Do you feel the PS5 could become Sony's best selling console?

• Yes

Votes: 461 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,310 62.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 330 15.7%

• Total voters

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I think the PS2 is basically impossible to topple.

Yeah, Switch might do it but that's the only console with a real chance thanks to right time and place of this pandemic and people buying m

The magic of a cheap dvd player that also played games was the perfect storm of right time and place that can't be replicated.

The better question for PS5 is will it outsell PS4

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not unless the price drops quickly and sub $200. The PS2 received regular price drops and spent much of its like at $149, or lower.

Last edited:

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I doubt it'll beat PS4 tbh. The competition from Microsoft should be a lot stronger this time around. PS4/XBO generation it was a no-brainer to go PS4 for many people.

Descendant

Fallen Guardian
Nov 2, 2017
Whether it reaches the 155+ million units or not...it will end up making more money than the PS2 in the end.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it will no. Too many people globally are not in a position to buy luxury products at the moment due to unemployment or reduced hours and I know many friends interested in upgrading but are holding off plans till next year when work is expected to slowly pick up.

Also with PS5 likely to cost more at launch than PS4 in the middle of the worst economic crisis in centuries, does not bode well for shattering records IMO

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
too many variables to consider. if the price is like 600 bucks no way. the current recession will hurt it for years to come, covid could continue to mess with logistics. It doesn't seem likely to even match ps4 numbers honestly.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has so much stacked against it, global recession, high starting price, competition from all sectors of gaming, its ugly as hell, etc. I just don't see how it's possible.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Considering we are at a point where we don't even know the PRICE of the console yet, threads like these really come across like "Poll: Is Sony the best, or the BESTEST best?" at worst, and incredibly premature at best.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
PS2 started at 300 (yes, I know inflation, but perception matters) and hit it stride at 199.

However, Sony has more revenue due to PS+ subs.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
If they can get the price to ps2 levels then maybe. Otherwise it's just going to do slightly better than ps4.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
No, because of Covid-19. We are going to be heading in a period of great economic hardship.

I think the pandemic will help console sales, as long as people are looking for forms of entertainment that don't require them to leave their home.

Discretionary spending does not stop entirely during recessions. If you can't spend on bars, eating out, traveling, going to the movies, concerts, Starbucks, etc. suddenly the cost of the console doesn't look so bad.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting it to be the #2 best-selling PlayStation console.

Great first-party software in the first year, marketing deals like in PS2 days, sequels to some of the biggest games of the current gen and them innovations. All of this ensures beating PS4, but PS2 was just monstrous in its appeal!

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I don't think it'll beat ps4 or ps2 but if this recession hits like 2008, then maybe the 10 year gen might put it over

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Price might be against them with next gen consoles being high specs machines but if they don't waste their momentum going into next gen, it could still be one of the best selling PlayStation consoles.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
I think a lot people forget/ are too young to remember just how massive and ubiquitous the PS2 was. This question is like asking "will the PS5 outsell microwaves?" It's just not even in the same league.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even think it'll necessarily beat the PS4, albeit I do think it will be very close, let alone the PS2

Still, that would put it above 100 million units, which is an absurd success either way

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends what the world looks like with Covid. Could be gaming becomes the major form of entertainment if we still can't gather in groups larger than 10 in 2022.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
PS2 and PS4 sold shitloads.
It's going to be more expensive than those 2
It's going to come out during an economic recession
No, I don't think it will be the best selling console for Sony

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the responses 😃
I'm curious how perceptions may change, if at all once the prices are revealed, hopefully later this month.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the pricing, if it starts at 399 yes. If it's more expensive probably no.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell, I did not know they were producing PS2's until the end of 2012.

I believe the PS4 could catch the PS2 if it got the same treatment. Hard to compete with 12 years of sales.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I feel like they're trying to go all in this gen and they're certainly in a better position compared to PS3->PS4 (before that E3), but who knows, the pandemic is certainly going to make a huge impact.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS2 was selling well into PS3's lifecycle.

So if PS6 is a total failure and PS5 is a big success AND stays in production long after next gen then it's totally possible.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
- Economic slump due to a global pandemic, check.
- Will be more expensive than the last console, check.
- Has to compete with "Pro" consoles they released mid gen, check.

Yeah, no, I don't see it happening, at least not the first half of this gen. If by some miracle the economy recovers by then and the price of the PS5 comes down heavily, and streaming platforms still haven't taken off, and the gen runs longer than this gen to give it more time to build up numbers, then maybe?

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like these consoles are going to be very expensive and released during a recession, and at a time when people can play games without the need for a console. It's going to be a hard sell, but I think it will do very well with enthusiasts.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
No and I not even sure if is going to do as well as the PS4.

Switch is the only one who has a chance to beat the PS2 but I think it would need a "Switch Pro" to help it.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think the PS2 is basically impossible to topple.

PS2 is out of range imo, because the competition is bigger this time around and unlike PS4 gen Nintendo and Xbox don't seem to mess up. Xbox One was a pr nightmare at the start and Wii U simply not attractive. This gen Xbox is doing better and has more studios to compete with Series X, while the Switch has very strong momentum.

I think the PS5 will sell really good and maybe beat PS4, but I think PS2 will still be king.

The PS4 hit 100m units faster than the PS2 did- and this was before COVID started bumping up sales in the US. The PS4 will definitely pass the PS2 at this point. PS5 probably will.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm still of the opinion that the PS4 also can beat the PS2 with a super slim and a nice price cut. But that's another discussion entirely.
It can't, even with a price cut. PS2 still received new, top-of-the-line software for years after PS3's launch, including a number of big games from Sony themselves (God of War 2 released the year after PS3 released). PS4 will receive a year or two of cross-gen software and that'll be the end of it. A price cut will come far too late to make any sort of significant impact.