Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Guess I'll just import the PS4 version. Kinda odd but it'll probably be localized on the platform after a time.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo going moneyhat crazy today it seems.

Guess I'll just have to hope the Asian PS4 release has english options.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Damage caps in the previous game cap at 3 Trillion. So having it go to 1 Quadrillion or 999 Trillion just seems redundant.

The new level cap of 9 million though. Not that there is any semblance of balance, but this is like getting to DBZ power levels of nonsense now.

I remember there used to be old anime forum vs threads of people doing their fictional contest of who can beat Goku. I think it's gotten to the point that the Disgaea universe has been on that power scale for quite some time. I think some of the special attack animations in D5 and D4 involves the destruction of planets. One is basically a laser beam that causes the solar system to explode. Yeah it's basically DBZ level at this point.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Switch exclusive in the west is odd but I'm assuming Disgaea's sales on PlayStation outside of Japan have all but dried up?

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Anyone considered the lack of the ps4 version is because they want to push a ps5 version in the west?

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I think Anihawk's take in the Mediacreate thread is probably most likely: January PS4 release in Japan makes perfect sense, Later 2021 PS4 release outside of Japan not so much.
And if NIS got a bit of a free marketing support out of it (even if only this spot in the direct) by making it 'exclusive' then it's win - win for them.

They'll localize the inevitable PS5 port.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone considered the lack of the ps4 version is because they want to push a ps5 version in the west?
In the NoA version of the Direct they said it's exclusive and NISA would've mentioned on their social media or the games official website if it's coming to the PS5.

Maybe when they do the eventual complete version or something.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Switch exclusive in the west is odd but I'm assuming Disgaea's sales on PlayStation outside of Japan have all but dried up?
This is what I'm thinking as well. Sales of the Switch version of D5 exceeded the PS4 version and that was probably also the case for D4Complete and the D1 remake. It may have moved NIS to prioritize Switch over PS4/5 rather then being moneyhatted away.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the localized PS4 version
Switch version did really good, like 100k-200k in the west
Yeah it did 200k but that number was from 2 years ago.
But I'm puzzled as to why Nintendo would pay for exclusivity, unless it's NISA who approached them, referring to their comment about Sony not being friendly to small studios.
This is what I'm thinking as well. Sales of the Switch version of D5 exceeded the PS4 version and that was probably also the case for D4Complete and the D1 remake. It may have moved NIS to prioritize Switch over PS4/5 rather then being moneyhatted away.
Perhaps it's true, the sales of the past games wasn't enough to justify all the cost associated to make it available on PS4 in the West.
A PS5 version would bring more people though, but it doesn't exist yet.

Personally I don't mind, I platinum-ed D5 on PS4 but every other games I played on portable anyway.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this is any worse than Sony moneyhatting Final Fantasy games so they don't come to Xbox and PC until a year after.

It's not... but there's a notable difference in reception as there's pretty much no complaining on Era when Nintendo makes with the moneyhats.

I mean, there's been pretty much non-stop crying across numerous threads about FFXVI since it was announced, but I've seen pretty much nothing over Nintendo moneyhatting TWO new Monster Hunter games and now this anywhere.

I've seen more posts cheering on Nintendo exclusivity in fact.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at Disgaea 4's timeline between Japanese and English release, this really doesn't seem different and needing help with localization. It's either a moneyhat or NISA for some reason just dumped the PS4 version.
Yeah, it's not a localisation thing. NISA put forward making the physical version of SNK Heroines Switch exclusive in the West and Nintendo accepted. This is just the next step in that sort of deal.
Perhaps it's true, the sales of the past games wasn't enough to justify all the cost associated to make it available on PS4 in the West.
A PS5 version would bring more people though, but it doesn't exist yet.

Personally I don't mind, I platinum-ed D5 on PS4 but every other games I played on portable anyway.
It's the other way around. The Japan PS4 sales for D5 were really poor, but worldwide was strong.

Last edited:

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
It's kind of amusing to see people so worked up over Disgaea. Even on Era it feels like Disgaea is a very niche series.

The limited edition is up for preorder, but I'm on the fence about it. I don't want to spend so much money and the Ys IX limited edition is more appealing. Ugggghhh.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
76563.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Even if the 'Content Guidelines' didn't force NISA to not release it on PS4 in the west, look at it from another perspective.

When stuff like a niche localizer being forced to cancel a release less than a month before launch because Sony pulled their certification at the last second due to the 'Guidelines' is a thing that happens now, is it a wonder that publishers with similar pedigree would eagerly take a deal with Nintendo (Which doesn't have the same strict content rules) when offered one?

What's the story here...?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda annoyed at the lack of a PC version but I'm also way behind on the series so I feel like there's a solid chance we'll see a PC port by the time I want to dip back in.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you even have any proof that Nintendo is paying this to be exclusive in the west?

I mean, why would they not localize it in the west on PS4 outside of that?

Even if it were a digital only release, they will have the localization and port done already, it would barely cost them anything even if it doesn't do gangbusters.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I mean, why would they not localize it in the west on PS4 outside of that?

Even if it were a digital only release, they will have the localization and port done already, it would barely cost them anything even if it doesn't do gangbusters.

Maybe they don't feel that localizing it in the west is worth the cost/resources considering how well Switch version sold in the west compared to the PS4?

So, no, you don't have any proof; just a predisposition of calling something a cunt without anything concrete to back it up.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they don't feel that localizing it in the west is worth the cost/resources considering how well Switch version sold in the west compared to the PS4?

So, no, you don't have any proof; just a predisposition of calling something a cunt without anything concrete to back it up.

I'm not the person you talked to. Jesus man. I didn't call anyone a cunt lol.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
It's not... but there's a notable difference in reception as there's pretty much no complaining on Era when Nintendo makes with the moneyhats.

I mean, there's been pretty much non-stop crying across numerous threads about FFXVI since it was announced, but I've seen pretty much nothing over Nintendo moneyhatting TWO new Monster Hunter games and now this anywhere.

I've seen more posts cheering on Nintendo exclusivity in fact.

You CLEARLY were not in the MH:R thread. some people were losing their shit

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

You mean the costs they are already paying for the switch release that they will probably use in the PS4 release in the English Asian version?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I think it was about time for them to change the graphical style. Really digging it. Haven't really played much since Disgaea 4. But it's always been a series I played on Playstation. Really bummed it's only on Switch in the US.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Hopefully the gameplay is changed up a bit beyond increasing numbers even higher. Not a fan of the 3d models, but if the rest of the game looks fresh enough I might bite.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Switch ver exclusive in the west? Yikes.

This reminds me of when SE pulled that with Star Ocean 4 and Namco did with Tales of Vesperia...ugh.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

The PS4 version did well overseas. It's the Japan PS4 release which did really poorly, so it makes no sense to do it the way they're doing it without a deal. Iunno why there's any doubt about this.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
3D models look incredible.

I'm buying this day 1.

Also, I can't begin to explain the apprehension I feel with that level cap.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nintendo getting that west exclusive 6 of Disgaea is pretty big.

I really enjoyed Disgaea 5 as my entry. Looking forward to this one

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'd much prefer this on PS4, but I'll still buy it on Switch. I love me some Disgaea, and I just appreciate that we're getting a new one at all. I like that it's getting 3D models too.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Why is everyone saying PS5, PS5, PS5 like it's guaranteed or something. Why would you make a game for a platform that AT BEST might have 15m sales by end of March 2021 (Sony's estimated production/sales of console from financial forecast and order numbers) when you can make it on a platform that has absolutely sold OVER 110m? Not to mention the PS5 does support BC with PS4 games?