• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Option 1b (HDR Game) is back with recommended Dynamic Contrast: MEDIUM + Color: 65 only.

I found that DC: LOW + Color: 60 may look better with very few exceptions and with games only (e.g. games without any HDR sliders as FFXV), but looks worse compared to HDR Technicolor with Active HDR with all games with proper HDR sliders and with basically 99% of HDR movies I tested.

For example with Gears 5 HDR settings (which will also be the reference HDR implementation for the "Auto HDR" feature on Xbox Series X), leaving all at defaults but just increasing the max HDR Luminance to 4.000 to match the HDR Game profile tone mapping, DC: MEDIUM + Color: 65 is visually identical to calibrated HDR Technicolor with Active HDR.

Most recent HDR movies (e.g. Avengers: Infinity War and End Game, Joker, Lion King etc.) are also identical 99% of the time.
Even most HDR Demos on YouTube will be the same.

So, sorry for the roll-back, but that's it ^^

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Are there any recommendations for lg2017 audio settings? Ideally I'd like to just pass thru to the amp over hdmi without the tv getting in the way - possible?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Are there any recommendations for lg2017 audio settings? Ideally I'd like to just pass thru to the amp over hdmi without the tv getting in the way - possible?
Yes.
Use HDMI/ARC output only, with "Auto" source and also enable CEC.

Then enable Audio Sync with Audio Delay set to -5.

(do this for All inputs, e.g. web OS apps, webOs TV, web OS Photo/Video app, Xbox HDMI input, PS4 Pro HDMI input etc.)

Finally I would also recommend using Bitstream + DTS Digital Surround instead of Dolby (e.g. select this on Xbox audio settings) to avoid any audio delay or lip-sync issues.

PowerK

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Assassin's Creed Oddysey has raised black with 4000 nit, 200 paper white and default brightness. It looks all right during in-game day time. But at night, everything looks greyish. I've tested this on both Q9FN QLED and E9 OLED.

Brightness needs to be lowered a notch or two. Even then, it looks quite off during in-game night time (but looks better than leaving the brightness at default.)
I think gamma setting for this game is off by a big margin.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Assassin's Creed Oddysey has raises black with 4000 nit, 200 paper white and default brightness. It looks all right during in-game day time. But at night, everything looks greyish. I've teated this on both Q9FN QLED and E9 OLED.

Brightness needs to be lowered a notch or two. Even then, it looks quite off during in-game night time.
I think gamma setting for this game is off by a big margin.
4.000 nits max HDR luminance and 200 (even 250) paper white are correct for LG OLEDs HDR Game modes from 2017 models forward (no HGIG).

Both AC: Odyssey and Origins have then the regular "Brightness" settings which is somewhat broken, as on both titles I had to lower it a tick or 2 compared to default, even in HDR.

After that, what you see is what devs intended also for night time.
Very often they don't target "true black" at all at night to preserve gameplay visibility over real life fidelity.

PowerK

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
4.000 nits max HDR luminance and 200 (even 250) paper white are correct for LG OLEDs HDR Game modes from 2017 models forward (no HGIG).

Both AC: Odyssey and Origins have then the regular "Brightness" settings which is somewhat broken, as on both titles I had to lower it a tick or 2 compared to default, even in HDR.
That's exactly what I'm saying. OP needs to be updated to lower brightness a notch or two.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all, I've got a question. It's not quite the same TV, but thought this might be the best thread to ask in...

I've had a B6 OLED for a few years now. When I first got it the 'Game Mode' for HDR content was really, really dim, so I gave up on it and just put up with the additional lag on the standard mode.

Anyway, I was absent-mindedly playing around with the TV this morning and it looks like they must have fixed it in an update at some point, because I toggled game mode on and it now looks way better. Turns out I'd had my TV set to 'HDR Bright' all this time, which really blows everything out in comparison. Might explain why I've never been all that impressed with HDR before...

Anyway, my question is, whilst the games themselves look great, I've noticed that when I bring up the Xbox in-game guide, all those elements do look noticeably 'dim' in comparison to everything else. I just wanted to check if this was normal? Is the guide just not tuned for HDR like the games are?

I just want to make sure I've got everything set correctly, as it turns out I've been doing it wrong for years...

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Hi all, I've got a question. It's not quite the same TV, but thought this might be the best thread to ask in...

I've had a B6 OLED for a few years now. When I first got it the 'Game Mode' for HDR content was really, really dim, so I gave up on it and just put up with the additional lag on the standard mode.

Anyway, I was absent-mindedly playing around with the TV this morning and it looks like they must have fixed it in an update at some point, because I toggled game mode on and it now looks way better. Turns out I'd had my TV set to 'HDR Bright' all this time, which really blows everything out in comparison. Might explain why I've never been all that impressed with HDR before...

Anyway, my question is, whilst the games themselves look great, I've noticed that when I bring up the Xbox in-game guide, all those elements do look noticeably 'dim' in comparison to everything else. I just wanted to check if this was normal? Is the guide just not tuned for HDR like the games are?

I just want to make sure I've got everything set correctly, as it turns out I've been doing it wrong for years...
If you have an updated B6 OLED, your current HDR Game mode is back to what it was before the "dimming patch", so basically now it's the same as HDR Standard tone mapping.

It is a lot brighter, but a lot less accurate in managing HDR highlights (most of the higher curve will just be clipped away, losing details).

Try lowering its brightness to 49, sharpness 0, set color to 55 with Auto gamut, color temp 50 and disable any dynamic contrast or other post processing effect.

This is the best you would get out of that mode for that TV, but just keep in mind it will now be less accurate both in games and movies.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
If you have an updated B6 OLED, your current HDR Game mode is back to what it was before the "dimming patch", so basically now it's the same as HDR Standard tone mapping.

It is a lot brighter, but a lot less accurate in managing HDR highlights (most of the higher curve will just be clipped away, losing details).

Try lowering its brightness to 49, sharpness 0, set color to 55 with Auto gamut, color temp 50 and disable any dynamic contrast or other post processing effect.

This is the best you would get out of that mode for that TV, but just keep in mind it will now be less accurate both in games and movies.

Thanks a lot, really appreciate the help. I'll go with those settings then :)

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
That's exactly what I'm saying. OP needs to be updated to lower brightness a notch or two.
I know I'm in the wrong thread again now having a c9 but even when I had a c7 it was the same so I assume it still applies. On AC odyssey I can lower the brightness all the way to the left and still see the logo is this the same for you?

Oct 28, 2017
I've noticed that Brightness at 52 introduces elevated black levels with DC at medium, dropping it to 51 fixes this. This is especially apparent in Gears 5's Allfathers arena.

Settings are still great otherwise, thanks for sharing! :)

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I've noticed that Brightness at 52 introduces elevated black levels with DC at medium, dropping it to 51 fixes this. This is especially apparent in Gears 5's Allfathers arena.

Settings are still great otherwise, thanks for sharing! :)
I didn't spot any issues with it at 52 on my LG B7.
For example cinematics black bars and black loading screens are still true black with no apparent pixel grid anywhere, even up close, and that's a good way to spot actual raised black issues.

Keep also in mind that many games purposely increase black levels or won't use true blacks in-game for design or artistic choices.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
For accurate PC gaming and low input lag, is it still fine to set the input to PC mode, and use cinema or ISF settings? Wasn't sure if that's still comparable to game mode input lag. I'm playing Jedi Fallen Order and would like a somewhat accurate film like image but input lag around what game mode performance.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
For accurate PC gaming and low input lag, is it still fine to set the input to PC mode, and use cinema or ISF settings? Wasn't sure if that's still comparable to game mode input lag. I'm playing Jedi Fallen Order and would like a somewhat accurate film like image but input lag around what game mode performance.
For SDR I'm pretty sure PC Mode works perfectly, so you can use calibrated ISF and still have 21ms input lag, the same as SDR Game mode (some people then recommend to put Sharpness to 20 there instead of 0, but I'm not so sure).

For HDR is still a mess and I won't recommend it, as for most all HDR presets will have higher input lag except HDR Game mode.
The bad is that in PC Mode, HDR Game preset will have forced disabled Dynamic Contrast and forced Wide Gamut, so it is still not recommended.

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
Question about HDR option 2b(new) most accurate, why set PC input? Did something change? Doesn't PC input increase latency?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Question about HDR option 2b(new) most accurate, why set PC input? Did something change? Doesn't PC input increase latency?
For a while PC Input was a viable option both for SDR and HDR, as 4:4:4 ISF Dark at 21ms input lag was the best SDR option for gaming + HDR Game preset (without DC) was the most accurate (even if a bit dimmer) with 4.000 nits games and movies and had Auto Gamut.

Now HDR Game in PC Mode has forced Wide Gamut, so PC Mode is recommended only for real PC/Monitor replacement and for SDR contents.

For all other cases, Option 1 for SDR and Option 1b for HDR are the overall best.

Dolby Vision, once setup correctly, look the same on all inputs.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
For SDR I'm pretty sure PC Mode works perfectly, so you can use calibrated ISF and still have 21ms input lag, the same as SDR Game mode (some people then recommend to put Sharpness to 20 there instead of 0, but I'm not so sure).

For HDR is still a mess and I won't recommend it, as for most all HDR presets will have higher input lag except HDR Game mode.
The bad is that in PC Mode, HDR Game preset will have forced disabled Dynamic Contrast and forced Wide Gamut, so it is still not recommended.

Awesome thank you. I'm gaming in SDR on PC, HDR on PC seems finicky.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I have Horizon Zero Dawn looking pretty great on the C9.

I was wondering if anyone else would mind posting their settings so I could compare. It's the first game I've calibrated on it.

darkNemisiScloud

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Option 1b (HDR Game) is back with recommended Dynamic Contrast: MEDIUM + Color: 65 only.

I found that DC: LOW + Color: 60 may look better with very few exceptions and with games only (e.g. games without any HDR sliders as FFXV), but looks worse compared to HDR Technicolor with Active HDR with all games with proper HDR sliders and with basically 99% of HDR movies I tested.

For example with Gears 5 HDR settings (which will also be the reference HDR implementation for the "Auto HDR" feature on Xbox Series X), leaving all at defaults but just increasing the max HDR Luminance to 4.000 to match the HDR Game profile tone mapping, DC: MEDIUM + Color: 65 is visually identical to calibrated HDR Technicolor with Active HDR.

Most recent HDR movies (e.g. Avengers: Infinity War and End Game, Joker, Lion King etc.) are also identical 99% of the time.
Even most HDR Demos on YouTube will be the same.

So, sorry for the roll-back, but that's it ^^
Can I apply these settings to the c8?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Can I apply these settings to the c8?
Yes, as long as you disable Dynamic Tone Mapping for the HDR Game profile.

Alternatively you can disable Dynamic Contrast, enable Dynamic Tone Mapping and set Color 55 also for HDR Game, but people reported raised blacks and inconsistent behavior of DTM coupled with games.

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Slightly off topic, but does anybody know how to increase volume when using AirPods? I can't increase nor lower it.

Oct 27, 2017
Update V05.80,55 1. Improvement 1) Add HEVC logo to user guide 2) fix unknown device toast pop-up issue by Galvanic Corrosion

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
What do your recommend for general TV use- for example I have Directv. Would you say that your webOS + SDR Calibrated Settings settings are best? Sorry, I didn't want to search through the whole thread.
Yes, use those.
The only difference you may add for regular TV is also enabling "Super Resolution" and set both Noise Reducion options to LOW (or MEDIUM if the TV signal is very low resolution or bad).

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
d39a7630e2bef72f8094f790c7144d20.jpg

e83aafdf43db1029a33aef0cf98afa8d.jpg

d00ca4381d2aefcdda3467749f9ffdd6.jpg

This is the panel issue, right?
The tv is out of warranty. I've contacted the local repair service, but if I recall correctly, the price of a replacement panel is comparable to the price of a new tv.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
d39a7630e2bef72f8094f790c7144d20.jpg

e83aafdf43db1029a33aef0cf98afa8d.jpg

d00ca4381d2aefcdda3467749f9ffdd6.jpg

This is the panel issue, right?
The tv is out of warranty. I've contacted the local repair service, but if I recall correctly, the price of a replacement panel is comparable to the price of a new tv.
It seems image retention (if not permanent burn in).
I would try to do 3 Pixel Refreshes in a row first.

If you still have it, yes, you can try to contact LG for a replacement.

I read a lot of users out of warranty which succeeded in replacing their LG OLED defective unit for Free. Some even got newer models, for example from defective C7 to new C8 (depending where you live).

Try and let us know.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I read a lot of users out of warranty which succeeded in replacing their LG OLED defective unit for Free. Some even got newer models, for example from defective C7 to new C8 (depending where you live).

Try and let us know.

Well, they've told me that replacement part is 730e + vat.
That is like 70-75% of the price of new C9.

I've also checked rtings article https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test
As this is not an issue with the panel itself, it is possible to apply a fix to the lookup table. LG will apply this fix to anyone who presents this issue to their support, for free, even after the warranty period has long expired.

Not sure if I should just give up and buy a QLED :(

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Well, they've told me that replacement part is 730e + vat.
That is like 70-75% of the price of new C9.

I've also checked rtings article https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Not sure if I should just give up and buy a QLED :(
Oh I'm sorry to read that.

I had zero issues after 3 (intensive) years with by B7.
That was probably extremely bad luck.

At that price point I would still jump to a C9 by the way.
Once you go OLED, you never go "back".

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
How do you get 4:4:4 RGB with Apple TV ?
You can enable PC Input icon/mode, and then use the same webOS SDR recommended settings in the OP.

Be aware that HDR in PC Mode has issues tho.

If you're using Apple TV for mixed usage SDR (SDR/HDR/DV), it's better to avoid PC Mode and stick to 4:2:2.
The visual difference will be unnoticeable anyway.

If you're only using for SDR ok.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thanks as I upgraded from a c8 to an e9
The universal recommendation I could still give you are:
  • Always disable TruMotion and other motion smoothing option. Just enable "Real Cinema" if available and that's it;
  • Always use ISF Expert Dark preset for all SDR;
  • Always use Technicolor Expert preset for all HDR;
  • Always use DV Cinema Home preset for all DOLBY VISION;
  • For gaming: enable ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) if you have it, and try to equal the accuracy of the presets above also in Game Mode.
  • Use Sharpness 0 in all modes
  • Avoid PC Input icon. Use "Game Console" HDMI icon instead
  • Uncheck 422 on Xbox

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I had zero issues after 3 (intensive) years with by B7.
That was probably extremely bad luck.

I've been reading about this issue and turns out it is not bad luck at all - https://en.ppt-online.org/642978 .
So, all 55B/55C/55E7 tvs that were manufactured between April of 2017 and March of 2018 can potentially develop the same issue.
It happens after 2000 hours when pixel refresher is run or even earlier if you run it manually.

Affected tvs have serial numbers that are in the 704-803 range (my tv's serial number starts with 710).

I will contact the local LG service again and try to see if this info about the extended warranty will make them do something about my tv.
The issue is that I am living in a banana republic, so I don't have any expectations.
However, I hope that this info might help anyone whose tv develops similar issue.

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
I've been reading about this issue and turns out it is not bad luck at all - https://en.ppt-online.org/642978 .
So, all 55B/55C/55E7 tvs that were manufactured between April of 2017 and March of 2018 can potentially develop the same issue.
It happens after 2000 hours when pixel refresher is run or even earlier if you run it manually.

Affected tvs have serial numbers that are in the 704-803 range (my tv's serial number starts with 710).

I will contact the local LG service again and try to see if this info about the extended warranty will make them do something about my tv.
The issue is that I am living in a banana republic, so I don't have any expectations.
However, I hope that this info might help anyone whose tv develops similar issue.
This is old news and LG will replace the screen

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
The universal recommendation I could still give you are:
  • Always disable TruMotion and other motion smoothing option. Just enable "Real Cinema" if available and that's it;
  • For gaming: enable ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) if you have it, and try to equal the accuracy of the presets above also in Game Mode.
  • Use Sharpness 0 in all modes
  • Uncheck 422 on Xbox
Why uncheck 422?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
422 on Xbox adds further middle re-conversion (and compression) of color/chroma resulting in less accurate colors overall (even if very slight, and most noticeable on texts over bright color backgrounds).
It was demonstrated a couple of pages before.

Unchecking 422 (and also using the Standard Color Space with the 8-bit Color Depth selected) also means:
  • 4:4:4 Chroma / RGB Limited @ 8-bit in SDR (the best you can get for SDR)
  • Auto-switch for 4:2:0 @ 10-bit for HDR and 12-bit for DOLBY VISION (with native color accuracy for both)
This also explains why on first video configuration on a 4K/HDR TV, Xbox also defaults to those settings.

In the end 422 (and forced 10-bit or 12-bit selection) on Xbox should only be used if the TV has signal handshakes issues (like "snowing" pixels or total black-outs) with the default 422 Unchecked (and 8-bit).
It's only a compatibility (and a slightly less accurate) mode to save HDMI bandwidth.
If you have those issues with an LG OLED, just switching the HDMI cable from the default 2.0b one of Xbox to a Certified 2.1 HDMI cable will most likely fix them all.

Last edited:

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
422 on Xbox adds further middle re-conversion (and compression) of color/chroma resulting in less accurate colors overall (even if very slight, and most noticeable on texts over bright color backgrounds).
It was demonstrated a couple of pages before.

Unchecking 422 (and also using the Standard Color Space with the 8-bit Color Depth selected) also means:
  • 4:4:4 Chroma / RGB Limited @ 8-bit in SDR (the best you can get for SDR)
  • Auto-switch for 4:2:0 @ 10-bit for HDR and 12-bit for DOLBY VISION (with native color accuracy for both)
This also explains why on first video configuration on a 4K/HDR TV, Xbox also defaults to those settings.

In the end 422 (and forced 10-bit or 12-bit selection) on Xbox should only be used if the TV has signal handshakes issues (like "snowing" pixels or total black-outs) with the default 422 Unchecked (and 8-bit).
It's only a compatibility (and a slightly less accurate) mode to save HDMI bandwidth.
If you have those issues with an LG OLED, just switching the HDMI cable from the default 2.0b one of Xbox to a Certified 2.1 HDMI cable will most likely fix them all.
I don't have any issues I just remember we had days and days of discussion where you said 422 was correct

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Avoid PC Input icon. Use "Game Console" HDMI icon instead

I have been wondering about this. I have a B8 and PS4 but I assume it should be similar to the 7 series.

Does 'game console' icon do anything with regards to decreasing input lag? I know 'PC' icon fixed the input lag but there's HDR banding issues.

EDIT: Read the guides again and currently using game console icon with game mode.

EDIT 2: Is 'game console' icon suitable for playing blu-ray discs?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I have been wondering about this. I have a B8 and PS4 but I assume it should be similar to the 7 series.

Does 'game console' icon do anything with regards to decreasing input lag? I know 'PC' icon fixed the input lag but there's HDR banding issues.

EDIT: Read the guides again and currently using game console icon with game mode.

EDIT 2: Is 'game console' icon suitable for playing blu-ray discs?
PC Input is still bugged on all LG OLEDs, I would avoid it unless using it for SDR only.

"Game Console" input icon is suitable for everything, yes.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017

Just FYI. There's no difference in accuracy between Cinema, ISF, or Game modes. ISF is not more accurate out of the box. ISF Day and Night modes are required as part of the ISFcc for calibrators. Those modes aren't special.

Secondly, Technicolor is NOT for consumers. It uses a White Point offset of .300 .327 which is extremely far from D65, and from other alternative white points designed to cure metamerism. It is only to be used for Technicolor client viewing, and is referenced to a DCI white point used by xenon gas projectors. Useless for HDR10 and Gaming.

Game Icon does nothing for input lag. PC mode lowers it, but breaks HDR and only plays nice with 4:4:4. If you're using a 6 series through 8 series LG OLED you want to use PC mode for SDR gaming, and HDR Game mode.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Forgot to add. Unless 2017 was different, Dolby Cinema Home is not accurate to EOTF, but designed for bright room viewing and the gamma curve is too far left. Dolby Cinema with the proper peak luminance data is always the best setting from 2018-2020. I'll research how the 2017 models track.

Last edited: