBA's COVID-19 protocols.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
It doesn't matter how good you are, if you can't play half of your games, then you might as well be watching all of them at home.

That depends though. A lot of people say regular season doesn't matter as long as you make it to the playoffs. But if Kyrie can't play every playoff game, that would just fuck up the whole chemistry.

Kangu

Apr 19, 2018
User banned (1 month): Spreading vaccine misinformation over a series of posts
Didn't Kyrie already get Covid? If he did, he shouldn't have to get the vaccine. I find it funny that everyone screams TRUST THE SCIENCE but then is happy to ignore it when players that already had Covid would prefer not to get the vaccine, as was the case with Wiggins. What do all these "scientists" thinks the vaccine does?

Of course, if he's never had covid and doesn't want to get the vaccine he's a dumbass.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This man is about to get half a season's pay for sitting on the bench doing nothing. Incredible. And probably still chip.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Kyrie already get Covid? If he did, he shouldn't have to get the vaccine. I find it funny that everyone screams TRUST THE SCIENCE but then is happy to ignore it when players that already had Covid would prefer not to get the vaccine, as was the case with Wiggins. What do all these "scientists" thinks the vaccine does?

Of course, if he's never had covid and doesn't want to get the vaccine he's a dumbass.

Uhhhh, what science says people who have had Covid don't need the vaccine? You don't automatically get antibodies by getting Covid. That's not a given whatsoever.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Good lord it has being said a million times that you should 100% still get the vaccine even if you had covid. This is isnt a game.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

You can survive one round of covid and die from the second one. Delta has been killing people who have had covid prior. the vaccination plus surviving covid is the most ideal, not just saying BUT MAH NATURAL IMMUNITY.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Covid not only exposed our healthcare issues but also our self absorbed stupid dumbass people issues.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
You can survive one round of covid and die from the second one. Delta has been killing people who have had covid prior. the vaccination plus surviving covid is the most ideal, not just saying BUT MAH NATURAL IMMUNITY.

As someone who already had covid back in July after being vaccinated, how long do you think my immunity would last? Does anyone have an average?

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017

No I don't believe it was ever confirmed he had covid. Besides the vaccine boosts natural immunity. Just look at Lamar Jackson's dumb ass, he'll probably get the trifecta before it's all over.

I have no idea where you got the impression people gave Wiggins a pass. Bradley Beale got covid and is getting dragged through the mud as well for not being vaccinated yet.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Uhhhh, what science says people who have had Covid don't need the vaccine? You don't automatically get antibodies by getting Covid. That's not a given whatsoever.

I mean, people who have had COVID DO get antibodies. Some get very few, which may fade quickly, but that's true of the vaccine for some people too. Antibodies aren't the end all/be all of your body's ability to fight COVID in the future anyway.

Natural infection does help against reinfection and likely against severe outcomes in future infections. But its generally not considered as strong as the vaccine. Some doctors do think those who have had COVID only need one shot of the vaccine, but they should absolutely be getting at least that.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

what reputable science tells you not to get the vaccine if you've already had Covid? You doin your own research too?

Kangu

Apr 19, 2018
what reputable science tells you not to get the vaccine if you've already had Covid? You doin your own research too?

I am informing myself from as many trustworthy sources as possible, guess that counts as "doin' my own research". Most reputable scientists are recommending 1 dose of vaccine for people who've had Covid. 1 dose would in effect NOT meet the criteria for Kyrie to play, unless it was J&J.

People are very comfortable treating "THE VACCINE" as if it was some monolith, when in fact there is quite a wide degree of difference between something like Pfizer with 90+% protection against infection and J&J which is in the 70% range. People don't really care that Kyrie (or whoever) is protected against covid to the highest degree possible, what they care about is that he obeys the mandate because it's the mandate.

If it's about highest protection why not mandate boosters if it's been more than x time since your vaccination? Why not mandate Pfizer and Moderna only? Why not mandate antibody tests so that if your antibodies fall below a some detectable level you need to get re-vaccinated? There exist an infinite number of additional requirements that could be created to maximize protection. Since it's not about maximizing protection, and we're making no distinction between vaccines with wildly varying efficacy, then why should someone with prior infection not count the same as someone who was vaccinated?

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I am informing myself from as many trustworthy sources as possible, guess that counts as "doin' my own research". Most reputable scientists are recommending 1 dose of vaccine for people who've had Covid. 1 dose would in effect NOT meet the criteria for Kyrie to play, unless it was J&J.

People are very comfortable treating "THE VACCINE" as if it was some monolith, when in fact there is quite a wide degree of difference between something like Pfizer with 90+% protection against infection and J&J which is in the 70% range. People don't really care that Kyrie (or whoever) is protected against covid to the highest degree possible, what they care about is that he obeys the mandate because it's the mandate.

If it's about highest protection why not mandate boosters if it's been more than x time since your vaccination? Why not mandate Pfizer and Moderna only? Why not mandate antibody tests so that if your antibodies fall below a some detectable level you need to get re-vaccinated? There exist an infinite number of additional requirements that could be created to maximize protection. Since it's not about maximizing protection, and we're making no distinction between vaccines with wildly varying efficacy, then why should someone with prior infection not count the same as someone who was vaccinated?

I mean, a lot of what you're saying is just outright wrong.

Many scientists are recommending "at least" 1 dose of the vaccine, not "only" 1 dose for those who have had COVID. While one dose may well be enough for those who have had COVID, a second dose is not going to hurt anyone.

Regardless, all Kyrie needs is one dose. The New York mandate only requires you to have received one dose. Not be fully vaccinated. So you're flat out wrong that this would not "meet the criteria". Some other states/locations require the full vaccination, but all of those would be allowing him to get tested as an alternative. He'd be able to play. While one dose may not be ideal for many, it is very possible that this exception was put in place specifically because many people are choosing only one after having had COVID.

The reason the NBA wants everyone to be vaccinated is so they can get as close to normal as possible in these times. After nearly two years of COVID, that's what most people want, to get life closer to normal. Antibody testing everyone regularly is a long way from that, and quite frankly isn't really needed to manage things at this point with so many being vaccinated.

Regardless, this isn't even the NBA's choice ultimately. Unvaxxed players like Bradley Beal and Michael Porter Jr will be playing. This is about a New York mandate. A mandate which is absolutely not about protecting Kyrie Irving. You're right about that, no one at this point cares if Kyrie Irving is protected. He's had plenty of time to protect himself if he wants to be. It's sad that he won't, but that's his call ultimately. What many people do however care about is protecting others from Kyrie Irving. Whose lack of vaccination makes him significantly more likely to get COVID and then spread it to others.

Even then though, it still isn't really about Kyrie Irving. We're never going to get EVERYONE vaxxed and society can operate fine with a handful of unvaxxed people here and there. The mandate is in place however both to protect people from COVID but also to push those who still haven't to get vaccinated. That's the main goal, to inconvenience the last of the holdouts who can still be reached into getting vaccinated. Into doing their part and hopefully push us over the level we need to be to put an end to this pandemic. (Not to COVID obviously, but to the COVID pandemic) Does Kyrie individually matter that much to that? Not as an individual, his influence arguably does but as an individual no one person matters that much to this. You don't help the importance of the overall goal though by making exceptions for millionaire conspiracy theorists. No game is worth jeopardizing public health.

Every vaccination, including Johnson & Johnson, has shown stronger results in many studies than natural infection alone.

Last edited:

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Has it been confirmed that Kyrie had covid?

No?

Your post is moot.

(And full of many incorrect statements)

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
People don't really care that Kyrie (or whoever) is protected against covid to the highest degree possible, what they care about is that he obeys the mandate because it's the mandate.

You caught me. I don't care about the health and wellbeing of my fellow humans. I just fucking LOVE mandates.

Kangu

Apr 19, 2018
I mean, a lot of what you're saying is just outright wrong.

Many scientists are recommending "at least" 1 dose of the vaccine, not "only" 1 dose for those who have had COVID. While one dose may well be enough for those who have had COVID, a second dose is not going to hurt anyone.

Many scientists are recommending only one dose, if for no other reason, because having a second dose after already having a first + covid can result in a having a bad time / very strong immune response to the second dose. You are free to have 10 doses if you like while developing countries continue with vaccination rates in the low single digits. It's not going to "hurt" you.

Regardless, all Kyrie needs is one dose. The New York mandate only requires you to have received one dose. Not be fully vaccinated. So you're flat out wrong that this would not "meet the criteria". Some other states/locations require the full vaccination, but all of those would be allowing him to get tested as an alternative. He'd be able to play. While one dose may not be ideal for many, it is very possible that this exception was put in place specifically because many people are choosing only one after having had COVID.

Fair point, I stand corrected on the nature of the mandate in NYC.

The reason the NBA wants everyone to be vaccinated is so they can get as close to normal as possible in these times. After nearly two years of COVID, that's what most people want, to get life closer to normal. Antibody testing everyone regularly is a long way from that, and quite frankly isn't really needed to manage things at this point with so many being vaccinated.

Why would mandating vaccination of people who have had prior covid bring us closer to normal? Again, what do you think the vaccine does compared to natural infection?

Every vaccination, including Johnson & Johnson, has shown stronger results in many studies than natural infection alone.

Would love to see this if you have it. Definitely does not match up with what I've seen when taking into account all forms of immune response, duration of immunity / T-cell immunity, etc.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I am not advocating for people to go and get covid INSTEAD of the vaccine. That would be insane. And by all means, if you've had covid go ahead and get a "top up" with the vaccine. But pretending the VACCINE MONOLITH provides the exact level of protection required to re-open society while prior infection is utterly irrelevant and useless is also anti-science.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
The nuts thing about all of this is that I bet Kyrie, deep down, really thinks he's some kind of martyr, when in reality the fact that he (potentially) missed a season or more for THIS reason, of all reasons, is going to age so fucking poorly. Like imagine in 10 years when Kyrie Irving's entire legacy is "Oh yeah that guy missed an entire season because he refused to get vaccinated during a pandemic that killed tens of millions of people". He's going to look like an even bigger dumbs as time goes on.

This is 100% going to define his legacy years from now. And guys at the top typically care about the legacy stuff so I wonder if this would get him to change his mind.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kareem, MJ, and Fauci vs. Kyrie Irving with some support from Draymond. I know which side I'm choosing.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
good but would have preferred that they said that his "choice" was a danger to the rest of the team if he interacts with them and that those types of choices are not taking into account the needs of others

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Many scientists are recommending only one dose, if for no other reason, because having a second dose after already having a first + covid can result in a having a bad time / very strong immune response to the second dose.
Oh fuck. Shit. Not a strong immune response to the vaccine! Damn. Here I was hoping I didn't get ANY immune response to the vaccine or at least a weak one so I can get COVID next month.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Why aren't the (thankfully few) people defending this shit and spewing vaccine misinformation catching bans.

You can't call someone a fucking moron on this forum for spewing vaccine misinformation, but spreading misinformation is cool. LUL

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Man if I was KD I would put Kyrie on blast at this point.

Why aren't the (thankfully few) people defending this shit and spewing vaccine misinformation catching bans.

You can't call someone a fucking moron on this forum for spewing vaccine misinformation, but spreading misinformation is cool. LUL

Well if everyone assumes someone else will report them then nobody does.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Many scientists are recommending only one dose, if for no other reason, because having a second dose after already having a first + covid can result in a having a bad time / very strong immune response to the second dose.
This is flatout false and pure misinformation.

Any competent scientists or medical professional will recommend the appropriate amount of shots (two for most vaccines, now three with a booster) if the vaccine is readily available.

Of course, one shot is better than no shot but that is a different issue.
Some small section of the population cannot get vaxxed because their immune response would be too strong. Different issue as well.

But for 99% of healthy adults and teenagers scientists are definitely not recommending against second shots due to a potentially strong immune response in rare cases.

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Kyrie can now spend his time proving the Earth is flat. He'll buy a boat and fall off the end of the world...wherever that is. This dude just sailing the oceans looking for the edge would be a perfect way for the rest of his life to be spent.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
why in the world would the 76ers want to sign up for this?

Sign up for what? Philadelphia has no vaccine mandate, Kyrie could play in every game if he was in Philly and would likely be a great complement to Embiid. Its more than they're getting anywhere else for Simmons. The issue is that Kyrie is threatening to retire if traded.