Oct 28, 2017
This is" Expansion != DLC"
all over again
lol

CD Projekt really need to be more careful with what they saying

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Crossing Eden made serious mistake and assumed people on ERA read OPs instead of just hot posting based on title, so now people assume SP is getting MTX :D

If they keep their promise and deliver a good campaign followed by single player DLC then adding MTX to multiplayer doesn't seem so bad.
Make them like Witcher 3 expansions and you'll have many happy customers. I'm not sure I would ever be happy paying for cosmetics or other useless shit. The only kind of content I'm not too pissed about paying for are expansion packs.

Cyberpunk 2077 will get at least same amount of DLC and expansions as TW3, hinted to get even more big story expansion than TW3. Reveal for these plans is "soon" (I guess next Wire show).

CyberPunk 2077 MP isn't expected before 2022 and will be its own thing. They haven't yet decided on if it will be standalone product or add-on to the core game.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
This is the same company patching Witcher 3 to next gen instead of making you buy a remaster, they release all their games on PC without DRM (on GOG), there's no shenanigans with cross gen versions with an extra cost for next gen CP2077, they have a history of great games with great story DLC/expansions (far too rare nowadays), and these MTX aren't for single player. So yeah I kinda will give CDPR the benefit of the doubt to do multiplayer MTX tastefully until I see it.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
That's gonna be a big "no shit" from me. They are a publicly traded company who are trying to maximize their profits. Their products so far have been pretty well liked and widely considered to give you really good value for what they cost, but there's no way CDPR would completely ignore what makes other publishers so much money as they continue to grow.

You can like their games and practices (free next gen upgrades, beefy expansions, etc.) but they're still not your friends. Don't get emotionally attached to the company or develop weird ideas about how they're "pro-consumer" in a way that makes them fundamentally different from other publishers.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
"We treat them fairly and we're friendly. So of course not--we won't be aggressive--but you can expect great things to be bought. The goal is to design monetization in a way that makes people happy to spend money. I'm not trying to be cynical or hide something; it's about creating a feeling of value."
giphy.gif

This is legit some "pride and accomplishment" level of bullshit. Holy fuck lol

misho8723

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia

Are people here really so, so... ahem.. inattentive?

Cyberpunk 2077 is a massive singleplaye RPG releasing this year, which isn't going to have any sort of MTX

Cyberpunk MP is a different project and it's going to be released in 2022 - at earliest .. if it's going to be just a free addon to CP2077, if it's going to be F2P, if it's going to cost around 20,30, 50, 60 dollars? Who knows? There's almost nothing that we know about his project at this time

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"We want to make stuff that people will buy and enjoy"

oh the huge manatee

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
That's gonna be a big "no shit" from me. They are a publicly traded company who are trying to maximize their profits. Their products so far have been pretty well liked and widely considered to give you really good value for what they cost, but there's no way CDPR would completely ignore what makes other publishers so much money as they continue to grow.

You can like their games and practices (free next gen upgrades, beefy expansions, etc.) but they're still not your friends. Don't get emotionally attached to the company or develop weird ideas about how they're "pro-consumer" in a way that makes them fundamentally different from other publishers.
This. CDPR has decided to market themselves as "the good guys", which for the most part they seem to have lived up to. But it's a precarious line to walk as a publicly traded company, their investors are inevitably going to demand they maximize profit. The pushback from CDPR doing stuff like micro transactions will be much more severe because they've gone so hard with their "good guy" image that stuff like this can be seen as a betrayal.

Lol this feels like they're using a loophole. "Technically we didn't break our promise, it's not Cyberpunk 2077 that has monetization its Cyberpunk MP!"

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Blamming the news when the info came directly from the company president is petty as hell lol, I don't think CB2077 single-player will have any MTX, but if he(CD's president) didn't specified if he was talking about the SP or MP mode(or game?), what the hell was people supposed to do?
I even think that the article was wrong in making the assumption that he was talking(only) about the MP mode.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Sounds like a good plan. Free Singelplayer DLC and MTX for the Multiplayer that comes later.

But im not surprised that some people already have their gAmEr sEnSe tingling just because they hear the word microtransaction and stop any logical thinking like true Gamers with a capital G.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This feels like they're using a loophole. "Technically we didn't break our promise, it's not Cyberpunk 2077 that has monetization its Cyberpunk MP!"

Loophole? They always announced CP2077 as a standalone and SP game only and the MP was a separate product since the beginning.

There is no loophole, only people that can't tell the difference between two separate games.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
This is the rockstar approach

make an all time GOAT tier single player experience, leave em wanting more, people become invested in the online mode.

I'm definitely hyped for Cyberpunk Online.

Deleted member 60989

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Witcher 3 and DLC (singleplayer, no MTX) + Gwent (free to play, MTX).
CP2077 and DLC (singleplayer, no MTX) + CP multiplayer (not sure if F2P or CP2077 required, MTX).

I think this is the plan.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This. CDPR has decided to market themselves as "the good guys", which for the most part they seem to have lived up to. But it's a precarious line to walk as a publicly traded company, their investors are inevitably going to demand they maximize profit. The pushback from CDPR doing stuff like micro transactions will be much more severe because they've gone so hard with their "good guy" image that stuff like this can be seen as a betrayal.

Lol this feels like they're using a loophole. "Technically we didn't break our promise, it's not Cyberpunk 2077 that has monetization its Cyberpunk MP!"

Some of you lol... just ridiculous takes. There's a ton of legit criticisms to aim at CDPR, this shit ain't it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Blamming the news when the info came directly from the company president is petty as hell lol, I don't think CB2077 single-player will have any MTX, but if he(CD's president) didn't specified if he was talking about the SP or MP mode(or game?), what the hell was people supposed to do?
I even think that the article was wrong in making the assumption that he was talking(only) about the MP mode.

Here is how question was asked and answered, from official transcript of investor call. Question was specifically about MP.

Q2: Good morning. The first question is on digital vs physical. Is it still the case that you're expecting for the launch quarter a roughly 50:50 physical/digital split, and how do you see that going into Q1 2021? The second question: when would you normally think about discounting the price, either for Christmas 2021 sale, or would you do a summer sale? When would you move towards a discounted price for the game? And finally – when you launch the multiplayer, how aggressive do you want to be on monetization of multiplayer? Thank you.

AK: And the third one – Adam Kiciński again – well, we're never aggressive towards our fans! We treat them fairly and we're friendly. So of course not – we won't be aggressive – but you can expect great things to be bought. The goal is to design monetization in a way that makes people happy to spend money. I'm not trying to be cynical or hide something; it's about creating a feeling of value. Same as with our single-player games: we want gamers to be happy while spending money on our products. The same is true for microtransactions: you can expect them, of course, and CP is a great setting for selling things, but it won't be aggressive; it won't upset gamers but it'll make them happy – that's our goal at least.
Source: https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/09/conf-call-h1-2020_en.pdf

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
I can imagine their approach to the Cyberpunk franchise to be somewhat comparable to what they did with the Witcher.

SP game release. Some game updates with fixes/QoL features. Paid SP DLCs. At the same time prepare early access for MP offshoot. Maybe release it standalone at a low price or f2p.

Can't see a modern, long lasting MP game with a healthy user base being tacked on to a AAA SP game at the usual price point in a post Fortnite/Apex/Modern Warfare era.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Oof, I stand corrected then, I still don't think it was a clickbait tho.

That headline and short synopsis is pretty HC clickbait as either don't even mention it being about MP component that comes later. To me clear intention is to give impression that MTX is coming to the SP component, especially as MP component is still so little known about by larger gamer sphere.

There clearly has been some damage from these kind bait as official account and CM's are out in force now stomping on this.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017

So they were making fun of EA and other publishers with MTXs in their Multiplayer games, acting that they are above that..... so they can announce that their own MP game will also have MTXs just a year later.

But I guess they are saying that "our MTXs will make people happy to pay for them" and that "we'll be consumer friendly and non-aggressive, just trust us" so all is forgiven.

I'm sure if you ask EA's president about their MTXs he'd say that they are really predatory and not worth the value at all. We all know that the presidents of these huge companies are always looking out for us and they never ever lie about anything. Especially not when it comes to the monetization of their games.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
So they were making fun of EA and other publishers with MTXs in their Multiplayer games, acting that they are above that..... so they can announce that their own MP game will also have MTXs just a year later.

But I guess they are saying that "our MTXs will make people happy to pay for them" and that "we'll be consumer friendly and non-aggressive, just trust us" so all is forgiven.

I'm sure if you ask EA's president about their MTXs he'd say that they are really predatory and not worth the value at all. We all know that the presidents of these huge companies are always looking out for us and they never ever lie about anything. Especially not when it comes to the monetization of their games.

You clearly don't know anything about EA's microtransactions when you compare cosmetics to what EA does. They have games which are basically gambling machines like FIFA or their microtransactions block some crucial content like characters etc.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
You clearly don't know anything about EA's microtransactions when you compare cosmetics to what EA does. They have games which are basically gambling machines like FIFA or their microtransactions block some crucial content like characters.
That is exactly why I compared it to EA. Cause if you go ask EA about their MTXs and the crap they pull, they are gonna make it sound like the players are thrilled to pay them more money in their answer.

So yea, hanging on the words of the president of a huge company about how "they are gonna be non-aggressive" with their monetization, is pretty naive.

This especially rings hollow after they were making fun of MTXs in multiplayer games just last year.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
That is exactly why I compared it to EA. Cause if you go ask EA about their MTXs and the crap they pull, they are gonna make it sound like the players are thrilled to pay them more money in their answer.

So yea, hanging on the word of the president of a huge company about how "they are gonna be non-aggressive" with their monetization, is pretty naive.

That's not what you wrote. What I got from your post is that you basically put an equation between CDPR's way of doing MTX and EA's - the difference is that CDPR has better PR. We don't know how it will turn out but I believe this will be done in the most consumer friendly way it's possible.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Idk why anyone would spend money on cosmetics in a FPS game. I'd take a third person mode over some delayed online mode.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what you wrote. What I got from your post is that you basically put an equation between CDPR's way of doing MTX and EA's - the difference is that CDPR has better PR. We don't know how it will turn out but I believe this will be done in the most consumer friendly way it's possible.
You are right, CDPR has better PR so they can sell this bs better, but what I was trying to say in my original post, is that every PR statement from these companies will try to make their monetization look as appealing and consumer friendly as possible. So people shouldn't be so ready to believe whatever they say in their PR.

Again, just this past year these guys were making fun of MP games having MTXs while trying to make themselves look like they are above that.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Is it a loophole when they internally treat these as two fully independent projects?
Bluntly? Yes. They did all those tweets about "leaving greed to others" and mocking the very idea of microtransactions, they were idiots if they thought this wouldn't cause pushback. I don't mind MP having microtransactions, I've never bought any and I won't now, but this is going to piss people off. It's not what people expect from "Good Guy CDPR, Saviors of Gaming". W3 is the GOAT of this gen for me and I'm excited for Cyberpunk, so I'm not one of those people who have been eagerly waiting for them to fuck up so I could pounce on them. Gwent already had MT as well so it's not a first from them either. Just saying that stuff like this conflicts with their PR image and will cause pushback.

Just to be clear: I don't expect their MT to be anywhere near as bad/invasive as EA or Activision. But having any MTs will be viewed as a "betrayal" by some corners. Not me though, CDPR is simply a dev who makes games I enjoy, nothing more.

Sloth

Nov 27, 2017
By the time the MP comes out, someone might have figured a new way to empty gamers wallets anyway. I'll wait and see.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Their Twitter game has been bad in the past few months. They try too hard.

Still, they are right when they say they've been treating me as a costumer with resprect. More so than most of the other big developers or publishers in the game. Till that changes they have some credit in my books.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Is Night City the expected location of Cyberpunk Multiplayer and are they reusing assets and systems? Perhaps there are new locations, but I can't imagine them not leveraging what was already built.

If so, it sounds like their GTA Online to their GTA 5.

I don't doubt they will have fair microtransaction, but all of that "no mtx here guis" continues to feel like they are trying too hard to win wholesome awards.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Yes, your post certainly did age well. /s

I'm sure anyone can find issues if they dig deep enough. The single player game will be huge, if it's not worth your $60 then don't buy it, simple as that. The online is a seperate project, this is not an online game with single player campaign added on.