• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Bumblebee martial arts choreography was dope. Steinfeld was great and I got emotional a few times. Loved the cybertron parts

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlie's an ace mechanic and ace diver, paralyzed by the death of her father until she saves Bumblebee's life with the technique that would have saved her father. She saves Bumblebee/the Autobots/the World using her courage and her talents. She parts ways with Bumblebee because she wants him to worry about his own problems, not hers. She will be fine. And she is. She clears all of her hurdles and her future is bright.

Sam's a piece of shit who thinks you need a car to have any personal value in this world (probably true in his case, since he has no other redeeming qualities), sells priceless family heirlooms to get a car because his rich parents will only pay for half of one, lucks out and finds Bumblebee, and hooks up with Mikaela, because he has Bumblebee. He becomes "important" because Bumblebee is important, and Bumblebee is Sam's pet, so by transitive property Sam must be important, because Sam is Bumblebee's owner. Sam screams a lot and doesn't die, and then makes out with Mikaela on the hood of Bumblebee while the other Autobots watch. Sam will never let go of Bumblebee, because Bumblebee is the greatest thing that could ever happen to him.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hot Take:

This movie is a beat for beat remake of E.T.

Think about it for a second.

ANYWAY, it was good. I liked it. Bumblebee phone home.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hot Take:

This movie is a beat for beat remake of E.T.

Think about it for a second.

ANYWAY, it was good. I liked it. Bumblebee phone home.
The movie wears its Spielberg influence on its sleeve for sure. They pulled it off very well so I don't feel that's much of a problem in this case tho.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was a pretty solid movie. This deserves to make more money than any of Bays garbage

Oct 27, 2017
It was decent,enjoyable. What we need is a new animated movie with the character models from this movie. Cybertron scenes here gave me goosebumps,Ioved them.

Oct 28, 2017
I quite enjoyed it but the ending was off for me. It was like the filmmakers knew they needed to move beyond this particular origin story to expand the scope of the franchise so they suddenly had the girl say her goodbyes to Bumblebee in a very abrupt way. I expected their parting to pack more of an emotional punch since what preceded it was so endearing.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wish they hadnt dropped Charlie. She's like the first likable human character in Transformers media that I've ever seen.

Toadofsky

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
I really enjoyed this movie a lot. I really hope it does well so that cyberteon film gets made. I'm all for a reboot of the franchise that can do better even though I enjoyed some of the first Transformers movie with Shia Lebouf

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they hadnt dropped Charlie. She's like the first likable human character in Transformers media that I've ever seen.

Yeah same here. If ever there's a sequel I kinda just want them to bring her back however they can. Hailee Steinfeld and the characters she plays are just ridiculously likeable.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just got home from the theater, and man, this is a really good film. Easily far better than any of the Bay films. There's a lot of heart to it and it actually treats its female lead very well.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Great film. Loved it. Nice to have a heartfelt Transformers movie.

"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" was brilliant.

Oct 25, 2017
http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/12/31/...vLGu97Fi8WOguKvSo07cEsFR6Dq1C6qjU5WgS4i0f7rzo

Article goes into the test screening version and how the stuff changed, which clearly shows how they were trying to retcon this out of the previous timeline.

The change to the opening makes sense, as it did seem overly convenient of where Bee crash landed, so makes sense that they couldn't reshoot the whole thing and just went with the simple test exercise scene at the start.

Oh, interesting. So if this is true, it looks like it was conceived as a bay prequel but retooled later in production to cut the more obvious ties and leave room for it to become its own thing.
That would explain why its reboot status is so vague, if it started with one intention and finished with another. But even if the result landed somewhere in the middle, it indicates that their current intentions are for reboot. And I'm totally on board with that.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to see this. Pretty good movie. Only one other guy in the theater though.

Hope it does well enough to get a sequel.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hyped and underwhelmed with this. Plot seemed predictable. And i liked the parts where B had a voice (on cybertron) better. It should have been called charlie not bumble bee, as it was mainly about her.

The cgi was great though.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Charlie's an ace mechanic and ace diver, paralyzed by the death of her father until she saves Bumblebee's life with the technique that would have saved her father. She saves Bumblebee/the Autobots/the World using her courage and her talents. She parts ways with Bumblebee because she wants him to worry about his own problems, not hers. She will be fine. And she is. She clears all of her hurdles and her future is bright.

Sam's a piece of shit who thinks you need a car to have any personal value in this world (probably true in his case, since he has no other redeeming qualities), sells priceless family heirlooms to get a car because his rich parents will only pay for half of one, lucks out and finds Bumblebee, and hooks up with Mikaela, because he has Bumblebee. He becomes "important" because Bumblebee is important, and Bumblebee is Sam's pet, so by transitive property Sam must be important, because Sam is Bumblebee's owner. Sam screams a lot and doesn't die, and then makes out with Mikaela on the hood of Bumblebee while the other Autobots watch. Sam will never let go of Bumblebee, because Bumblebee is the greatest thing that could ever happen to him.

Did you even watch the first transformers? Bumblebee becomes his guardian because of witwicky' history in discovering their kind. Sam cares for bumblebee and binds with him as he doesn't have any friends. Sam also does everything to try and protect bee and goes to get him out of sector 7 by black mailing them. Sam trust been since bee has been a friend to him, and his guardian. Sam literally ran with what is considered a power source that can create world's.

He doesn't back down to Megatron, and has mkala get bee out of there via tow truck when his legs get blown off. He also opens the box to kill Megatron and save Optimus.

Kid shows all the quality's auto bots stand for. But mainly courage when he learns of everything. He doesn't turn away from his friends bee/Autobots.

Which is similar to Charlie, who had more emotional shit to sift through.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Did they make a line of figures for the movie?
They look really cheap though. I'd say stick with the regular Transformers figures.

Though the Target exclusive Soundwave/Boombox is awesome looking!
http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/12/31/...vLGu97Fi8WOguKvSo07cEsFR6Dq1C6qjU5WgS4i0f7rzo

Article goes into the test screening version and how the stuff changed, which clearly shows how they were trying to retcon this out of the previous timeline.

The change to the opening makes sense, as it did seem overly convenient of where Bee crash landed, so makes sense that they couldn't reshoot the whole thing and just went with the simple test exercise scene at the start.
Interesting. The CG in Cybertron did look less detailed than how they look on Earth. Was still awesome though. I'm curious when it was storyboarded and how long it took to make that Cybertron sequence.
I really enjoyed this movie a lot. I really hope it does well so that cyberteon film gets made. I'm all for a reboot of the franchise that can do better even though I enjoyed some of the first Transformers movie with Shia Lebouf
Yea, looks like domestically it will land around what The Last Knight made, but considering this was released after a franchise low and sold as a spinoff. It's been doing rather decent.
Yeah same here. If ever there's a sequel I kinda just want them to bring her back however they can. Hailee Steinfeld and the characters she plays are just ridiculously likeable.
I loved her character. Would love to see her come back and it's definitely doable if Hasbro/Paramount decide to go that route.

I'm really curious to see where they go next. Will they give Travis Knight the keys to the franchise?

Also, if they want to save some money. Fucking dropping Bay already. I doubt he gave any meaningful input for this movie. I enjoyed pretty much all of the Transformers movies too. But it's time he went away from it. Would save them a few million easy.

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

This is a really bad take.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Oh, interesting. So if this is true, it looks like it was conceived as a bay prequel but retooled later in production to cut the more obvious ties and leave room for it to become its own thing.
That would explain why its reboot status is so vague, if it started with one intention and finished with another. But even if the result landed somewhere in the middle, it indicates that their current intentions are for reboot. And I'm totally on board with that.

The movie was already in production when TLK was coming out, so this was always meant to be a prequel. But clearly they went out of the way to remove the connections to the Bay films. The one thing left in the film that connects to the Bay films is Section 7, and it would have been impossible to completely remove them from the movie that was already shot even with reshoots.

Oct 25, 2017
Did they make a line of figures for the movie?
As far as I am personally aware...
There are a few Bumblebees of varying quality out right now and not too much else of interest at the moment. The best version of Bee right now is MPM-7 Bumblebee.
ldKFpXYl.jpg

Or if you want smaller/cheaper, the Studio Series 18 (standard color) or 20 (goldish paint with cassettes).
Rz8DAq6.jpg

Some absolute shit versions of Shatter are out with the only okay figure (studio series 29) still to come in the near future. But the head is inaccurate and it's covered in kibble.
tV9uyLym.png

Dropkick's situation is even worse. You got some bullshit out there now, with Studio Series 22 coming out later. And it hardly resembles him beyond a few choice details.
vqMudd2m.jpg

And then there's poor Blitzwing who is just a recolored Megatron figure with a new head in a form he doesn't even appear in during the movie.
OenI8Szm.jpg

Or if you've got some deep ass pockets, he's getting a beautiful statue later.
5zE0ZFJl.jpg

The big one everyone is waiting for is Bumblebee's Studio Series Optimus Prime, which seems to be one of the coolest Primes in a long time. ETA unknown.
dF5Ng5h.jpg

Finally, in the second half of 2019, ThreeA's (nontransformable) DLX Scale Collectible Series Bumblebee comes out.
WBfZ3url.jpg

Personally, I'm getting the SS-20 gold paint Bumblebee (because it also comes with cassettes for my favorite bot Soundwave) and have ThreeA's DLX preordered. Optimus will also be mine whenever that rolls around.

Oct 25, 2017
The movie was already in production when TLK was coming out, so this was always meant to be a prequel. But clearly they went out of the way to remove the connections to the Bay films. The one thing left in the film that connects to the Bay films is Section 7, and it would have been impossible to completely remove them from the movie that was already shot even with reshoots.
Yep. You can kind of find the loose ends of the reshoots in the movie when you think about it, too.

I've seen people wonder about the great coincidence it was that Bumblebee just happened to land on top of a Sector 7 training exercise. As the report of the earlier cut goes, the movie originally opened with Bumblebee already on Earth (which is congruent with Bay's TLK flashbacks) being chased down by S7 who were actively hunting him. Then at some point the entire Cybertron scene was added in with Prime seemingly informing Bumblebee of Earth for the very first time, and a new scene was shot placing S7 coincidentally training near his crash site to explain the scenes that immediately follow. Then the movie continues on as normal.

I've also seen people wonder what Sector 7's mission statement is in this universe since in Bay's they'd been tracking transformers for decades, while in this one this seems to be their very first direct encounter. Which makes their origin or purpose strangely ambiguous. Well, it wasn't ambiguous in the earlier cut, there were plenty of lines of dialogue from S7 characters indicating prior knowledge of the transformers, and an after credits scene of Agents Burns and Simmons gawking at Megatron frozen in the ice (as per TF1). However, all references to prior knowledge were cut and instead this movie was framed as first contact.

And distancing itself even further, in place of that (now deleted) credits direct reference to Bay's TF1, is instead a new scene that does the total opposite. It depicts Optimus establishing a home on Earth 20 years early, with a bunch more transformers on the way. In Bay's movies, not only did Optimus not decide to settle on Earth until the 2000s, it's implied that it was his first visit. This new scene is incongruent with the opening narration of Bay's TF1 where Prime states that Earth was an unknown planet until they came after the Allspark in 2007. Especially considering the autobots in TF1 state that they recently learned english from the internet, which is not how they would have learned it if they first arrived in 1987.

Plus there's the fact that TLK implies that Bumblebee has had his name as early as WW2, being identified on sight by someone who has not seen him since then. While the new Cybertron scene Travis inserted into the movie makes clear that his name prior to 1987 was B127.

While one of the producers is saying that this is definitely a Bay prequel, the director stated in an interview that in this mind it was a standalone movie that could branch off in a new direction. So it looks like he may have colored within the producer's lines while having his own idea of what he wanted to make, which is why it landed somewhere in the middle. It wouldn't be hard to do, it's not like the producers ever fact check the timeline in any of these movies. That much is obvious.

And if we're lucky they'll notice how excited everyone is about the idea of this being a reboot and decide to embrace it.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, John Cena sucks? Or he actually acted well?
Easily the best role I've ever seen him in, although that's not saying a lot.

Not a great acting performance by any stretch, because he's just playing "Army Guy". But there's something to be said for knowing what you can do and doing it well. I think his performance actually added to the movie.

He might actually be my second-favorite human in a live action Transformers movie (after this movie's main human protagonist). But again, that's not saying a lot, because I've pretty much hated all the humans in all of Michael Bay's Transformers movies.

If John Cena headlined a G.I. Joe spinoff of this movie, I wouldn't complain.

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Interesting, thanks for the replies about Cena. I just got to watch Aquaman today, and won't be seeing this one till next week, but looking forward to it.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
I heard Stan Bush's The Touch again and I was pacified for 5 bad transformers movies at once.

Caught this today. It's a solid Venn diagram of intersecting elements that I love combined into one film. Gen 1 Transformers + E.T. + Iron Giant + 80's music. A few things didn't work, but this was remarkably better than anything we've seen yet out of anything related to Transformers since the 80's cartoon/movie. The beginning 15 mins and setup made me wish the whole movie adaption had started here so bad. Charlie was fantastic and incredibly likable. I was really worried her high dive aspect about her character would end up being about as dumb as the Jurrasic Park Lost world gymnast moment, but nah, they earned that moment and the dive worked.

Apologies if this has been covered, I haven't read the thread, but the one element I either missed or do not understand was suddenly at the end they needed to have this scene where bee had to part with her. They spent this whole movie building this relationship and never really drove home any reason they needed to part ways, especially when Bee up and upgrades to the Camero and Charlie was all excited and then, well see ya! Was it Steinfeld only signed up for one and that just handled to reasoning she had to go poorly?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this has been covered, I haven't read the thread, but the one element I either missed or do not understand was suddenly at the end they needed to have this scene where bee had to part with her. They spent this whole movie building this relationship and never really drove home any reason they needed to part ways, especially when Bee up and upgrades to the Camero and Charlie was all excited and then, well see ya! Was it Steinfeld only signed up for one and that just handled to reasoning she had to go poorly?

They both fulfilled their purposes in saving each other and finding their families.

Oct 27, 2017
I heard Stan Bush's The Touch again and I was pacified for 5 bad transformers movies at once.

Caught this today. It's a solid Venn diagram of intersecting elements that I love combined into one film. Gen 1 Transformers + E.T. + Iron Giant + 80's music. A few things didn't work, but this was remarkably better than anything we've seen yet out of anything related to Transformers since the 80's cartoon/movie. The beginning 15 mins and setup made me wish the whole movie adaption had started here so bad. Charlie was fantastic and incredibly likable. I was really worried her high dive aspect about her character would end up being about as dumb as the Jurrasic Park Lost world gymnast moment, but nah, they earned that moment and the dive worked.

The ongoing war.

Waldini

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So ... eh, is this a reboot?
Because ... there's so many stuff happening in Bumblebee that go against most of the stuff happening in the Bay-verse.

Bumblebee arriving on Earth in 1987 ... while we clearly saw him fight in WW2?
Optimus being on Earth already ... while we clearly saw him scan the truck in Transformers?
The mentioning of the first encounter with the Decepticons ... while Megatron was stuck in ice and being experimented on?
Cybertron looking different compared to the honey-comb structure in the Bay-verse?
Instead of 4 (Transformers) Autobots arriving we now have 7?
Bumblebee's voice was said to be damaged due to a battle with Megatron on Cybertron? Now, it's Blitzwing?

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
So ... eh, is this a reboot?
Because ... there's so many stuff happening in Bumblebee that go against most of the stuff happening in the Bay-verse.

Bumblebee arriving on Earth in 1987 ... while we clearly saw him fight in WW2?
Optimus being on Earth already ... while we clearly saw him scan the truck in Transformers?
The mentioning of the first encounter with the Decepticons ... while Megatron was stuck in ice and being experimented on?
Cybertron looking different compared to the honey-comb structure in the Bay-verse?
Instead of 4 (Transformers) Autobots arriving we now have 7?
Bumblebee's voice was said to be damaged due to a battle with Megatron on Cybertron? Now, it's Blitzwing?
I was told earlier it's a reboot. The final scene with Prime was reshot to make it a reboot

Waldini

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was told earlier it's a reboot. The final scene with Prime was reshot to make it a reboot

It does share certain elements with the Bay-verse though ... but alot of the stuff that happens in this movie ... contradict almost everything done in the Bay-verse and I'm glad that it does. I really enjoyed this movie ... and, for the first time ever, I could follow all the action too.

Any "official" word on wether this is a reboot or not then?

Shame the movie underperforms (so far) at the Box Office though ...

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Liked the Cybertron sequences, felt like they just ripped scenes from the 80s toon and CGIed them.

Love the retro designs of all of the Transformers. Though some of them do still suffer from some bayformer uglyness to varying degrees, for the most part it's a big improvement especially on Bee and Optimus.

For my money, All of the action sequences felt very par for the course for a transformers film, only scaled down to a more personal level instead of these mega world ending events seen in most of the other films. Anytime it was trying to be an action film it was just... okay. But when it was trying to be E.T. or an 80s coming-of-age film I thought it was great. It weaves back and forth between the two modes well enough that it worked most of the time.

The male love interest fell super flat and he added nothing to the movie. Honestly would have rather they just cut that out entirely, or maybe beefed up the brother's role to make up for it.

Oh and we get to see Bee talking for a while, wow. I know these films are addicted to the trope of Bee using the radio to talk... but I kinda wish they would move past that in the next one. Especially if this is more of a reboot and not a prequel, meaning they don't have to adhere to that