• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How will you use the proposed $1000 stimulus check

• Mostly/all bills

Votes: 582 41.7%
  • Mostly/all food

Votes: 176 12.6%
  • Save it/invest it

Votes: 625 44.7%
  • Personal items (clothing, jewelry, etc.)

Votes: 33 2.4%
  • Mostly/all entertainment (games/movies/etc)

Votes: 166 11.9%
  • Household goods

Votes: 39 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 55 3.9%

• Total voters

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can't with this thread so I'll back out. I'll leave it at this - those who receive a check and don't need it should donate the money. If you don't you should honestly be ashamed of yourself.
Just admit you dont understand the point of a economic stimulus check and we can move on to a Stimulus 101 thread that will explain to everyone that thinks like you do. Right?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm directing this at everyone who doesn't need it. If you don't need it you should donate it to someone or place that does, not buy fucking videogames. I can't believe I have to say this. Y'all have no empathy.
Bruh, as someone who's actually working in healthcare during this, who's placing numerous orders with the PO "COVID19" who's seeing all these emails regarding this, get out of here with this mess. Let alone people using their checks to help businesses who are heavily impacted by this.

I'll be damned to hear someone say I don't deserve a check when I'm busting my ass to help people during this just because I don't really "need it" simply because I'm not out of a job.

What's wrong with you people?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I can't with this thread so I'll back out. I'll leave it at this - those who receive a check and don't need it should donate the money. If you don't you should honestly be ashamed of yourself.

The only person who should be ashamed of anything is you, demanding that people do what you want them to do.

If I get any, I'm putting it towards my car lease payment, which goes directly to VW.

Why, because I'm fucked if my car gets repossessed.

People are going to do what they want to do, its their stimulus check.

If someone wants to buy games with it at Gamestop, that's well within their right.

And that does stimulate the economy because it helps to pay the paycheck for the person working there.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Save it.

Not "Invest it."

But it's going into our short term savings incase we need it in the upcoming months. My job is pretty safe, my wife is a teacher so her job *should* be safe unless the city pulls some fuckery which I doubt they will the union would go ballistic, but I expect things are going to get tight and I'm in full on 'hunker down' mode.

We took our daughter out of daycare and expect it to close soon, but what kinda blows is that we still have to make our daycare payments even if it's not open. What's also shittier is ... I'm fairly certain that the employees don't get paid if they get sick or miss days. I *think* if the daycare closes they still get some pay... but I dunno. Pisses me off. Our daycare teachers are great, but I also know a lot are low income. We bought a couple weeks worth of groceries for one of the teachers because she's in a tight spot and has 3 kids herself, lives paycheck to paycheck, and she was scared.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Hold on to in case I need it for the future. Me and my husband are fine for now, but there is no saying that won't change down the line. May also pass some on to family if they get in a bad place.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna divide it in 3. 1/3 for bills, 1/3 for saving, 1/3 for spending money.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Like all other income it would go into a bank account and not be directly linked to any particular spending

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
If you're doing fine financially it might not be bad idea to give it to someone who needs it, like a friend. A lot of people are losing their jobs.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
It will be going right to my bills since I have been able to bring my bills down to way under $1,000/month after paying down most of my debts over the last year. I just want to survive and not blow that money on irresponsible and dumb shit.

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
My girlfriend is much more likely to lose her job than me, so I will probably hold onto it and use it for her bills or anything else she might need.

Plan B is to buy a power rack and start getting weight equipment to put in my garage.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I originally voted food / investing, but I'm most likely going to donate an enormous chunk of it to animal shelters in Chicago, and spend the rest on local businesses through curbside pickups and gift cards.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously getting it in April means it'll just pay rent or my credit card that month, but the spirit of getting $1,000 means it'll buy a PS5. Maybe Nioh 2 while we're here.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Roomie and I want to move. So if we don't lose any money during this whole thing (I'm guaranteed pay if we quarantine, not sure about her yet) we are going to put it towards the deposit on the new place.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'll take not knowing what you're talking about for 400 Alex.

Oct 25, 2017
Have a small medical bill coming up eventually and the 1k would just about cover it. Would much rather use that money on that and keep my savings as my savings.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
It'll go in the bank. Might make me a little more reckless with my spending (eg buying Nioh 2 instead of waiting for it to go on sale), but it'd generate little additional spending from me. Even what I do spend would be in part motivated by the sense that it's my civic duty to use it in some sort of economy-boosting way.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Is it bad to say I'm going to pay off a bank credit line with it? Clearing that is one less monthly worry even though the interest rate is minimal and it's only $25 a month. It's still $25 a month I won't have to spend on nothingness.

Oct 28, 2017
Is it bad to say I'm going to pay off a bank credit line with it? Clearing that is one less monthly worry even though the interest rate is minimal and it's only $25 a month. It's still $25 a month I won't have to spend on nothingness.

That's the best thing you could do with the money. Means more money later for you to spend on stuff that isnt interest.

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to guess, I'm high up enough that I wouldn't see that amount, but after thinking about it I might just give it to my sister. I'd like to replace my dishwasher, but priorities.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Frankly "save it" but here's what I mean. Right now we both have our jobs and will likely at least have the biggest income streams possibly even grow in this situation.

However, I am looking at the possibility of parents, siblings, and good friends losing their jobs and really struggling. As long as we can maintain some level of stability I can help them and will as much as possible. We have extra bedrooms, I'll open them up. We have cars, I'll give people rides. I'll do what I can.

This is a chaotic time however, and I don't blame people, even people with decent money, wanting to save it. I remember the 2008 crisis and being just out of school. It was scary, but I had very little to worry about except myself and a whole future ahead of me. Now being in my 30s I have debts I need to pay, savings I'm trying to make sure I have, people that I take care of, aging parents, etc. The impact is heightened.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I know it sounds selfish, but how we are right now with money and everything, I can put it right towards getting a new PC.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
My wife has been in the hospital since February 3rd. So naturally all of our checks will be going to that along with what we get back from taxes

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I definitely do not need it. I'll likely be sending it to my mother and sister if we get any at all.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
wow guys I think I'm already getting my $1,000 payout!
5UBOjO1.png

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
As of now, my job looks secure. That might not stay that way, but hopefully.

If so, this money goes straight into savings as a "just in case". If/when the economy starts to inevitably improve in the coming months and I'm no longer entertaining the thought of potentially losing my job, I'll probably try to get into the stock market for the first time.

Lexad

"This guy are sick"
Nov 4, 2017
Save it for now with rumors of furlough at my company. Thankfully my student loans are in deferment because I went back to school so all of my paychecks are going into savings right now. Then when this hopefully blows over, put that money into my student loans.