CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I just finished Rendezvous with Rama, which I thought was excellent. I enjoyed the brisk pace and the overall sense of mystery. It was a real page turner, I kept falling asleep reading it because I was staying up too late lol. I don't think I'll continue with the series after reading a bit more into them: I think I'll just keep this one as a single experience. Next up is Death's End, which I had started a while back but didn't make much progress in before it had to go back to the library. Second time is the charm I think.

What did you think of it? I read it in an English class in high school and I've always looked back on it fondly, but I might need to read it again to see how it holds up.

1984 is my favorite book of all-time, and since this was my first time reading Animal Farm, I went in with high expectations. Long story short, I loved every minute of it, and was so engrossed by the story and how it progressed. My only complaint is that there were so many characters with different names that it became a bit confusing trying to remember who was who. Regardless, overall I loved the book.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Just started The September House by Carissa Orlando. Definitely curious to see how they address all of the craziness going on this early in the book, ha.

Dec 30, 2020
Currently reading The Wind in the Willows, and The Art of War.
Loved these two, especially loved reading The Wind in the Willows around Christmas time. Also if you have any copies of the game Advance Wars, trying playing it after reading The Art of War and see what it does to your brain. :3

I just finished reading a short story in Cory Doctorow's four-story anthology Radicalized. Based on and named after Poe's Masque of the Red Death, it features an Elon Musk stand-in bringing his closest friends with him to a secure compound to avoid an unspecified 'event', and the hellish chaos that follows. It's exceedingly cathartic if you're not fond of rugged individualism obsessed techbros and grindcore hustle dudes.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Loved these two, especially loved reading The Wind in the Willows around Christmas time. Also if you have any copies of the game Advance Wars, trying playing it after reading The Art of War and see what it does to your brain. :3

I just finished reading a short story in Cory Doctorow's four-story anthology Radicalized. Based on and named after Poe's Masque of the Red Death, it features an Elon Musk stand-in bringing his closest friends with him to a secure compound to avoid an unspecified 'event', and the hellish chaos that follows. It's exceedingly cathartic if you're not fond of rugged individualism obsessed techbros and grindcore hustle dudes.

Now I wish I did have copies of Advance Wars, as I loved playing those game a lot years back. I will definitely be looking into Radicalized, as that is right up my alley. Thank you so much for that suggestion!

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I finished this today which I thought was ace. I feel very lazy making comparisons to it as they're both set in Ireland, but it does kind of have Normal People vibes if that's what you're into, even down to the style of writing.

download.jpg

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just added these books to my list for future reading:

1984 (re-read)
Lord of the Flies
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
The Grapes of Wrath
H.P. Lovecraft
(I have a leather bound book of all his stories)
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Nuclear War: A Scenario

Still thinking about anything else I want to read.

Dec 30, 2020
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
As a companion to Alice's Adventures and Lookingglass, I'll suggest this one:

71xr4NeTKxL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

It works amusingly well, since the original Alice stories are send-ups of various math theories at the time. (For example, the Mad Tea Party plays into things like Hilbert's Grand Hotel. There are infinite rooms, and they're all occupied, but there's always room for one more!)

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
As a companion to Alice's Adventures and Lookingglass, I'll suggest this one:

71xr4NeTKxL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

It works amusingly well, since the original Alice stories are send-ups of various math theories at the time. (For example, the Mad Tea Party plays into things like Hilbert's Grand Hotel. There are infinite rooms, and they're all occupied, but there's always room for one more!)

Oh snap!! My Wife, of whom has been a diehard Alice fan her entire life had no idea this book existed. I am definitely going to snag a physical copy since I cannot find an ebook version for my Kindle. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i've started aggressively clearing my to-read stack by giving each book exactly one chance to grab me before chucking it. Into the donation pile:
  1. A Song for Nagasaki (aggressively preachy about a Japanese guy who converted to Christianity from aethism after seeing the bombing of Nagasaki, thought I could bear with it for historical reasons but alas the tone is too grating)
  2. Totally Wired (about a dotcom swindle in the dotcom era, but journalist put themselves in the narrative too much without being particularly likeable/readable)
  3. #TwoCanPlayThatGame (YA romance fiction about a young Aussie Malaysia/Singaporean gamedev but the fake game stuff and general vibe took me out of it)
Need to have a look at Irwin Shaw's Beggar Man Thief and Rich Man Poor Man again before I chuck it I guess

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
After years of owning it I've finally read the final Culture novel, The Hydrogen Sonata. Was pretty sad after finishing it, knowing that I'll never read another new Culture novel written by Banks again.

Anything worth picking up that has the same vibes? I've read and enjoyed Ancillary Justice and A Memory Called Empire, but still kinda chasing that specific Culture feeling.

After years of owning it I've finally read the final Culture novel, The Hydrogen Sonata. Was pretty sad after finishing it, knowing that I'll never read another new Culture novel written by Banks again.

Anything worth picking up that has the same vibes? I've read and enjoyed Ancillary Justice and A Memory Called Empire, but still kinda chasing that specific Culture feeling.
There is nothing like it imo.

Oct 31, 2017

There's nothing quite like Banks that I've come across.

Have you checked out Alistair Reynolds? The Revelation Space series isn't like the Culture at all, but it has a sort of grim humour to it that I like

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
There's nothing quite like Banks that I've come across.

Have you checked out Alistair Reynolds? The Revelation Space series isn't like the Culture at all, but it has a sort of grim humour to it that I like
Serious question: how horny is Banks? I mare the mistake of reading Hamilton and the book was literally the meme "the writers thinly veiled fetish"

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Finally finished Random Acts of Medicine this week, fantastic read. Very interesting statistics and correlations brought up in the book!

Now starting Every Patient Tells a Story, hoping maybe someday I'll cross paths with the author as I'll be working in the same org as her soon.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Finally started reading The Eyre Affair from Jasper Fforde. I knew I should have listened to my music teacher like a decade and half ago when she said these were good. It is a bit too twee/esoteric for me for complete comfort but it's a damn sight better than most everything else i've read lately.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Finally started reading The Eyre Affair from Jasper Fforde. I knew I should have listened to my music teacher like a decade and half ago when she said these were good. It is a bit too twee/esoteric for me for complete comfort but it's a damn sight better than most everything else i've read lately.
My favourite of his will always be Shades of Grey. Still waiting for the sequel.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Blood Over Bright Haven last night and man, what a fucking banger of a last couple chapters lol. Damn fun book otherwise too, I ended up inadvertently skimming a lot of text here and there cause I was just so hooked on the story. Most of the plot was just a tad predictable after the big reveal, but the main cast easily carried these parts.

A lot of food for thought, too, considering that in the real world I and likely most others on here are basically average Tiranians. It's hardly a new idea (in general or for me) but the book is so blunt about its message(s) regarding privilege, willful ignorance and enjoying a higher quality of life on the backs of others, that it does force you to face that.

Picking up either The Tainted Cup and Sword of Kaigen next. I gather that Kaigen is pretty brutal too, so maybe the former for now.

Last edited:

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished The Tainted Cup, and it was excellent. I couldn't put it down. A very interesting world, with characters to match.

Now I need to start a new book, which always is a struggle for me. Blood Over Bright Haven, the Blacktongue Thief, Sabriel, and a few others are contenders.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I started Blood Over Bright Haven by M.L. Wang last night. I'm really enjoying it so far!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Recently finished:
Empire of the Damned by Jay Kristoff
The Legacy of Yangchen by F.C. Yee

Currently reading The Icarus Job by Timothy Zahn

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Red Side Story arrived in the mail today but I realised it's been like 10 years since I read Shades of Grey and I'll need to do a reread.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Finally started Nuclear War: A Scenario, and good lord what a terrifying situation. Excellent book, and definitely an eye-opener.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Trying to get ahold of Fool by Christopher Moore and somehow lasership just completely lost my book? I loathe that Barnes & Noble uses them still, they've been so bad for years when it has come to BN stuff.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
Toll the Hounds, while a slow burn, culminated in a very satisfying conclusion. on to the next book.

51I7yFEnXRL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This was pretty good. I wish they went more in-depth about their origins, motives, and etc., but it was a good apocalyptic novel.

41hRBo0kIGL.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
81mYkjFywCL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Up to the next, and latest, trilogy of the series. First time re-reading. I've also read the second, but not the third. Then I will be complete on my complete re-read of the series (excluding the canticle quintet and the series with jarlaxle + entreri).

This is book 37 and yet, I feel like this trilogy is showing off how much the series can evolve and go in a very different direction without abandoning it's roots.

This book is oddly good considering how little Drizzt is in it. It has a couple of really good conversations with Drizzt but outside of that it's all catti/entreri/jarlaxle/zak's story. And I guess the city they stumble upon is a character itself. Really sets the trilogy up very well. Almost done... at like 95% done.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Am I looking in the wrong places or is speculative sci fi lost nowadays? I'm talking about sci fi books that explore the near future and philosophical and human implications of technology. Think PKD, black mirror. It seems that the majority of sci fi bestsellers nowadays are space opera or a variation of it. I can only think of Blake Crouch, what am I missing?

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
I just picked up A Touch of Jen by Beth Morgan and it's already starting off unhinged.

The last book I read was Nestlings by Nat Cassidy. Something about it has really stuck with me. The ending has not left my mind in the three weeks since I finished it.

Dec 30, 2020
Am I looking in the wrong places or is speculative sci fi lost nowadays? I'm talking about sci fi books that explore the near future and philosophical and human implications of technology. Think PKD, black mirror. It seems that the majority of sci fi bestsellers nowadays are space opera or a variation of it. I can only think of Blake Crouch, what am I missing?
I might suggest an interesting book called Blindsight by Peter Watts.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Someone else feels like this? Death's End spoilers

Cheng Xin is one of the absolute worst protagonists in fiction lol

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have you looked into Counterweight by Djuna? It feels like PKD by way of William Gibson.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Blood Over Bright Haven by M.L. Wang yesterday(it was REALLY good - 4.5/5), and then started The Spear Cuts Through Water by Simon Jimenez.

Unfortunately, I kinda fell asleep while reading it. I wasn't very far into it, but I hadn't stumbled across anything to latch onto except vibes. Not sure if this one will be for me, as I need more than that(ie: plot, characters). I'll give it some more time for sure though, as I've heard nothing but high praise for it.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Someone else feels like this? Death's End spoilers

Cheng Xin is one of the absolute worst protagonists in fiction lol
I just finished this book minutes ago and damn near the whole thing was kind of a "what the fuck?"

Maybe it just isn't my type of sci fi in the end, or it's too fresh and I need some time to digest it, but I think I liked each book progressively less. I finished "rendezvous with Rama" quite recently and was left with a feeling of awe and of wanting to know more, while death's end left me feeling like I understand little and there's a low chance of understanding more. I don't know how the hell they'll make a season of TV out of a lot of that.

I'm reading some fantasy next, The Novice by Trudi Canavan, but maybe I should read a synopsis of the first book because I read it 2.5 years ago now.

vfQNlte.jpg

Presumably timed to coincide with the release of the TV miniseries adaptation of A Gentleman in Moscow, we have a collection of short fiction by author Amor Towles. I loved Towles' first two books (Rules of Civility and the aforementioned Gentleman), but thought the more recent The Lincoln Highway, while engaging enough, was a bit of an odd choice for him in terms of subject-matter -- he's very much a guy who writes about high society, and a group of midwestern teens in the 1950s was a departure that didn't seem like a natural fit for his approach to dialogue, etc. The stories in Table for Two mostly steer back into the niche that he knows best, i.e., people who have strong opinions about fine dining and exhibits at the Metropolitan Museum. The book is organized into two sections, the first called "New York" and the second "Los Angeles", but the LA section is a single story, the previously released novella "Eve in Hollywood" (apparently this version is revised), which follows a supporting character from Rules of Civility after she abruptly bolted from Manhattan midway through the events of that novel. I knew that this novella existed, but had never read it before, so I was glad to get the opportunity. It's the largest story in the collection by some way, and is kind of Towles doing his own riff on LA noir in the Cain/Ellroy vein (though nowhere near as bleak or twisted, obviously). A very entertaining read.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Feeling like I'm hitting just a bit of a reading slump post-Blood Over Bright Haven, at least fantasy-wise, since I can't get Tainted Cup or Dragonbone Chair to really grab me right now. Maybe I'll finally check out Blindsight since it was brought up, I've been meaning to give it a try for a very long time and I'm in the mood for something distressing and horror-y, and I understand it's quite a bit of those.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Feeling like I'm hitting just a bit of a reading slump post-Blood Over Bright Haven, at least fantasy-wise, since I can't get Tainted Cup or Dragonbone Chair to really grab me right now. Maybe I'll finally check out Blindsight since it was brought up, I've been meaning to give it a try for a very long time and I'm in the mood for something distressing and horror-y, and I understand it's quite a bit of those.
Have you tried The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding? I really enjoyed it.