• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Source

As a note this is referring to the multiplayer mode/standalone release of the game.

"Well, we're never aggressive towards our fans!" he said. "We treat them fairly and we're friendly. So of course not--we won't be aggressive--but you can expect great things to be bought. The goal is to design monetization in a way that makes people happy to spend money. I'm not trying to be cynical or hide something; it's about creating a feeling of value."

Kicinski's comments match up with what executives from other giant game companies like EA, Take-Two, and Activision have said about their approach to microtransactions. They want to create a transaction where the consumer feels they are getting value for their money.

"Same as with our single-player games: we want gamers to be happy while spending money on our products," Kicinski said. "The same is true for microtransactions: you can expect them, of course, and [Cyberpunk 2077] is a great setting for selling things, but it won't be aggressive; it won't upset gamers but it'll make them happy--that's our goal at least."

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Monster Hunter World did MTX right. All cosmetic, and mostly stuff like outfits for the Handler, Pendants for your weapon, and stuff for your room.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Please be talking about MP only.

Imagine having to buy cosmetics for Geralt.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
They would be happier if it was free.
Well the rebuttal to that is people shouldn't work for free so if they are adding content to the game then why can't they charge for it?

With online multiplayer you have to be more careful because you do not want to split the userbase. You also shouldn't add paid content that gives players advantages. This is why cosmetic stuff is usually the way to go with premium content.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting pre-emptive strategy. I can already guarantee that people will be upset about this.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
I thought they announced they scrapped multiplayer like 5 years ago? Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought the reason was because they had trouble making it fun and wanted to pull resources to the single player?

Oct 27, 2017
They try to make games that you are happy to buy for $60. Applying the same logic to microtransactions sounds fine on paper but that's a difficult line to walk.

I'm not sure what Cyberpunk will do differently than all those other games that try to do the same. Usually microtransactions end up feeling pointless and easy to ignore. Or they are intrusive and you feel badgered into buying them for a variety of bad reasons.

Good luck to them if they can pull it off.

Bjorn

Feb 11, 2018
Denmark
Figured this was the case given they're offering the DLC for free this time.
I thought they announced they scrapped multiplayer like 5 years ago? Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought the reason was because they had trouble making it fun and wanted to pull resources to the single player?
Almost one year ago to the day:

Jan 3, 2019
ZGdfP1M.png

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Well the rebuttal to that is people shouldn't work for free so if they are adding content to the game then why can't they charge for it?

With online multiplayer you have to be more careful because you do not want to split the userbase. You also shouldn't add paid content that gives players advantages. This is why cosmetic stuff is usually the way to go with premium content.

I don't have problem with that, only don't spread the happy bullshit. Say that it'll have MTX and move on.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Cyberpunk 2077 =/= Cyberpunk MP.

Cyberpunk 2077 is the SP game and it will get the same DLC as The Witcher 3.
Cyberpunk MP is a completely new online game.

It's no different from TLOU 2 and the "MP game" being developed.

Crossing Eden
Title should be update, some people are thinking they are adding MTX to Cyberpunk 2077 and not the online MP game.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Quick, get the Witcher 3 update out there before the microtransaction news hits.

Fingers crossed its just cosmetic.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Naw there was always going to be a MP factor to the game, they just segmented it away from the SP campaign to release that first, then focus on the MP post release as another mode/addition.

IMHO, they 100% should charge for microtransactions in there if they are done well: and by the sounds, creating value is their focus: I'm all for that.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I don't have problem with that, only don't spread the happy bullshit. Say that it'll have MTX and move on.
They did back in 2019 but the problem still remains, the negativity surrounding MTX.

"You can expect that we won't change our general policy towards fair deals with gamers, so expect wise monetization and always value for money."

Cyberpunk 2077's multiplayer will be monetized wisely, CDPR says Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68910/cyberpunk-2077s-multiplayer-monetized-wisely-cdpr/index.html

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They did back in 2019 but the problem still remains, the negativity surrounding MTX.

"You can expect that we won't change our general policy towards fair deals with gamers, so expect wise monetization and always value for money."

Cyberpunk 2077's multiplayer will be monetized wisely, CDPR says Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68910/cyberpunk-2077s-multiplayer-monetized-wisely-cdpr/index.html

Value for money would be things like Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Multi million dollar corporation that exploits and benefits from crunch culture is trying to put micro transactions in a 60 dollar game? You don't say huh

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with that? I don't get it why is it a news, really. CD Projekt is a public company and to fulfill expectations of their stockholders they need to increase their revenue and profit. If they will have cosmetics in multiplayer mode and this is done purely in non-invasive way then I'm totally fine with it.

Multi million dollar corporation that exploits and benefits from crunch culture is trying to put micro transactions in a 60 dollar game? You don't say huh

No. It's not Cyberpunk 2077 that will release in November, it will be separate, standalone multiplayer title. Your description matches every AAA game company, though. And from all of them CD Projekt is actually the most consumer friendly.

As a note this is referring to the multiplayer mode of the game.

Well you should probably mention that this is not included in Cyberpunk 2077 which will release in November but standalone multiplayer title which will relase in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
People will pay for the game.

Unless this is only for additional MP content.

I'm talking about microtransactions in a MP game. Some people are turned off but it's mere existence and not if it's not obtrusive to the game at all. Look at that thread for the mount for Final Fantasy XIV which is completely cosmetics, but warranted a big response because it shouldn't cost what it cost......I mean come on.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be the rockstar approach of releasing a really good single player first and get a second wind from multiplayer. I just hope whatever CDPR have planned, it launches in a better state than GTAV and Red Dead Online.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Value for money would be things like Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine.
That has nothing to do with multiplayer though. See, there are still many who are jaded about multiplayer in general and think all the effort should be put onto the single player game instead. You will never satisfy everyone but I beleive they will do things fairly.
I read it, but MP can have big expansions too, not only SP.

Then you are splitting the community by having paid content.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sorry yall. I get the immediate reaction is paying mtx = bad but no it isn't automatically bad. We always want stuff for free but a full on multiplayer experience if it's anything like grand theft auto online (even better hopefully) needs to be maintained if it's going to be updated for months and/or years with updates of content. Saying the single player campaign wouldn't see micro transactions does not mean their recently announced game won't see it.

They've been incredibly solid with their track record of dlc and expansions with prices fhsh that are more than fair. If anybody deserves the benefit of the doubt that they're not going to price this incredibly lame its CDPR for me.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with that? I don't get it why is it a news, really. CD Projekt is a public company and to fulfill expectations of their stockholders they need to increase their revenue and profit. If they will have cosmetics in multiplayer mode and this is done purely in non-invasive way then I'm totally fine with it.

No. It's not Cyberpunk 2077 that will release in November, it will be separate, standalone multiplayer title. Your description matches every AAA game company, though. And from all of them CD Projekt is actually the most consumer friendly.
Will you not have to pay 60 dollars to access the multiplayer when it releases? It would be cool if it was f2p but I don't see it