viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
The art style is super different and I still prefer sprites for now but... that's only because we've had them for so long. Super excited to see what potential this title holds. I think the gameplay is rock solid already, so who knows!

Yahabane

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 29, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Continued platform warring after receiving a prior warning; inflammatory points of comparison around wealth, privilege and poverty
It's not... but there's a notable difference in reception as there's pretty much no complaining on Era when Nintendo makes with the moneyhats.

I mean, there's been pretty much non-stop crying across numerous threads about FFXVI since it was announced, but I've seen pretty much nothing over Nintendo moneyhatting TWO new Monster Hunter games and now this anywhere.

I've seen more posts cheering on Nintendo exclusivity in fact.

Probably because they are two different situations. Inb4 some people report me for console warring and refusing to understand what the problem is, let me explain:

The PlayStation platform is a more privileged platform. It has the best third-party support even if the games don't sell well on it. By that, I mean the tons of niche Japanese games that are going in decline after the loss of handheld platforms. Also stuff like the Doraemon port or Yokai Watch 4 port had abysmal sales on the PS4. Yet, this will never stop companies from supporting it even if they lose money on it. PlayStation fans truly have it good.

So what's the problem? The problem is that Sony moneyhats exclusives DESPITE being this privileged. They already had such a strong platform. Many Japanese third-parties REFUSE to support Xbox (for obvious reasons) and Switch (despite being market leader in Japan) already. Even so, Sony still wants to completely shut down competition by buying more exclusives. That in itself is anti-competitive. Do you understand?

Nintendo platforms, on the other hand, don't have such luxury support. Nintendo can have the strongest platform, and third parties would skip it (see Gamecube vs PS2). Nintendo can have the best selling platform, and third parties would skip it. Hence, when Nintendo goes out of their way to moneyhat exclusives, it is of a competitive nature. They're getting games they might otherwise not get OR to make up for games skipping out on the platform. This balances the market and makes it healthier.

The problem with all the PlayStation fans being upset here is that you guys don't accept that the context are different. From your point of view, it's hypocrisy, but is it? Is it truly console warring and devoid of reasoning? The easiest way to evaluate this is to substitute the context into another similar situation. Let's compare the a rich guy who has everything to a working class citizen. The two are both hoarding goods, but they do it under different circumstances. The rich guy already has enough resources, but they simply want to buy more to keep others from having it. The working class citizen isn't as privileged and is hoarding goods to save up for bad times. Who would you support more? Is it not obvious?

You can say that both Nintendo and Sony are bad, but one's definitely worse. It's not console warring to point out that one platform is clearly more privileged and has more support. The less privileged platform will have compete using the same practice since the dominant one is being extremely aggressive. It is therefore, unreasonable to accuse both of being equally bad when one is doing it to compete and the other is doing it to prevent competition. I don't understand how that is so hard to get. You can say that this is shitty, but you must accept that it's a consequence of Sony's actions. You must, also, cannot deny that it is logically wrong to condemn Nintendo of being more ethically wrong than Sony when the latter is the main driving force and the one with the most privilege on the market. This is a reality you can't deny and calling it console warring because you guys can't dispute this is stupid. It just means you don't want to engage in a discussion where you might be wrong so you just want to shut it down using authority.

tl;dr I can already predict some will dismiss this as some copypasta and satire because they can't and don't want to address the valid points that have been brought up. It's easier to invalidate than engage after all. Be upset about the news if you want, but if someone wants to tell you that your anger is misdirected and the ethical problems you guys brought up are misplaced, then they have all the rights to do so. Just because you're upset doesn't mean anyone who denies your justification for feeling that way are wrong/bad/or console warring. Accept that. An undersupported platform getting exclusives > the most supported platform getting exclusives. I'll say it how many times you need to hear it. The latter is more unnecessary than the former. If the former is being more widely accepted, then there is a reason for that. You try to understand things by analyzing the norms and values that created such a different standard for the two platforms in the first place. Dismissing is NOT understanding.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
For me I don't understand the logic. Surely it would make more sense to make the game exclusive in Japan, a country that Switch has been dominating, rather than in the West.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
For me I don't understand the logic. Surely it would make more sense to make the game exclusive in Japan, a country that Switch has been dominating, rather than in the West.
Disgaea is more relevant in the west than Japan, so locking it up in the west is a bigger deal since that's where all the sales come from.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Hopefully it hits PC later. Switch games are just too expensive in my country.

The easiest way to evaluate this is to substitute the context into another similar situation. Let's compare the a rich guy who has everything to a working class citizen. The two are both hoarding goods, but they do it under different circumstances. The rich guy already has enough resources, but they simply want to buy more to keep others from having it. The working class citizen isn't as privileged and is hoarding goods to save up for bad times. Who would you support more? Is it not obvious?

That's a weird way to compare two game consoles

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The sales for small Japanese games have been favouring Switch more outside of Japan compared to in Japan.

Disgaea 5 Complete did kind of bad in Japan but tremendously well outside.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
It's kind of amusing to see people so worked up over Disgaea. Even on Era it feels like Disgaea is a very niche series.

The limited edition is up for preorder, but I'm on the fence about it. I don't want to spend so much money and the Ys IX limited edition is more appealing. Ugggghhh.
:D

I bought D5 Complete on Switch for $60 on release of the game back in 2017. Last month I sold it for $50, new today is $55.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Probably because they are two different situations. Inb4 some people report me for console warring and refusing to understand what the problem is, let me explain:

The PlayStation platform is a more privileged platform. It has the best third-party support even if the games don't sell well on it. By that, I mean the tons of niche Japanese games that are going in decline after the loss of handheld platforms. Also stuff like the Doraemon port or Yokai Watch 4 port had abysmal sales on the PS4. Yet, this will never stop companies from supporting it even if they lose money on it. PlayStation fans truly have it good.

So what's the problem? The problem is that Sony moneyhats exclusives DESPITE being this privileged. They already had such a strong platform. Many Japanese third-parties REFUSE to support Xbox (for obvious reasons) and Switch (despite being market leader in Japan) already. Even so, Sony still wants to completely shut down competition by buying more exclusives. That in itself is anti-competitive. Do you understand?

Nintendo platforms, on the other hand, don't have such luxury support. Nintendo can have the strongest platform, and third parties would skip it (see Gamecube vs PS2). Nintendo can have the best selling platform, and third parties would skip it. Hence, when Nintendo goes out of their way to moneyhat exclusives, it is of a competitive nature. They're getting games they might otherwise not get OR to make up for games skipping out on the platform. This balances the market and makes it healthier.

The problem with all the PlayStation fans being upset here is that you guys don't accept that the context are different. From your point of view, it's hypocrisy, but is it? Is it truly console warring and devoid of reasoning? The easiest way to evaluate this is to substitute the context into another similar situation. Let's compare the a rich guy who has everything to a working class citizen. The two are both hoarding goods, but they do it under different circumstances. The rich guy already has enough resources, but they simply want to buy more to keep others from having it. The working class citizen isn't as privileged and is hoarding goods to save up for bad times. Who would you support more? Is it not obvious?

You can say that both Nintendo and Sony are bad, but one's definitely worse. It's not console warring to point out that one platform is clearly more privileged and has more support. The less privileged platform will have compete using the same practice since the dominant one is being extremely aggressive. It is therefore, unreasonable to accuse both of being equally bad when one is doing it to compete and the other is doing it to prevent competition. I don't understand how that is so hard to get. You can say that this is shitty, but you must accept that it's a consequence of Sony's actions. You must, also, cannot deny that it is logically wrong to condemn Nintendo of being more ethically wrong than Sony when the latter is the main driving force and the one with the most privilege on the market. This is a reality you can't deny and calling it console warring because you guys can't dispute this is stupid. It just means you don't want to engage in a discussion where you might be wrong so you just want to shut it down using authority.

tl;dr I can already predict some will dismiss this as some copypasta and satire because they can't and don't want to address the valid points that have been brought up. It's easier to invalidate than engage after all. Be upset about the news if you want, but if someone wants to tell you that your anger is misdirected and the ethical problems you guys brought up are misplaced, then they have all the rights to do so. Just because you're upset doesn't mean anyone who denies your justification for feeling that way are wrong/bad/or console warring. Accept that. An undersupported platform getting exclusives > the most supported platform getting exclusives. I'll say it how many times you need to hear it. The latter is more unnecessary than the former. If the former is being more widely accepted, then there is a reason for that. You try to understand things by analyzing the norms and values that created such a different standard for the two platforms in the first place. Dismissing is NOT understanding.
I read the whole thing, but just no. One isn't worse and one isn't more privileged. In fact, this makes it more like fanboy drivel, blaming one side.

I've never bought a lot of Disgaea games, but I bought D3 on Vita, D4 on PS3 and Vita, and D5 on PS4. Won't be getting this unless it hopefully hits PS4 or PS5 in the West (Complete Edition maybe).

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I definitely understand why people are disappointed. If Disgaea 2 RE gets announced next week and has a Japanese Switch/PS5 release but a western PS5 only release I would be frustrated.

It's a dumb situation.

anderedna

Oct 25, 2017
Really NIS, exclusive to switch in English for Disgaea?
A series that were always been released (and re-released) on Playstation?
Heck, the first game I played on my PS3 was Disgaea3, coz I really enjoyed playing D1 and D2 on PS2.

Sigh. Hopefully they'll port it to PS5 down later with all DLC in it. That'll be a silver lining I guess.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Isn't this the series with borderline pedobait designs?

This forum and anime, I swear. All real world issues dissolve before animated "waifus".

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Isn't this the series with borderline pedobait designs?

This forum and anime, I swear. All real world issues dissolve before animated "waifus".

Wat? It's just chibi

1*bc5swSX0MjrNGCgEwcYilA.png

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really NIS, exclusive to switch in English for Disgaea?
A series that were always been released (and re-released) on Playstation?
Heck, the first game I played on my PS3 was Disgaea3, coz I really enjoyed playing D1 and D2 on PS2.

Sigh. Hopefully they'll port it to PS5 down later with all DLC in it. That'll be a silver lining I guess.

It's shitty that there's a PS4 version in Japan and not outside but they aren't really beholden to always release on PlayStation because the dynamics have fundamentally changed. NISA has been selling more software on Switch and Disgaea 5 on Switch was much more successful than the PS4 version, and they quite publicly called out PlayStation for no longer caring about small publishers like them.

anderedna

Oct 25, 2017
It's shitty that there's a PS4 version in Japan and not outside but they aren't really beholden to always release on PlayStation because the dynamics have fundamentally changed. NISA has been selling more software on Switch and Disgaea 5 on Switch was much more successful than the PS4 version, and they quite publicly called out PlayStation for no longer caring about small publishers like them.
Yes, of course. NIS don't have any obligations to keep on releasing Disgaea on PS. It's their decision. However not releasing it in English on PS after having a PS4 version in Japan and English text from west switch version is very disappointing.

I'm still hoping there will be a complete collection down the line on PS. NIS usually have this kind of release for Disgaea.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, of course. NIS don't have any obligations to keep on releasing Disgaea on PS. It's their decision. However not releasing it in English on PS after having a PS4 version in Japan and English text from west switch version is very disappointing.

I'm still hoping there will be a complete collection down the line on PS. NIS usually have this kind of release for Disgaea.

I think that's pretty likely. I imagine the fact there's no PS5 version(yet), so it would be a PS4 release well into 2021 is the reason they decided to drop the PS version(for now).

It's coming out in January in Japan and PS5 is going to be a slow burner there so it doesn't make sense to drop the PS4 version there.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
MC design and and 3d both looking questionable. They've been chasing that d1 magic for 2 decades and they very rarely catch it. Mechanics are always good, I just wish the writing weren't so incredibly tiresome.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wat? It's just chibi

1*bc5swSX0MjrNGCgEwcYilA.png

Nah, there's some gross shit in the series. I'm playing 5 now and there's a kid character with like her pants in danger of falling off and the other characters treat her like and call her a kid, and she looks noticeably younger than the rest of the cast.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Nah, there's some gross shit in the series. I'm playing 5 now and there's a kid character with like her pants in danger of falling off and the other characters treat her and call her a kid.

I haven't played 5, so fair enough. Hopefully 6 is better (not very hopeful though)

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, there's some gross shit in the series. I'm playing 5 now and there's a kid character with like her pants in danger of falling off and the other characters treat her like and call her a kid, and she looks noticeably younger than the rest of the cast.
The rabbit girl? I just got there, I don't think she's wearing pants, it's like a leotard.

The designs are pretty sketch in places yeah and there's squads and buffs for "flat chested" characters and boob jiggle. Peak otaku cringe. Nowi from FE might be the modern face of deragatory 1000 year old dragon description but Etna was the original 1000 year old demon.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it multiplat in Japan and exclusive in the west? . Super odd thing to do

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey I'm playing it right now, been a while since I've played Disgaea. I've fallen wayyyy down the gameplay loop rabbit hole once Item World opened up. I just can't stop. And I know I should stop and advance the plot more because I'm still early in the game and not all of the game's systems have opened yet, haha.

I get the feeling of being overwhelmed too. Since I hadn't played since Disgaea 2, I feel like D5 presupposes you're a longtime fan. The game spends very little time on tutorials and lots of the explanations are just a list of text-only menus. Like, I wasn't around for Evilities or Magichange.

The thought that Disgaea 6 is upping the level cap is kinda intimidating actually. It's entirely in line with the series brand but I don't think I'm ready for another Disgaea experience for a while.

The chibi artwork translates pretty well into 3D, though. It's very cute.

Well, here is a tip:. Do not fully upgrade the innocent farm. Stop at level 7.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What?
Ah crud too late for that.

Ah well. Thanks anyway!

Well, unless you planned to really go all out it might not be that important. It's just way easier to get max innocent stacks initially if you don't max it. Subduing them in an item doubles their level and you can also fish for innocent tiles that really crank up the multiplier. There's also a squad you should level up and join whenever you subdue (Hunter Squad I think, more level multiplier)

Truthfully though, most of them will come from duping anyway once you're deep enough in an item. It's not the end of the world.

ReddishGUI

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that annoys me is simply the fact that I own every single Disgaea games on PS and now it won't "fit" with the rest.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Disgaea 2 is the only one I never played, I finished all other ones including Disgaea D2.
So I hope they're going to make a Disgaea 2 complete or remake someday.
There's also Phantom Brave that I never finished so I might do that while waiting Disgaea 6.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
New and amazing details about this game just came out in an article, but the main points for any SRPG and Disgaea fan:

• Functions such as double speed mode, auto-battle, auto-play were added
  • AI Edit function added

Holy crap! This game is just so far above any SRPG ever that it's a joke!

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
If AI Edit means some kind of "monster behavior" cheat shop setting then it is a welcome choice, there was just no reason to waste slots for the extremely situational benefits of forcing lucky boards/level fish to not move, make monsters ignore/attract to you, etc that such evilities supplied in D5.

Double Speed gonna be weird it took me a while to get used to D5's cursor movement at max speed already now everything that happens is gonna whizz by.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
If AI Edit means some kind of "monster behavior" cheat shop setting then it is a welcome choice, there was just no reason to waste slots for the extremely situational benefits of forcing lucky boards/level fish to not move, make monsters ignore/attract to you, etc that such evilities supplied in D5.
Feel like it has more to do with the auto-battle functionality. If so, wonder how finely it'll let you tailor your units' behavior?

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
Disgaea 2 is the only one I never played, I finished all other ones including Disgaea D2.
So I hope they're going to make a Disgaea 2 complete or remake someday.
There's also Phantom Brave that I never finished so I might do that while waiting Disgaea 6.
I'd love a remaster of 2. My fave as well. It would be amazing to see it durning the Switch's lifespan. We'd have nearly all Disgaea games on a single platform!

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, both D3 and D4 got their remakes already (even if I'm not a fan of their mechanics regarding geo blocks instead of spheres/pyramids, and the way skill level power increases by and large invalidate tanking and just turn maps into shootouts and 'alpha striking'), and D2's remake on psp/DS was not quite as good.

That being said, because it 'technically' has a remake/'complete' edition, I don't know if we'd see it anytime soon.

I thiiiiink I'd rather have a DD2 re-release tho, because it both involves Laharl and co. again, and has a lot of improvement/changes from D3/D4's gameplay that went onto D5.

Anyways, I'm curious if the auto-battler stuff actually lets you do multiple stages and such (i.e. clearing item world levels), or is just some variation/improvement akin to more recent fire emblem titles where the game will move your units around for you, but only for that stage.