AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
MPG-09 is Anime Ginrai with trailer

Sure, but a toy version that gives us Powermaster Prime without the Super Powermaster armor sure is a choice. But I guess the MPG looks toylike enough.

Also, sounds like finally KITT will have a face. Wonder if his mouth will be this:

il_570xN.2547195716_6knt.jpg

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I'm feeling the Super Ginrai proportions but we'll see.

I wonder if this kinda replaces any Haslab or commander class offering but then again we had Jetfire get two versions close together a while back.

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Will get Swoop to complete the group but kinda wish he came with swords for all the Dinobots to make up for him being leader priced and there's no way the engineering is that complicated.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Will get Swoop to complete the group but kinda wish he came with swords for all the Dinobots to make up for him being leader priced and there's no way the engineering is that complicated.

They know they could get away with anything.

No one is this far into the team and could be like "Nar f this, I'm not getting Swoop."

Irritatingly dragged it out forever, then phoned it in. :|

DarkOxygen

Oct 30, 2017
MMC have (finally!) posted pictures of their Initial D x Drift mashup, and it looks pretty neat. A good compliment to their original IDW Drift:

435203531_820882920057878_8772806182039471972_n-jpg.30330342
434327969_820701860075984_8916121714647611662_n-jpg.30330346

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I feel like that turtle mashup is such a missed opportunity. When I first saw the pics I was like cool, the four combine into a van but nope, just alternate heads.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
They know they could get away with anything.

No one is this far into the team and could be like "Nar f this, I'm not getting Swoop."

Irritatingly dragged it out forever, then phoned it in. :|

He looks exactly the same level of quality and with the same design aesthetic as the other four. What were people expecting him to be?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm fine with him!

I think his torso is maybe a little too wide/short, so he looks a bit more squat than my mental image of him, but otherwise I have no issues.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy with him, I'm just saying I wish they had given him the other Dinobot swords to make up for his size.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Swoop feels a little stumpy, but I've basically felt that about all the Dinobots. He feels right in line with his crew, so it's fine imo.

The line in general has some proportions that are just slightly off, at least to me. Like I see a lot of slightly stumpy bodies and loooong faces. But I like Swoop so I'm probably in and I like the Grimlock mold so I'll get the rumored blue G2 one if it happens. I've slept on the rest so I doubt I can get the whole squad in standard colors for retail price anymore. Much like the Fans Toys dinobots, I jumped in late and never finished the team.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
There's supposed to be a reissue of SS86 Grimlock in 2025. So you don't have to settle for the G2 one. Hoping they ditch Wheelie and have him include the remaining swords.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
BBTS still has them. On another note I'm surprised Hasbro Pulse has Slug back in stock, was that there for a while?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't see myself landing a PO at Amazon unless I'm looking at the right website the right minute. Crazy.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't see myself landing a PO at Amazon unless I'm looking at the right website the right minute. Crazy.

Yeah I was really bummed the TMNT crossover sold out instantly at Target so I was unable to use a 20 off 75 toy coupon they had running.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Got Swoop on PO. Debating whether I want to scoop the other 3 that are available here and there. Having the whole team for once would be neat, but I also don't really collect mainline. I've bent the rules for a few really neat figures, but I don't know if all 5 dinobots qualify the same way as Armada Prime did, or the best Hot Rod they've ever done, or a few others.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
As someone who drooled all over Powermaster Prime as a kid, that just isn't doing it for me for some reason.

I know it's closer to the anime, but I miss the chunkiness.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I have no nostalgia for Ginrai or Powermaster, but I think I prefer Fanshobby's chunky ass take over this particular one.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who drooled all over Powermaster Prime as a kid, that just isn't doing it for me for some reason.

I know it's closer to the anime, but I miss the chunkiness.

Yeah this is...off somehow. Whereas FansHobby is too clunky, chunky, and kibbly, this is...streamlined to the point of being kind of creepy looking? I don't know quite how to describe it. I hate the fingers. I'll keep waiting for XTB to finish theirs, that one has the right proportions to me.

How big is he supposed to be? Some are saying the core robot is too small.

The trailer being MPG does suggest it's going to be too small to scale with the usual MPs. But the core robot might be MP-10 sized since the toy deco one is in the main MP line? It's confusing.

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
MP Ginrai is tempting after I missed out on the Legends Ginrai and Godbomber release. Maybe I should just bite the bullet on aftermarket but sorta want to wait more to see if they'll churn out a new generations release.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
MP Ginrai is tempting after I missed out on the Legends Ginrai and Godbomber release. Maybe I should just bite the bullet on aftermarket but sorta want to wait more to see if they'll churn out a new generations release.

Legends requires a lot of (now very pricey) Perfect Effect upgrades to be worthwhile, in my opinion. I would keep an eye on X-Transbots' set. The trailer is out but the cab and Godbomber are still forthcoming. Probably a ways off to avoid drawing the Takara lawyers' attention since an official version is coming. There has been some speculation that a Generations God Ginrai could be a Haslab at some point but that would be years away.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm inclined to believe the Amazon Japan figures for height, which is ~11 inches for super mode. Ginrai himself all I can find are packaging dimensions, but I would expect given the former that he is going to be about chug prime size, maybe a bit larger. That would line up price wise too.

I'm not sure I like any of the 3p offerings, though in general I do like bulkier proportions over more slender ones. This one will be better than the last official one if the God Ginrai form is able to stand on its own.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
What does that mean, is MPG a new line or is that an existing line that MP is being merged with?

edited to add: oh MPG is what the trainbots are under? I guess that's not just a gattai/combining brand after all?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't notice it at the time but the G in MPG also can stand for "Great" or "Giant".

I don't think traditional MPs will stop it is just a branding change.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently not. Word is the Ginrai super mode is only 11 inches tall, so they seem to be sticking to the smaller MPG scale.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People should not expect Ginrai to be the same size as MP-44 (for example) based on the price alone.

I don't think everything will be the size of Ginrai/Trainbots, but this naming scheme will allow them to make smaller figures they otherwise wouldn't have been able to make at the previous scale. If they come out with a Grimlock 2.0 or Soundwave 2.0, I'd expect them to be more in line with the previous MP figures.

Now if/when they do more JPG1 figures I would say it is a tossup, as they might prefer characters from the same series to be in same scale.

StrontiumPawg

Jan 4, 2024
if this Ginrai is closer to CHUG scale that works out for me. i dunno if i'll want to go in on the kinds of prices these figures have but given how long we'll probably be waiting for a possible Generations Ginrai otherwise (feels like this year's Haslab would've been the time for it otherwise, given the PMOP crossbranding opportunity with the 40th anniversary and the fact that it was an Optimus anyway) i might have to keep an eye on the MPG set with the trailer

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever's the case, I think 3rd parties will pick up the slack. I heard 3rd parties abandoned CHUG because the quality of mainstream CHUG being cheaper and they couldn't compete.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Apparently not. Word is the Ginrai super mode is only 11 inches tall, so they seem to be sticking to the smaller MPG scale.

This sounds correct size according to the scale chart? Star Saber is the same size as God Ginrai. Star Saber is 14 inches and I'm sure Godbomber will add add some height to the 11 inch Super Ginrai

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds correct size according to the scale chart? Star Saber is the same size as God Ginrai. Star Saber is 14 inches and I'm sure Godbomber will add add some height to the 11 inch Super Ginrai

MP Star Saber is closer to 12" and has always been considered a bit too small for MP scale. Before the Haslab, many people used MP Star Saber as part of their CHUG collection rather than an MP.

Ginrai is definitely going to be smaller than standard MP scale. MP-44 Optimus is 9.5" so I don't really see how a super mode for a robot that size can be only an inch and a half taller.