ara

Oct 26, 2017
Have you tried The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding? I really enjoyed it.

No, first I hear of it, but it sounds like just my kinda thing going by the GR blurb and the Kindle version is just 4 bucks, so I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks!

Edit: no wait, it actually costs one (1) dollar for me lol. That certainly makes it an easy buy!

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Been a while since I've posted here but still continuing to read one book a month and finished "Technofeudalism" by Yanis Varoufakis. I forget why this book was on my reading list and why I started reading it. Especially coming from reading the Manic to this but, despite not agreeing with some of his arguments, was still an interesting read.

Not sure what my next book will be. The Trading Game, Murder Your Employer, or moving on to the fourth book of Slough House.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished The Wind in the Willows, and currently 20% done with Nuclear War: A Scenario. Afterwards, I think I am going to go down a rabbit hole in philosophy, as I an very much drawn to that genre, and feel I will really enjoy it. So, the books I have on my TBR (To be read) list:

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (have not fully started, but will soon).
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Seneca's Letters from a Stoic by Lucius Annaeus Seneca
On the Genealogy of Morals by Friedrich Nietzsche
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
The Passion According to G.H." by Clarice Lispector
The Trial by Franz Kafka
Middlemarch by George Elliot
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kefka

These are the ones I have found commonly recommended online in Reddit and TikTok. I am quite excited to start reading these here soon. :)

Jan 20, 2022
I'm wrapping up Children of Dune and trying to decide where to go next. I'm trying to decide between finishing the Dune series or taking a break to read the 3 Body Problem. I really enjoy the Dune series and I hear God Emperor is the best, but I also hear great things about 3 Body Problem. I'm a pretty slow reader so it'll take me several months to read 3 full novels, which is why I'm at a crossroads about where to go next. I really want to do both!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm wrapping up Children of Dune and trying to decide where to go next. I'm trying to decide between finishing the Dune series or taking a break to read the 3 Body Problem. I really enjoy the Dune series and I hear God Emperor is the best, but I also hear great things about 3 Body Problem. I'm a pretty slow reader so it'll take me several months to read 3 full novels, which is why I'm at a crossroads about where to go next. I really want to do both!
I really recommend 3 Body Problem, but don't do like me and binge everything in 15 days. At the second half of Death's End my brain had turned to mush and I was yelling at the characters at 2am. I think for this series is ideal to read other things between the books.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
A bit off topic but is there an ereader thread somewhere?

Just broke my kindle, and was wondering if anyone else was discussing the subject.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Just broke my kindle, and was wondering if anyone else was discussing the subject.

Not an OT, no, but people have posted random ereader threads over the years and frequently talked about them in this thread too. Both work.

After God Emperor is a better stopping point really, hop now that you have most of the events fresh.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!

Hope I can get a recommendation from anyone in this thread.

Is there any reason not to get a kobo Libra2 Colour? The page turn buttons are really important for me.

Should I rather get a Kindle Oasis instead?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I really recommend 3 Body Problem, but don't do like me and binge everything in 15 days. At the second half of Death's End my brain had turned to mush and I was yelling at the characters at 2am. I think for this series is ideal to read other things between the books.
I read this series over the course of two years, and the shift was noticeable even then. It goes from being a relatively relatable story with actual characters to anchor the perspective to the back half of Death's End being a speed run on sci-fi concepts. I don't even know if I'd recommend reading the trilogy to many people. The first book, sure.

Are you looking into alternative, or wanting to stick with Kindle?

Jan 20, 2022
After God Emperor is a better stopping point really, hop now that you have most of the events fresh.
Good to know! I've heard Heretics and Chapterhouse are the weakest Dune books. I still plan on reading them so I can decide for myself, but if God Emperor is a better pausing point, I'll likely read that one then take a break

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!

Hope I can get a recommendation from anyone in this thread.

Is there any reason not to get a kobo Libra2 Colour? The page turn buttons are really important for me.

Should I rather get a Kindle Oasis instead?
The colour has a much dimmer screen and needs the backlight to hit the same brightness next to a Libra 2. Same with Clara Colour vs Clara BW. The Libra Colour seems nice and I'd replace my Libra 2 with one, but I'd have to charge significantly more often.PPI is twice the density on the BW screens than the colour screens, so the colour stuff is more like an iPhone 3GS compared to an iPhone 4's retina display, if that makes sense.

I'm debating getting a Clara BW to complement my Libra 2. The only reason to get a Libra Colour over a Libra 2 on clearance is if you really care about manga or seeing cover art, and if manga is important I'd probably recommend a larger e-reader anyway. Personally, I'd be likely to read comics on a tablet and leave the e-reader to standard novels.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit, I considered the colour version mostly for the novelty factor more than anything lol

I'm coming from an old Kindle Keyboard, lasted far longer then I ever imagined, so anything is gonna be a massive upgrade.

I'm guessing the lower brightness wouldn't be an issue if I only use ambient light and not the built in lights?

Would the PPI be a huge difference? Its never bothered me on the Kindle Keyboard as far as I can tell.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure, I think for reading colour stuff you would notice. The difference between old LCDs and modern phone screens resolution is massive. The Colour kobos and the BW have Carta 1300 e-ink screens for the black and white, which are significantly snappier than the 1200 in the Libra 2 an other prior Kobos, but the colour layer dimming it is a bummer for me. If you're reading in daylight it probably isn't much different, though I'd still recommend checking out Kobo Reddit threads to be sure. Many people over there are sticking with Libra 2, upgrading to Clara BW or waiting for a Libra 3 / Libra BW rather than getting a Colour. It seems like a divisive issue over there. If you had the option, I'd either go check them out in person at a retail spot, or order a pair from somewhere with a good return policy so you could compare them in person.

I was initially very tempted to upgrade my Libra 2 (and had just purchased a Libra 2 on sale for my wife for her birthday 2 weeks before the Colour announcement) but the most important thing to me is text clarity and screen responsiveness, so I'm either going to get a Clara BW or become one of those people waiting for who-knows-how-long for a Libra BW.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for advice, will definitely be checking out the sub reddit for extra info!

Edit: Watching some videos from the reddit and I totally get what you meant by the dimmness even at zero% lighting.

Doesn't seem that bad but it makes me think it over more for sure.

Last edited:

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
minus_me I agree, it's not *that* bad (things are rarely as bad as enthusiast spaces make them out to be lol), but it's definitely a case where I went from "holy shit, I need this" to "I need to weigh the benefits". It's a technology update that isn't a flat upgrade, it comes with trade offs, so you just have to be honest with yourself about your actual use case rather than the idealized use case that we sometimes talk ourselves into believing we'll have. Particularly since the colour option comes with a price hike compared to alternatives. That said, if you're stuck on a 7" or bigger screen or absolutely need buttons I'd likely get the Libra Colour over a Libra 2 just to have a snappier Overdrive experience and quicker page turns.

Also, as someone who has the white version and bought his partner the black version, if I could do it again I'd do black without a doubt. The black bezel makes the screen look brighter while the white bezel makes the screen look a little duller. Maybe they updated the Libra Colour vs the Libra 2, but on the Libra 2, the back of the white one is just smooth plastic, while the back of the black one has more of a grippy rubberized feel to it, which imo is far superior. If I had of been able to compare them side by side initially there's no way I would have bought the white one.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't pushed me away but paying more for an Oasis without the option to use colour seems dumb so I'll probably get it regardless lol

Thanks again!

To be on topic, I finished Shards of Earth before I cracked my screen and came out enjoying it quite a bit.

Moving onto The Dark Forest after really not enjoying book 1 but feeling compelled after watching the adaption.

once i pick up a new reader anyhow lol

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
minus_me each of the books in that trilogy are quite different, or it felt that way to me at least, and allegedly Dark Forest has the least proficient translation, but I thought it was pretty decent once I got used to the different characters. I read it on the Libra 2, maybe it can be the maiden voyage for your Libra Colour!

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Books with a bookmark in them with some progression:

81y6PB2ICnL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_DpWeblab_.jpg
615dg6AY+NL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
61H+pOSYwxL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm on the boox side of the epaper debate because i have a bunch of extra shit i need to run for language study reasons. fuck it's so good though. can't wait to upgrade to something with a higher refresh rate and colour (only because i do note-taking though, i wouldn't bother for pure reading, can't hold a candle to the ipad)

for manga though I don't think you can go anywhere below 10'' or so, maybe 9'' in a real desperate situation, 8'' is too small. Even 11'' or so is a bit dodgy for comics. It's not as bad on iPad or something because refresh rate makes scrolling okay, but you don't want to do much scrolling on an eReader if you can avoid it. I haven't tested eg with Boox super refresh or whatever but I can't imagine it's comparable to a LCD reader

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I also really like my Book Note Air (iirc). I got it for PDFs (which are kinda clunky to read on a regular Kindle Paperwhite) and for sheet music, but the fact that it is Android based makes it very versatile.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I also really like my Book Note Air (iirc). I got it for PDFs (which are kinda clunky to read on a regular Kindle Paperwhite) and for sheet music, but the fact that it is Android based makes it very versatile.
yeah being able to set up autosyncing etc is great. do you use einkbro? paginating websites is a godsend. you have to sideload it though because the app developer got accidentally striked on google play, which fucking sucks

ara

Oct 26, 2017
My old Paperwhite chews through its battery in like 3-4 hours of reading with low backlight nowadays, really want to get one of those fancy bigger ones with the page turn buttons, but man do they tend to cost. I don't read quite enough to justify paying 300+ euros for a Kindle Oasis.

Guess I'll drive this thing to the ground and get the then-newest Paperwhite again. Certainly looking forward to being able to make the backlight warmer.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished "The Ferryman" by Justin Cronin. I bought it when it released, but events occurred in my life that didn't allow me to get back to it until recently. Restarted it and devoured it over the last 2 weeks. It reminded me why I love his writing style. First novel I've fully finished in a couple years and I have plenty more half-started books to work through on my Kindle.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
yeah being able to set up autosyncing etc is great. do you use einkbro? paginating websites is a godsend. you have to sideload it though because the app developer got accidentally striked on google play, which fucking sucks
I was not familiar with it, but I also don't use the web browser much. The main reader works quite well for regular books and for pdfs, so I mainly stick to that and MobileSheets for music stuff. I haven't so far used it that much for Japanese, mainly because I'm always looking stuff up (and a regular phone screen works better for repeatedly opening/closing popups).

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I was not familiar with it, but I also don't use the web browser much. The main reader works quite well for regular books and for pdfs, so I mainly stick to that and MobileSheets for music stuff. I haven't so far used it that much for Japanese, mainly because I'm always looking stuff up (and a regular phone screen works better for repeatedly opening/closing popups).

yeah, i read novels in ttsu in kiwibrowser (because you can load chrome extensions like yomitan in it), but for stuff I read in PDF/Bookwalker/Kindle I just use my phone to look stuff up.

I have to read long swathes of text on websites for my work, though, which is where einkbrowser comes in

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Finished reading this today. I wasn't quite sure it was for me during the first hundred or so pages, but thankfully it took hold of me and it ended up being one of the best things I've read in ages. Absolutely loved it.

images.jpg

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Jonnykong that's good to hear, it's been on my library holds for probably years at this point and I've been meaning to get to it. Probably will within the next couple months.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
About halfway into Mystic River (never watched the movie), after 3 Body Problem trilogy that's exactly what I needed

Jan 20, 2022
So I just finished Children of Dune. Really liked it, probably my favorite of the series so far. But I'm worried about progressing. Reading the introduction of God Emperor of Dune, it says book 4 was meant to be a bridge to a new trilogy, which Herbert never got the chance to finish. The first three novels each end pretty definitively. With each one I felt like I could stop there and be fine. Does this trend continue through the whole series? Or does the series just end of a cliffhanger?

I know Brian Herbert used Franks notes to later finish the series, but I've also heard Brian Herbert's Dune books are trash

So I just finished Children of Dune. Really liked it, probably my favorite of the series so far. But I'm worried about progressing. Reading the introduction of God Emperor of Dune, it says book 4 was meant to be a bridge to a new trilogy, which Herbert never got the chance to finish. The first three novels each end pretty definitively. With each one I felt like I could stop there and be fine. Does this trend continue through the whole series? Or does the series just end of a cliffhanger?

I know Brian Herbert used Franks notes to later finish the series, but I've also heard Brian Herbert's Dune books are trash
www.resetera.com

What Are You Reading? |OT| One Thread to Rule Them All OT

Dune Main Series Thoughts So yeah, I got thinks to say: 1. If I ever meet someone that says "Yeah Dune is my favorite Sci-fi series, What no I only read the first one" I will turn around and start running. The first part is a triptych, the next two books explain a lot of thing that you...

God Emperor is the conclusion for the original trilogy (come on the first book literally ends abruptly) everything that started there concludes in it.

For the rest, see above.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Just finished The Wager. Eh, was ok. Maybe my expectations were too high going in. Fairly pedestrian retelling of mutiny and shipwreck. Book ended up being more notes than story. Was interesting to learn about but I found the writing bland.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished The Wager. Eh, was ok. Maybe my expectations were too high going in. Fairly pedestrian retelling of mutiny and shipwreck. Book ended up being more notes than story. Was interesting to learn about but I found the writing bland.
Shame it didn't work for you, I absolutely loved the story and writing. Thought it was an incredibly captivating telling

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017

Had the same thoughts. Strangely didn't feel like a story with any people in it. They were just blank slates who wrote a diary entry about how much they liked whittling or some shit and that's the only distinguishing trait they have.

I don't think the whole non-fiction written like fiction works for me. I can see the editorialization of the research through the middling writing and it bugs me.

Oct 28, 2017
Started Neuromancer.

in a weird way this is such a foundational work that you wouldn't really notice it if you don't know. Like if I didn't know Gibson basically invented the genre I'd say this is just another cyberpunk novel. it's all there

Except the writing is fantastic. I'm not even really into the story or characters, but whenever Gibson wants to show off a bit this almost turns into poetry

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Can anyone recommend a good book on the history of the Israel/Palestine conflict, preferably something that'd have an audiobook?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It was a decent first contact book. It gets a bit long winded at times because it gets technical in some places, but overall it was good and the ending was satisfying.

71IMFdIdNPL._SY466_.jpg

Dec 30, 2020
81xC5kCBZIL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Just finished Zachary Ying and the Dragon Emperor and really enjoyed it. It's essentially akin to Percy Jackson but for Chinese history and mythology. I also appreciate that the main character is gay, and that they actually have a reason why immortal spirits fear 'dying' when they can just respawn. I could see this being a pretty kick-ass movie if the Chinese government was a bit more open and willing because it has some pretty harsh criticism in it as well. It ends on a cliffhanger, but a pretty good one, and I liked that Zack puts in some work, as opposed to some YA novels where the main character's just dragged along by their friends the whole way.

61jyAIM5QDL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Finished the next novella in A Pocketful of Lies: Masters in This Hall. A very nice story about a disgraced detective trying to foil a heist at his uncle's estate during the holidays, while indulging in some very cozy gay hijinks with another character. Taking a brief break from the collection to save the remaining two novellas. So two more books are taking their places.

81yLptkZGbL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

71w0e6zz+VL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

About a quarter of the way through both Piranesi, and This is How you Lose the Time War, and really enjoying both. I like the surreal mystery of Piranesi, and really liking the medium of communication between the two main character in Time War. I'll try not to say more than that on them as I feel like spoilers would really diminish one's enjoyment of them.

Also currently looking into a Summertime reading project that might be either really fun or really painful, or quite possibly both.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Started Neuromancer.

in a weird way this is such a foundational work that you wouldn't really notice it if you don't know. Like if I didn't know Gibson basically invented the genre I'd say this is just another cyberpunk novel. it's all there

Except the writing is fantastic. I'm not even really into the story or characters, but whenever Gibson wants to show off a bit this almost turns into poetry

him and stephenson are legit writers. i think i need to reread snow crash, but i love diamond age (well, the first half anyway) and cryptonomicon

Dec 30, 2020
him and stephenson are legit writers. i think i need to reread snow crash, but i love diamond age (well, the first half anyway) and cryptonomicon
Snow Crash was fun. Although the thing that stuck in my head the most was the idea of hanging your mouth open to hear better, because you use your head as a sort of receiver dish?

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Just finished the Human Division by John Scalzi, very entertaining and easy to read, story is a bit disjointed because the main characters get sent to different missions that are only loosely connected, but I assume that is mainly done for character development and to set up the final chapter in the Old Mans War series.

Read (and liked) the earlier entries quite some time ago so I had to get reacquainted with some of the characters and lore, but imho it can also be read as a standalone book. Can only recommend it for people who are looking for scifi books that don't take themselves very seriously and stories that are easy to follow. I assume most of the tech and science described is far from realistic, so if that bothers anyone stay far away ^^

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
minus_me each of the books in that trilogy are quite different, or it felt that way to me at least, and allegedly Dark Forest has the least proficient translation, but I thought it was pretty decent once I got used to the different characters. I read it on the Libra 2, maybe it can be the maiden voyage for your Libra Colour!

Ended up borrowing my sisters paperwhite after noticing how much of that screen door effect is on those kaleido colour screens. I have a feeling that would bother me, but still gonna check it out if they get one in store to try out. May wait to see if the next kindle's have colour screens or not possibly as well.

I kinda want a Boox Palma now lol

Anyway, starting The Dark Forest!

Last edited: