• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I think the culprit here is your receiver. HDMI 2.1 receivers are very recent and are known to have issues. Have you considered using optical from TV to receiver for now (at the expense of Atmos)?

That's not entirely it since my receiver (different person) isn't hdmi but is earc and I have weird issues too which have been getting better with LG firmware updates.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
So what in-game settings are ya'll using in Fenyx Rising?

Is Luminance at 4000 and Exposure at 0.5 somewhat correct on a B7?

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
Instead, I have use a shARC because some dumbass made the decision to require the entire chain to be 2.1 compliant. Additionally, because CX's freak out if there's another CEC device in the chain, I have to run my TV boxes (AppleTV, Shield, etc) through Zone 4 of my receiver which just passes through.
I tried the shARC but it doesn't fix the audio delay problem using Atmos and, as you found out, you can't run anything else through the receiver to the TV because of a feedback loop issue. Just stuck with DD+ and standard ARC to my receiver for Series X use.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
LG B8 here. So ive been checking online and it seems the neutral setting for sharpness is actually 10 (out of 50). Not 0 lile rtings.com suggests?

Even on LGs main website they suggest a value for 10 for cinema.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone update to 3.21.09 on the CX? I read on Reddit and AVS that there is a decline in brightness in HDR game mode. Wondering how true and significant that is. I've heard it fixes black levels and some eARC issues (which I have been having a lot of with my Sonos the last month).

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone update to 3.21.09 on the CX? I read on Reddit and AVS that there is a decline in brightness in HDR game mode. Wondering how true and significant that is. I've heard it fixes black levels and some eARC issues (which I have been having a lot of with my Sonos the last month).
Yes, it visibly lowered the brightness.

It did fix my eARC issue and black levels seemed fix during Soul

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it visibly lowered the brightness.

It did fix my eARC issue and black levels seemed fix during Soul

was it worth it for you? kind of annoying we have to choose a lesser of two evils here. I actually haven't had the same raised black issues to a large extent that others are seeing to be honest. I notice it once in a while but not too distracting.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
If I understand correctly, HGIG gives a peak luminance of 800 nits.

So in Fenyx Rising, I should just let it at 800 as well ?

I can never get HDR in games to look great.

Oct 30, 2017
Dumb question, on Fortnite, the fps counter shows 120fps, is there any chance I'm viewing the game at 60hz instead of 120? I don't notice a big jump from 60 to 120 if not. LG B9.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
was it worth it for you? kind of annoying we have to choose a lesser of two evils here. I actually haven't had the same raised black issues to a large extent that others are seeing to be honest. I notice it once in a while but not too distracting.
For me, yes. I was losing my mind with the eARC issue where I had to turn off tv and the entire setup just to get sound back after watching something with Atmos

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Nope, 10 still adds edge enhancements -

Interesting. I'm on a B8 but I don't think that matters??. I'll set it back to zero then.
As recommended in the OP chart, 0 remains the real neutral value as Vincent stated, but going up to 10 noticeably improve sub-4K clarity by basically activating a sort of "free anti-aliasing" to lower res contents and without visible negative effects at all (no haloing around edges, no shimmering etc.).

Leaving Sharpness to 10 for everything is perfectly fine, especially if you're viewing mixed resolutions contents (and 99% of the time you are doing it).

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

This is kind of disappointing. Hopefully it is a bug seeing as it only affects HDR game mode. What were the black level issues that this fixes?

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Xbox HDR Calibration Setup for 2017 HDR Game Mode (Option 1b) or 2018-2020 HDR Game Mode when using DTM (no HGIG):
  • First screen / Min. Luminance: +3 ticks
  • Second screen / Max Luminance: +50 ticks
  • Third screen / Max Luminance: +50 ticks
the 50, is that max?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Xbox HDR Calibration Setup for 2017 HDR Game Mode (Option 1b) or 2018-2020 HDR Game Mode when using DTM (no HGIG):
  • First screen / Min. Luminance: +3 ticks
  • Second screen / Max Luminance: +50 ticks
  • Third screen / Max Luminance: +50 ticks
the 50, is that max?
No, it's +50 clicks to the right starting from 0 (all the way to the left).

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of disappointing. Hopefully it is a bug seeing as it only affects HDR game mode. What were the black level issues that this fixes?

I haven't done the update myself, but it was supposed to fix an update of raised black levels. A lot of people haven't been seeing completely black images in Dolby Vision. More of a very, very dark gray. It is generally "fixable" by reducing the brightness to 49 for me, but then you lose some details in darker images. This update was supposed to fix that. I will say if you watch TV with ambient light, you probably wouldn't have noticed the raised blacks as much. As least I don't. Only in a room with absolutely no lights do I start to notice raised blacks every now and then, but I usually have one light on somewhere whenever I watch TV.

I haven't had a huge issue with it personally, but considering part of the selling points of an OLED is inky black images, I can see why some would have an issue with it..

I would also hope this is something they fix since it only effects HDR game mode, but LG did something similar with the 2016 OLED's that killed the brightness in one of their HDR modes, and they never fixed it. I basically never updated my TV because of it. That issue was way more significant, though, just from the perspective that I really haven't been hearing a lot of complaints of this CX update relative to the 2016 issue. When the 2016 issue happened, the complaints pretty much happened right away and very loudly.

For me, yes. I was losing my mind with the eARC issue where I had to turn off tv and the entire setup just to get sound back after watching something with Atmos

I don't even watch anything in Atmos, and I still have been having eARC issues. At least once every 24 hours my TV reverts back to Internal Speaters. I have to turn my Apple TV off and on with my TV to get it working again. Sometimes 2-3 times before ARC re-engages. The issue started to appear only a month ago, and I have had the TV since August. It is very odd. Hopefully this update fixes my issue and not just this Atmos issue.

Last edited:

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Must say Ac Valhalla in some areas of the map look absolutely amazing with settings 1b and recommended Hdr settings and brightness to 4 instead of 5. Especially area Eurvicscire.
Have about 110 hours with Valhalla and will be soon done I hope. But Ubi did a good job with the level design in England and it shows with the correct picture settings.

Norway is unfortunatly very boring looking imo.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone playing Demon's Souls on the CX play around with in-game settings? Blacks in the game really aren't black, and it'd be nice to fix that without losing detail or ruining other aspects of the picture.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Anyone playing Demon's Souls on the CX play around with in-game settings? Blacks in the game really aren't black, and it'd be nice to fix that without losing detail or ruining other aspects of the picture.

I have the BX which has the same settings and I haven't had this issue. I have RGB/Black level on Auto/Auto, didn't modify Demon Souls in game settings. Using HGIG for tone mapping. I followed this system HDR calibration recommendation:

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying others aren't having a problem after the latest firmware, but it doesn't seem to affect my CX (which is on the latest). Using the XSX's HGiG calibration for max luminance as my tool it looks like my CX's peak brightness is still between 750-800 nits which is where it should be.
Interesting, good point on measuring through the calibration tools!

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any way within the CX itself to see how long I've been running it for?

I've seen lots of folks recommend at least 100 hours before playing with any of the pixel refresh stuff but I have no idea if I used the TV for over 100 hours yet.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Pretty sure it happened with the 7 series at some point too. I remember people complaining about HDR game mode being dim after a firmware update.
HDR Game Mode on Series 7 dramatically improved accuracy wise compared to Series 6 (basically switching from HDR Standard overly bright and clipped tone mapping to HDR Cinema, most accurate one).

At first glance it is dimmer, but for the best (and many people never realized this). After this it was only a matter of good/bad HDR implementation in games, and no more TV related.

The "downgrade" after a firmware upgrade only happened on Series 6 by the way (in reality upgrading the stock Series 6 HDR Game to stock Series 7's), then reverted back to Series 6 stock again with latest firmwares due to those outcries.

I feel very lucky to still have the HDR Cinema-based one on my B7, as using Option 1b in the OP with it provides objectively superior HDR results compared to Series 6 one and also on par with calibrated, newer sets (without DTM).

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Not saying others aren't having a problem after the latest firmware, but it doesn't seem to affect my CX (which is on the latest). Using the XSX's HGiG calibration for max luminance as my tool it looks like my CX's peak brightness is still between 750-800 nits which is where it should be.

Mine isn't affected either, guaranteed way to check is keep in game mode with HGiG/DTM off, then switch to cinema or filmmaker with DTM off also, then see if game is visibly dimmer.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
So my dad's B7 got a bit of burn-in (he has insurance so he got a replacement Samsung QLED), but since it didn't need to be sent back the B7 is now mine. I may eventually get it fixed since it's a bit annoying, but for now it's a fantastic upgrade over my previous set and the recommended settings all work brilliantly well!

I'm curious though (and it may have been asked before), but why is game mode used for webOS + Dolby Vision instead of cinema mode?

Also I take it the SDR calibrated settings are applicable for the Switch as well, unless people are using different settings for whatever reason?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
So my dad's B7 got a bit of burn-in (he has insurance so he got a replacement Samsung QLED), but since it didn't need to be sent back the B7 is now mine. I may eventually get it fixed since it's a bit annoying, but for now it's a fantastic upgrade over my previous set and the recommended settings all work brilliantly well!

I'm curious though (and it may have been asked before), but why is game mode used for webOS + Dolby Vision instead of cinema mode?

Also I take it the SDR calibrated settings are applicable for the Switch as well, unless people are using different settings for whatever reason?
DV Game is just even better than DV Cinema also for movies (as, once calibrated, it's as color accurate but brighter and with no highlights' clipping, while keeping great motion).

You can safely use SDR Game recommendation also for Switch ;)

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on 3:10:20.
Should I just stay there for now? Thanks for the info btw, I appreciate it!
this one is safe. The upcoming one should be avoided.
TPfzyT9.jpg