Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I want to be excited about Springer, but there's some choices I'm not really a fan of. The wheels on his biceps being one. In fact, the arms and shoulders in their entirety seem like a downgrade over his Siege incarnation. Bit disappointed in truth seeing as he's one of my favorite characters. Also, since I don't collect mainline much he seems small? Seeing him on a table gives me more voyager vibes than leader vibes but maybe that's just how size classes work these days.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Also I didn't realize the teaser picture they showed of the Leader Soundwave was the package art for core class. So I'm not sure if they're going to actually remold Netflix Soundwave to remove the extra extraneous details.

I'm sure some people ordered that Nemesis Bridge Set primarily for that Soundwave as well so I wonder how many people are ticked.

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
I want to be excited about Springer, but there's some choices I'm not really a fan of. The wheels on his biceps being one. In fact, the arms and shoulders in their entirety seem like a downgrade over his Siege incarnation. Bit disappointed in truth seeing as he's one of my favorite characters. Also, since I don't collect mainline much he seems small? Seeing him on a table gives me more voyager vibes than leader vibes but maybe that's just how size classes work these days.
Leader these days frequently seem to be Voyager-sized with a bunch of accessories, I think.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town

Sorry if I missed the initial post, but which Springer are you referring to? He's a dope model, one that I own, but I do like to compare to see if anything looks better than what I already have.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. See also: Sandstorm

I already have Siege Springer, don't think I'll double-dip for SS86. On a related note, anyone have opinions on what the best 3rd-party Springer is? I was going to default to Ocular Max Saltus.

As a big time Springer fan, I have issues with basically all of them.

I think XTB probably has the most animation accurate one (the chest sucks though imo), but as I recall his QC is questionable at best.

FT is a wide boy and not as on model as he could be, but I still think I like him the best.

Allen from Unique toys has the worst face (which is a huge detriment imo), barely any paint, and he's really almost too much of a brick. He also feels more like a mainline release in terms of plastics and articulation. But he has his charms as a simple, chonky bot.

MMCs is supposed to be solid, but I think the chest sucks there too and his car mode is...IDW inspired? Maybe? Whatever it is I don't really care for it. But I've only heard good things about that one.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if I missed the initial post, but which Springer are you referring to? He's a dope model, one that I own, but I do like to compare to see if anything looks better than what I already have.

They revealed the 86 leader one on stream this morning, I should have been more specific in my post. I think the Siege one is a better attempt and am I bit bummed by the one shown today.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
As a big time Springer fan, I have issues with basically all of them.

I think XTB probably has the most animation accurate one (the chest sucks though imo), but as I recall his QC is questionable at best.

FT is a wide boy and not as on model as he could be, but I still think I like him the best.

Allen from Unique toys has the worst face (which is a huge detriment imo), barely any paint, and he's really almost too much of a brick. He also feels more like a mainline release in terms of plastics and articulation. But he has his charms as a simple, chonky bot.

MMCs is supposed to be solid, but I think the chest sucks there too and his car mode is...IDW inspired? Maybe? Whatever it is I don't really care for it. But I've only heard good things about that one.

One of them were on sale on one of those daily BBTS deals so I watched this to figure out if I wanted him:
www.youtube.com

Comparison: X-Transbots Virtus VS FansToys Apache VS MMC Saltus (AKA Springer)

00:00 Images00:28 Introduction1:51 Accessories4:02 Gimmicks4:30 Cartoon Accuracy6:50 Sculpt8:07 Paint10:21 Build12:05 Articulation16:34 Transformation & Engi...

and I decided nah I'll wait some more.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Just pre-ordered a bunch. Springer, steel, bee and missing link bee/cliff.

I do hope the missing link ones dont come in those cass with a plastic bubble glued to a piece of card. Managed to get missing link Prime from kapowtoys ebay with a not mint box but other than a small scuff its perfect and brand new. I'm interested to see how they handle other G1 figures like Jazz and Prowl if they come.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

I already have Siege Springer, don't think I'll double-dip for SS86. On a related note, anyone have opinions on what the best 3rd-party Springer is? I was going to default to Ocular Max Saltus.

The best made of them is Fanstoys Apache, but as for the best likeness, that's extremely up to personal taste and what you prefer Springer to look like. Part of that is the fact that he's drawn slightly differently in almost every appearance, especially his alt modes. None of the figures really nail it but Fanstoys, Ocular Max, and X-Transbots are all high quality and your best options to choose between. I'd avoid Open & Play and Unique Toys just due to build quality, I wasn't impressed with either of them. Fanstoys is my display Springer, but I came real close to replacing him with the XTB version, which I have never, ever even considered doing before. There's definitely still room for a definitive MP Springer if anyone wants to attempt it.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
SS-86 Springer is back up for pre-order on Hasbro Pulse. Just ordered mine since I've been holding off on the guy for the studio series version since that's the line I'm deepest into.

I'll take the better coloring, but have the same gripes about the weird spindly arms with wheels on them that others have mentioned…

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Finally making decent progress into Japan G1 and am a dozen or so episodes into Headmasters. It was slow going at first and I dropped it several times, but now real stuff is actually happening. I generally liked G1 Season 3 but not very much consequential happened, or at least I don't remember if it did. So far we have killed Optimus again, blown up cybertron, (seemingly) killed Galvatron, Rodimus Kup and Blur go riding off into sunset (though Arcee has to stay behind to watch the kids, lol)

The subtitles on what I assume is the most recent release are pretty bad though. Lots of typos and "hey that isn't what they said" fairly often.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Finally making decent progress into Japan G1 and am a dozen or so episodes into Headmasters. It was slow going at first and I dropped it several times, but now real stuff is actually happening. I generally liked G1 Season 3 but not very much consequential happened, or at least I don't remember if it did. So far we have killed Optimus again, blown up cybertron, (seemingly) killed Galvatron, Rodimus Kup and Blur go riding off into sunset (though Arcee has to stay behind to watch the kids, lol)

The subtitles on what I assume is the most recent release are pretty bad though. Lots of typos and "hey that isn't what they said" fairly often.

For a real trip, watch Headmasters again with the Omni dub. If you're jarred by the subs being different, wait until you hear the dubs.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm definitely getting that Straxus. That was my first Marvel G1 issue and I always liked his weird design. Darkmount was unfortunately not very good.

So I hear it's Hasbro Pulse exclusive? I'm wondering whether I should just preorder it there or hope for another retailer to get it.

I've just started reading the IDW "More Than Meets the Eye" comic run over the last week or so. Very much a Transformers casual (watched the cartoon as a kid, played the Cybertron games, seen a handful of the films) so many characters are unknown to me, but I'm loving the artwork and finding the dialogue to be sharp and fun.

Creating my own upscaled "remasters" as I go due to the very low-res nature of the ebook copies I have on Humble. Fortunately the art is well suited to upscaling and looks much better on my tablet this way.

Well, the thing with MTMTE is that pretty much the entire cast except Hot Rod, Ratchet and Ultra Magnus were complete unknowns before that series. James Roberts specifically picked characters he could build up from scratch. Those like Chromedome and Brainstorm only had tiny appearances in G1, and I don't think Whirl, Swerve or Rewind ever had anything. Cyclonus is completely different.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The comic book line, which Straxus is a part of (and also includes comic Grimlock and comic Shockwave) are Pulse exclusives, I don't see them being available anywhere else unless they just bomb and they have so many extra they have to sell it to BBTS or something. That's not to say they won't reuse the mold down the line though.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Well, the thing with MTMTE is that pretty much the entire cast except Hot Rod, Ratchet and Ultra Magnus were complete unknowns before that series. James Roberts specifically picked characters he could build up from scratch. Those like Chromedome and Brainstorm only had tiny appearances in G1, and I don't think Whirl, Swerve or Rewind ever had anything. Cyclonus is completely different.

Excuse me, Chromedome had a whole G1 show.

View: https://youtu.be/t9B0Vrm0lIk?si=UPBjirR_ExIXXitq

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Even though that is a vastly more interesting take on Star Saber than any other incarnation of him. Much like Chromedome. And, well, pretty much every character in MTMTE is that.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Not in this/US continuity. And if you haven't read the comic but love the Japanese shows, let's just say you won't be happy about Star Saber...

I really like the Omni dubs of the Japanese shows. Plus it's interesting to see the Japanese context for the toys we got.

Luckily I'm more of a Liokaiser fan.

Even though that is a vastly more interesting take on Star Saber than any other incarnation of him. Much like Chromedome. And, well, pretty much every character in MTMTE is that.

The Omni dubs have an interesting take on everyone!

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

That makes sense. I'm really enjoying the storytelling so far; there's a ton of great dialogue and the stories themselves are compelling and varied. I just last night finished the story involving the psychiatrist Rung and Fortress Maximus. Whirl made me chuckle a lot.

Oct 26, 2017

While I enjoy his early reviews (he must be getting leaked stuff from the factory), some of his descriptions are annoying at this point. Here, count how many times he says "this sucker".

I'll probably be getting this too. I still prefer the MP Grimlock and I don't really care for Sludge or Slug. But I've always liked Swoop and Snarl. At least I don't need to be a completionist.

As for MTMTE, I also enjoy how many brand new characters Roberts created for it. The main line mostly got the fan interaction ones like Windblade and Drift, but this series is packed with them (like Rung). The only downside is that many of them still lack toys.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Got around to putting this model kit together:

53729479612_118255f72a_c.jpg

53730735964_f0c924baf2_c.jpg

The build itself is quite simple, though the instructions, while in English, leave out a couple of steps here and there, but you can just follow along with the photos and have no problem putting it together...

53730403351_c33a6e8dc8_c.jpg

53730735714_b7a39be3b4_c.jpg

53730831970_60956e5066_c.jpg

I will say that how you get his eyes to light up has to be the most insane design choice I have ever seen. So instead of having a button on the back of the head or something, you actually have to have his gun touch his head????? I know it makes zero sense, but thats what they chose to go with. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Here, count how many times he says "this sucker".

I honestly never noticed it. Might as well make a drinking game out of it.

I will say that how you get his eyes to light up has to be the most insane design choice I have ever seen. So instead of having a button on the back of the head or something, you actually have to have his gun touch his head????? I know it makes zero sense, but thats what they chose to go with. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's pretty normal actually. Well, normal for 3rd party figures. A lot of them use magnets to trigger the light function.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Right, you don't have to use the gun it just has a magnet in it.

Those yolopark "model kits" are great. There must be some limitation they have with licensing where they have to call these model kits but these are not sprue-filled gundam like kits at all but more like build a figures that they contractually can't call an action figure or something.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So the rumor going around is that they're already making the next TF show and Earthspark is pretty much cancelled.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
That seems about right. Hasbro knows that you lose each group of kids pretty fast as they age out of toys earlier and earlier. The turnover rate of the shows aimed at younger audiences being 2-3 years has been pretty constant for a long time now. I'm surprised the Prime continuity lasted as long as it did even in its loosely connected form through Rescue Bots, really.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Going for a TF One show, maybe? Capitalize on the movie if it's successful and "prevent confusion" and all that stuff?

Whatever they do, hopefully it gets new toys instead of a bunch of Cyberverse repaints.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Considering TF One does seem aimed pretty young, having a tie-in show ready to go this fall/winter would make a lot of sense.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017

Depends what you are looking for in a Springer, I bought the XTB since it has by far the best vehicle modes and is the most g1 accurate across the board. No qc issues with my copy either since it came with the replacement plastic shoulders.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Depends what you are looking for in a Springer, I bought the XTB since it has by far the best vehicle modes and is the most g1 accurate across the board. No qc issues with my copy either since it came with the replacement plastic shoulders.

XTB's copter mode is incredibly inaccurate, though. Shape's all wrong, and the back half of the copter is all grey when it should be green. There is no MP Springer that gets everything right.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
XTB's copter mode is incredibly inaccurate, though. Shape's all wrong, and the back half of the copter is all grey when it should be green. There is no MP Springer that gets everything right.

Shape is definitely accurate, the rear of the copter being more grey than it should be is fair, but is a minor price to pay for the perfection of the rest of the modes.
The only copter mode that can compete is the FansToys version, but that suffers massively in car mode and robot mode because of it.

You are right though there is no perfect Springer, XTB is just the closest IMO.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Shape is definitely accurate, the rear of the copter being more grey than it should be is fair, but is a minor price to pay for the perfection of the rest of the modes.
The only copter mode that can compete is the FansToys version, but that suffers massively in car mode and robot mode because of it.

You are right though there is no perfect Springer, XTB is just the closest IMO.

Don't get me wrong, XTB is a great Springer. I almost replaced my FT in the display with XTB, as I said, and the helicopter whirling blade effect piece is as wonderful as it is extra. But no, the shape ain't even close.

DrWBzw2.png

mZHmO9L.png

Not to say any of the others nail it, either, but XTB doesn't do it any better than they do. Minor issue, really, considering 99% of people are going to have him in bot mode, and his alt modes look different almost shot to shot in Season 3.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the PS2 Armada game to celebrate.

Edit: something I didn't realize was how you can unlock toy instructions in the game, so weird.

Last edited: