• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you enjoy Bloodborne's story?

• I don't remember any of it

Votes: 218 21.2%
  • It sucked

Votes: 37 3.6%
  • It was alright

Votes: 158 15.4%
  • It was amazing

Votes: 616 59.9%

• Total voters

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
I started it a while back but just now restarting after a long break (currently at Nightmare of Mensis area). Thinking about the story I remember pre-release this was touted as being more story-focused than the Souls games but I guess that just means a few more cutscenes and notes lying around. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing tbh but I'm wondering how the community at large feels about this way of storytelling and wether Bloodborne pulled it off.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, I like how you gotta play the game multiple times to understand it.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Main storylines in From Software games are mostly pretty simple. The lore fleshed around that is what makes them very interesting. They leave a good amount to your imagination to piece things together.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The story is really good but I think people wax about it a bit too much. It's better then other souls games at least.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic.

Among the best of the generation... I especially like how the game doesn't ram it down your throat.

If you want to learn more, you can- At your own pace.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The "story" (that is, the overall script, narrative, etc) isn't much to write home about, but the Lore (the background mythology that you piece together) is definitely something.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I enjoyed how not there it was. I beat it like 6 times and couldn't list a single plot point. But apparently people here think its amazing. That's how you do a story.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've played it 6 times throughout and I still have no idea what is going on.

Not even joking, love the game.

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
never really pay attention to souls' stories. just there for combat and the environments.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
oh hell yes

It might be the best part of the game.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I like how you actually get to witness the end of the world first hand rather than explore the aftermath a la Dark Souls. It was a nice change of pace.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The storytelling was masterful. It wouldn't work for most games, but Bloodborne's game design leant itself well to a slow burning mystery.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I like how you actually get to witness the end of the world first hand rather than explore the aftermath a la Dark Souls. It was a nice change of pace.

It's not the end of the world though. The events of the hunt are pretty clearly contained to a single city (Yharnam), maybe two if we count Cainhurst.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The world building is ace, one of the best. The main story around the player character is kind of forgettable and designed to be played more than once.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't remember any of Bloodborne's story I don't think you got very far

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't really understand or make an effort to comprehend the story of Bloodborne on my first few playthroughs, but reading about it on GAF convinced me to read Lovecraft for the first time. After devouring an anthology of his works, I went back and replayed Bloodborne for yet another time, trying to piece together the lore. Being able to pick out the numerous references and inspirations in the game made it much more enjoyable.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, it's brilliant. Think about it all the time, know many of the item descriptions and dialogue by heart.

From's style of storytelling is one of my favorites in the industry, I get really invested.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Cool concept and theming but the actual story sucks. Amazing game though

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The story and lore is incredible if you take the time to get into it, easily one of the best of gaming.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Its not, there's references to distant lands.

Right. Yharnam is a decent sized city (at least for the time period that it appears to take place in) but it's clearly not meant to be the entire world.
The crazy stuff that's happening is largely the result of one religious sect abusing the blood of Great Ones they found hidden in tombs below the city of Yharnam.

In gamer terms Bloodborne is like RE2. Apocalyptic shit is happening, but it's only within Raccoon City, not the world.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly loved it, and I think it's the best lore and setting that From created. I don't think it would have worked as well in a traditional story telling format

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never got passed the first boss so... couldn't really tell you. What I saw I liked though. Good atmosphere

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I thought the story was pretty fantastic. I think it's something that doesn't get highlighted quite as often as it should as a real strength of the game.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I think the perfect storytelling balance is somewhere in between Bloodborne and Sekiro, but I still loved the hell out of Bloodborne's story and lore. By far the most interesting world From has come up with IMO.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Personally prefer Dark Souls 1 lore over it.

Dark 1 is my favourite lore still but Bloodborne is close. Still, I don't think the plot of any of the recent From games has been very engaging and this is an area that From could improve. They tried with Sekiro, but it was still kind of stilted. World building and lore though they are top tier.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I found it more interesting than what they did with Dark Souls II and III, but nothing amazing. The stories from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls felt more interesting to me, but maybe this was because the intro sequence (CG cinematic) of the games did a better job introducing the world elements and making the player interested.

As much as I think that Sekiro is overall a better game than BB, the story (and the art design) are far inferior, the more direct approach doesn't work at all for their games.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Literally one of the best narratives in gaming. Hardly anything comes close and what does are essentially only masterworks.

Oct 28, 2017
Yessss, and I feel it was masterclass in worldbuidling; Lore peppered through the design of it all and a true marriage of the lovecraftian unknown and that FS ambuigity. It just worked beautifully and there's literally nothing that felt out of place of overdesigned to me. Flawless.