ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
Am I looking in the wrong places or is speculative sci fi lost nowadays? I'm talking about sci fi books that explore the near future and philosophical and human implications of technology. Think PKD, black mirror. It seems that the majority of sci fi bestsellers nowadays are space opera or a variation of it. I can only think of Blake Crouch, what am I missing?

71FT5JgKycL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
and
c0d312e72221705d834f5a1f7ea9cb56704f4c7e__32887.1612457219.jpg

please don't hate me, it's my favourite genre too

QeAuLD4.jpg

The winner of the 2022 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, Trust is a metafictional story in four parts, opening with a novelette called Bonds about Depression-era financial tycoon. We then get the rough draft for a memoir by a Wall Street financier who believes that Bonds is a libelous roman a clef about him and his wife, and then a memoir by said financier's ghostwriter explaining the genesis of the project, and then one final segment that sheds a bit more light on all three preceding pieces. On a structural level it's interesting, and Diaz is a very solid prose writer, so the 400 pages glide by quite easily. At the end of the day I'm not sure all of this cleverness was in the service of anything particularly impactful or groundbreaking, but I enjoyed reading it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Reading Wuthering Heights for the first time. Got an amazing Brazilian commented edition and I'm learning so many things I would be completely oblivious to in a normal edition.

81LxzXa2MWL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

It also tells the story of the Bronte family, let's say they aren't very lucky.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Finished Annihilation by Jeff Vandemeer last night. Interesting read, enjoyable but I felt some kinda disconnectfrom the story for the entire book. Felt like I was reading a text book rather than a novel. I think that was the intended effect, though.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Tress of the Emerald Sea - Brandon Sanderson
4/5

60531406.jpg

I had high hopes for this as a fan of Sanderson. I was expecting this to be elementary level adventure fantasy but it does land more on the YA territory as the themes solidified. I tried a few chapters on audiobook and I noped out very quickly, it did not find the narrator a good fit for Tress. Started over on kindle and finished it that way. Tress and the supporting cast had distinct enough personalities and that made it easy to wade through chapters focusing on any one of them. The humor also landed pretty much all the time it elevated the overall score. Now the main book's narrator is where there was some friction in switching perspective from one paraph to another that it ended up confusing me momentarily, it took a few parts to finally get accustomed. It did not add much of an enjoyment and a tad bit of a detraction tbh.

Not necessarily next but next Sanderson will be Yumi.

Donthizz nice. on my bucket list after a few failed run attempts.

Oct 28, 2017
Neuromancer... have to say this is getting pretty confusing.

Like you get only a vague idea what the actual mission is going to be and that's fine, but Gibson also just doesn't explain a lot of concepts. Or he'll mention a character off-hand one time and suddenly they'll pop up 50 pages later without explaining again who they are. Feel like I'm constantly flipping back pages to try to figure out who people are and what's happening, and it's not even a very long book

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I've been on holidays and reading while in transit. I finished Trudi Canavan's "The Novice", book 2 of the black magician trilogy and it was incredibly mediocre. Basically 8 hours of a student being bullied for her heritage despite her skill and innate talent. Not much happened. Book 3, The High Lord, has been significantly better. I'm about 2/3 through it and a romance subplot is developing that I don't particularly enjoy though.

I've also decided to read some lighter milquetoast reads between what has been a heavy diet of Stephen King, so finally turned my attention to "a series of unfortunate events". I didn't read it as a kid, and enjoyed both the movie and Netflix series so I've been dipping into these between other reads. I'm sure I would have thoroughly enjoyed them as a kid, and as an adult they're a reasonable hour long palette cleanser. I'm assuming there will be more of an overarching plot as the series progresses, if my memory of the Netflix series serves. Otherwise the first two are sort of wile e. Coyote-esque as Olaf dons yet another disguise that only the children see through.

After I finish The High Lord I'm finally getting around to Cloud Cuckoo Land.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Finished Meditations by Marcus Aurelius last week, and have been reading Courage is Calling by Ryan Holiday and Letters from a Stoic by Seneca. I am having a blast going deeper into Philosophy. I am quite stoked to read Epicurus at some point soon, and then get into Existentialism and Taoism.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Did something happen over the past few months that I missed? I feel like pop culture randomly rediscovered this book for some reason, I've been seeing it everywhere including my book store's best seller wall haha
Stoicism has had a big revival in recent years, and Marcus has been riding the wave as an accessible version of it. Not that it isn't worth reading on its own, of course, but that's the reason for the larger profile now. Just search the web for articles on the "stoicism revival" and you can read all about it.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Did something happen over the past few months that I missed? I feel like pop culture randomly rediscovered this book for some reason, I've been seeing it everywhere including my book store's best seller wall haha

To be honest, I don't know. Probably, but I started going down the rabbit hole of philosophy, and I started with Aurelius. I am currently on Seneca right now, then Epicurus, Epictetus, Lao Tzu, Plato, Friedrich Nietzsche, Immanuel Kant, and many others. It is going to be a long journey, and I am so excited.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only other thing I can think of is that is was mentioned several times in the movie The Holdovers last year.

Dec 30, 2020
Well now I'm convinced. Meditations en route.

Also got to pick up Jean Jacque Rousseau's The Social Contract today, and Bernard Mandeville's The Fable of the Bees.

Oct 30, 2017
I finished "Well of Ascension" (Mistborn #2) last week and the more time passes the more I resent my time with that book and myself for sticking with it to the end. I pray to the Lord Ruler that the third book makes it all worth it.

5194oU73UcS.jpg

Anyway, I got back to what I consider a vastly superior series, namely the First Law universe. I'm roughly 20% into "The Trouble with Peace" and boy oh boy is this gearing up to be an amazing trilogy. Already loved "A Little Hatred" (probably my favorite in the series) and book two is exactly what I wanted so far.

Last edited:

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
I finished "Well of Ascension" (Mistborn #2) last week and the more time passes the more I resent my time with that book and myself for sticking with it to the end. I pray to the Lord Ruler that the third book makes it all worth it.

Aside from the ending of it I really didn't like Well of Ascension (and it is easily my least favourite Sanderson book). The whole love triangle writing was just the absolute worst.

The third book was a ton better.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished There There by Tommy Orange, I didn't like it much. Too many characters, no good closure, I get that it's part of the point but it wasn't effective.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I rate the third book very highly in general, maybe i'm easy to please. Report back.

The 2nd book had some cool bits but overall did not hold strong and the weakest of the trilogy.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I've been juggling between The Kingdom, The Power, and the Glory by Tim Alberta (a book about the problems of Christian Nationalism written by a Christian) and Loveless by Alice Oseman (about a British girl who wants to be in a relationship but has never fallen in love). I also recently read one of the Power Girl comic collections.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the 6th book and waiting on 7. I loved this series way more than I thought I would. Just so much fun, unique and deeper than it lets on.

Highly recommended. Supposedly the audio version is even better, but I haven't heard it.

56791389.jpg

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this today. It's the story of Huckleberry Finn but told from the perspective of the slave who lives/works in the house.

It's a very good, brutal read.

81etScjkDWL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_.jpg

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Started my first Chuck Palahniuk novel today (Haunted) and holy shit I was not prepared for reading the short story Guts.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So, been sick lately and not really had much energy for gaming or music. Grabbed a copy of Red Rising and read the entire thing in a single day. Really fun book, cool concept and execution. Grabbed a box set of the rest for really cheap and will make a start on them today.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through Golden Son atm.

These books are really addictive. Been a while since I read something like them.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so thankful for this thread because it has introduced me to so many novels. So I appreciate everyone's discussions on what they're reading.

I'm about halfway through the Forge of God and it's a really interesting take on an alien invasion storyline.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It gets worse. The addiction i mean. If you read at night, get ready for some late nights.
I literally stayed up from like 8pm to early morning and finished the first book in one sitting haha! Not done that for a long, long time.

I'm trying to pace myself a little bit now but I'm already over halfway through the second. I bought all the books, but at this rate I'll be done with them pretty soon.

Do you have any recommendations for other series like this?

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I literally stayed up from like 8pm to early morning and finished the first book in one sitting haha! Not done that for a long, long time.

I'm trying to pace myself a little bit now but I'm already over halfway through the second. I bought all the books, but at this rate I'll be done with them pretty soon.

Do you have any recommendations for other series like this?

I've had a few late night page turners, but they were different than Red Rising which I didn't even like at first. The first book felt so derivative of Hunger Games and Harry Potter with the same type of perfect character trope. But it eventually got its hooks into me and never let go.

Some examples that were similar to that are the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb, the Powder Mage series by Brian McClellan and the Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron.

My full list is here: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/144809.Jag_s_Favorite_Fantasy_SciFi_Series

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks both of you. I'll take a look at your suggestions later.

I forgot how much I enjoyed reading. Need to make the most of this

Edit: holy shit at the end of Golden Son. How am I supposed to sleep now?

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
On to book three. Morning Star.

The characters in these books are so good. I'll spoiler this so I don't spoil who lives.

Victra is one of my favourites, the scene with her and Darrow in the hospital was really moving and I love how their relationship has grown over the course of these books

Servo might be my favourite character, love how he seems Red more than Gold (even if he is half) maybe even more so than Darrow. His rise to the position of Areas from a half crazed beast roaming the wild in wolfskin has been really satisfying to see.

I also really like how friendships and grudges developed in general. Ragnar is another fantastic character, the books really surprise me with who beomces a main character over time.

End of Book 2 was some heavy shit. I can't imagine the wait for 3 if you read that at release.

Can't wait to read more!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up the Hurricane Wars by Thea Guanzon a few days ago. A perfectly fine fantasy novel, though it veers a little too much into the "falling in love with the enemy" trope for my liking. Will still probably pick up the next one.

CH9s5fX.jpg

Just started Cascade Failure by L.M. Sagas. Switching things up with some sci-fi this time. My preferred genre.

xuf1QsT.jpg

Dec 30, 2020
Finished up the Hurricane Wars by Thea Guanzon a few days ago. A perfectly fine fantasy novel, though it veers a little too much into the "falling in love with the enemy" trope for my liking. Will still probably pick up the next one.

CH9s5fX.jpg
Just looking at the cover for Hurricane Wars, is one of the two protagonists a monstrous species with shark-like teeth, or am I just misinterpreting the art?

...because I'm totally down for an enemies-to-lovers sci-fi fantasy where one of them has huge shark-like teeth.

Adeptus

Mar 18, 2024
I am finishing one of the tomes of the "I, Inquistor" cycle (edgy Polish dark fantasy), after it I will start at last "Malazan Book of the Fallen".

Adeptus

Mar 18, 2024
Well, books are right-wing (I am not sure if they can be called "conserative", with their peculiar view on Christianity) power fantasy too. It is not problem for me, becaue my own views are quite similar to author's. But I heard that game is just weak.