• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the 2d models, this looks kinda shitty. Exclusive in the west ist some major bullshit. Way to shit on your fanbase. Still working on D3, so until I cached up it might be out on other systems or I'll just get it for Switch.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I dunno, does it makes sense for Nintendo to pay for this exclusivity? I mean, the game will sell better on the Switch either way, it's a SRPG and it's not graphical intensive (and has lots of grinding), and it's not a series that will move tons of Switches. To me it seems a decision by NISA after selling their other Disgaea ports better on the Switch.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Looks extremely ugly but I'm sure it will still be good, I would have played it on Switch anyway personally

Not sure why some people seem to be in denial that Nintendo would do a paid exclusive though

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
How's Disgaea 5? I downloaded it years ago but never played that much of it. I remember it being kind of overwhelming at first and the gameplay loop not clicking with me...
Oh hey I'm playing it right now, been a while since I've played Disgaea. I've fallen wayyyy down the gameplay loop rabbit hole once Item World opened up. I just can't stop. And I know I should stop and advance the plot more because I'm still early in the game and not all of the game's systems have opened yet, haha.

I get the feeling of being overwhelmed too. Since I hadn't played since Disgaea 2, I feel like D5 presupposes you're a longtime fan. The game spends very little time on tutorials and lots of the explanations are just a list of text-only menus. Like, I wasn't around for Evilities or Magichange.

The thought that Disgaea 6 is upping the level cap is kinda intimidating actually. It's entirely in line with the series brand but I don't think I'm ready for another Disgaea experience for a while.

The chibi artwork translates pretty well into 3D, though. It's very cute.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, does it makes sense for Nintendo to pay for this exclusivity? I mean, the game will sell better on the Switch either way, it's a SRPG and it's not graphical intensive (and has lots of grinding), and it's not a series that will move tons of Switches. To me it seems a decision by NISA after selling their other Disgaea ports better on the Switch.

I think if they were paying there would be no reason to stop short at Japan. They'd get exclusivity everywhere.

People will refer to SNK Heroines but that was a compromise because Nintendo had to make a distribution deal to get the game on Switch at all but SNK already had a deal with NISA for a PS4 version.

Oct 25, 2017
I've purchased and played every Disgaea game so far, but I'm not going to bother with this one if it's switch exclusive.
We'll see tho, considering it's coming to ps4 in Japan - so there is still a chance I guess.
I guess this is where I'm at too. This will be the first one I miss. Oh, well. I'll find something else to scratch that itch.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

https://nintendoeverything.com/nisa...ps4-versions-disgaea-5-near-200k-in-the-west/

Like we've already had a case of something like this before with NISA and Nintendo doing a deal. It seems pretty logical to think another deal happened here specifically for the western version especially because the game is coming out on PS4 in other regions.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
Basically in my head there are two things that would've lead to a Switch only release here in the West.

1) Exclusivity paid by Nintendo
2) There is some "questionable" content within the game that could be flagged by Sony's firm

Personally, I think it's the second, and NIS along with NISA doesn't want to devote extensive dev/QA time to adjust the title. I'm glad that I'm invested in the Switch versions of the game, but I do feel for the PlayStation only players.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I got D5 at launch on PS4 but the later Switch release was pretty successful i hear. These games will come to PC anyway years down the line. It's more my love for Disgaea than nippon ichi that kept me buying the games, hearing how a lot of employees got screwed over before. Clashes with Sony or not some of the troubles were self-made and they cling on with some luck mixed in.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
And it's not the first game NISA releases only to the Switch, Prinny 1+2 (the PSP remasters) are also exclusive from now. The way NISA has been porting EVERYTHING to the system makes me think their sales there are really good, so they may think that prioritizing Switch versions for some games is the best bussiness decision.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
And it's not the first game NISA releases only to the Switch, Prinny 1+2 (the PSP remasters) are also exclusive from now. The way NISA has been porting EVERYTHING to the system makes me think their sales there are really good, so they may think that prioritizing Switch versions for some games is the best bussiness decision.

That's not really the same situation. Prinny 1+2 is also only available on the Switch in Japan.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Basically in my head there are two things that would've lead to a Switch only release here in the West.

2) There is some "questionable" content within the game that could be flagged by Sony's firm

Personally, I think it's the second, and NIS along with NISA doesn't want to devote extensive dev/QA time to adjust the title. I'm glad that I'm invested in the Switch versions of the game, but I do feel for the PlayStation only players.

I mean, if it's No.2, then it's entirely on Sony for creating an environment on PS4 that's fiscally unsound for niche developers.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Looks better than I expected based on the reactions in this thread. Disgaea games have always had a weird blend of good character sprites and hideous 3D terrain, so it's a relief to see actual decent looking 3D cel shaded characters.

Dropping PS4 in the west is weird. I can only assume they're planning a PS5 version later but didn't announce it yet. Doesn't really matter to me either way; Disgaea is great on Switch anyway.

Edit: Thinking about the 3D models a little more, this probably means the end of the isometric camera and fixed 90-degree camera rotations. Thank god.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think "inappropriate" content can be a reason why the west is holding out on a Playstation version, since all those guidelines people like to complain about Sony are global including japan, and it clearly exists anyway. More likley the PS4 to PS5 transition is a bit much to handle.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

#2 is unlikely since even JP exclusives must undergo the content checks for the west.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
That's not really the same situation. Prinny 1+2 is also only available on the Switch in Japan.
Yeah, but maybe NISA thinks that a Ps4 version on mid 2021 will flop, so they are either porting it to the Ps5 later or simply releasing only on the Switch. It's a strange decision for sure, but the game will sell really well on the system like the previous port did.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Folks are talking a lot about Switch exclusivity here, but is that confirmed? I know it's the only announced platform for now, but it might come to PS5 and others later?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The good thing about changing to 3D models is that they can improve them easily from game to game.

As good as the sprites for Disgaea 4 were compared to the sprites in D1-3, they re-used them for DD2, D1 remake and D5, so playing the games on modern systems like the Switch or the Ps4 makes them feel blurry compared to the clear menus and art.

On the other hand, 3D models can be improved gradually, so I think it's a good change for them.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Folks are talking a lot about Switch exclusivity here, but is that confirmed? I know it's the only announced platform for now, but it might come to PS5 and others later?
Most exclusivity deals these days are timed. I don't see how this doesn't end up elsewhere in 6 months to a year from launch.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
The good thing about changing to 3D models is that they can improve them easily from game to game.

As good as the sprites for Disgaea 4 were compared to the sprites in D1-3, they re-used them for DD2, D1 remake and D5, so playing the games on modern systems like the Switch or the Ps4 makes them feel blurry compared to the clear menus and art.

On the other hand, 3D models can be improved gradually, so I think it's a good change for them.

They are going to milk these same 3d models over and over again, the way they did their sprites.

NIS just isn't a wealthy company, they seem to barely scrape by, surviving off the sales of Disgaea whenever they port it to a new platform.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have platform/region sales breakdown for D5? I could imagine the PS4 number was so bad that they didn't even bother localizing the new entry

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think it will be the usual timed exculive dance. The west will probably get the complete edition on PC and PS4

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Exclusivity is a term, that by now, should be an immediate flag as the world has pretty much gone to some level of time period. It seems to me that Nintendo paid for time exclusivity for this title and that future PC/PS versions are due (mostly due to the current PS4>PS5 transition going on).

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
They are going to milk these same 3d models over and over again, the way they did their sprites.

NIS just isn't a wealthy company, they seem to barely scrape by, surviving off the sales of Disgaea whenever they port it to a new platform.
Yeah of course, but they can improve them more easily this time compared to the work of redrawing sprites. At least this time they decided to do a Switch version day one, which is the right thing to do if they want to have good sales on all markets.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
This looks good. I love the hilarity of the game, but I never got to finish a Disgaea game. Hopefully this one is the start.

Jan 11, 2018
I mean the localized PS4 version
Switch version did really good, like 100k-200k in the west

My point being that Disgaea 6 is still getting an English localisation at the end of the day. Not using it for the PS4 version is not going to somehow save them a bunch of money, when an English release on PS4 would be far more likely to outsell the Japanese one. There is clearly some kind of deal in place here.

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
Well this was unexpected. All the rereleases of 4/5/1 made me think the series was on its last legs.

Was there any update to that story about NIS workers not getting paid for a bit? I really, really hope that shit got sorted.

Dodger

May 30, 2020
Bummer it's not coming to the PS4/5. 5 had the best systems but I just couldn't get into it because all the characters annoyed me. From this trailer, I kind of like Zed so hopefully I like this one more than 5.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
My point being that Disgaea 6 is still getting an English localisation at the end of the day. Not using it for the PS4 version is not going to somehow save them a bunch of money, when an English release on PS4 would be far more likely to outsell the Japanese one. There is clearly some kind of deal in place here.
So do you know number for PS4? That's what I'm asking.
There's always cost involved in localization doesn't matter if you have existing translated scripts or not. If D5 sold like 5k in the west then if I'm NIS, I wouldn't even bother and instead focusing on marketing the cashcow version.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
God Damn 2021 calm down!

The 3D models look fine and are going to look better when the game releases on a big TV I think. But it's gonna be something to get used to and as I like some good sprites as the next guy they had to do something different than D4 and 5 which were basically as mechanical and feature rich.

Jan 11, 2018
So do you know number for PS4? That's what I'm asking.
There's always cost involved in localization doesn't matter if you have existing translated scripts or not. If D5 sold like 5k in the west then if I'm NIS, I wouldn't even bother and instead focusing on marketing the cashcow version.

So you would also argue that Final Fantasy should not come to Xbox since those games sell 10x better on PlayStaiton? This is such a weak argument to me. Selling worse on one system is not the same thing as not being profitable. Let's consider that this is a company that managed to stay afloat by adopting Vita as their main platform for a good five years or so before dumping it to move on to Switch. And again, an international PS4 release of this or really just about any game would also be bound to be far more profitable than a Japanese release given the state of PS4 in Japan. There was a lot of drama surrounding Nintendo's previous deal with NISA regarding the physical release of SNK Heroines being a Switch exclusive in the west. Someone at NISA openly talked shit about Sony, and NIS basically had to come out and do damage control.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
instead of making up conspiracy theories about moneyhats and sony policy, what we should be doing is asking how come there's still a gap between jp release and western release

how is english translation and localization not being done during development so that we can get a global release?

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
One of the characters is literally Asuka lol:

CiDAVMG.png
Worst character confirmed

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god is real

Ok not really, but that's the energy here. I was beginning to worry about this.