• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
My mind refuses to believe this. This behavior is just disgusting. The police getting their own children out has me fucking livid.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
We'll need to see the timeline of events before giving proper judgement. If the killer was already holed up somewhere then the police actions were correct. But if he was still actively killing, it was obviously horrendous. My initial guess is that the police force lacked the translators & community advocates to properly explain the choices they made during the tragedy.

You'd think that being a predominately Hispanic town/city that at least one of the cops or someone from the department would be fluent in Spanish.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So you agree that emergency drills cause people to do horrible things like this? Because that's literally what the tweet ends with.

No no he's saying plants the idea of how to effectively commit the crime, not the idea of committing it itself

Hayes is saying the shooter planned the attack based on the drill protocols he knew would be in place because he went through the drills.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck these bitch ass cops my mind continues to be broken as I read the events that happened there ughhh. Absolute failures.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
No no he's saying plants the idea of how to effectively commit the crime, not the idea of committing it itself

Hayes is saying the shooter planned the attack based on the drill protocols he knew would be in place because he went through the drills.
That's still deeply stupid and no better. Anything to deflect from the gun issue.

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

God, the community would've been better served by spending that money on literally anything else, even something cop-adjacent like animal control, to say nothing of social services. If the cops were going to call CBP anyway — and maybe that makes sense in a small town? — they don't need this funding.

I will never understand how anyone can look at those bar graphs and be like, jupp checks out. Nothing else needs funding, please give the police more money.
But ohhh no "defund the police is too radical" pathetic.

Also why on earth does a community of 13000 need a swat team? Surely two friendly community peace officers would be more than enough...

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
What's ghoulish is the pr for the cops was their boss saying they did such a good job securing the scene abd isolating the shooter/barricading him in a class room

Only what that actually meant is from what I've gathered:

1. They barely engaged with the shooter outside the school after he emerged from a crashed vehicle

2. They followed followed him inside (aka they conceeded entrance to the school to him because they were afraid if being hurt).

3 They tracked him to a classroom, an occupied classroom full of kids and teachers, watched him lock the door.

4. Then the cops backed off feeling proud that they isolated the shooter... while the shooter proceeded to butcher those kids and teachers over the next 40 minutes because no one could bother to defeat a locked door

5. And in the end whike they retreated to the exterior to pacify distraught parents with more force and effort than anything they did in the name of stopping the shooter... it was a maverick ICE agent who took it upon himself to go in, get a staff member to unlock the door finally after 40-60 minutes and took down the shooter.

6. The police then rewrote all these events as acts if effective heroism and made it sound like they prevented more death, when in reality all those deaths were 100% enabled by their decisions and cowardness.

Do you have an article on this? I hope this gets blasted everywhere... i doubt it will change anything, but this need to be known... damn this is horrible

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the swat photo the majority appear to be Minorities themselves. I think this had less to do about race and more to do about the corrupt and broken police system working as intended. The police exist to punish and put fear into citizens. They do not exist to protect the citizens. The police unions have made sure of that in that it is basically procedure to never risk their own safety while on duty.

Hey, no argument there.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
[
That's still deeply stupid and no better.

No it isn't

There's not much evidence that these drills do anything, except give cops a chance to play out their bad guy fantasies and traumatize children.

I've yet to see any meaningful evidence that these drills save lives, and now we've seen they've been in place so long that shooters are getting old enough to have gone through the drills themselves and use the protocols to their advantage.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
[

No it isn't

There's not much evidence that these drills do anything, except give cops a chance to play out their bad guy fantasies and traumatize children.

I've yet to see any meaningful evidence that these drills save lives, and now we've seen they've been in place so long that shooters are getting old enough to have gone through the drills themselves and use the protocols to their advantage.
Honestly, yes it is and you should know better. Well then let's just do fucking nothing and see how great that turns out.

It's literally just there to distract from the actual issue: people having too easy access to guns. Anything to keep us from talking about the actual issue.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Thin blue line my ass. More like cowardly blue line. But somehow, discussing american police cowardice specifically is crossing a line.

In Parkland, Police also didn't go in when they should have. Their training calls for going in in active shootings, precisely to avoid the current situation. But no, fuck the children. Protect the cop lives! After all, blue lives matter.

What a fucking joke.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly, yes it is and you should know better. Well then let's just do fucking nothing and see how great that turns out.

It's literally just there to distract from the actual issue: people having too easy access to guns. Anything to keep us from talking about the actual issue.
As I said earlier in the thread , sometimes doing things that is security theatre and not actually evidence based effective, can be worse than doing nothing . For example if you do breast scans when a person is younger it's far likelier to led to false positives that lead to treatment a patient doesn't need. In this case if the drills don't work and I'm not sure I'be ever seen evidence they do work, in best case you are traumatising generations of children for something with no benefit and worst case as mass shooters are young men, they are not long out of school and have the drill preparation's fresh in their head. That's without getting into the fact that by doing school shooter drills it has allowed politician's to make it seem like they have done something , and not actually implement things that have evidence to work like gun control laws and dealing with the issues of radicalised racist/sexist young men. Why do you think politicians are suddenly focusing on arming teachers as a solution? They want to seem to do something even if it doesn't work. Look gun control laws is the thing I would focus on but I don't think the idea that doing shooter drills isn't a great idea and has negative impacts on kids is that controversial

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

One can easily argue that accepting active shooter drills is acquiesing to not doing anything either. Similar to tornado drills and fire drills, shooter drills are accepting that armed gunmen are a natural occurrence. I would like to see stats on how many active shooter drills have saved lives as opposed to traumatizing kids and at worst, giving some kids an idea on how shootings can be implemented but I already have a feeling that they're not as beneficial.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

But that's the point, those drills are part and parcel part of the not doing anything about the real problem.

This concern isn't new
www.nbcnews.com

Active shooter drills are meant to prepare students. But research finds ‘severe’ side effects.

A new report examining nearly 28 million social media posts tied to 114 schools finds higher rates of depression and stress following active shooter drills.

Active shooter drills became one of the most common school safety measures implemented nationwide in recent years, despite widespread fears that the procedures heighten anxiety, and evidence that school shooters, like the one in Parkland, Florida, use knowledge of the drills to their advantage. Teachers unions in February called for schools to not conduct active shooter drills with students. Now, new research adds data to those concerns.

A report released Thursday, obtained in advance by NBC News, found active shooter drills in schools correlated with a 42 percent increase in anxiety and stress and a 39 percent increase in depression among those in the school community, including students, teachers and parents, based on their social media posts.

Parkland shooter is also suspected of using his knowledge of the drills to his advantage

The drills they're doing are traumatic and frequently obscene, they've used actual projectiles against teachers in one, leaving them bleedingand welted shot at point blank range, in others they play sounds and actually simulate the sensory experiences of a shooting (which they don't do for other drills)

The Indiana Legislature passed a law last year requiring each district conduct an active shooter drill in the first 90 days of the school, which the state has not waived in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The Indiana State Teachers Association said it lobbied unsuccessfully to tack on a prohibition on the firing of plastic projectiles during the drills.

Indiana mandates them and refused to ban projectiles.

Jaclyn Schildkraut, a professor of criminal justice at the State University of New York at Oswego, studies school lockdown drills.

The drills were necessary, she said, because adolescents felt "more prepared and more empowered. It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

But the drills may harm the mental health of students, while doing little to prevent mass shootings.

"There hasn't been a strong body of evidence that these drills are helping," Megan Carolan, vice president of research at the Institute for Child Success, said.

In fact, some critics say, the focus on "hardening" schools could detract from strategies that could actually prevent shootings from taking place. Those measures could include stricter gun laws, better threat assessment and more mental health counseling in schools to help students cope with strong emotions.

"The response was executed perfectly, yet four children were killed and multiple injuries occurred," said Karen McDonald, the Michigan prosecutor whose office is overseeing the criminal case. "We really can't train ourselves out of this tragedy."

www.nytimes.com

Do Active Shooter Drills Work? (Published 2021)

They may harm the mental health of students, while doing little to prevent mass shootings.

According to a new report by Everytown for Gun Safety, the National Education Association (NEA) and the American Federation of Teachers, unannounced active shooter drills are a detrimental and unproven school safety tactic.

"Everywhere I travel, I hear from parents and educators about active shooter drills terrifying students, leaving them unable to concentrate in the classroom and unable to sleep at night," said NEA President Lily Eskelsen García. "That is why, if schools are going to do drills, they need to take steps to ensure the drills do more good than harm."

Are active shooter drills in schools currently doing any good? That's hard to say because "there is extremely limited research available on drills' effectiveness," according to the report. Two studies have suggested they can be constructive if they are announced in advance and take proactive measures to reduce student anxiety.

In addition to criticizing unannounced shooter drills, the report also singles out so-called ALICE drills. ALICE stands for alert, lockdown, inform, counter, and evacuate. During these drills, schools carry out an actual simulation of a shooter situation, complete with pretend intruders who often fire off blanks or rubber pellets.

Not surprisingly, the psychological toll can be significant, says Janet Shapiro, dean of the Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research at Bryn Mawr College.

"Young children have a hard time telling the difference between fantasy and reality especially when stressed or anxious," Shapiro told NEA Today in 2019. "Which is why you hear about many younger students crying inconsolably during drills. Even second and third graders can regress under the stress of a lockdown drill and the fear and anxiety they may cause — the drill itself calls attention to the possibility of a mass shooter in the school, and kids vary in terms of their ability to reassure themselves that the drill is not real."
A drill at an East Orange, New Jersey middle school in 2018 left one student wondering if she was going to "finish the day alive."

"That drill made me get mad at the school and everything," the eighth-grader said. "It really made me angry and sad and feel kind of trapped, because what am I supposed to do?"

In December, a senior and her classmates at Lake Brantley High School in Orlando were traumatized after a drill prompted them to hide in closets and locker rooms, not knowing whether there was a real gunman lurking on campus. She told the Orlando Sentinel that she woke up the following morning not wanting to return to school.

Unbelievably, staff at Meadowlawn Elementary School in Indiana were lined up against a school wall and shot in the back with pellet guns. "They told us, 'This is what happens if you just cower and do nothing,'" one teacher told The Indy Star. "I was hit four times. It hurt so bad," one teacher said.

And in 2013, A history teacher at Worcester's Claremont Academy in Massachussetts left the classroom sobbing after an active shooter drill involved a hooded man pointing a gun at teachers' heads and shouting "bang!"

So, despite a lack of evidence over their effectiveness and rising fears over the toll on students and staff, why are active shooter drills in schools so common?

As the Everytown report points out, school safety is big business, and these drills are a $2.7 million industry. The ALICE Training Institute ("The company behind America's scariest school drills," says the The Huffington Post) cultivates the belief that a more "proactive" tactics are the way to save student lives. For example, ALICE trainers advise students and educators to consider "countering," or confronting an intruder - advice many experts believe is dangerous.

Eager to demonstrate decisive, quick action, school districts officials have purchased products ranging from mega-expensive state-of-art surveillance technology, to metal detectors, facial recognition software, bullet-proof whiteboards, and fortified entries. It's time to stop fortifying our schools, and focus on proven strategies that will protect our students.

While these improvements would be a welcome step, undue attention on drills leaves too little space for more proven solutions, said Sari Kaufman, a survivor of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and a member of the Students Demand Action national advisory board, "like keeping all firearms in the home secured and passing red flag laws."

At the national level, the House of Representatives passed two bills aimed at expanding background checks on gun purchases, but both have stalled from lack of support from the U.S. Senate and White House.

"The fact that we're focusing on these drills at all is a failure of the Administration and Senate to take any meaningful steps to address the fact that too many very dangerous people have very easy access to very dangerous weapons," said Eskelsen García. "We need to pass common-sense measures to keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them."

www.nea.org

Unannounced Active Shooter Drills Scaring Students Without Making Them Safer | NEA

If schools are going to conduct drills, says NEA President Lily Eskelsen García, they need to take steps to ensure they do more good than harm.

Cogan says there is no evidence to show that the drills are effective in preparing students, teachers, and administrators to deal with gun violence in schools.

"While the incidence of school shootings is rare, now more than 95 percent of schools across the country have active-shooter drills," says Cogan, who also works as a school nurse in Camden. "We do not prepare our students for fire drills by making them walk through smoke and debris-filled hallways."

Cogan worries about the impact that the drills have on the psychological development of young children, and the effect the drills have on school nurses.

In the article, the authors share concerns from school nurses who have participated in active-shooter drills. One nurse reports that her heart sank the day she was in her office when she heard the sounds of gunshots from the school's loudspeaker. She did not know if it was an unannounced lockdown drill or if there was an active shooter in the building. Instinctively, she locked her office door, closed the blinds, and hid in a corner. After she found out it was just a drill and the gunfire sounds were from an app used by the person running the drill, she did not understand the need to endure the fear and concern for herself and everyone in the building.

"Our brains cannot always differentiate when an incident is real or just a drill," says Cogan, who adds that there is no evidence that even some of the most recognized programs – including Alert Lockdown Inform Counter Evacuate (ALICE), which uses a run, hide, fight options framework – are effective in preventing injuries.

Among the problems Cogan sees with the programs are that they are not evidence-based and do not consider the students' ages and developmental stages, if they have special health care needs, or if they have learning challenges.

"These are reactive measures and are not taking into consideration the need for preventative programs to create a culture of kindness, acceptance, and safety in schools," says Cogan. "Money is being spent on hardening schools instead of softening them."

Active shooter drills vary widely across the country. Some unfold unannounced and involve actors dressed as masked gunmen, teachers being lined up and shot with an airsoft rifle and students as young as 3 years old told to hide in a small space for long periods of time, the report said.

"What these drills can really do is potentially trigger either past trauma or trigger such a significant physiological reaction that it actually ends up scaring the individuals instead of better preparing them," said Melissa Reeves, former president of the National Association of School Psychologists, in the report.

Evidence is "scant" that drills are effective at preventing deaths in school shootings while there is "extremely limited" research on their effectiveness, the authors wrote in the report.

www.reuters.com

Report questions effectiveness of active shooter drills in schools

Active shooter drills, a routine in American schools for the last two decades, tend to traumatize students and have not been proven to save lives, according to a report released on Tuesday.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
One can easily argue that accepting active shooter drills is acquiesing to not doing anything either. Similar to tornado drills and fire drills, shooter drills are accepting that armed gunmen are a natural occurrence. I would like to see stats on how many active shooter drills have saved lives as opposed to traumatizing kids and at worst, giving some kids an idea on how shootings can be implemented but I already have a feeling that they're not as beneficial.

The alternative to schools is to do nothing.

This is an insane argument.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The alternative to schools is to do nothing.

This is an insane argument.

No it's do it 100% different if you're going to do it

Because what many schools are doing now are no proven effective, aren't standardized, aren't effective prevention, are traumatizing, and in two major shootings used by the shooters to commit terror more effectively

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
This should cause an absolute national outrage, but I already know people are falling over themselves trying to defend and justify this while also arguing that arming teachers is the only way forward.

Oct 30, 2017
Nearly half this town's budget went to funding the local police. This is what 4 million dollars a year gets you. 22 dead women and children.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I didnt even think about the doors. The school i work at we have 2 buildings 1 new where the doors open into the classroom and 1 old where the doors open into the hall. It would be hard for the shooter to barricade himself in if the doors open outward unless its just throwing desks/tables up against the door entrance

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the police went and got their own kids while simultaneously blocking other parents from going in

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So they just waited for him to burn through all his ammo in that classroom. That checks with the news that the bodies were so mutilated that they needed to swab the parents DNA to identify them. He just sat in that room for an hour blowing those children to pieces.

Fucking cowardly bastards.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? its like they completely abandoned their duties. Those poor children…

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I thought others with guns would stop this shit. 🤔

Man fuck this shit. It's infuriating seeing the pigs standing around with their guns not doing shit when the pro gun advocates are always spilling this dumb shit narrative that you just need others with guns so they can go rambo and stop shit. Clearly the fuck not.

Next time someone says that, this video should be shown.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
These small town cops love to cosplay as soldiers like they're fighting the fucking Taliban with their AR-15s and military tac gear, but at the end of the day it's all theater to make them look tougher than they actually are. They're not soldiers, so whats the point of giving them all this high-end equipment if they're just gonna stand there like cowards and not actually use it to do their fucking jobs.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought others with guns would stop this shit. 🤔

Man fuck this shit. It's infuriating seeing the pigs standing around with their guns not doing shit when the pro gun advocates are always spilling this dumb shit narrative that you just need others with guns so they can go rambo and stop shit. Clearly the fuck not.

Next time someone says that, this video should be shown.
Shitty time to find out that the police aren't the good ones.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Now I have to wonder if a group of parents did actually start running into the school to get to their kids, would those cops have dared to open fire on them? I know it seems ridiculous, but nothing is out of the question anymore when it comes to shitty cops.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Reading that 9 year old testimony about the cop asking people if they needed help and the kids yelling help just to get murdered by this bastard is so incredible infuriating. Goddamn

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I just read that when the border patrol agents or whoever busted in they said for the kids to yell if they need help… someone did and the shooter heard and of course shot the kid. Way to go, morons. That's one casualty basically on your hands.

It was clearly amateur hour across the board in the response from law enforcement. Why the fuck would you tell kids in hiding to yell if you haven't caught/killed the shooter yet? That's the dumbest fucking thing ever. Wow.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017

youtu.be

Uvalde School Shooting: 18 kids, three adults killed

WATCH: We are on the scene at Robb Elementary following reports of an active shooter situation Tuesday afternoon.

He doesn't deny it, and deflects about the "brave women and men in law enforcement"

There is no source. A NYPost article quoted someone as saying the cops evacuated their own kids but there was no elaboration on what that actually meant and no other outlet has reported that.

NYpost is sourcing this interview I posted

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hold the fuck up here, I don't want to get this wrong so don't take what I'm saying as fact here, but when they went in the room with the shooter, they failed to neutralize him so he killed off another kid as they breached the room? Where is this claim coming from?

Is this a claim made through the internet, or has any news association ran with this?

The boy and four others hid under a table that had a tablecloth over it, which may have shielded them from the shooter's view and saved their lives. The boy shared heartbreaking details about what happened in that room. "When the cops came, the cop said: 'Yell if you need help!' And one of the persons in my class said 'help.' The guy overheard and he came in and shot her," the boy said. "The cop barged into that classroom. The guy shot at the cop. And the cops started shooting."