TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
If M2's working on this, I really hope they make some sort of silly, but welcome additional content.

Like playable Hugh in CoTM or some shit. It's the only CV GBA game without an unlockable character, even though those other modes are pretty great. While they're at it, making those modes available from the start would be great.
The latter I would think is reasonable, as that would likely just be fooling around with the code a bit to make the unlocks available at the start.

Hugh, on the other hand? Even if he shares some sprites with Nathan, I don't know if there's enough there to make for a full character. But maybe M2 could surprise...and if Konami paid them enough.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Vampire Hunter not Killer. And the dad is named Morris, but it's his first name not his last. And it takes place in a castle that's like Castlevania, but not Castlevania. 🤣 It really seems like that game got its story changed before release to not be related to Bloodlines in any way. Then Iga was like, die monster you don't belong in this world!

Unless I'm mistaken, CotM was the only GBA Castlevania game to not alter its translation. HoD gets messy with Dracula Wraith and they straight up Americanize Soma Cruz, among other things. I think those are bigger issues, and that's before considering they're "main" games.

The first thing I'd be hoping for in this collection is a retranslation of HoD and AoS, but I'm absolutely certain that's not happening.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken, CotM was the only GBA Castlevania game to not alter its translation. HoD gets messy with Dracula Wraith and they straight up Americanize Soma Cruz, among other things. I think those are bigger issues, and that's before considering they're "main" games.

The first thing I'd be hoping for in this collection is a retranslation of HoD and AoS, but I'm absolutely certain that's not happening.

I don't understand why you're telling me this stuff about translations. What does my post have to do with translations?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So no DS games? I mean Im down for this day one, and I hope they do a DS collecton next but its kinda weird to split them up like that. Mega Man Zero/ZX collection is what a good-ass GBA/DS collection should look like.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Well we were talking about story, and that reminded me that CotM was the only title of the three to come out unscathed. :p
Oh. Well, do you think CotM might have been a Bloodlines sequel at some point?

So no DS games? I mean Im down for this day one, and I hope they do a DS collecton next but its kinda weird to split them up like that. Mega Man Zero/ZX collection is what a good-ass GBA/DS collection should look like.

MMZXLC didn't have the best games in the MM series, but it was the best of the Legacy collections in terms of value and emulation features. I thought they did a good job with the DS games.

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean I can finally play Aria on Switch/PC?

Day 1 if so. Hoping for a DS collection later in the future, though I don't know how they'll handle the touch screen stuff.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Harmony is overhated IMO. Its an alright game, some neat ideas just overall flawed. Honestly more interested in replaying it than Moon, even if a lot of its frustrations I brought upon myself.

MMZXLC didn't have the best games in the MM series
Debatable, Z3 and 4 can hang out with the top dogs, honestly all these games are MAD underrated (mostly thanks to the difficulty). Im actually kinda sad as I was hoping the collection would expose the subseries to more people, but the sales numbers ware... well they ware exactly what Capcom expected, but it isnt amazing sadly.

Wait I just noticed your name is MMZ why are you underselling the series XD

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
If M2's working on this, I really hope they make some sort of silly, but welcome additional content.

Like playable Hugh in CoTM or some shit. It's the only CV GBA game without an unlockable character, even though those other modes are pretty great. While they're at it, making those modes available from the start would be great.
As much I love Circle of the Moon, it definitely feels like it was rushed to make it in time for the GBA launch. Some of the early reports of Circle of the Moon from TGS2000 talked about Hugh being a playable character, but that obviously never made it into the final game. That and the fact that there's no in-game merchant of any kind to sell all the excess Leather Armors you'll inevitably end up with during the game kinda suggest KCEK had to cut some stuff before release.

If they were to add new stuff to this collection (not expecting that, but still), I would love to have some sort of a remix mode for CotM, where all the cards are placed on the map as hidden items, instead of being enemy drops. There's a fanmade romhack for that, and it seemed pretty great from what I played, but it would be nice have something similar in the new release too.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic news! I've tried these games before but never finished any of them. Hope it's multiplatform (why the hell is Rondo still PS4 exclusive?!).

Now if only Sega could release a Sonic Advance collection..

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Harmony is overhated IMO. Its an alright game, some neat ideas just overall flawed. Honestly more interested in replaying it than Moon, even if a lot of its frustrations I brought upon myself.

Debatable, Z3 and 4 can hang out with the top dogs, honestly all these games are MAD underrated (mostly thanks to the difficulty). Im actually kinda sad as I was hoping the collection would expose the subseries to more people, but the sales numbers ware... well they ware exactly what Capcom expected, but it isnt amazing sadly.

Wait I just noticed your name is MMZ why are you underselling the series XD
😂 I like MMZ, but I like MMX 1-4 and the original series more. MMZXLC has the best performance of all, though. Really well done collection.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
If M2 is doing it then it won't have a platinum trophy at all like Contra Collection. Will be just like 15 or so trophies total spread across the three games and that's it.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this is limited to Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow, which is still a killer collection. I'm quite fond of Circle.

They will probably sell you a separate DS Collection featuring Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia.

Next step after that would be to combine the two collections. And then combine *that* collection with the pre-Symphony collection (the NES games, Super, etc). Then make a collection featuring all of that plus Symphony and Rondo.

Collection.

May 21, 2021
For the DS games on the Switch, any of the touchscreen elements that can't be easily patched out would be still be doable in handheld mode, but M2 could also add gyro and right stick control options as a stylist/finger substitute.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Oh hell yeah. Somewhat unluckily, I am in possession of the GBA games but not the DS ones.

Still, the Anniversary Collection was (well, after patches) a great package made with a lot of care. Be real cool to have a Metroidvania collection to go along with the classic. I hope there's another e-book with interviews and photographs.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll get it either way, but I reserve the right to whine a bit if it's just the GBA games. I don't feel a need to revisit CotM, and HoD had the inexcusably poor music, but Aria was great and I haven't really replayed it since the first time around.

The DS games were great though. I liked Dawn the most, but all three are just super polished and fun.

Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to seeing the undoubtedly sophisticated artwork.

latest

ha, i have that GBA double pack and it was going to be the first thing i played on my analogue pocket whenever that shows up. but i'll accept a switch version of all three!

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Mucho gusto

On March 12, 2019 the Australian Classification published a rating for an application made by Konami Digital Entertainment titled "Castlevania Anniversary Collection" (classification number #283605). The product was rated "PG" and intended to be cross-platform.

On March 19, 2019 Konami announced via its official site the upcoming release of three compilation titles celebrating its 50th anniversary; these include: Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection, Castlevania Anniversary Collection and Contra Anniversary Collection.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I hope this collection is more than just the GBA games, and even then I'm in the huge minority that is actually a fan of the original 2D style and not the Igavanias, but evenstill I always like to support companies keeping their back catalog alive so I will likey scoop this up whatveer the case.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if Adventure ReBirth, Chronicles, and the 2.5D Rondo will ever find a new release.

Don't want to give Konami more ideas for a Collection or anything...

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Would happily play through these again with achievements. Hope they do the DS games too.

That Wii Ware game needs saving to more systems too while they're at it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's not really a trilogy since they have no real story connections (Heck, CotM isn't on the timeline at all)
They are 3 Castlevania games though, all it takes to be a trilogy is for them to share aspects, being on gameboy advance and being Castlevania games makes them the Castlevania Advance Trilogy. There doesn't have to be a story connection

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so excited for the people that will play Aria for the first time, it's such a great game.

Make sure you leave it for last, otherwise you will have trouble going back to the previous ones (that happened to me, Aria was my first Castlevania, and, as a result, it took me years to be able to play HoD).

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Mucho gusto

On March 12, 2019 the Australian Classification published a rating for an application made by Konami Digital Entertainment titled "Castlevania Anniversary Collection" (classification number #283605). The product was rated "PG" and intended to be cross-platform.

On March 19, 2019 Konami announced via its official site the upcoming release of three compilation titles celebrating its 50th anniversary; these include: Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection, Castlevania Anniversary Collection and Contra Anniversary Collection.

So you're telling me there might be a second collection with the DS games as well?

giphy.webp

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018

I don't really know the details of what you are complaining about, but... Is it really weird that Soma Cruz would be "Americanized"? By the logic of the games themselves, he should be American.

Let me explain that. Aria of Sorrow tells the story of how Castlevania was sealed in an eclipse in Transylvania in 1999, and emerged from an eclipse in Japan in 2035. Those are real eclipses, part of a cycle of eclipses called Solar Saros 145. 1999 was the first eclipse of the cycle, and 2035 will be the third eclipse of that cycle. The second eclipse of that cycle was the the "Great American Eclipse" on August 21, 2017, which reached totality only inside the continental US. And Soma Cruz was born in 2017.

So... Soma Cruz was almost certainly born in the US. Hell, there are pretty good odds he was born in Kentucky.

Americanizing him a bit is just being consistent with the lore!

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah, these games rule. I doubt it'd happen, but It'd be amazing if we can get some enhacements. Just having higher quality music samples would do it for me.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
People hated on Harmony of Dissonance's music but to me it sounded similar to what the Famicom did with Castlevania 3's music and that made me enjoy it a lot.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I would be so into this. At least a couple of the GBA and DS games have been sitting on my backlog list as "must plays." If this happened to get a console release, the timeline on when I'd expect to play them would shorten considerably, especially because my mind is in Castlevania-mode since I'll finish season 4 of the show today.

Unfortunately, I'm expecting this to just be the GBA games. All six handheld games in one package seems like something that is too good to actually happen. Splitting them up into two separate three-game collections is a foreseeable move. Plus, that would allow Konami to feel out how a GBA collection sells before putting in the extra time and money that DS ports would require due to the touch controls.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
If they do a limited physical release of this I might wait for that. Suspecting Konami won't do it themselves, but LRG has done the other collections at least.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
advance collection clearly implies it's the GBA games, but i'm pretty optimistic they're gonna do the DS games in a future collection.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Mucho gusto

And it released in May, so maybe we're not too far away from a release date.