• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Last Of Us isn't a retro game

• Nah it ain't

Votes: 1,067 85.8%
  • Yeah not

Votes: 177 14.2%

• Total voters

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
PessimisticDisgustingHog-size_restricted.gif

No.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah it ain't is still a no because it's a triple negative with the question

It absolutely ain't lol

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
HDMI is the retro game cutoff. If the original system the game appeared on had HDMI, it's not a retro game.

CRT-era games are retro. This is official. Put it in the dictionary. Put it on wikipedia.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Retro was an apt description for NES-PlayStation when game design was still rapidly changing and evolving. The Last of Us is still a template for many AAA games today, it isn't old or of its time - it's incredibly modern.

I know this is probably a joke thread but consoles shouldn't just be considered retro by timespan. Do we consider MCU films from 8 years ago retro?

OP
OP
RetroRunner

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
HDMI is the retro game cutoff. If the original system the game appeared on had HDMI, it's not a retro game.

CRT-era games are retro. This is official. Put it in the dictionary. Put it on wikipedia.
Tell that to r/retrogaming

You're not meant to create a thread for every dumb thought that pops in your mind right?
Guess it's time to throw away the draft for my thread on the mating habits of Street Sharks

How is PS3 retro? It was discontinued in 2017...
Exactly, it's two generations old, and was originally released in the Bush administration

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Retro was an apt description for NES-PlayStation when game design was still rapidly changing and evolving. The Last of Us is still a template for many AAA games today, it isn't old or of its time - it's incredibly modern.

I know this is probably a joke thread but consoles shouldn't just be considered retro by timespan. Do we consider MCU films from 8 years ago retro?

First MCU movie is basically ancient now.

Spider-Man and Blade from the early 2000s? Pre-historic, really.

On topic - how this has caught traction in the past few days is just the dumbest thing.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not normally one to threadwhine, but seriously? Seriously?

Because it absolutely is a retro game! What a silly question.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should be 15-20 years to be considered retro tbh. It was different back in the day because every generation was a massive leap in capability. So 15-20 yrs unless major 2D to 3D style change in technology.

OP
OP
RetroRunner

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020

Did you miss Iron Man on TCM?

But I 100% agree with you, retro should refer to an era in gaming the same way modern refers to an era of art.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
You know what? The Last of Us 2 is a retro game. Any game that was released in 2020, or before that year, is retro.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
Nope! I agree that Batman Arkham Asylum is retro, cuz FF7 was retro in 2010. So, give it 4 more years and I will call TLOU 1 retro! We'll make the thread together! ^_^

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
No. I mean, for me retro games are also retro in the sense of - they represent old, retro gameplay style that's not popular anymore apart from indie games maybe. TLOU is a modern game.