• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
So, the UK's CMO says that he hasn't read the report on the Japanese patient that seems to have become re-infected. That's great to know.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest, we are not going to get to the end of this week without further steps needing to be taken again.

This is a long haul thing. 2020 is done.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
- Avoid non-essential contact
- WFH where possible

Sup, boss. My laptop is here. I'm ready to go. What's the betting I'll be in work tomorrow?

Bullshit.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are obsessed because we're all being advised to minimise contact in confined spaces, but what's the point when most households are sending 1+ into the perfect petri dish five days a week?

Schools tend to be a consistent group of people, compared to going to social gatherings, is the difference.

Ferrasvansen

Oct 25, 2017
Azeroth(Scotland)
People are obsessed about schools. And as soon as they shut them. They will become obsessed about saying why did you shut them
Too fucking right I'm obsessed about schools, I've three ppl living in my house with serious conditions including one who is very ill with cystic fibrosis, we also have my 13 year old here who goes to the busiest school in Scotland, what are we supposed to do?

Vennt

Oct 27, 2017
I just informed the venue I work at that following the governments advice I will no longer be available to work until further notice (I'm a sound engineer) expecting pushback and a hit to my reputation / future work from them, their response was heartening "It's OK, We're closing, See you when things are better", So voluntary or not, some places are going to close and take this seriously. I have enough savings for a month or two max without work but it won't last long :/

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
universities seem to be closing at a rapid pace. My son's closes tomorrow for face to face lectures - all lectures online and I assume some access to support staff online? Campus remains open which seems odd, but he'll be coming home.

No idea what happens if this extends beyond Easter (which seems likely) - will they cancel the year? Grant free passes for the year? Online isn't a great way to learn and you lose contact hours. He's a first year so not a major thing - much worse if you're trying to graduate this year.

My daughter does have GCSEs this year - god knows what'll happen there

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Completely contradictory that they're taking the appropriate measures while keeping schools open "for many reasons".

What's even the point of any other measures.

It is not like we don't already have examples of China, Italy and now Spain and France.

We're following Iran's no lockdown instead.

I'm feeling feeverish just listening to this. They even repeated the no evidence of increased transmission in mass gatherings :S

He keeps waving his had showing a curve while knowing the NHS is not prepared and things should have started earlier...claiming they want to prevent as many deaths as possible... and still schools remain open.

Last edited:

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
This is a relief in some ways and utterly weird in others. No enforcement means all of this is optional? My only hope is they are waiting to pass legislation to make it mandatory tomorrow?

And not closing schools makes no sense. Its a perfect way to spread it between families who are working at home and distancing themselves.

Who looks after the kids ? There's 12 million children in the UK.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Just listen to this vapid cunt. No offense to the English but you twats really need to have a think as a nation about the utter incompetents you keep electing.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
universities seem to be closing at a rapid pace. My son's closes tomorrow for face to face lectures - all lectures online and I assume some access to support staff online? Campus remains open which seems odd, but he'll be coming home.

No idea what happens if this extends beyond Easter (which seems likely) - will they cancel the year? Grant free passes for the year? Online isn't a great way to learn and you lose contact hours. He's a first year so not a major thing - much worse if you're trying to graduate this year.

My daughter does have GCSEs this year - god knows what'll happen there
To be honest a lot of undergraduate courses now have quite a heavy emphasis on lectures (can be done online) and independent study (eLibraries were becoming more prominent when I left in 2014 so should be even bigger now), so depending on the course your son could be okay.

I have no idea what will happen with GCSEs: this is unprecedented after all.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory commentary on a sensitive topic
Too fucking right I'm obsessed about schools, I've three ppl living in my house with serious conditions including one who is very ill with cystic fibrosis, we also have my 13 year old here who goes to the busiest school in Scotland, what are we supposed to do?

Take some personal responsibility ?

In your case do you really need the government to hand hold you through keeping you and yours safe ?

Slair

Oct 27, 2017
With this new news I don't know what I, specifically, should be doing. My girlfriend is 33 weeks pregnant (and has bad asthma) so she should limiting her exposure to other people for the next 12 weeks, but if I keep going to work, which is in a city centre in a 500+ person office building, I feel like I'm undermining the efforts to keep her safe. I'll end up being her link.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

In your case do you really need the government to hand hold you through keeping you and yours safe ?

I'm extremely eager to hear how you suggest keeping children in schools while also not infecting the people back at their home.

Keep in mind it is literally illegal to not send your child to school unless they're registered for homeschooling and it has financial penalties or worse.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
With this new news I don't know what I, specifically, should be doing. My girlfriend is 33 weeks pregnant (and has bad asthma) so she should limiting her exposure to other people for the next 12 weeks, but if I keep going to work, which is in a city centre in a 500+ person office building, I feel like I'm undermining the efforts to keep her safe. I'll end up being her link.

You should be working from home.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

If you knew that governments fine parents who keep their children out of education I don't even know why you'd ask this question. And they've not announced any measures to prevent that, or recommended parents take students out if they want, so maybe take some responsibility for your own education.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
When they say they advise against pubs/clubs should be avoided... it seems they won't be enforcing closures. Just advising against?

Most likely so the government can't be pressured into bailing out local businesses and taking accountability of what will likely be thousands of businesses capitulating.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most likely so the government can't be pressured into bailing out local businesses and taking accountability of what will likely be thousands of businesses capitulating.

Yup.

Even if they do table up a 0 interest free loan, yeah right or whatever scrap they have in mind, they'll probably wait a whole month of underperforming business that nobody will get back.

Jan 13, 2020
I've just got back to work after two weeks' leave to find out that two guys from our office - 23 and 35 - died last week. They don't know if it's Coronavirus yet, but the timing seems incredibly coincidental.

The first dude developed sepsis and then had a heart attack. The other died in his sleep.

My job could quite easily be done from home, but the company isn't taking any steps to let us do so. In fact, there's some sort of big project starting tomorrow that means they've brought an extra 30 people into the office and are asking us all to work overtime over the next few weeks! How irresponsible can you be?!

I get full sick pay and I'm asthmatic. I don't currently have symptoms, but I'm thinking I might just self-isolate anyway. What would my rights be there? Can I even do that? No company is worth fucking dying for, man.

Sponged

Oct 29, 2017
I've always been pretty neutral when it comes too the government but this has pushed me over the edge. There will be no small/local businesses left by summer is this shambles continues. Advising against going to pubs instead of shutting them so they don't have to bail them out. Not locking down anything or helping anyone, i work for a small plumbing firm, there's only 3 of us plus the boss, if we get sick he's screwed, if I get sick I'm on SSP and were screwed with the mortgage. Why we aren't locking down when every other country infected badly in Europe is is beyond me.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, not everyone?

- The peak of the epidemic is a few weeks away. London is a few weeks ahead of the rest of the country.
- Stay at home for 14 days if you have the symptoms.
- Stop all unnecessary travel avoiding all social venues, pubs, clubs, cinemas etc for people over 70, pregnant women, underlying heath conditions
- From this weekend, those with severe underlying health conditions will have to "shield themselves" for 12 weeks.
- Mass gatherings "we are now moving emphatically away from"

Also, what's the definition of social contact?

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
If you knew that governments fine parents who keep their children out of education I don't even know why you'd ask this question. And they've not announced any measures to prevent that, or recommended parents take students out if they want, so maybe take some responsibility for your own education.

I'm extremely eager to hear how you suggest keeping children in schools while also not infecting the people back at their home.

Keep in mind it is literally illegal to not send your child to school unless they're registered for homeschooling and it has financial penalties or worse.

]

They're in Scotland, I'm sure you 2 aye fully aware that there are no such criminal or financial penalties for such actions.

If they're concerned about 3 people being high risk in the household then the decision is theirs to make, they don't need Boris to tell them what to do

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017

In the questions they clarified it is still 7 days from symptoms as an individual, 14 days as a household.

I imagine that therefore means if you live with one other person, and you both got mild symptoms on the same day, then it still means isolate for 7 days.

(I expect guidance will have changed within a week anyway, so perhaps mute anyway).

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, not everyone?

- The peak of the epidemic is a few weeks away. London is a few weeks ahead of the rest of the country.
- Stop all unnecessary travel avoiding all social venues, pubs, clubs, cinemas etc for people over 70, pregnant women, underlying heath conditions
- From this weekend, those with severe underlying health conditions will have to "shield themselves" for 12 weeks.
- Mass gatherings "we are now moving emphatically away from"

Also, what's the definition of social contact?

He said everyone WFH and avoid contact.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Q: Will you take more action to help low-income households. Statutory sick pay is less than £100 a week?

Johnson claims he is doing a lot already. The living wage is being lifted by a huge amount.

He says no one should be penalised for doing the right thing.

I hope he dies screaming, I really do.

I work in local government, and we got told today that if we're 'required' to self isolate we'll get full pay. Required being the operative word. Two weeks of self isolation on SSP means I don't pay rent, meaning I'm homeless, so fuck that.

Oct 26, 2017
Excellent, so I have to shield myself for 3 months because the government can't be fucked to do anything.
I'm wondering how long until schools just follow the WHO and ignore the government. Our uni got an angry letter from the government cause they ignored their shit instructions

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
Well the latest announcement has made me decide not to go to London for work.

This was going to me my most enjoyable week in a while. Working in Notting hill, meeting my gf down there for a show, Saint Patrick's day with my friends, and then on to Brighton for a last lads day out before his baby comes.

Covid yr a cunt m8

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
twitter.com

RT UK on Twitter

“Benidorm + Coronavirus = Managerial mayhem! As Spain becomes the fourth most infected nation in the world… Some Brits are doing their best to avoid virus precautions and carry on with their holiday as normal. https://t.co/9r79Iz3LjZ”

Brits abroad oi oi

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm a civil servant and I'm due to get a laptop this week. If Boris is saying to WFH, shouldn't the civil service of all things be setting the example?

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of social distancing if the kids are in school and most of us still have to go to work?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
What it all boils down to is that our NHS is not ready. We need to buy time for the NHS. The infection is going to spread and numbers go up exponentially no matter what we do now.

Households staying at home for 2 weeks by itself is not enough to dampen that - you're infectious before and after being symptomatic. Nothing is mandated. No financial compensation has been mentioned. Schools open as well as non-essential businesses.

It's fuck all being done. NHS will crumble because of it.

What's the point of social distancing if the kids are in school and most of us still have to go to work?

There's no point.