• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really just want Order of Ecclesia which I'm guessing won't be in this collection. Carts for that game are super expensive these days & there's no digital version.

Light-Cloud

Apr 3, 2021
I hope this is real. I would love a collection with the GBA games. It'd be awesome if it included the DS games as well and they could throw in Harmony of Despair too for good measure.

OP
OP
BY2K

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
Unless confirmed otherwise, I would really advice against assuming/hoping that the DS games are included.

The entire GBA and DS selection of Castlevania games is kinda big. I would assume Konami would prefer to split both.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I hope this is announced soon (like, this month). I can't wait to replay these.

Also announce a new game based on the Netflix series while you're at it! 🙏🏼

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Dual Audio? Don't the GBA games use Japanese voice clips regardless of region?

That only makes sense if the DS games are included as well.
Yo holy shit. Damn I'm getting ahead of myself but it has to be the case, I remember playing PoR in both En and Jp back in the day being surprised they even had the option. GBA games definitely don't unless they're going in and adding English voice clips to the GBA games lol.

Aronleon

Apr 9, 2020
I thought Dawn of Sorrow was the only one that had that shit with the seals?
In terms of the main game, yes and you need the stylus to remove blocks in like 2 rooms and thats it. Portrait has a bonus mode with 2 characters that is all about using the stylus so that makes 2 games, I think Order might have something as a bonus feature but not sure.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Unless confirmed otherwise, I would really advice against assuming/hoping that the DS games are included.

The entire GBA and DS selection of Castlevania games is kinda big. I would assume Konami would prefer to split both.
hey, the last collection had EIGHT games

some of them were bad games, but that's beside the point

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wanna echo this. HoD I think is too maligned, it's rough around the edges sure, but I don't think it's any worse than CoTM.
It's actually a looker too, just has a horrible rep from being seen with raw pixels so much.
4bIk26P.jpeg

Speaking of, I really hope they can try to do something about the brightness/add an appropriate filter and do something to address the audio quality.
I agree. From what I heard, it was originally meant to be the follow-up to SotN and was going to be on the PS1. It would've been nice to see a remake of it with SotN-grade visual flair and audio quality. I think that would make it more palatable for a lot of people.
Yeah, what Harmony of Dissonance needs the most imo, is better audio quality. It is one of the worse sounding GBA games, which is saying something. It's a shame because I think the soundtrack is super interesting (and makes use of the "dissonance" mentionned in the title, which can make it a hard sell, especially if the sound is atrocious. But I believe it could be reevaluated as a truly great entry. I really liked the characters and areas in that one, it could be pretty hellish and unsettling.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Also pretty weird to see Konami being better in making the Castlevania catalogue available than Square is with Final Fantasy.

I thought Dawn of Sorrow was the only one that had that shit with the seals?
The touchscreen situation in Portrait of Ruin is... complicated. The main story and one of the bonus character modes don't use the touchscreen at all, but the other unlockable character mode is entirely touchscreen driven, so that would be pretty damn complicated to try and figure out and may even need to get dropped from the game entirely if it's just not workable for anything other than Switch in handheld mode. OoE is safe, though, and would honestly be just fine with having the second screen act as an on-screen map/bestiary in the upper right corner.

SupremeBum01

Apr 5, 2021
Unfortunately emulating the DS games would require a lot more work. Konami is continuing their 'lowest lift' approach which means they will almost definitely stick with the GBA games. If it sells really well they could consider doing another collection, but don't count on it.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Just bought Castlevania Collection, so YES!!! Hope to see all the games arriving on modern platforms, even the 3D ones.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Symphony Of The Night is on Xbox. I don't see why it can't come to Switch.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/castlevania-sotn/bstm3283756m
It's possibly a weird licensing issue.
Symphony of the Night on 360 uses the original PSX dub/translation, while the recent PS4 port uses the updated PSP dub/translation - and apparently Konami had Sony's help with the port.

Porting SotN to the Switch (and PC) does seem like an obvious choice though, doesn't it?
But I'd really prefer that it was based on the original PSX release than the PSP version.
Or, ideally, an updated version with enhancements like widescreen support.

To those hoping for a DS collection, how? Wouldn't they have to rework those games considerably due to the dual screen/touch screen aspects. DoS, in particular, where you had to trace the seal to defeat bosses?
This also makes me want a Castlevania 3D Collection, which consists of Castlevania 64, Legacy of Darkness, Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness.
There's already a romhack to bypass the touchscreen interactions in Dawn of Sorrow.
Figuring out a way to make the dual screens work may be a bit more complex for a commercially-released product. It's easy enough to work around in emulators.

Man I hope they have the DS games too. I know it won't happen but still.
As good as the games are, I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy gba games blown up to a big 4k screen
GBA games can still look good today, with the right filters.
One of the problems I recall running into, though, was that Aria of Sorrow has some rooms with flickering backgrounds and they look really bad on a TV with fast response times.
The GBA screen's slow response times blended them to more of a fade effect than a flicker. Even shaders intended to simulate that effect did not help.

castlevania-ariaofsorhnjbv.png
castlevania-ariaofsorb4jhk.png

castlevania-ariaofsorg6jyo.png
castlevania-ariaofsorp8jbk.png

castlevania-ariaofsorloj9v.png
castlevania-ariaofsorfpkg1.png

I think these were taken with a CRT Guest/Venom shader preset I was working on.
They may not be to everyone's taste, but it's an example of what a shader can do with the GBA artwork.

lol wtf kind of thread is that
I think it was a reaction to a similar Final Fantasy thread, but yeah, it was weird.

Next thread - Do you like where F-Zero is at right now?
Well done. That hurts almost as much as the original thread.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I certainly hope this is true. I've been wanting a GBA CV Collection to play on consoles for ages now, and it'd be great if it was actually/finally happening! It's kind of funny, but CV games were always the first games I bought for my Nintendo handhelds, and usually the main reason I'd buy a Nintendo handheld in the first place. I bought a GBA for Circle of the Moon, as at the time, I had no interest in anything else that was on it lol

Being able to play Circle of the Moon (I have no idea where my cartridge disappeared to :( ), Harmony of Dissonance, and Aria of Sorrow on my PS5 would be amazing!

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Thinking about this... As Konami is very nice with pricing for those things, I'd rather have 2 collections for $19,99 each than a single one for $39,99 for a simple reason: 2 platinum trophies.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Holy shit, is this finally, really happening? That one recent thread about being fine with where the series is at now summoned this into existence lmao. No matter what combo of games it is from the handhelds, this is going to be a definite buy for me. GBA + DS would be nice, but even just the GBA games are worth a collection for sure (Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow hype, but even Harmony of Dissonance is decent even if the music is hilarious), and maybe DS ones would be later down the road with minor adjustments.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Symphony Of The Night is on Xbox. I don't see why it can't come to Switch.

Buy Castlevania: SOTN | Xbox

Dracula’s castle has risen again and it’s up to the mysterious Alucard to face Dracula and save the world from his nocturnal embrace. Discover hidden rooms, flight dangerous enemies and equip hundreds of weapons to uncover the secret behind Dracula’s power before it’s too late.

The Requiem port won't come as it was made with assistance from Sony (and using their technology). Konami would have to issue a new port for it to come to switch, but other than that there's nothing that would impede the game from coming to any other platform.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
I am so down for this, but I also hope they do the same with the DS games as I haven't played those yet. Not really sure if there's a workaround for the touch screen stuff, though.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If they don't include the DS games, I wonder if there's any sort of bonus games they'd put in instead to boost it. Whether that's the WiiWare game or that Konami cart racer with Dracula on GBA…

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's possibly a weird licensing issue.
Symphony of the Night on 360 uses the original PSX dub/translation, while the recent PS4 port uses the updated PSP dub/translation - and apparently Konami had Sony's help with the port.

Porting SotN to the Switch (and PC) does seem like an obvious choice though, doesn't it?
But I'd really prefer that it was based on the original PSX release than the PSP version.
Or, ideally, an updated version with enhancements like widescreen support.

There's already a romhack to bypass the touchscreen interactions in Dawn of Sorrow.
Figuring out a way to make the dual screens work may be a bit more complex for a commercially-released product. It's easy enough to work around in emulators.

GBA games can still look good today, with the right filters.
One of the problems I recall running into, though, was that Aria of Sorrow has some rooms with flickering backgrounds and they look really bad on a TV with fast response times.
The GBA screen's slow response times blended them to more of a fade effect than a flicker. Even shaders intended to simulate that effect did not help.

castlevania-ariaofsorhnjbv.png
castlevania-ariaofsorb4jhk.png

castlevania-ariaofsorg6jyo.png
castlevania-ariaofsorp8jbk.png

castlevania-ariaofsorloj9v.png
castlevania-ariaofsorfpkg1.png

I think these were taken with a CRT Guest/Venom shader preset I was working on.
They may not be to everyone's taste, but it's an example of what a shader can do with the GBA artwork.

I think it was a reaction to a similar Final Fantasy thread, but yeah, it was weird.

Well done. That hurts almost as much as the original thread.

yeah I have been really impressed with how these typical collections have been including decent filters. Even the NG pocket color games on switch have a nice look to them.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've still not played Harmony of Dissonance so I'm in for that almost certainly mediocre outing

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
No reason to expect the DS games when it's called the Castlevania Advance Collection. I'd imagine it'd just include the three GBA games, and some extras like interviews and artwork and stuff.

Personally, I'm totally fine with just getting the GBA games for this next collection. And maybe, if it does well, they'll find a way to port the DS games too, and adapt the touch screen functionality of those games accordingly. It's Konami, so I can't imagine them really wanting to invest in that level of work at the moment, so I wouldn't expect DS games anytime soon.

Well, I've still not played Harmony of Dissonance so I'm in for that almost certainly mediocre outing

Honestly, I loved Harmony of Dissonance. Aria of Sorrow is still my favorite of the GBA CV's, but HoD was really good, I thought. I had no idea that others didn't like it until I came to forums like this one, but I personally liked it a lot. I know I wouldn't call it mediocre by a longshot. The only thing that I probably didn't care much for was the soundtrack, which I felt was very limited compared to other games in the series, but the gameplay was fun enough to me.

Last edited: