• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I would expect vaccinations to be a major point of contention when CBA talks start over the next couple years.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
He's only getting held his salary? Nets are despicable.

They have to pay him for games he is eligible for that the team decides he can't play in (aka road games). Teams are covered by the legal restrictions put in place by states/cities, but those stupidly include exemptions for travelling players.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Good stuff from the Nets front office, Nash, KD, and Harden.

I would expect vaccinations to be a major point of contention when CBA talks start over the next couple years.

Knowing the NBAPA they'll probably idiotically fight this harder than they did to losing revenue percentage to the owners last time around.

Last edited:

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely related to Irving, but this costly (to the Nets) clown show that Irving is causing is going to force the NBA to heavily scrutinize players going forward.

No team wants to risk millions of dollars on some guy who may pull some crazy anti-vax, storm the capital, spew racism online, etc nonsense. I can see a lot more scrutiny during drafts and trades from here on out. Same goes for regular employers nationwide. Because you can bet your ass HR and hiring managers are scouring social media when you apply for a position.

I could see COVID vaccination being a requirement for future drafts.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Oh Kyrie…. You make me so sad. I feel bad for James Harden and KD quite frankly. All that work they put in only for their teammate and friend not willing to make a sacrifice and get vaxxed for the good of the team. Seeing the right wing conservatives like Trump Jr. praising him can't be making him happy, can it? If they keep the praise up, maybe he'll get it so they can stop? That's the hope it seems. I hope he keeps up with conditioning in his spare time so he isn't fully out of game shape should the situation change.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Under the NBA's policy for unvaccinated players, they can.

Which is probably why the Nets seemingly has grown a spine.

I assume this is what the NBA had intended anyways, to allow teams to get out of stuff like this, and take action without consequences since this was negotiated with the NBAPA as the policy.
Would he also be deducted pay in cities where he wouldnt be allowed to play? That's adds a fair number more games to the half he cant play in NYC.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Does Kyrie have to travel with the team and sit on the bench for road games to get paid for those games? Or can he stay home?

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Nope, and any games in road locations that require a vaccine (though there's some weird loophole in some places for visiting workers)

There are no such road places currently. Every location has an exception for visiting players from other states.

The only road games he can't play in technically are the ones against the Knicks because they're the same state so he's not considered "visiting". So he'll be paid for 39 games. No real way around that, this is ultimately the team's choice assuming he's willing to play the road games.

Its just not a sustainable option though. At first I thought they'd still play him on the road but the more I've thought on it, the more this makes sense. People go in and out of the lineup for a variety of reasons and teams adjust to it, but to ask his teammates to flip the switch and the way they play that frequently would be tough and you have to play differently when a guy like Kyrie is in the lineup.

Perhaps they change their minds come playoff time, or if they have a serious injury, or maybe later in the season New York loosens its mandate if things are better (a lot of current projections are that by March we're going to be in a VERY good place numbers wise. I could see them loosening up at that point) but until then, he'll sit.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Does Kyrie have to travel with the team and sit on the bench for road games to get paid for those games? Or can he stay home?

That's up to the team. My guess is that they'll prefer he stay home, him being on the bench for half their games could easily become a distraction, but time will tell.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how diff this would have played out if they never got Harden, would the team have the balls to do this if they didn't have two mvps?

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Outside the Knicks, I think he's allowed to play away games even in cities with the mandate.

There are no such road places currently. Every location has an exception for visiting players from other states.

The only road games he can't play in technically are the ones against the Knicks because they're the same state so he's not considered "visiting". So he'll be paid for 39 games. No real way around that, this is ultimately the team's choice assuming he's willing to play the road games.

I'm surprised California and Canada has a traveler exemption.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Trade- They can do that, but what team will want to take on that baggage?
Waive- They can do that, but do the Nets want to eat $70 million over the next two years which would also go against the salary cap and effectively kill their championship window.
Continue paying- Well the exact legal terms seem to be a little murky at the moment but it sounds like they are on the hook for paying him only for the road games that he sits outs since he is eligible to play those games right now (minus California)

Basically the best avenue for the Nets is to sit him and try to convince his ass to get vaccinated. If he chooses not to and they chose not to pay him then they are on the hook for 35~40 games worth of Kyrie's salary.

He's eligible to play in California. California does not have a mandate. LA and San Francisco both do but both have an exception for visiting players.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I'm surprised California and Canada has a traveler exemption.

California doesn't even have a mandate needing an exception. San Francisco and LA both do, which accounts for 3 of the 4 California teams, but both cities do have an exception through testing. He could play there.

Canada also has an exception, but its very strict. Lots of testing required and he is only allowed to drive from the airport to his hotel, which he can then only leave for team activities specifically. If he leaves the hotel for any other reason he could be subject to both a huge fine and jail time.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
(additionally the union explicitly agreed to not paying players who won't abide local vaccine mandates)

This gets said a lot but isn't entirely true.

basketball.realgm.com

Michele Roberts Refutes Reports NBPA Has Agreed To Pay Reduction For Any Unvaccinated Players

Michele Roberts Refutes Reports NBPA Has Agreed To Pay Reduction For Any Unvaccinated Players - RealGM Wiretap

The union have disputed that framing. The NBA's position is that they don't need the union's permission to not pay players who have to sit out for vaccine reasons. He union has acknowledged that is the NBA's position and thinks they may be right, but they haven't necessarily agreed to it and may take action for those players at a later time.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

The team is telling him he can't be a part of team activities, so he can stay home and get paid. They can't do that and then also withhold his money. This is different from home games where its state/city regulation preventing him from playing.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Not entirely related to Irving, but this costly (to the Nets) clown show that Irving is causing is going to force the NBA to heavily scrutinize players going forward.

No team wants to risk millions of dollars on some guy who may pull some crazy anti-vax, storm the capital, spew racism online, etc nonsense. I can see a lot more scrutiny during drafts and trades from here on out. Same goes for regular employers nationwide. Because you can bet your ass HR and hiring managers are scouring social media when you apply for a position.

The Nuggets just handed Michael Porter Jr, who is also very vocally not getting vaccinated, a maximum extension. Plenty of teams are willing to put up with whatever if you can play. New York's mandate is the only reason this is an issue. If Kyrie were willing to be traded the Nets would have tons of teams willing to take him on today too, in places where there's no mandate to make this an issue. Kyrie has threatened to retire if traded though, as he doesn't want to leave the Nets. I'd assume he's banking on COVID improving enough by late in the season that the mandate is loosened or removed so he can return for the playoffs.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What really pisses me off is that Kyrie tried to play an entire season knowing KD wasn't available, when we had no shot at the title that year. Now we're poised to really make a championship run & this is the stance he takes. I truly don't understand. Is his "research" not coming back conclusive or something?

Fucking Ben Simmons came back before Kyrie, what the hell?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This gets said a lot but isn't entirely true.

basketball.realgm.com

Michele Roberts Refutes Reports NBPA Has Agreed To Pay Reduction For Any Unvaccinated Players

Michele Roberts Refutes Reports NBPA Has Agreed To Pay Reduction For Any Unvaccinated Players - RealGM Wiretap

The union have disputed that framing. The NBA's position is that they don't need the union's permission to not pay players who have to sit out for vaccine reasons. He union has acknowledged that is the NBA's position and thinks they may be right, but they haven't necessarily agreed to it and may take action for those players at a later time.

Interesting... it gets said a lot, because that's what was reported but going back and re-reading those articles they just cite 'sources'. At any rate, doesn't really change my broader point. I imagine then that they'd definitely put up a fight at some point, but even she does not sound very confident they'd win

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
I wish SF and LA didn't have travelers exemptions, would make for a much more interesting situation. Will Kyrie even agree with testing?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
During his year off, Kyrie should buy a boat and sail to the end of the earth.
the-last-ship.jpg

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
What really pisses me off is that Kyrie tried to play an entire season knowing KD wasn't available, when we had no shot at the title that year. Now we're poised to really make a championship run & this is the stance he takes. I truly don't understand. Is his "research" not coming back conclusive or something?

Fucking Ben Simmons came back before Kyrie, what the hell?
He's a selfish egotistical asshole.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I wish SF and LA didn't have travelers exemptions, would make for a much more interesting situation. Will Kyrie even agree with testing?

It would impact a lot more players, that's for sure. Guys like Michael Porter Jr in Denver and Bradley Beal in Washington are just as unvaccinated as Kyrie, but it won't impact them because neither of their cities has instituted a mandate. They'll be subject to additional testing/distancing in some scenarios but be able to play still.

I've seen nothing to suggest any of these guys have an issue with testing.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I truly don't understand. Is his "research" not coming back conclusive or something?
I mean last time Kyrie famously went public with his "research," he concluded the world was flat…Not thinking he's put many stat points into his "critical thinking" and "information processing" skill trees during his life.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
If Nets win (and I hope they do), Kyrie will honestly be the actual perfect example of a star who never won a real ring.(if he hadn't won in 2016)

Last edited:

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
If Nets win (and I hope they do), Kyrie will honestly be the actual perfect example of a star who never won a real ring.(if he hadn't won in 2016

This would be so perfect, in light of the fact that he's already salty about what happened in Boston. They made it further in the playoffs with him injured (2018) than with him playing (2019).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Spot fucking on, and well done on the statement.

Kyrie has a right to choose, and if choosing to be a part time player on the team, he has no role on the team.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing that might save Kyrie (from his own stupidity) and the Nets is if the situation changes and places like NY start to relax some of their covid restrictions come, say, Jan or Feb.

pft...........winters coming and this shit going to take off again due to variants because people just won't get vaccinated.

Only way this stops is with Osha's rules on mandates and 76 more million americans being required to become vaccinated at employers of over 100 employees.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
This would be so perfect, in light of the fact that he's already salty about what happened in Boston. They made it further in the playoffs with him injured (2018) than with him playing (2019).

ehhh they lost in the 1st round against Bucks in 2018 and lost in the 2nd round against the Bucks in 2019 where Giannis had his 1st MVP season.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
pft...........winters coming and this shit going to take off again due to variants because people just won't get vaccinated.

Only way this stops is with Osha's rules on mandates and 76 more million americans being required to become vaccinated at employers of over 100 employees.

The counter to that is Delta is spreading rapidly through unvaccinated pops, so whether they like it or not there are a significant number of them that are getting antibodies from contracting the disease.

The other two game changers here are likely COVID fighting pills are coming, Merck is just applying for emergency FDA approval of its and I believe Pfizer has one coming too, that should help take the stress off hospitals even among those who are unvaccinated.

Thirdly, vaccines will soon have approval for under 12 year olds, and I think that's been a safe haven for the virus to circulate in.

While with anything it's hard to predict with certainty, I do think we could be in a different place come next March/April say.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
The counter to that is Delta is spreading rapidly through unvaccinated pops, so whether they like it or not there are a significant number of them that are getting antibodies from contracting the disease.

The other two game changers here are likely COVID fighting pills are coming, Merck is just applying for emergency FDA approval of its and I believe Pfizer has one coming too, that should help take the stress off hospitals even among those who are unvaccinated.

Thirdly, vaccines will soon have approval for under 12 year olds, and I think that's been a safe haven for the virus to circulate in.

While with anything it's hard to predict with certainty, I do think we could be in a different place come next March/April say.

Yup, Merck's pill could be a huge game changer. If it works like it did in the trials in real life we could see up to a 50% reduction in hospitalizations and possibly more in deaths (I say up to because not like everyone who gets COVID is going to take the thing). Combined with numbers already dropping, the real possibility that the antibodies from a combination of vaccination/natural infection are quite possibly reaching a tipping point in some places, and child vaccinations possibly giving us a significant boost and we could be in a very different place within a relatively short amount of time.

I've seen even some pessimistic experts suggest recently also that DELTA has actually significantly decreased the risk of worse variants coming along because to really become a major issue they'd need to be able to compete with DELTA to outspread it. That's a very hard bar to cross because DELTA is so infectious. Not impossible, but a high bar.