Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
With Express Passes & Park hoppers, you will be able to hop between the parks quite frequently. Unlike Disney World, Universal Studios Florida & Islands of Adventures are literally next door to each other. You are going to have a blast! Be sure to stay around for the Mardi Gras parade, your son will love it I bet.

Those were all major factors in us doing Universal for this trip. Universal offers so many added conveniences over Disney, and it goes without saying it is going to be way less expensive than Disney would have been.

When you get closer to the trip, I HIGHLY recommend getting some dining reservations for some of the City Walk (the shopping/dining area just in front of the parks). While not as crazy as the Disney ecosystem on getting reservations (can literally get them a few days in advance), it will be busy since it's spring break.
Here are some we highly recommend: Cowfish, Vivo, Antijitos, Bigfire Grill & Chocolate Emporium (your son will love it)

Btw, tip on Chocolate Emporium (for you & lush ) - The food is ok, but huge portions. We split a salad with this almond chocolate bread last time and was really good. So keep in mind. But the thing best there is the atmosphere and of course the shakes / sundaes. You can even get those without actually sitting down to eat.

I actually made a reservation for Toothsome's for the final night of our trip back when I made the hotel reservation. It was very nice to not have to do the Disney thing of waking up at 6am 60 days in order to do the meal reservations. I have some other meal reservations booked as well, but your additional restaurant recommendations are definitely appreciated.

Volcano Bay is a blast and so much fun. I recommend trying to start heading over at least 30 minutes before Early Hours even begins. Given that the bus from Royal Pacific only comes like every 30 min to VB, I'd kinda recommend maybe head out of your hotel room an hour before. All of the VB is so much fun, esp for the lazy rivers and aqua coaster slide. Make sure you bring a towel from the hotel!!

Btw: For Pool hoping, I think you need to ask the lobby check-in person for a pass for that or to activate it? Idk how it works. I tried it once and our key didn't work (from Aventura -> Cabana Bay). But luckily it's easy to get in via heavy bag swung over o hit the gates lol.

Oh good catch I forgot about this! You bring your key card with you to the hotel you're going to hop to and that's where you get it activated.

These are great tips. Regarding the VB buses only running every 30 minutes, do you think it would be feasible to walk there from RP? I have read that Cabana Bay and one other hotel (I think Adventura?) have pathways directly to VB, and Royal Pacifc is close to those, but it is hard to tell if the overall walk would be worth it.

Regarding pool hopping, that's definitely one of the things I'm hoping to work out with the concierge on our first day. There are a bunch of little things that I'm not totally sure how they work with universal. Like, apparently I need to pick up physical ticket lanyards instead of it just being linked to my hotel room? And a second physical lanyard for photo pass? I have seen conflicting answers about both of those. At Disney that stuff is just automatically linked though my Disney account and magic bands for my family.

One more question about Volcano Bay: Will my existing express passes (from my hotel reservation) apply to VB? I have seen conflicting things about this as well. I have seen that it has its own system with the taputapu wrist bands, so I don't know how much express pass would even matter for that park, but it looks like some version of express pass does exist there.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
1) Yes, there is security along the walking path AND before you board the boat. Due to where the boat docks at the resort and CityWalk are located it might be quicker to walk to IOA than take the boat depending on which tower you are in.

Thank you for this confirmation. We will be arriving in the afternoon on our first day at the hotel, so I'm hoping to work out all of these transportation questions so we will be ready and organized for an early start for our first park day the next morning. We are generally inclined to walk in these situations (versus waiting for buses, boats, etc), but it sounds like the boats are a popular and convenient option.

2) Pools will be crowded but manageable. I like UOR's pool set ups over Disney's - you'll find mobile ordering from chairs, better pool bars, better food, DJs, etc. I think you'll want to stay at RPR's pool the most as it's just closer, but go to Sapphire Falls if your kids (or hell you) want a water slide.

The pool hopping thing is definitely more applicable to my family than it might be for most people. If we are going to be spending multiple afternoons swimming, I know my son would enjoy checking out the pools at the other hotels if given the option. That said, I can definitely see a scenario where we are so exhausted from our time in the parks that we never leave RP, lol.

3) Look into booking the premium seats a week out or so based on the weather if you can. Send one person to pick up the premium seating area and then the other person can take the kids to Krakatau before it gets slammed. VB is a weird park, so read up on it before you visit.

touringplans.com

Getting to Know Universal: Volcano Bay Basics | TouringPlans.com Blog

Whether you are a long-time Walt Disney World guest looking to switch your vacation up or you are visiting Orlando for t

Good to know.

4) GOOD NEWS - Universal has the best rider swap in the business! Your whole family can go through the queue and before the load room is a room with entertainment for the rest of the party to wait! Do note that VelociCoaster is running at a reduced capacity right now and the lines have gotten INSANE. Check the waits before your trip and maybe plan on doing it first thing in the morning.

That's extremely helpful to know regarding rider swap. That's definitely new information to me. I had mentioned Velocicoaster specifically, but I'm sure my wife and I would enjoy doing more of the adult rides if we could work out a convenient system for covering our son.

As for UOR attractions that are underrated, make sure to see these:
  • Horror Make up Show (USF) - A comedy show that shows how movie special effects and monsters are created. The whole show is sold by two amazing hosts, and if you're lucky you'll get the best.
  • Blues Brothers show (USF) - Located in NYC it's a quick street show with live music that
  • Olivanders Wand Experience (both parks) - cute show where you a child gets selected to test out wands like from the movie
  • Raptor Encounter (IOA) - a neat meet and greet with huge puppets

Much appreciated. We are definitely looking forward to checking out the overall park offerings beyond just the thrill rides. The Horror Make up Show in particular sounds like a good fit for us.

As for Mardi Gras here are my articles on this year's event.

touringplans.com

Universal Orlando Mardi Gras 2024 Guide | TouringPlans.com Blog

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Universal Orlando's Mardi Gras celebrates all things carnival with food, concerts, a bead

touringplans.com

Universal Orlando Mardi Gras 2024 Best Bites & Menus | TouringPlans.com Blog

This past weekend the TouringPlans Foodie Squad visited Universal Studios Florida to sip and snack their around Universa

And of course, I'd be remiss not to sell you on the Unofficial Guide to UOR by my bud Seth Kubersky.

More info is always helpful. Thanks again.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
These are great tips. Regarding the VB buses only running every 30 minutes, do you think it would be feasible to walk there from RP? I have read that Cabana Bay and one other hotel (I think Adventura?) have pathways directly to VB, and Royal Pacifc is close to those, but it is hard to tell if the overall walk would be worth it.

One more question about Volcano Bay: Will my existing express passes (from my hotel reservation) apply to VB? I have seen conflicting things about this as well. I have seen that it has its own system with the taputapu wrist bands, so I don't know how much express pass would even matter for that park, but it looks like some version of express pass does exist there.

Walking path to VB: My instincts tell me yes. You'd probably have to walk across Pacific Way to the other side of that street, which will take you right past Aventura. The security checkpoints are literally right behind one of the Aventura pools.

Your express won't work there as far as I'm aware. I was always told it's no VB or separately ticketed events like HHN.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading how recently Genie+ at WDW has been selling out a lot, and people are saying it is best to sign up for it at midnight, and it just seems like a lot of stuff has changed with it since I was down there last.

Last time I was there you could buy it at 7am if you were staying onsite or at park opening if you were not. Is that no longer the case?

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Regarding pool hopping, that's definitely one of the things I'm hoping to work out with the concierge on our first day. There are a bunch of little things that I'm not totally sure how they work with universal. Like, apparently I need to pick up physical ticket lanyards instead of it just being linked to my hotel room? And a second physical lanyard for photo pass? I have seen conflicting answers about both of those. At Disney that stuff is just automatically linked though my Disney account and magic bands for my family.

Yeah, walking there be much quicker. Plus the path would take you near where the bus picks you up/etc, so you will easily be able to see if it's there or not (just make sure it's not the normal park bus). Take a look at this:

7cf03a6daf550708.png

Assuming you started at the Pool, you take that path. The blue circle is where you normally get picked up, but if you walked, you take the walking path along the river, go through the Sapphire Falls hotel via the lobby & exit, and then take the path to VB. Will prob just be a short 10 - 15 min walk.

Yeah, no Magic Bands for Universal, would be so much easer if there was haha. The Room Keys act as your hotel room & Express Passes. You can easily pick up your paper tickets at the hotel (there is a desk to do so named Tickets/etc).

VB has Express add-on options, but your hotel Express won't work for it. But luckily you won't need it. The Express VB never really needed. I've literally gone on July 4th, very very busy day, but I was able to ride several rides no issue.

The Taputapu is really nice. It actually kinda similar to Disney Magic Band. If a ride is "Ride Now", you will just go ride the ride, don't even need to tap against the sign. If it isn't, you will need to tap in, and it will hold your place in line. Can only ever hold 1, so while you are waiting on X, you can do other things that are Ride Now or any other non-wait attractions. Best part, is you could literally come back 2 hours later (as long as you don't exit the park), and you be good to go.

I've been reading how recently Genie+ at WDW has been selling out a lot, and people are saying it is best to sign up for it at midnight, and it just seems like a lot of stuff has changed with it since I was down there last.

Last time I was there you could buy it at 7am if you were staying onsite or at park opening if you were not. Is that no longer the case?
It's always been midnight that you could buy it. Just that your 1st selection is at 7am.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's always been midnight that you could buy it. Just that your 1st selection is at 7am.
Oh that is how it worked okay. Can I need to do it Midnight each day or do I have to buy it for the whole trip? I don't really know if I want to do it for all the days we are there as it is a ton of money and if it is selling out I imagine the availability has to be pretty terrible.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that is how it worked okay. Can I need to do it Midnight each day or do I have to buy it for the whole trip? I don't really know if I want to do it for all the days we are there as it is a ton of money and if it is selling out I imagine the availability has to be pretty terrible.

You have to buy G+ day of for WDW. At Disneyland you can include it with your tickets.

I don't know who has been saying that, but G+ hasn't been selling out daily. Reservations fill up for high demand attractions quickly though.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You have to buy G+ day of for WDW. At Disneyland you can include it with your tickets.

I don't know who has been saying that, but G+ hasn't been selling out daily. Reservations fill up for high demand attractions quickly though.
It has been a few days/parks over the past couple weeks according to wdwmagic. Which it has been presidents day so very busy, but also with our trip coming up I've been reading news more regularly.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You will see G+ sell out, but really only on VERY busy days. Most normal days it doesn't.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
You will see G+ sell out, but really only on VERY busy days. Most normal days it doesn't.

This. I've seen them close park reservations to AP, but even on those days, G+ wasn't selling out. There were a few oddities leading to G+ sell outs over the last month or two (mostly events on property), but don't expect it to happen regularly. If you're that concerned you should be able to get it by 7am. It's not selling out at window open, it's selling out once people get to the park, see it's busy and go "shit, I need G+, not realizing that they can't get the reservations they want because it's too late".

e: I now see why mute posted this. It sold out at MK two days in a row, and today it sold out before open. I can say any day when G+ sells out before park open is not a day I want to be in MK, but most people don't have that option. My suggestion would be if you're that concerned about the sell out, set an alarm that's in between getting a solid sleep cycle and being able to get back to sleep, buy it, then go back to sleep.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all. I completely forgot about the midnight time frame which is what I need to shoot for if we are doing it. I know it won't be as busy but with the marathon crowd I'm still expecting it to be higher than I'm used to.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all. I completely forgot about the midnight time frame which is what I need to shoot for if we are doing it. I know it won't be as busy but with the marathon crowd I'm still expecting it to be higher than I'm used to.

Oh god this weekend is the Princess Half!? Hell, I know we all keep saying "there's no more slow period because Disney just packs events", but they really do. If that's the case, then yeah, you'll probably need to be up early to get it since most of the marathoners will be getting up and ready at 3:00am. A good portion are locals but it's still not worth the risk. The only saving grace there is the mornings might not be AS bad since the events start at 5am.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, walking there be much quicker. Plus the path would take you near where the bus picks you up/etc, so you will easily be able to see if it's there or not (just make sure it's not the normal park bus). Take a look at this:

7cf03a6daf550708.png

Assuming you started at the Pool, you take that path. The blue circle is where you normally get picked up, but if you walked, you take the walking path along the river, go through the Sapphire Falls hotel via the lobby & exit, and then take the path to VB. Will prob just be a short 10 - 15 min walk.

Thank you so much for this! Making the map was really going above and beyond. It is really helpful to know that we would walk past the bus station, because as you said that will allow us to make the decision to walk or wait for the bus in the moment based on what the wait time looks like.

Yeah, no Magic Bands for Universal, would be so much easer if there was haha. The Room Keys act as your hotel room & Express Passes. You can easily pick up your paper tickets at the hotel (there is a desk to do so named Tickets/etc).

VB has Express add-on options, but your hotel Express won't work for it. But luckily you won't need it. The Express VB never really needed. I've literally gone on July 4th, very very busy day, but I was able to ride several rides no issue.

The Taputapu is really nice. It actually kinda similar to Disney Magic Band. If a ride is "Ride Now", you will just go ride the ride, don't even need to tap against the sign. If it isn't, you will need to tap in, and it will hold your place in line. Can only ever hold 1, so while you are waiting on X, you can do other things that are Ride Now or any other non-wait attractions. Best part, is you could literally come back 2 hours later (as long as you don't exit the park), and you be good to go.

Good to know regarding the tickets. It sounds like that will be easy to deal with on our arrival day.

Thanks for clearing my question about Express Pass at VB. As you said it probably won't matter, especially since we will probably spend most of our time doing no-wait attractions like the splasher playground, wave pool, and the least intense slides.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ran the 5K through Epcot yesterday. First time I've done anything like that, was super fun. Got to see the back of future world east, run under test track and around world showcase. Would love to do it again.

Crowd wise it isn't too crazy but we have been taking it very easy because we've been up since 3am and my other half at least has two more races to run.

Few things I will note are:
- sunshine tree terrace did not have citrus swirls :( they at least did not try and say that the orange/vanilla sherbet that they have is the same, which they used to do.
- Guardians virtual queues are going super quick...our last trip we wouldn't get into Epcot until 3 or so and they still had them left. So have been using ILLs every night. Still my favorite ride. Got Disco Inferno and row 9 first ride 👍
- hatbox ghost is cool and all but still seems like he is in an odd place.
- I actually really like the new central Epcot area, outside of it not having a big fountain. The spires they have that light up with SSE are cool and there are lots of places to sit.
- walked through Moana for first time, didn't really want to get wet so didn't interact much. I think if it is walk on like it was and it's hot it might be a good distraction but I wouldn't want to wait very long for it.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
The Guardians VQ spots started flying sometime late last year. There was definitely a period last year where I would go, and it was easy to get not only a VQ, but an ILL if you wanted one (at least for the afternoon, morning is always fast). The ILL's have been selling out frequently now as well. There was one day where I just checked because I wanted a ride and it was about 1:15 or so, but the afternoon VQ had closed and ILLs were already sold out.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
The fact Guardians still has a VQ is insane to me.

It's very weird. The standby can get backed up late in the day, but it's not slow. I think when I had like, a 6:45pm return time, I only waited like 20 minutes to the preshow room.

I'm very interested to see what happens in MK once Tiana opens. Are they going to have two VQs rides, or are they gong to take Tron off VQ? My instincts tell me they'll run them both until demand for Tiana levels off. It does feel like Disney has been building ride queues with the idea that they're just going to live off VQ forever though, because they don't have the physical capacity to hold enough guests.

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
It does feel like Disney has been building ride queues with the idea that they're just going to live off VQ forever though, because they don't have the physical capacity to hold enough guests.
I feel like that's what Universal announced for Epic a long time ago, that all rides would be VQ, but I can't remember. If they can do it better than Disney I'm all for it, because it's super annoying that I have annual passes (expiring in April) and I've only been able to ride Guardians one single time in several visits to Epcot.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that's what Universal announced for Epic a long time ago, that all rides would be VQ, but I can't remember. If they can do it better than Disney I'm all for it, because it's super annoying that I have annual passes (expiring in April) and I've only been able to ride Guardians one single time in several visits to Epcot.

It was speculated as a possibility because of the Tapu tapu system for Volcano Bay, but never past that AFAIK. Joe might know more than me. I know USH has used VQs in the past for SNW and they still do for Pets when it gets too long.

Obviously I haven't seen the park in person or walked around it. I know it's huge obviously, but if you have a system where all the portals are VQ entries, you're gonna have a ton of people just wandering around Celestial Park, or unwilling to leave their current portal knowing they'll probably not get into another one.

I don't really know what the right answer for how to handle this is. I don't think there is one. It's going to be a mess no matter how they try to handle it.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Super Nintendo World having a virtual queue seemed kinda needless when I was there last year about a month after opening. Not sure why it's still active.

Speaking of USH, does anyone know of any good blogs that keep track of updates to the park? Google is really failing me.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Super Nintendo World having a virtual queue seemed kinda needless when I was there last year about a month after opening. Not sure why it's still active.

Speaking of USH, does anyone know of any good blogs that keep track of updates to the park? Google is really failing me.

When I was there for HHN, it wasn't VQ. It was pretty busy but I still got to ride Mario Kart twice.

Inside Universal covers most things Universal, inlcuding Hollywood.

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
Took my wife and mother-in-law to Universal yesterday around 330p. Our passes give us Express access after 4p..

In a leisurely manner we did Bourne, MiB, Diagon Alley (and Gringotts), Transformers and VillainCon by 7p, then made our way over to Big Fire for an 8p reservation and they worked us in at 730p.

Couldn't help but make the comparison to Disney and how we would've had to be there at 8 or 9a to do the same amount and be able to have dinner by 6 or 7p.. and we had the "Incredipass".

Just a completely different experience. Way less stressful, and way more fun (for us).

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Took my wife and mother-in-law to Universal yesterday around 330p. Our passes give us Express access after 4p..

In a leisurely manner we did Bourne, MiB, Diagon Alley (and Gringotts), Transformers and VillainCon by 7p, then made our way over to Big Fire for an 8p reservation and they worked us in at 730p.

Couldn't help but make the comparison to Disney and how we would've had to be there at 8 or 9a to do the same amount and be able to have dinner by 6 or 7p.. and we had the "Incredipass".

Just a completely different experience. Way less stressful, and way more fun (for us).

I do not have an AP with Uni, but whenever I visit I always spend the extra money for the Express pass (just the one time per ride pass) and I love being able to just walk around, not have to worry about booking times, and just go into the EP line and wait almost no time at all to ride.

The problem with Disney is that they'll never admit G+ was a mistake and if they ever do change it, they'll just say that its a natural evolution of the service... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I'll be traveling to Cologne in May, anyone been to Phantasialand? Curious how it compares to other theme parks. I have a great first impression so far going by the videos and the fact that it isn't tied to an IP. Also admission for €27 when buying in advance is appealing when you recognize there's no corporate middlemen nickel and diming you.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I'll be traveling to Cologne in May, anyone been to Phantasialand? Curious how it compares to other theme parks. I have a great first impression so far going by the videos and the fact that it isn't tied to an IP. Also admission for €27 when buying in advance is appealing when you recognize there's no corporate middlemen nickel and diming you.

One of the best theme parks in the world. Absolutely gorgeous.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017

It looks amazing from the YouTube videos I have watched. I hope you enjoy it if you go.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After getting back from our Mardi Gras trip, my wife & I talked about and decided that we did a bunch of Mardi Gras already and be nice to switch it up next year. We got to thinking, and it be fun to still do a Mardi Gras trip, but do a mainly Disney one and stay at New Orleans: French Quarters hotel at Disney World next year for a split trip. Would do 5 nights at Disney and then end it with 2 nights at the new Stella Nova hotel at Universal and take it easy and lite at actual Mardi Gras. It get us a good way to check out a new hotel. We already booked both hotels for the trips, so most likely we are good to go.

Speaking of which, a week ago was really craving some ice cream and was asking me where we can get some/etc, and I joking suggested Chocolate Emporium at Universal. And surprisingly she was open to the idea, even though it was a joke. So it got me thinking, looking up flights and such, hotel stay, just to get an idea. An obviously we didn't do it, as would have cost nearly a $1000 total for a simple Friday->Sunday trip (mostly airplane). So that was of course a no go.

But, it did have me curious. We have plenty of Wyndham points & $2000 worth of Disney Gift Cards (via the 10% off Costco in Dec). That we could do a short Memorial Weekend trip, basically:

Friday: Drive down midway to a Wyndham hotel for free
Saturday: Wake up early and drive 3 hours-ish to Disney World and check into Pop Century - Spend half the day at Epcot
Sunday: Hollywood Studios day
Monday: Drive home fully (if traffic is bad, we could always find a hotel to stay at)

All for essentially $0 (well, no extra $ basically). Those are 2 Disney hotels we've been curious about. Pop Century would give us skyliner access & French Quarters easy Disney Springs access. Obviously choose Epcot / HS cause of skyliner. I'm sure it will be busy, but from everything I've seen probably not to crazy. After all, I did do Labor Day weekend once and it was mostly fine.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I'll be honest, I've stayed at both French Quarter and Riverside and find Riverside to be significantly better in all things. And you can take a very short boat ride to French Quarter to go to Skat Cats.

Best of both worlds.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've just historically had an easier time getting into Riverside compared to French Quarter. I prefer French Quarter because it is smaller, but I think Riverside has the better quick service food. There may also be benefits based on which dock the boat goes to first but I forget which order it was.

I don't see us wanting to stay anywhere besides Caribbean Beach or Beach Club from here on out though.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pop Century & French Quarters have been on our list for a little while now. We almost did trips to both over last few years before them turning into different hotels. We've stayed at nearly all Universal hotels so far and made it our goal to experience them all. Would love to do the same for Disney World. I obviously not going to try to do them all, since that is so many haha. But would be nice to get a good feel for the different ones.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Well sounds like that SpongeBob ride, that's essentially a Toy Story Mania clone, has recently open at the Circus Circus hotel at Las Vegas, but man I could have sworn it would be an attraction that's part of the AdventureDome. And it's apparently $20 per ride ($30 for two riders).

Joke comment: it's so in-character of Mr. Krabs to charge such jacked up prices.

Last edited:

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
After getting back from our Mardi Gras trip, my wife & I talked about and decided that we did a bunch of Mardi Gras already and be nice to switch it up next year. We got to thinking, and it be fun to still do a Mardi Gras trip, but do a mainly Disney one and stay at New Orleans: French Quarters hotel at Disney World next year for a split trip. Would do 5 nights at Disney and then end it with 2 nights at the new Stella Nova hotel at Universal and take it easy and lite at actual Mardi Gras. It get us a good way to check out a new hotel. We already booked both hotels for the trips, so most likely we are good to go.

Speaking of which, a week ago was really craving some ice cream and was asking me where we can get some/etc, and I joking suggested Chocolate Emporium at Universal. And surprisingly she was open to the idea, even though it was a joke. So it got me thinking, looking up flights and such, hotel stay, just to get an idea. An obviously we didn't do it, as would have cost nearly a $1000 total for a simple Friday->Sunday trip (mostly airplane). So that was of course a no go.

But, it did have me curious. We have plenty of Wyndham points & $2000 worth of Disney Gift Cards (via the 10% off Costco in Dec). That we could do a short Memorial Weekend trip, basically:

Friday: Drive down midway to a Wyndham hotel for free
Saturday: Wake up early and drive 3 hours-ish to Disney World and check into Pop Century - Spend half the day at Epcot
Sunday: Hollywood Studios day
Monday: Drive home fully (if traffic is bad, we could always find a hotel to stay at)

All for essentially $0 (well, no extra $ basically). Those are 2 Disney hotels we've been curious about. Pop Century would give us skyliner access & French Quarters easy Disney Springs access. Obviously choose Epcot / HS cause of skyliner. I'm sure it will be busy, but from everything I've seen probably not to crazy. After all, I did do Labor Day weekend once and it was mostly fine.

Labor Day is weirdly not busy because most schools fall into one of two categories: 1) School starts the day after and most people are getting the kids ready and not traveling. 2) School already started about a week or two earlier so they don't have a travel window. I'm usually down that week for HHN and it's never been that busy. Feels way busier in random weeks in May/June than then.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Odd question... Is there a group on FB where someone could ask someone else to pick up an item for them at Super Nintendo World in Uni Hollywood? I've seen something similar with Galaxy's Edge and was wondering if the same thing exists for Universal?

Thanks!!

Oct 25, 2017

I've been there multiple times. Beautiful theming, not super expensive, nice staff and good food (I recommend Uhrwerk and Rutmor's Taverne, but Zum Kohleschipper is great as well if you don't want to sit down). Hotels are great as well if you want to stay on site. As for the rides, Taron, F.L.Y. (definitely wait for the front row on both if you can), Chiapas and Talocan are all world class rides. River Quest is a tremendous water ride as well, but you can get absolutely soaked on it. Other rides I'd recommend are Black Mamba, both Winjas (Fear and Force), Mystery Castle and Colorado Adventure (it's a mine train that packs a real punch).
Rookburgh and Klugheim are incredible themed areas. It's easily one of the best parks in Europe and probably the world as well.

Honestly, it's a small park but it packs in so much.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
One of the best theme parks in the world. Absolutely gorgeous.

It looks amazing from the YouTube videos I have watched. I hope you enjoy it if you go.

I've been there multiple times. Beautiful theming, not super expensive, nice staff and good food (I recommend Uhrwerk and Rutmor's Taverne, but Zum Kohleschipper is great as well if you don't want to sit down). Hotels are great as well if you want to stay on site. As for the rides, Taron, F.L.Y. (definitely wait for the front row on both if you can), Chiapas and Talocan are all world class rides. River Quest is a tremendous water ride as well, but you can get absolutely soaked on it. Other rides I'd recommend are Black Mamba, both Winjas (Fear and Force), Mystery Castle and Colorado Adventure (it's a mine train that packs a real punch).
Rookburgh and Klugheim are incredible themed areas. It's easily one of the best parks in Europe and probably the world as well.

Honestly, it's a small park but it packs in so much.

Thanks all! I'm excited to go, sounds like I'm gonna have to take a Meclizine beforehand since I'm susceptible to motion sickness on intense roller coasters and drives full of twists and turns as a passenger

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Going to WDW for a few days next week. I know it's gonna be slammed so I don't have any expectations really, just gonna be nice to be there. My Dad is a big Star Wars fan so I'm excited to take him to see Galaxy's Edge. RotR is the one thing we *must* do. I don't really even like SW and think it's amazing

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished our first Disney world trip with our kids. Definitely a one and done for us. The parks are nice and rides are great but good lord Disney just doesn't care about actual experience but just chasing that dollar. Crowded beyond anything I've ever experienced and I've been to Universal during Christmas break multiple times. Genie+ is the biggest money grab ever. We'll probably just stick with Universal for family trips and try out their new park when it opens

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Back in USH again and got my Golden Power-Up Band for collection purposes. And while it unfortunately doesn't apply to the power-up bands, thankfully otherwise the annual pass discount now applies to Super Nintendo World merch.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
I want to return to USH something fierce right now. Next time I'm in LA for sure, which is hopefully in April!

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Yeah don't think I would advise doing this, but saw some guests in front of us literally sitting on Bowser's throne for a photo op and I'm all "bruh! You can't do that lol!" I'm at least pretty sure you can't.

Edit: and went to the new Power Up Cafe and got a super mushroom calzone and a super star drink. Calzone was pretty good and the drink was as well.

Last edited:

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
I'll tell you what, one thing I wish Universal would do is for the annual pass discount to apply when mobile ordering. I mean I literally have my annual pass in the app's wallet, it honestly makes no sense. That said I did use it for the first time to get a donut at Lard Lad's and it otherwise makes things very convenient. Much better when I used it at one point at Six Flags Magic Mountain; I remember needing to wait in a line for mobile ordering. And one thing I gotta commend is that I can push back my pickup time in the event I won't be able to make my original time, if I take longer on a queue or a show than I anticipated.

And tried Wasabi at Citywalk and it was pretty good Japanese food, I'd say on par with a Japanese restaurant me and my family often visit more closer to home.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I'll tell you what, one thing I wish Universal would do is for the annual pass discount to apply when mobile ordering. I mean I literally have my annual pass in the app's wallet, it honestly makes no sense. That said I did use it for the first time to get a donut at Lard Lad's and it otherwise makes things very convenient. Much better when I used it at one point at Six Flags Magic Mountain; I remember needing to wait in a line for mobile ordering. And one thing I gotta commend is that I can push back my pickup time in the event I won't be able to make my original time, if I take longer on a queue or a show than I anticipated.

And tried Wasabi at Citywalk and it was pretty good Japanese food, I'd say on par with a Japanese restaurant me and my family often visit more closer to home.

You can apply it during mobile order, it's just not automatic. I agree that they definitely need to sort it out, especially now that they're moving towards allowing you to scan your AP with your phone. It's annoying to have to scan the barcode during mobile order, but if there's no mechanism to apply it other than that, then you still need to physically have your pass on you at all times.