• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

I doubt BHVR will respond but it's good to see him using his platform to help out console players.

Are there even any console games that give players graphic options? I was always under the assumption they were locked on console.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Played a match as Spirit a couple of days ago where a Nea was clearly very comfortable with the loops on the map. They were very impressive and it seemed impossible to catch her at first, but when they run the same loop a couple of times and you have a pretty good idea of where they're running to it's basically over. Spirit is an awful lot faster. Thanks to that player, I'm now a little better at playing against Spirit because they exposed some of her weaknesses I didn't know about yet.

yeah, i do always recommend playing both sides just to learn how to play against them better :D i play a lot of survive with friends, but do practice alone as a killer to learn their weaknesses and overall mindgames

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Are there even any console games that give players graphic options? I was always under the assumption they were locked on console.

nowadays you can often select between 30fps and 60fps modes, and some good ones also have an FOV slider and the ability to turn off motion blur etc. but these usually won´t affect performance.

I mean the petition feels kinda backwards, they should just optimize the game properly to run at a solid framerate, not handicap it by making some ducttape solution of lowering graphics :D And unfortunately we´re at the crossgen phase where using resources on the last gen version can feel like it´s not the best use of their limited resources. If they could get a third party studio to help optimize the PS4/X1/Switch ports that could be the solution but also probably too expensive. I bet Panic Button or another developer could squeeze a solid framerate out of the Switch and lastgen consoles, as they have done the Doom ports for example on the Switch.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the petition feels kinda backwards, they should just optimize the game properly to run at a solid framerate, not handicap it by making some ducttape solution of lowering graphics :D And unfortunately we´re at the crossgen phase where using resources on the last gen version can feel like it´s not the best use of their limited resources. If they could get a third party studio to help optimize the PS4/X1/Switch ports that could be the solution but also probably too expensive. I bet Panic Button or another developer could squeeze a solid framerate out of the Switch and lastgen consoles, as they have done the Doom ports for example on the Switch.
I'll be honest dude, this sentence reeks of corporate bootlicking.

"Why should they fix the performance issues when everyone can just buy $500 consoles to fix it?"

Yeah, nah. They can spend the money to do that. Consumers shouldn't have to pay for the devs refusal to fix it.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest dude, this sentence reeks of corporate bootlicking.

"Why should they fix the performance issues when everyone can just buy $500 consoles to fix it?"

Yeah, nah. They can spend the money to do that. Consumers shouldn't have to pay for the devs refusal to fix it.

i´m just being realistic :D Starbreeze is not a big publisher. And i did say they should fix it, but i can see them just ignoring it.

Aia

Oct 28, 2017
Even on XSX, the game crashes my console often but thank god I am moving to Steam soon and will leave this shitty console behind for ever.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Why do people use cheats in this game of all games. Just ruins everyones fun. I haven't played in 2-3 days, decide to get back into it. First match, 2 cheaters just insta healing, trying to blind me forever(lightborn, so they couldn't) and just running around the map at light speed. Of course I get hit with the quiting penalty, not going to stick around someones torture chamber for 10-20 minutes while they refuse to do gens because they rather just blind and head on the killer for "lulz"

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people use cheats in this game of all games. Just ruins everyones fun. I haven't played in 2-3 days, decide to get back into it. First match, 2 cheaters just insta healing, trying to blind me forever(lightborn, so they couldn't) and just running around the map at light speed. Of course I get hit with the quiting penalty, not going to stick around someones torture chamber for 10-20 minutes while they refuse to do gens because they rather just blind and head on the killer for "lulz"

you just answered yourself, for the lulz :P

I´ve yet to see anyone cheat but have seen some youtube clips, at least it´s not very common.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was unexpected and just a little bit tense. Just played a match where I found a hex totem quite early on and cleansed it - turns out it was Devour Hope so it's a good thing I caught it when I did - and then it turns out they had NOED too so I just bailed. 😂

Admittedly the two survivors that got downed were on their last hook anyway, but I've learned my lesson over recent matches. Never try to save others if the killer has NOED. Even if you do unhook them, you'll just die yourself. Best to just leave while they're busy not chasing you.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
last night was probably my worst night ever as a killer. I got matched up with sweaty after sweaty and got like 10 hate messages total over the night. I switched to clown because I seem to get better medals with him more often. So I miss with his bottles a lot because I am not used to him.

One match I didnt hit a single survivor till the very end and downed one, then all 3 other immediately started blinding me over and over again. And they all escaped(of course all stopping to teabag the exit). Then every single one messaged me "LOL FUCKING GARBAGE".

Next match I killed 3 people and one escaped. The one that escaped messaged me "oof ur bad"

Why do people care so much about this shit, i dont even look at the player list of people I just played against when I win or lose. I just back out and start searching again.

One match I switched over to survivor. It was down to me and one other. They got their 2nd hook, and I was right by the hatch. The person on the hook messaged me "Lets go fuckin idiot". So I went to save him, and the wraith was standing right there next to him cloaked and killed us both.

Last edited:

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was unexpected and just a little bit tense. Just played a match where I found a hex totem quite early on and cleansed it - turns out it was Devour Hope so it's a good thing I caught it when I did - and then it turns out they had NOED too so I just bailed. 😂

Admittedly the two survivors that got downed were on their last hook anyway, but I've learned my lesson over recent matches. Never try to save others if the killer has NOED. Even if you do unhook them, you'll just die yourself. Best to just leave while they're busy not chasing you.

Yeah NOED is pretty bullshit as there's very little you can do then besides escape. Looking for the totem is too luck dependant. Can try something with Decisive Strike and Borrowed Time, but even then it's super risky.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, I take it back. I think I hate Bubba as much as the Doctor. It's like they took the Hillbilly and removed the main risk/reward mechanic of his design by allowing Bubba to move as much as he likes in any direction and still down anyone in one hit. He's a killer with no weaknesses and that is so bloody stupid that it just annoys me.

The only tips I've found are "don't get into a chase with him" and "jump through the nearest window", but neither are exactly helpful. He's so damn fast that beating him to a window is basically impossible and he has a perk that literally points you out to him.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Y'know, I take it back. I think I hate Bubba as much as the Doctor. It's like they took the Hillbilly and removed the main risk/reward mechanic of his design by allowing Bubba to move as much as he likes in any direction and still down anyone in one hit. He's a killer with no weaknesses and that is so bloody stupid that it just annoys me.

The only tips I've found are "don't get into a chase with him" and "jump through the nearest window", but neither are exactly helpful. He's so damn fast that beating him to a window is basically impossible and he has a perk that literally points you out to him.

Bubba is definitely a bit different than the other killers. The worst part is if you play him just alright but not really well he ends up shredding pallets and leaving huge parts of the map completely barren. If you time your pallet stuns well enough you can still get stuns even in the dash, which is really the key to getting loops on him. You can also take advantage of his big ass hitbox by running tight loops around trees or other small objects to make it hard for him to catch up to you with the chainsaw. Cause him to accidentally bump which is just free distance for you.

Also when he starts revving his chainsaw he slows down tremendously. Sometimes it's best to go all in and just don't stop so while he revs up his chainsaw you can get some distance. That's how you make it to windows.

His kit is really strong overall though. I actually have a couple of clips on hand doing what I'm talking about here. Here's 2 examples.

Bubba on pallets:

Bubba on a tree:

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
There's literally nothing you can do against Bubba on most maps since the reworked maps have so many dead zones. I'm not even going to mention how bullshit it is to face him on shelter woods. It's an automatic win for Bubba.

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
So am I, but I feel like it's partly due to me not having any interest in playing him so I haven't had the chance to practice much with him. My main killers have always been Clown, Trapper Boy, and Piggy aka weak ass killers according to the community!
Yeah I try to stay away from "stronger" killers like Bubba or Spirit. I mostly play Billy (for memes), Nemesis, and Clown. I should start playing Trapper some time because he seems like he would have the most satisfying wins haha.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Bubba used to be discount Billy, one of the worst killers in the game. When they updated Bubba they probably overtuned them slightly. People say windows are the best play because it forces them to use a basic attack instead, giving you distance and time.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
Bubba used to be discount Billy, one of the worst killers in the game. When they updated Bubba they probably overtuned them slightly. People say windows are the best play because it forces them to use a basic attack instead, giving you distance and time.
A lot of good Bubba players use bamboozle, so the only counterplay (windows) go out the door pretty quickly!

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Playing the Killer is so fun. I'm glad I bought the game. I've been meaning to for so long, but never got around to it. There was always something else I felt like playing more, so just pushed it off until now. The stranger things DLC being removed is what pushed me to get it now. The clown is just too much fun for me stop playing him. I also like how you always feel like you gain some progress towards stuff, no matter if you "won" or "lost".

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing this game recently. I can't believe it took me so long to give it a try. I ended up buying all the DLC on discount, I've hit 50 with Cheryl and Executioner and am going to continue to use those characters to level the rest I'm thinking. I'm surprised I've never seen another Pyramid Head playing Survivor because I really love his play style. Like, I can see how his toolkit is far from perfect but I love caging people and how it kind of eliminates the temptation of camping. Just off hunting the whole map and punishing survivors who play cat and mouse with the pallets with his AOE strike is super satisfying.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
This picture from reddit sums up my thoughts about the new rank system.

240738936_4840509379312551_7038300431130662061_n.jpg

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

tldr:

• SBMM being enabled indefinitely with the 5.2.0 update
  • Ranks being replaced with a range of 5 grades from ash to iridescent
  • Amount of pips you can lose is now limited (they're vague on that)
  • 250k BP awarded on reset separately for killer and survivor if you're at the lowest rank, they don't go into what is awarded at higher ranks
  • Cenobite changes
  • More promises of performance fixes on console

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
So we still will be losing pips even with rank rewards?

Welp, guess I'm not getting max BP a month.

Also lol I knew they'd change the BP rewards. Everyone was saying 250k BP for the amount of grinding required is pitiful.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna bother with rank rewards honestly. There's a lot of fun games coming out in the next few months, and I just don't want to spend my time grinding every month to get to rank 1 on both roles. That sounds like a great way to get burnt out of this game.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Should have know lol. You could easily earn that 5 games with BBQ & Chilli depending on how lucky you get with the matchmaking.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
RPD map is disabled (again) because people found a way to just leave the map and it counted as an escape lol

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
It feels like a very Product Manager kind of change. Screw the top players and cater to the long tail. For the average player there is always the option to just not play sweaty all the time (which is what I do, and I almost never use addons) and just stay at some comfortable level with the occasional option to go sweaty and feel good. This might lose them streamers though, which can have secondary effects on the player base.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It feels like a very Product Manager kind of change. Screw the top players and cater to the long tail. For the average player there is always the option to just not play sweaty all the time (which is what I do, and I almost never use addons) and just stay at some comfortable level with the occasional option to go sweaty and feel good. This might lose them streamers though, which can have secondary effects on the player base.
What's the main issue? I watched the Otz video but I didn't really get it. Is the issue that you could get to a rank with no add ons and perks, and then start using the best stuff and get some easy games?

That doesn't seem worse to me than the wild variance of skill levels you have at rank 1 now. I'm probably missing the issue.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is that it doesn't take add-ons and perks into account for the MMR.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
What's the main issue? I watched the Otz video but I didn't really get it. Is the issue that you could get to a rank with no add ons and perks, and then start using the best stuff and get some easy games?

That doesn't seem worse to me than the wild variance of skill levels you have at rank 1 now. I'm probably missing the issue.
At the very top skill levels, there's only a few killers that are actually viable. Which means if you are a good survivor, you are only going to keep seeing those same few killers for all your games. That will make the game go stale very fast, which will create a weird player ecosystem where you end up losing the ability to retain veteran skilled survivors as they get bored. Similarly, you will probably end up encountering only sweaty SWF groups using meta items and perks as a killer at high skill levels, which makes it hard to ever have chill games anymore.

The current large variance in Rank 1, while bad for MMR, also means a larger variance in playstyle, which helps keeps things fresh. Basically perfectly balanced is not the same metric as fun.

I guess the closest thing would be like you have a fighting game with 30 characters, but in high-level ranked everyone just plays the same 2-3 characters all the time because none of the other characters are viable. Theoretically you fix this by balance patches, but none of the streamers have faith in BHVR doing this in a timely manner before the playerbase dies. Especially since *singular* killer updates happen at about the same pace as the introduction of new killers, so the problem will just keep growing.

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

Otz's problem is certain perks and add-ons can carry average killers to higher ranks and vice versa for survivors.

For example an average spirit player could be carried to high MMR by using 4 slowdown perks and her ring and amulet addons. Survivors can be carried to high MMR by being in a SWF with all of them using second chance perks and toolboxes with brand new parts.

Scott's problem is good survivors will only ever see nurses, spirit's, and blights cause only those 3 killers are viable at high MMR. Dracil's fighting game analogy above is a pretty good summary of the problem.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
At the very top skill levels, there's only a few killers that are actually viable. Which means if you are a good survivor, you are only going to keep seeing those same few killers for all your games. That will make the game go stale very fast, which will create a weird player ecosystem where you end up losing the ability to retain veteran skilled survivors as they get bored. Similarly, you will probably end up encountering only sweaty SWF groups using meta items and perks as a killer at high skill levels, which makes it hard to ever have chill games anymore.

The current large variance in Rank 1, while bad for MMR, also means a larger variance in playstyle, which helps keeps things fresh. Basically perfectly balanced is not the same metric as fun.

I guess the closest thing would be like you have a fighting game with 30 characters, but in high-level ranked everyone just plays the same 2-3 characters all the time because none of the other characters are viable. Theoretically you fix this by balance patches, but none of the streamers have faith in BHVR doing this in a timely manner before the playerbase dies. Especially since *singular* killer updates happen at about the same pace as the introduction of new killers, so the problem will just keep growing.
Otz's problem is certain perks and add-ons can carry average killers to higher ranks and vice versa for survivors.

For example an average spirit player could be carried to high MMR by using 4 slowdown perks and her ring and amulet addons. Survivors can be carried to high MMR by being in a SWF with all of them using second chance perks and toolboxes with brand new parts.

Scott's problem is good survivors will only ever see nurses, spirit's, and blights cause only those 3 killers are viable at high MMR. Dracil's fighting game analogy above is a pretty good summary of the problem.

Thanks. Got it. I wasn't thinking of it from the perspective of playing as a survivor.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are jumping to conclusions before the MMR has been given a fair chance.

This is mostly speculation as Behaviour hasn't said how everything is calculated and if they will even include wildcard options like random matchmaking once in awhile as a sanity check.

It could(should) be a highly complex and detailed system with lots of things in it to keep games varied and fair..

Though personally i think i would prefer no matchmaking at all after the beginner pool of yellow ranks :D even if that would mean losing most games against MLG Pro players...

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I mean that's exactly one of the points Otz had about the MMR system. Not knowing how it works. Which means, how do you know it's even working right? There was a point where Hillbilly couldn't get any matches during testing because of a bug in the MMR for the character.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's exactly one of the points Otz had about the MMR system. Not knowing how it works. Which means, how do you know it's even working right? There was a point where Hillbilly couldn't get any matches during testing because of a bug in the MMR for the character.

Which is also why we need to give it time and play for like a month and then we'll know if it works or not and is it good :D

I'm sure Behaviour doesn't want to tell too many details as then the system could be played.