• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
So, don't know if this is the place for this, but have any of the sidequests had the kind of impact that "The Bloody Baron" had? It wasn't great, in that it felt that it was trying to get you to sympathize with an abuser, but it felt like it was trying to contend with some fairly serious and difficult topics. And in general, it felt like most of The Witcher 3's sidequests had you confronting the larger social order as much as anything, dealing with characters who had been "othered" and those who would try to take advantage of that. Even the basic premise seems more punk in retrospect, Geralt almost always positioned as an outsider who was viewed with skepticism and contempt.

Any quest in 2077 stick out, or is it just a thin justification to collect 10 dildos or kill 20 guys?

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So, don't know if this is the place for this, but have any of the sidequests had the kind of impact that "The Bloody Baron" had. It wasn't great, in that it felt that it was trying to get you to sympathize with an abuser, but it felt like it was trying to contend with some fairly serious and difficult topics. And in general, it felt like most of The Witcher 3's sidequests had you confronting the larger social order as much as anything, dealing with characters who had been "othered" and those who would try to take advantage of that. Even the basic premise seems more punk in retrospect, Geralt almost always positioned as an outsider who viewed with skepticism and contempt.

Any quest in 2077 stick out, or is it just a thin justification to collect 10 dildos or kill 20 guys?
Gamespot review covers this quite well from what I can see: https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/cyberpunk-2077-review/1900-6417622/

NinjaMuffin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm like 7 hours in and man and with every passing moment the hype for this game just seems more absurd. Like you'd think after a couple of delays they would pump the brakes on the marketing. At least try to lower expectations a little but nope, full steam ahead this is the best game ever made it'll buy your mum a new house, cure cancer etc.

Like, I'm having fun, but the game feels unfinished no matter what settings I use, visual glitches and bugs everywhere. Honestly pretty stunned the studio who did Witcher 3 made this.

The tone of the narrative and missions so far also absolutely does not match the marketing, and the ads everywhere do just feel juvenile. Nothing (literally nothing) would've been lost if the ads were toned down. Anyway slightly off-topic I guess just thought I'd give my thoughts.

If anyone who hasn't/doesn't want to buy the game has specific questions please feel free to ask.

100% agree with this.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, don't know if this is the place for this, but have any of the sidequests had the kind of impact that "The Bloody Baron" had? It wasn't great, in that it felt that it was trying to get you to sympathize with an abuser, but it felt like it was trying to contend with some fairly serious and difficult topics. And in general, it felt like most of The Witcher 3's sidequests had you confronting the larger social order as much as anything, dealing with characters who had been "othered" and those who would try to take advantage of that. Even the basic premise seems more punk in retrospect, Geralt almost always positioned as an outsider who was viewed with skepticism and contempt.

i don't remember, was the bloody baron a sidequest? i feel like it was main story stuff.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I haven't really been interested in the game due to CDPR, but since Jeff was one of the more critical voices on the game, I watched GiantBomb's Cyberpunk Quick Look. It's amazing that the game which supposedly is "worth" the ableism/transphobia/etc. looks like... a jankier version of Deus Ex.

Like to be explicitly clear, I don't think that even remotely a game's quality would ever excuse transphobia, ableism nor cultural appropriation, I just think that even if you'd somehow isolate the game from all of that toxic ass shit, it still just doesn't look like a good game.

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020

I don't want to spoil anything but yes there are, and I'm really enjoying one right now and I wonder how it will turn out based on my decisions.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
i don't remember, was the bloody baron a sidequest? i feel like it was main story stuff.

Bloody Baron was mainline; don't think you could really go around it.

It's only two days so far so can't make any big sweeping statements about how the quests play out but so far, really enjoying the dialogue options and finding there's some nuances - Like certain character stats will play into options you have or your start path will give additional contextual options during both main story and sidequest sequences. Most of the focus has been on corp vs punk type stuff. All the sexual ads / imagery are background noise but definitely 'in your face'. It's like that episode of Black Mirror where the protagonist is stuck riding a bike for money and is forced to watch ads or pay extra to avoid them.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Dunno, still just outside the prologue but the side quests just haven't had as good a writing and characters so far as early TW3. Even in White Orchard there were some fantastic side quests with great characters, I'm outside the prologue and just exploring in Act 2 and so far the side quests I've taken have been pretty basic, nothing has stood out.

Bloody Baron was mainline; don't think you could really go around it.

It's only two days so far so can't make any big sweeping statements about how the quests play out but so far, really enjoying the dialogue options and finding there's some nuances - Like certain character stats will play into options you have or your start path will give additional contextual options during both main story and sidequest sequences. Most of the focus has been on corp vs punk type stuff. All the sexual ads / imagery are background noise but definitely 'in your face'. It's like that episode of Black Mirror where the protagonist is stuck riding a bike for money and is forced to watch ads or pay extra to avoid them.

Bloody Baron is a main quests but concludes as a side quest. Once you get the information you need out of him, you can leave and never speak to him again. The conclusion of his story is a side mission.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Folx, I understand you want a place to discuss the game, but let's be careful to not hijack this thread. It's important to keep it focused on the discussion it was meant to have.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Looking at this game's metacritic page and the perfect scores is actually hilarious.

PLAY! Zine - "It's buggy and flawed on many technical (but very fixable) levels" - 100
God is Greek - "Despite a few flaws..." - 100
Gamespew - "Cyberpunk 2077 isn't perfect, but it is ambitious" - 100

Do we really need to expect perfect scores to happen to games like this now on metacritic? a perfect score is now given to games that have amazing ideas but aren't amazingly executed? "It's the thought that counts. it'll probably be corrected later - 100" is how many of these reviews read.

Perfect scores used to be given to much more polished games. It's actually hilarious to read some perfect reviews and realize how i've never read "perfect scores" like this before.

Like, i know no game is "perfect". But it's so damn clear so many reviews are not talking about the real issues here and still give this a 100 when it doesn't deserve it.

I wonder how low the game will go once the 2nd wave of reviews is released. It's already at 90. No way EDGE gives this a 10. If they have bonuses tied to a 90 or better metascore then they will be disappointed.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
It has so much potential in the sequel which will fix all the issues. 100/100 game therefore!

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised that there isn't mode backlash over the performance in the console versions. Like, I get that the more toxic contingent of the fandom gets a free antialiasing effect caused by their incel tears blurring their vision. However, just watching the videos of PS4/XboneS gameplay makes me motion sick. I'd be outraged over paying $60 to be in a beta test.
I imagine its like how Digital Foundry said, people know the PS5 and Series X are here so they just willingly accept the 15fps with a Vaseline smeared screen

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Folx, I understand you want a place to discuss the game, but let's be careful to not hijack this thread. It's important to keep it focused on the discussion it was meant to have.
Sorry, I'm out of the loop. Just logged in on my lunch break and saw the OT was closed and people were posting here.

I guess the game itself became a banned topic?

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
User Banned (Permanent): Concern trolling in a thread about transphobia; prior severe ban for ableism.
Sorry, I'm out of the loop. Just logged in on my lunch break and saw the OT was closed and people were posting here.

I believe the idea is to make Cyberpunk 2077 fans feel like second class citizens for a day as they're not allowed to have a separate PC performance thread like usual or any other threads about it. To that end, I feel the forum moderators have been successful.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty disheartening to see this thread basically become a pseudo cyberpunk OT in place of the currently locked OT. Playing Cyberpunk 2077 and talking about it's gameplay mechanics is supporting cyberpunk 2077, whether you bought it with your own money or you're playing it on your friend's account or whatever your excuse is. Giving Cyberpunk 2077 mindshare today is not what we should be doing today.

Today the cyberpunk OT is closed for a reason. I think we should avoid talking about Cyberpunk outside of the obvious issues regarding transphobia in and around the game.

The game is not banned, but the OT has been closed for the day. It will reopen tomorrow. The explanation is there in a mod post if you wish to educate yourself. That mod post also makes it clear they would not like us to hijack other thread to talk about cyberpunk today.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

It will be reopened tomorrow
I believe the idea is to make Cyberpunk 2077 fans feel like second class citizens for a day as they're not allowed to have a separate PC performance thread like usual or any other threads about it. To that end, I feel the forum moderators have been successful.
Holy crap! You're not a victim.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Imagine trying to compare not being able to talk about a video game to being treated like less than a human.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The scrutiny this thread - hell, this whole site - receives from certain sectors is really fucking weird. I had no idea quite how bad it was, especially for the trans community. Holy hell.

Like, imagine creepily scouring posts on a completely different messageboard for 'gotchas' and then feeling somehow morally superior. The lack of self-awareness is... it genuinely baffles me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Playing Cyberpunk 2077 and talking about it's gameplay mechanics is supporting cyberpunk 2077, whether you bought it with your own money or you're playing it on your friend's account or whatever your excuse is.
You're right that we should avoid talking about gameplay as much as we can, but this part is not okay, actually. Trans, non-binary, and other gender fluid people are playing the game and don't need to be shamed for it. This is actually stipulated in the OP and the staff post.

Please don't talk down to them.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It was originally to recognise the role that transphobic media plays in the abuse and violence that trans people face. Being persistently viewed as unnatural, disposable, frivolous, beasts and the like has a direct connection to this harm.

The game would have released a day prior to the trans day of remembrance so the thread would have been closed in recognition of that. As the game was delayed staff decided to uphold this to continue to draw attention to this matter. This is a thread where you can find more information on statistics and the day in general.

If you feel like a second class citizen because of the loss of a forum thread to discuss the PC version of a game, perhaps take a moment to browse that thread and this one to consider why the actions of companies like CDPR make others feel like second class humans and how that can relate to the violence trans people face each year.

Last edited:

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Can't talk about a problematic game for one day on one website across the infinite expanse of the internet.
Clearly I am a second class citizen.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
'make Cyberpunk 2077 fans feel like second class citizens for a day' sure is a sentence.

Tell me - are you feeling oppressed?

Imagine that, just x1000 worse, everyday.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just wanted to say in lieu of shouting drunken profanities at people without the wit to read an OT or claiming to feel "second class"...

He comes to save the day in a broken truck, With a stinky denim jacket on his back, He couldn't help this crying about transphobic companies games which really sucked, But, at least we didn't have to see him... play... hacky-sack.

A Reminder

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is absolutely NOT for discussion about CyberPunk 2077 gameplay impressions, hardware issues, or anything else like that. The thread title nor the OP has anything to do with those things, as you can obviously tell this thread is about CDPR's history of transphobia. Anyone using this thread to talk about CP 2077's gameplay will eat a hefty ban, this is absolutely the wrong thread for it. The CyberPunk 2077 thread was locked for a SINGLE DAY to honor a commitment about locking the OT in honor of trans day of remembrance, which fell the day after it's original release date. It will be reopened tomorrow. You can last one day without a thread about the game.

Chrisahc

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
It was originally to recognise the role that transphobic media plays in the abuse and violence that trans people face. Being persistently viewed as unnatural, disposable, frivolous, beasts and the like has a direct connection this harm.

The game would have released a day prior to the trans day of remembrance so the thread would have been closed in recognition of that. As the game was delayed staff decided to uphold this to continue to draw attention to this matter. This is a thread where you can find more information on statistics and the day in general.

If you feel like a second class citizen because of the loss of a forum thread to discuss the PC version of a game, perhaps take a moment to browse that thread and this one to consider why the actions of companies like CDPR make others feel like second class humans and how that can relate to the violence trans people face each year.

This may be cross-thread, but what the hell is going on in Brazil? Disgusting.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh, I've been veering into talking about mechanics just chatting with thread regulars, but we definitely should be keeping that out, especially stating any kind of praise for them.

Apologies.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the idea is to make pancake fans feel like second class citizens for a day as they're not allowed to have a separate maple syrup performance thread like usual or any other threads about it. To that end, I feel the waffle moderators have been successful.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I know they are banned already anyway, but HOLY SHIT at this post.

This game has just been revealing of a lot of people in unfortunate ways.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I hope that the talk of problematic elements (in the content, not the gameplay) is welcome as the game did show not only transphobia but also a lack of accessibility and brutal depictions of other minorities

And I cringe at the fact that people expect trans people to be righteous crusaders. LGBTQAI people (just like all minorities, there's no race here) is normal people who deserve to enjoy their life just as much as everyone else. Videogames are quite important to many in our community.

Honestly I don't personally care if you play the game or not as long as you're aware of the strings it comes with. At least try not to tip the karma to pieces of shit.

Yeh, I've been veering into talking about mechanics just chatting with thread regulars, but we definitely should be keeping that out, especially stating any kind of praise for them.

Apologies.

Also my apologies, though I will say to people who read our posts that all of us are also players and users and generally fans of videogames - they can depict us as monsters as much as they want but we don't care

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just wanted to say in lieu of shouting drunken profanities at people without the wit to read an OT or claiming to feel "second class"...

He comes to save the day in a broken truck, With a stinky denim jacket on his back, He couldn't help this crying about transphobic companies games which really sucked, But, at least we didn't have to see him... play... hacky-sack.

Excellent 👍

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Here is where I've landed on the issue of CDPR's storytelling ability with this game and how it handles these issues. I'm coming at this as a straight cis guy who loves stories and looks to them to help inform his worldview and give him insight into people from different groups and cultures. I truly believe that storytelling is one of the greatest ways to tear down those boundaries. I'm an English teacher, so I love to find those kind of stories and analyze how they work, and share them with my students and show them how to break them down themselves. Cyberpunk is a total missed opportunity in terms of these regards considering the original intent of the setting and what they've done with it here. So that being said, here's my take:

It's completely and totally tonally dissonant. They've actually done some interesting things and handled parts of the main storyline fairly well. Characters seem fairly nuanced once you start getting to know them, and there are some clear themes that are being developed in a "competent video game story" kind of way. If you just look to the main storyline, CDPR comes off as a company with good storytellers.

The way they present the world, the advertising (both in and out of game), the way they want you to get 'immersed' in it by just walking around and showing you things... it's totally different. A lot of people are going to argue that "it's to show you the dystopian future and they intend for it to feel juvenile/corporate/'insert adjective here' to contrast with the more serious story"... but, the thing is, the story shows you they COULD have addressed these issues and handled them well. They CHOOSE not to. Instead, it's "here's our dystopian transphobic and sexist world and it just exists as a backdrop for the story we WANT to tell". They could have easily taken that aspect out of the game's world completely, because there's no message to be said about them in the game besides how they stand on their own. Including those ads and presenting the world in this way just serves to present all the negativity associated with them with no counter to it. The best possible defense you could give them is "tacit complicity". In reality, there's not really any defense.

There are other issues too, but that's how I feel things are when it comes to this company and how they've treated issues of gender and sexuality, especially trans issues.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I haven't watched any streams of this game from twitch streamers , other briefly looking at the Negaoryx stream on the launch day (LGBTQIA streamer), where she spent way too long trying to defend playing this game on stream in response to the transphopbia accusations, and framing it as a learning experience for people watching so that she can call out any missteps that occur . Obviously worth mentioning she is in the game as an advertisement.

I don't buy that line of reasoning at all. As an openly queer streamer, a significant amount of her audience may be directly affected by the transphobia, and they certainly don't need to see it time and time again in this game.

sounds like what hasan was saying