Do you feel the PS5 could become Sony's best selling console?

• Yes

Votes: 461 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,310 62.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 330 15.7%

• Total voters

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
PS2 is out of range imo, because the competition is bigger this time around and unlike PS4 gen Nintendo and Xbox don't seem to mess up. Xbox One was a pr nightmare at the start and Wii U simply not attractive. This gen Xbox is doing better and has more studios to compete with Series X, while the Switch has very strong momentum.

I think the PS5 will sell really good and maybe beat PS4, but I think PS2 will still be king.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
It could be the fastest selling PlayStation ever by a considerable margin, but the PS2 kept performing well years into the PS3 due to the lackluster launch, so Sony would probably not want to repeat that slow transition again.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Lmao how in the hell is anyone saying yes or undecided? It will likely not even top the ps4.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The PS2 launched for $299 and doubled as a DVD player. It's a benchmark that's pretty much impossible to hit.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ain't no way it's beating PS2. That's categorial.

It might not even beat PS4, though we need to see all the cards from both MS and Sony, first.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Not sure if it can even beat the PS4. PC gaming is getting more and more popular, and Xbox isn't likely to completely botch their launch this time around.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My gut feeling is that it will be their 3rd best selling after PS2/4.
I think PS4 has an outside shot of coming out on top if they keep up production and aggressively cut the price though.

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
Hmmm I don't think so.

tenor.gif

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I don't think it can top PS2, and all metrics right now are just that it will have a really great launch and perhaps get to 25-30M units pretty quickly. There's too many uncertainties after that IMO. Covid-19 did change things. If anything, Sony might reconsider PS4 being the main driver of sales after this year and launching a cheap discless $150 PS4 for everyone to jump into gaming cheaply.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's highly unlikely that any console outsells the PS2. I think it'll do well, though. Comparable to current gen.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it would beat the PS4 since it'll probably cost more and face more competition

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a chance, Microsoft and Nintendo are competitive out of the gate this time. PS4 could have been their best selling ever but they refuse to price drop it to a mass market level.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely not, nothing will touch PS2.

Sony doesn't drop the price as much as before, just look at PS3/4.

Also there's a recession incoming.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- We got word from Sony's part supplier partners recently that they were projecting 120 to 180 million units in the next 5 years for the PS5. Whether this figure includes parts for PS Now servers is unknown.
This means capacity. It scales up and down based on actual demand. See: any time Apple have reduced the number of iPhones. These consoles wont peak in sales until we are out of a recession and theres a vaccination available.
Exam
uk.reuters.com

Reuters | Breaking International News & Views

Find latest news from every corner of the globe at Reuters.com, your online source for breaking international news coverage.

when they tout they can make up to 180m its a way for the production line to promote their abilities, nothing more.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No chance, price and lifecycles won't allow it to touch PS2. If I had to guess based on what's known now I'd say sales fall between PS1 and PS4 but that could always change.

Likewise based on what's currently known I bet XSX/XSS falls between One and 360. Switch trajectory looks like an EOL somewhere between GB and DS (though closer to GB) so Gen 9 may actually end up with some big growth over Gen 8 (minus dedicated handhelds).

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It's more likely to be the worst selling one or somewhere between PS3 and PS1. Nintendo is eating their lunch pretty badly and no one seems to acknowledge it.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
No way. PS5 is going to be facing stiffer competition than PS2 or PS4 did as Nintendo is doing gangbusters currently and Microsoft is recovering nicely from XBO. Additionally, it will probably cost more than Sony's previously successful consoles.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Covid-19 and the linked recession, more competition, and likely price all leads to a 'No' so far.

We can discuss which one of those factors will be most significant.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
They are launching the console into the greatest economic shock in 90-years. So it's a pretty easy no.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
In a generation where streaming services will push to become the Netflix of games, where mobiles are taking attention away, where movie streaming is the way most peoples consume media thus removing the need of a cheap optical media like PS2's DVD player, I don't see how it could.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Not a chance. It will sell well, but with the economic downturn a large portion of the world is about to face will make it tough. It will probably outsell the PS3 but I doubt it will reach PS4 numbers. By the time the PS6 is ready to come out consoles in general will be a lot less appealing, so the PS2 remains the king.

edit: I'm shocked PS4 is still 45 million short of PS2.
PS5 will have to do well to barely outsell the PS3 (about 90 million I think)

Karate Kid

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
hell no, its not even going to pass the PS4. Along with competition from two xbox consoles, nintendo, PC becoming more popular every year, and game streaming gaining ground I don't see the PS5 doing as well as the PS4 or PS2. That doesn't mean that it still won't be incredibly successful, it will still be the best selling console worldwide next gen.

Also worldwide/US economy wont be great the next year or beyond so the cheaper offerings will have an advantage.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The PS2 and DS got to prices a high end home console might not ever see.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
No, I don't think so. The PS4 had the best chance since it launched at a low price against a more expensive and weaker system with all sorts of PR issues. The PS5 is expected to launch at a higher price, Microsoft will be more competitive and the overall console userbase seems to have plateaued.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's gonna trouble the PS2 honestly.

The PS5 is looking like a 'gamers' machine. It's big, won't just slip un-noticed into your entertainment centre and, in a world where content is all digitally delivered these days via smart TVs and cheap boxes, it doesn't have that mainstream hook to get it into your family's living room (beyond wanting a console to play new games obviously).

The PS2 was the best and cheapest DVD player for a long time and then sold tens of millions of units after the PS3 launched when they managed to ship a tiny version for $99. Its sales just never ended. I doubt we see that for any new PlayStation. It was such a moment.

Oct 30, 2017
That depends. What do y'all consider PS5's next-gen 'hook'? It all looks 'nice' but no one feature seems to be dominating the 'must have' hype mindshare.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give my answer to that once the console has been properly showcased and given a price. It's high time, Sony. :/

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
PS2 sold over 50 million consoles after X360 and PS3 launched so it had exceptionally long shelf time. This isn't possible today when there's a lot more competition from mobile games etc.

Also MS and Nintendo have much more competitive products on the market instead of what they had with og Xbox and GC.

So no, that's not gonna happeen.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
There's just so much more competition.

They're not just bringing out their wallets for the exclusives to fight against Microsoft's Xbox. But it's PC that has been growing steadily for the past decade, mobile that keeps growing year-on-year, Nintendo having a killer machine with the Switch and then you have game streaming that seems to be the next thing this decade. At the end of the day people only have X amount of hours to spend. And now launching in the middle of a recession, I can't see PS2 numbers happening. I can't see PS4 numbers happening at the moment tbh.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
This is what happens when people hype likes on social media, they overblown their expectations

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
More people are moving mobile and PC, and streaming will pick up in a big way in the next few years.

By 2025, you'll be able to stream PS5 games on your TV in most western households via Azure with no hardware.

Not a chance.

HighJump

Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
PS4 was the best case in the modern gaming market. It was a masterclass in how to design, launch, support, and phase out a console.

Meanwhile Nintendo brought a DOA Wii U as contender and Microsoft completely botched the XB1. Sony had the PS4 hitting right with consumers on almost every note (pricing, content, services).

I could see PS5 having a shot at being Sony's most profitable console. With how digital, services, and 1st party have taken off.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
PS2? Not going to happen, that was a once in a lifetime seller. Extremely rare for any product to make those kinds of numbers.
PS4? Provided momentum is on their side and they keep it up, possibly?
PS1? Most likely, if Sony play their cards right it'll sell 100 million in 5 years.

Of course, there's a lot of different factors at play. We'll be in a massive recession next year, and competition is tougher than it was during the PS4's peak.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I am not sure it will surpass the PS4, as it will have a lot more competition from PCs, Microsoft, and Nintendo. It also likely won't have a COVID boost and will launch during an ecenomic downturn and at a higher price.