• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you feel the PS5 could become Sony's best selling console?

• Yes

Votes: 461 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,310 62.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 330 15.7%

• Total voters

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Gaming has gotten more popular with more age groups I guess, which could sell more consoles logically if you cater to a wide market.

But the PS2 is hard to beat though. Singstar was super popular, at least in Europe. Even if you didn't play any games people owned one either for that or as a DVD player.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
PS4 is their 2nd most successful console ever.

And I don't even think that will reach the PS2s insane numbers.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not likely, unless the market expands significantly.

also what you're really asking is can the Ps5 become the best selling console of all time, which isn't very likely.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It could be the fastest selling PlayStation ever by a considerable margin, but the PS2 kept performing well years into the PS3 due to the lackluster launch, so Sony would probably not want to repeat that slow transition again.

It wasn't the "lackluster launch" that was responsible for that, it's just the business model. The PS1 sold around 30 million units after the PS2 hit shelves, and that was not a lackluster launch AT ALL.

If the PS4 "only" sells as well as the PS1 did after the PS2 hit shelves (which would be ridiculous, for a lot of reasons) it breaks the PS2 record easily.

Ctalkeb

Apr 12, 2020
PS2 had a ridiculous post-PS3 lifespan for casual gaming that I simply don't think can be replicated when mobile has largely taken over that market.

My guess is PS4 level or slightly better, but may also be slightly worse, depending on XSX appeal in the US/UK.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I suspect it will be around PS4 level of sales which will be pretty damn impressive considering stronger competition. I still think both will be just shy of the PS2.

What's crazy is that the PS4 is still tracking above PS2 launched aligned, is it not? I wouldn't be surprised at another price drop this year. It's way overdue for one!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I suspect it will be around PS4 level of sales which will be pretty damn impressive considering stronger competition. I still think both will be just shy of the PS2.

What's crazy is that the PS4 is still tracking above PS2 launched aligned, is it not? I wouldn't be surprised at another price drop this year. It's way overdue for one!

It is outselling the PS2 launch aligned, and is much more expensive than the PS2 was at this point in time. I'm pretty sure the PS2 was $129 at this point in it's lifespan. I can't find a PS4 online new for less than $279 right now and most places are $299.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
If PS5 is the best seeling PlayStation console... so Sony is unstopable in Entertainement Video Game;

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 hit 100m units faster than the PS2 did- and this was before COVID started bumping up sales in the US. The PS4 will definitely pass the PS2 at this point. PS5 probably will.
The COVID bump ended for PS4 in May and was down YoY in June. PS4 isn't outselling PS2. Sony has already slowed down production of the console significantly.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 has a better chance. MS (TV TV TV) and Nintendo (Wii U) were not a big competition.

Now, the Series X is more powerful and has good services, Nintendo has Switch and there are more other contenders (streaming, mobile is getting bigger).

Getting into China and India will stay a dream for next gen.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The COVID bump ended for PS4 in May and was down YoY in June. PS4 isn't outselling PS2. Sony has already slowed down production of the console significantly.

COVID is still going on, my guy. Sony had huge releases for the PS4 on June 19 (TLOU2) and July (GOT) and there is another 1200 stimulus payment coming by next month.

The PS4 is also STILL retailing at $299. Sony can price drop it whenever they want to boost sales, but they have no reason to with it selling the way it is.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Not beating PS2, but Im curious of these factors:

-Xbox crossover. How many Xbox fans are interested in the missed PS4 exclusives?
-No Xbox console exclusives. How many want to switch to PC + PS5 with games like Halo coming to PC?
-How competitive will Lockhart be?
-PS5 price

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
COVID is still going on, my guy. Sony had huge releases for the PS4 on June 19 (TLOU2) and July (GOT) and there is another 1200 stimulus payment coming by next month.

The PS4 is also STILL retailing at $299. Sony can price drop it whenever they want to boost sales, but they have no reason to with it selling the way it is.
Yeah, Covid is still going on. And PS4 sold less in June than it did last year. PS4 will not surpass PS2. There's a good chance it will be down YoY for the remainder of 2020. The Covid bump for PS4 ended after April (in terms of hardware units, which is what is being discussed).

Also, there isn't a new stimulus check coming anytime soon. Negotiations have collapsed in Congress.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't see it.

The competition from Microsoft and Nintendo is so much better this time around and its launching in an extremely uncertain period of time.

They hype for the PS4 was on another level when it launched well on the flipside WiiU was DOA and Xbox was in self destruct mode.

I think Sony has done a good job but so have the other guys and I just don't see the same level of excitement for these new consoles.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think that this generations tech will give it a lot of legs so possible but not until there is a slim or two. I think they will be slow out the gate for a couple of years.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I don't see PS5 coming anywhere near PS2 numbers (155+ million sold). I think it could easily outside PS3 and do at least PS1 numbers (102 million).

Lets see out it does compared to PS4.

This time, Microsoft isn't going to have a disastrous start with weak hardware.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile Nintendo brought a DOA Wii U as contender and Microsoft completely botched the XB1. Sony had the PS4 hitting right with consumers on almost every note (pricing, content, services).

Interesting to see how a botched launch from Sony's 2 primary competitors impacts the PS5 since there's so much inertia going from gen to gen.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see them hitting or dwarfing PS2's sales.

PS2 was too much 'perfect storm', with Sega flailing out of market with Nintendo dropping the ball on the back-end of a major slump, Xbox being the freshfaced kid who still doesn't know how to reach all of it's audience and then them basically having free-reign with tons of exclusive 3rd party games and massive launch advantage over both Xbox and Gamecube at the time. I don't think that can be replicated again, they kinda had competition but they were a world away by the time their competition started the race.

I preferred Xbox and Gamecube at the time but that was basically a bloodbath.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Too early to tell.

Hard to say what effect Covid will have. Games have tended to survive well through recessions, but this is a much larger one than they've ever gone through.

Price will be a major factor, especially relative to the competition. PS2 was sold incredibly cheaply towards the end. But the PS4 has gotten ridiculously close considering it's price tag. So on the one hand it's pretty easy to dismiss the possibility that it can't happen because the PS2 was a special case. But the PS4 also managed to be a special case. How many other consoles have stayed $200 and above and still sold 100 million? Usually the system is closer to $300.

On the point of competition. It's hard to say how much it'll matter. It's been a consistent theme for a while that PC or mobile or streaming was eventually going to take out the consoles. And thus far, consoles haven't gone anywhere, and theyre largely doing better than ever.

So it's all hard to say.

But it seems Sony is pushing hard to make their follow-up bigger.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah, Covid is still going on. And PS4 sold less in June than it did last year. PS4 will not surpass PS2. There's a good chance it will be down YoY for the remainder of 2020. The Covid bump for PS4 ended after April (in terms of hardware units, which is what is being discussed).

Also, there isn't a new stimulus check coming anytime soon. Negotiations have collapsed in Congress.

COVID is still going on in that there is a very, very high chance of a bunch of the US going back into lockdown before the year is up. This isn't over by a long shot, even if vacationing americans pretend that it is. COVID and its effects on the economy have not ended. At all.

PS4's June sales don't fully reflect the releases of TLOU2 or Ghost of Tsushima.

PS4 will easily pass PS2. It's already tracking past it LTD at FAR higher price points, and Sony will keep it on the market longer than the PS2 as the PS4 is substantially more profitable for them than the PS2 was. Again, if the PS4 *only* sells as well as the PS1 did after the PS2 launch, it breaks the PS2's record easily.

And yes, there is a new stimulus package coming. The white house and congress both agreed on that portion of the bill. The only disagreement came from additional aid to state and local municipalities, and the exact amount of additional unemployment. Those get worked out and a new bill gets passed. This came from Treasury Secretary Mnuchin, this morning.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt it. It's probably going to be expensive, There's diminishing returns on new generations in terms of graphical leaps, it's weaker than the competition (I think?) and Covid is leading to a recession. Also Xbox while they haven't impressed me with their games so far aren't going to fuck themselves before they're out the gate like they did last gen.

I think it''ll do great, "win" the generation in terms of console sales but I'd be flabbergasted if it sold more than PS2 or PS4.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
No it seems unlikely, the competition is stiffer from all sides compared to both PS4 gen and PS2 gen.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Under the right circumstances, anything is possible. However as things stand right now, I imagine it'll do incredibly great, definitely better than PS3 and PS1, but I'm not sure if it'll surpass the PS2, no.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Don't think so, no. PS2 won't be beat for a very long time by any home console. The tail end was just to ridiculous.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I wonder if it would be possible for them to bring the PS5's price down considerably in the next 5-7 years because there are now basically no moving/mechanical parts in the Digital Edition (unlike the PS4).

It's a complete solid state machine that I assume they'd be able to build rather cheaply once the tech inside isn't so cutting edge.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Streaming is going to destroy home consoles, much like mobile gaming killed the sales of the PS4. It's likely that when this console fails, Sony will go to a handheld only streaming device, and that's when they'll take the market back.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I'd put a cheeky £10 bet it would be one of the lowest by a small amount, at least over 5-6 years.

Expensive system price, MS offering more value for people and taking some market share back and economic uncertainty might mean it's like the PS3.

Perhaps what could make it sell and also the Xbox is how fast loading games will be. Once people get wind and see it they will be amazed and feel they have to upgrade soon. The old systems are very cumbersome and we could see some good price drops 2-3 years in.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
No. Because between Switch and Switch's successor, Nintendo will be taking a big chunk of the younger/family audience that would otherwise have had a PlayStation by default. Although we won't see the effects of that until a couple of years in to the lifecycle as they aren't early adopters. And because cloud gaming will indeed become a thing in the next couple of years. And Xbox will certainly be stronger than it was this gen, especially with the value of Game Pass.

I was certain PS5 would be the fastest to 10m though, albeit covid has put a dampener on that prediction. Depends on the price.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see it outclassing the PS2, unless its gonna sell it dirt cheap

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4's June sales don't fully reflect the releases of TLOU2 or Ghost of Tsushima.
July's PS4 sales will be lower than June's, likely significantly. And every month for the remainder of 2020 will be down YoY for both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The only hardware currently up YoY on a month-by-month basis at this time is Nintendo Switch. And there's a reasonable chance that's not going to hold either.

Guess I was referring to market share.

I had a feeling that PS4 was a WAY more profitable venture so I guess it was technically more successful lol.
Yeah, from a profitability standpoint, PS4 is absolutely Sony's most successful hardware.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
July's PS4 sales will be lower than June's, likely significantly. And every month for the remainder of 2020 will be down for both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The only hardware currently up YoY on a month-by-month basis at this time is Nintendo Switch. And there's a reasonable chance that's not going to hold either.

So just so we're clear, your assertion is that the back to back releases of the largest Sony releases in PS4 history will have no effect on console sales?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Not exactly bold, but no. The PS2 just had a thing going on for it for such a long time and I cant see it being passed, ever.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
So just so we're clear, your assertion is that the back to back releases of the largest Sony releases in PS4 history will have no effect on console sales?

Based on Sony's forecast it seems quite likely this is going to be the case. Even if there was huge demand, Sony wont manufacture that many more consoles.
PS5 is definately the full focus for Sony going forward.