• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never got around to playing SMTIII on PS2 but given DLC was not a thing for PS2 titles, presumably, he was already in the title. So this is scummy AF.

Specifically, Dante was added in to make Nocturne more popular in the West, but was later removed from the game as licensing expired and to promote the new Raidou Kuzunoha game.

(Shin Megami Tensei isn't a Capcom game, ftr)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Specifically, Dante was added in to make Nocturne more popular in the West, but was later removed from the game as licensing expired and to promote the new Raidou Kuzunoha game.

(Shin Megami Tensei isn't a Capcom game, ftr)

Not quite, Dante was added in a second rerelease of the game in Japan first (Maniax Edition) as a cross-promotion with Capcom for DMC that allowed Kaneko to design Dante's Devil Triggers for DMC3, then that second rerelease was the one we got in the US. Then when the licensing expired they swapped him out for Raidou for a third release of the game (Maniax Chronicle Edition) and never bothered releasing that version outside of Japan.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Did you all know that Raidou has his own Vergil but he isn´t a brother:
megamitensei.fandom.com

Raido Kuzunoha XIV

Raido Kuzunoha XIV is the alternate version of Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV from another world. Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army: Non-player Character Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon: Non-player Character Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS): Summoner Race...
SMT lore is as convoluted as the DC canon.
Not only that but you can fight both of them in the 3ds port of Soul Hackers.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
kinda shitty tbh. This is about what I'd expect from Atlus though, they've always been pretty aggressive about DLC.

Least Raidou is in the base game for the remaster. That's new content for those of us who never played Chronicle, so I'm happy about seeing some new content instead.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
It is. But I paid money to Atlus to shut off the fucking godawful lyrics in the battle music from Persona 5 and I'm probably going have to to pay them to get rid of Raidou. I hate the fact that they do this in every game.
You could play with Raidou and take it as a new experience, sure, Dante is rad, but Raidou is also pretty rad.

He summons demons from his game as part of his attacks, and they are just as flashy as many if Dante's skills. They also have effectively the same ability set.

Not saying you're wrong to have preferences, but if you don't wanna pay 10 bucks for what amounts to an aesthetic difference you don't really have to.

It's like Radiant Historia selling the old artstyle behind a paywall, I'm not capitulating to that shit, how dare they. I'll freaking deal with it, because I wanted to enjoy the game. I'll be pissed that they even thought that would be worth charging for, though. (Same company)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You could play with Raidou and take it as a new experience, sure, Dante is rad, but Raidou is also pretty rad.

He summons demons from his game as part of his attacks, and they are just as flashy as many if Dante's skills. They also have effectively the same ability set.

Not saying you're wrong to have preferences, but if you don't wanna pay 10 bucks for what amounts to an aesthetic difference you don't really have to.

It's like Radiant Historia selling the old artstyle behind a paywall, I'm not capitulating to that shit, how dare they. I'll freaking deal with it, because I wanted to enjoy the game. I'll be pissed that they even thought that would be worth charging for, though. (Same company)

I just don't care about him at all. I think he looks like a loser, I've never played his games, and I don't have any interest in putting the INSANE AMOUNT OF EFFORT necessary to recruit a character I give 0 shits about. The Amala Labyrinth is a shitty dungeon that's only justified by the fact that you get Dante near the end.

So like in P4 and P5 where I had to pay them to have battle music that didn't make me want to kill myself, they have me over a barrel again.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
That's some bullshit move I'm willing to let slide cause DMC. Shit.

I never played SMT3, is Dante actually a big part of the game? Is it worth it for the DMC collab (besides seemingly just being a fucking good game I wanted to try out for years now)?

That's some bullshit move I'm willing to let slide cause DMC. Shit.

I never played SMT3, is Dante actually a big part of the game? Is it worth it for the DMC collab (besides seemingly just being a fucking good game I wanted to try out for years now)?
Early on in SMT:N, you're given a choice to accept a bargain from a mysterious figure that gives you a candelabra that requires you to "light" with the souls of incredibly powerful demons known as the Fiends (who are an SMT staple) that winds up as a key to access the Amala Labyrinth, which is a massive multi-level dungeon that serves as a game-long and brutal proving ground that will eventually give you the tools and means of accessing the fifth ending of the game. As a part of that, Dante shows up through the first couple of sections of the Labyrinth to try and stop your character from advancing further into it, acting as the third area's boss. Defeating him and further advancing through the Labyrinth later on gives you the opportunity to recruit him into your party, albeit as a permanent addition that you're stuck with, so you do have to weigh that option. On the surface of all that, it sounds like he plays a massive role in the game, but he's really not present all that much and really only figures into the third area, since even before the proper fight with him, he can actually chase you around and get you involved with a toned down version of his actual fight to stop you. And as I mentioned, since it's technically an entirely optional element altogether, it is possible to play through the entire game without having to see him at all, though I'd argue that if for nothing else, accepting the candelabra is worth it just for the Fiend fights alone, for they're not only very challenging, but also unlock them for summoning and are among the best demons in the game.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I just don't care about him at all. I think he looks like a loser, I've never played his games, and I don't have any interest in putting the INSANE AMOUNT OF EFFORT necessary to recruit a character I give 0 shits about. The Amala Labyrinth is a shitty dungeon that's only justified by the fact that you get Dante near the end.

So like in P4 and P5 where I had to pay them to have battle music that didn't make me want to kill myself, they have me over a barrel again.
Does this version even have anything over just playing an emulated or original copy? I feel like if it was just the game remastered to look a little better and be playeble on current gen consoles, it really doesn't have anything I wouldn't get out of it BESIDES Raidou.

Also, I respect your decision, but I gotta reccomend the Raidou Kuzunoha PS2 games, those are amazing and are all about Demon-based Detective stuff in 1930's Japan.

It's got a great story and interesting action-rpg gameplay, and the demons you recruit can help you solve cases with their abilities. There is even a Jack Frost based on his design in-game, and the sequel is even better.

Check it out sometime if you can, I can say for sure it's a classic.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's cool that Atlus took on the licensing/VA costs to include a feature that many people remember from Nocturne. $10 is pretty steep though. And I, at least, am content with Raidou.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Wow, pretty shitty of atlus to charge for content that was previously included for free. I shudder at the conditioned atlus fans rejoicing

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, pretty shitty of atlus to charge for content that was previously included for free. I shudder at the conditioned atlus fans rejoicing

I would put this on Capcom more than anything. Capcom probably didn't give them the right to use Dante in this remaster out of the kindness of their heart. There's a reason they had to remove him from later releases of this game. Fans wanted him in the game so Atlus made the deal that they could. I guess you could argue Atlus should've eaten the cost I don't know.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I would put this on Capcom more than anything. Capcom probably didn't give them the right to use Dante in this remaster out of the kindness of their heart. There's a reason they had to remove him from later releases of this game. Fans wanted him in the game so Atlus made the deal that they could. I guess you could argue Atlus should've eaten the cost I don't know.
This isn't the first time Atlus had ripped content out or hurt their games for DLC money.

Both SMT IV and Radiant Historia's 3DS Remaster have significantly low Money given from regular content, and DLC areas that are mean't to make it pitifully easy to grind for money.

While I get the reason why this happened, I don't like it, and I don't like how Atlus keeps pulling DLC bullshit with it's games. It has hurt their credibility that they have such constant and ingrained DLC practices in their games, and I find it consistently disappointing.

Yet, they definitely have my principles in a grip, because I've been waiting a VERY long time for SMT V, and while I think speaking out about bad practices is worth dozens of lost sales in ACTUAL impact (nobody cares if you "Vote With Your Wallet," unless you actually make a statement with it,) I'm not so sure I even feel it's worth supporting this company if it keeps pulling anti-consumer nonsense...

It feels like I'm being a dingus who is waffling because I'm weighing a few dumb games out of the thousands that already exist, and I can't dispute that.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017

If Atlus didn't have the history have a history with excessive DLC, maybe? Capcom is not going to give out Dante for free and I'm sure he wasn't free for the PS2 release, yet he was still included in the base game.

This is 100% on Atlus.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
If Atlus didn't have the history have a history with excessive DLC, maybe? Capcom is not going to give out Dante for free and I'm sure he wasn't free for the PS2 release, yet he was still included in the base game.

This is 100% on Atlus.

I'm not saying Atlus doesn't have bad dlc practices or that they tried their damndest to get a better deal from Capcom but end of the day, Dante is a licensed character who has more value to Capcom in 2020 than he did in 2003 and the SEGA owned Atlus of 2020 certainly has more money to work with than the independent Atlus of 2003. So I doubt Capcom cut them any deals.

Theworld

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 6, 2020
I just don't care about him at all. I think he looks like a loser,

Next to DMC2 Dante, we all look like losers...

cbe6719645ec09282cef71cf2b6374ed.jpg

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I hate lyrics in video game music, especially when you have to hear the same song over and over again for over eighty fucking hours of game.

... but Last Surprise and Take Over are amazing. Hard disagree. P5 has a stellar OST, and the standouts are pretty much all the lyrical songs.

Muffin Awesome

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017
Man I am a sucker, I hope they release this plus an extra 5$ DLC to make an easy mode for me :)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Does this version even have anything over just playing an emulated or original copy? I feel like if it was just the game remastered to look a little better and be playeble on current gen consoles, it really doesn't have anything I wouldn't get out of it BESIDES Raidou.

There's a new easy mode, it's portable on Switch, and there's probably going to be QoL improvements. I'm guessing you'll be able to manually select skill inheritance since SMT/Persona games started doing that a few years after SMT:N which would be a HUGE improvement.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
There's a new easy mode, it's portable on Switch, and there's probably going to be QoL improvements. I'm guessing you'll be able to manually select skill inheritance since SMT/Persona games started doing that a few years after SMT:N which would be a HUGE improvement.
Good to know, thank you very much. I would hope Skill Inheritance is a thing, that always was a great QoL feature. No need to constantly refresh the screen till you got what you wanted from a fusion.

May 15, 2019
When Capcom added Vergil to DMC4 Special Edition they kept his Kaneko DT design and credit Atlus/Kaneko for the the design in the copyright info, when they could have easily just given him a new design for that form. Despite this the remaster only cost $25. I'm fine basically paying the licensing fee myself but Atlus absolutely could have eaten that cost themselves.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
You guess wrong.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Nope, it's still random.

This may be a port of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax Chronicle Edition... until it wasn´t BUT DMC still needs to credit Atlus/Kazuma Kaneko in their games to this day as he came up with Dante´s and Virgil´s Devil Triggers from DMC 3 onwards.
EZjCDK_WAAM4TfF.jpg

DMC 5´s cast is an Atlus game, etc. There are no excuses. Just Atlus being Atlus.
I don't know if this is a joke, but every game that featured Devil Triggered DMC 3 Dante and Vergil credited Atlus. Kaneko didn't design anything else other than that. The Devil Triggers DMC4 onwards are extremely different from DMC3 anyway.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

This is 100% on Atlus.
Maybe...

Given that PS2 remasters tend to be basically hacked rom's with customer emulators, I could see adding in both "versions" of the game requiring a bit of extra effort (and thus money) in addition to possible licensing issues. Also, the name "Maniax Pack" makes me wonder if there isn't something else in the DLC besides Dante. If not, why call it "Maniax Pack" instead of Dante Pack?

That said, I also remember the ludicrous cash grab that was the "Persona Dancing" games, which was something else. Like, really; how did anyone think those games were okay?

So, given Atlus. Maybe. We'll find out.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
charging 10 for content that already existed for free in the original release. This is perhaps the most wtf thing in a remaster.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing you don't have to pay additional for the superior character.

Now, if it was DLC Bayonetta... Hmmm...

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Good to know, thank you very much. I would hope Skill Inheritance is a thing, that always was a great QoL feature. No need to constantly refresh the screen till you got what you wanted from a fusion.

There's also remastered UI and full voice acting as an addition to the game. It's far more than a simple emulation.

And lol at the people whining about "charging for what was already in the game". Firstly, Atlus can't just use Dante because he was in the original - they have to pay for the license again. Secondly, they're paying for full Japanese and English voice acting for his appearances, which was not in the original game. And thirdly, that original release with Dante did not include Raidou - getting both would've meant having to buy the full game twice. Unless the remaster is $80, it plus the DLC will be plenty cheaper.