Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I'd blame the CMs they are supposed to see and flag people who may not fit ahead of time so you don't waste hours in line.

This is anecdotal of course, but I feel like at both UO and WDW, CMs are really quick to flag people who look overweight, but almost never flag people who are probably too tall. I see height issues far more than weight. I'm still floored that Hagrid's doesn't have a test car out in the front of the queue, but Velocicoaster does. VC has to be one of the most forgiving coasters I've seen for all shapes and sizes, but Hagrid's is shockingly restrictive.

I also learned I didn't fit on 7 dwarfs mine train after a 90 minute wait.

I'm not even remotely as tall as you, but I'm about 6' and more legs than torso and I can tell you that 7DMT is a....tight squeeze for me. I don't typically do it unless it's walk on at parties. The cars for that coaster are way smaller than I imagined. It's actually the only ride at WDW that I find uncomfortable to ride and that includes Barnstormer.

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
Hagrid's had a test vehicle when it first opened, that's how I learned I didn't fit. Haven't been there in a few years but surprised it's not still there if that's true.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Hagrid's had a test vehicle when it first opened, that's how I learned I didn't fit. Haven't been there in a few years but surprised it's not still there if that's true.

I know there's a test seat in the final queue room, but it'd be nice if there was one near the front like nearly every other ride in that park that requires it.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know there's a test seat in the final queue room, but it'd be nice if there was one near the front like nearly every other ride in that park that requires it.
There should be, I've used it before. But I admit it's been a long time since I've used it, so I'm not paying attention if it's still there when I ride it these days.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
It used to be right outside the queue.

Yeah it's like, to the left of the lockers in a little area. I think it's just very well hidden now, by design, so that's why I'm memory holing it. Sorry about derailing things by having the memory of a goldfish.

In park news, it looks like UO has built actual buildings for the Mardi Gras food stalls this year, which is a welcome change.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Well apparently USH will be hosting an in-park scavenger hunt event for annual pass members for a button starting 2/1. Checklist can be obtained either online or the Studio Store. Sure hope it doesn't require me to ride certain attractions because I honestly have a feeling I cannot tolerate the Mummy (and possible the Forbidden Journey attraction) these days and me unwilling to go through JW's drop.

Also a collectible pass member magnet themed to Jaws will be available starting 2/1 to accommodate the Studio Tour's 60th anniversary. Cute magnet and I was contemplating going to Universal next weekend.

universal-studios-hollywood-reveals-full-line-up-o-1.jpg

And that's among special benefits.

www.universalstudioshollywood.com

Universal Studios Hollywood - Los Angeles, California - Official Site

Welcome to Universal Studios Hollywood! Learn more about our incredible theme park attractions in California such as The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™ and much more!

Speaking to the Tour, apparently Universal will be doing something special for the Studio Tour, but can't seem to find a source by Universal, only from theme park fansites.

www.insideuniversal.net

Universal Studios Hollywood’s Studio Tour to celebrate 60th Anniversary with 'exciting entertainment' for 2024

In 2024, the World-Famous Studio Tour will celebrate a milestone of 60 years at Universal Studios Hollywood. The Studio Tour is an integral part of Universal Studios Hollywood, as the addition of the tour led to the development of Universal Studios Hollywood as a theme park. To celebrate the mom

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Well out of left field, Universal Studios Hollywood has soft opened a new Power Up Cafe (a grab and go restaurant) in the upper lot.

la.eater.com

A First Look Inside the Surprise Follow-Up to Toadstool Cafe at Universal Studios Hollywood

Tiny-but-mighty Power Up Cafe captures the magic of the flagship restaurant but in a grab-and-go fashion

Apparently the official opening date is 2/15.

View: https://youtu.be/OPpLjP_UJg4?si=wqEqAuGLhWwJmnKx

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
PIT
What's the best time to line up for early entry at Universal Orlando?

On weekdays I recommend being at the gate half an hour before Early Entry starts. Busy days (weekends) at least 45 mins. Remember to factor in the walking time from the bus/car through security and CityWalk. Save Hagrid till lunchtime when the waits dip to half of the posted time and ride Veloci and FJ instead.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
On weekdays I recommend being at the gate half an hour before Early Entry starts. Busy days (weekends) at least 45 mins. Remember to factor in the walking time from the bus/car through security and CityWalk. Save Hagrid till lunchtime when the waits dip to half of the posted time and ride Veloci and FJ instead.
Bless, thank you. I'll be spending a lot of time in IOA today for sure.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Walked right on Velocicoaster and the train wasn't even full. Crazy, intense ride that I'm excited to do again. I'm leaving my glasses in the locker next time though, I was really scared of losing them with the rapid acceleration.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Pardon the ignorance, but did they ever confirm the Boom Coaster would be coming for the Donkey Kong land expansion? Or was that the Hollywood park that would get it

Besides that looks wonderful and its still cool to see Mack become a true top 3 manufacturer next to B&M and RMC

DK coaster should be opening soon at Universal Japan and will be at Epic Universe. There don't seem to be any current plans for it at Hollywood.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Ah so it was intended for Orlando the whole time, for some reason I thought it was the Hollywood park given it had the world first, thanks for the clarification

Never say never, but IIRC they'd have to clear out some soundstages to get it to fit. Super Nintendo World is already cramped there as it is, but maybe they can figure something out.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Never say never, but IIRC they'd have to clear out some soundstages to get it to fit. Super Nintendo World is already cramped there as it is, but maybe they can figure something out.

I remember hearing rumors that the long term plan was to clear out some soundstages to expand SNW, but I can't remember where or when.

I'm hyped for Monsters and HTTYD. Isle of Berk, even now, looks absolutely incredible thematically. I love the aesthetic of Celestial Park. It has that sort of Art Deco future past feel to it. Whoever architected the aesthetic for it has a clear affinity for Bioshock.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
I remember hearing rumors that the long term plan was to clear out some soundstages to expand SNW, but I can't remember where or when.

I'm hyped for Monsters and HTTYD. Isle of Berk, even now, looks absolutely incredible thematically. I love the aesthetic of Celestial Park. It has that sort of Art Deco future past feel to it. Whoever architected the aesthetic for it has a clear affinity for Bioshock.

Last I heard they want to preserve soundstage 12 and turn it into a museum like attraction for USH which sounds awesome. It was pitched to me as Mario karts AR + the Villancon omniwalker. The same style of experience was considered for the Wizarding world at Epic Universe. I'm happy to hear they care about the history of studio 12 enough to consider such a project.

I keep hearing about major changes to the backlot and area surrounding the backlot queue. Sounds like they are retooling the routes to accommodate for changes and that it's not permanent but temporary. Whatever that means it sounds like that area is about to be disrupted for some period of time. I wonder if it has anything to do with Simpsons and it's sunsetting.

Regardless USH will see some rather large transformative projects over the next decade. But I don't know if it's all positive. I do like the idea of them using the upper lot more and finding a way of making a mid lot with some new experiences for guests. At least till they are ready for major disruption of the lower lot.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Well here is the scavenger hunt event at USH. I'll admit this feels a little too upper lot centric.

And to accommodate the first anniversary of Super Nintendo World on 2/17, the park will be giving out a button while supplies last.

ush-super-nintendo-world-hollywood-limitd-1-year-pin-cf-a.jpg

Also being sold in limited supplies and starting on the same date, the previously Japan exclusive Golden Power Up Band will be sold I presume in the land's 1Up Factory.

udx-super-nintendo-world-1-year-anniversary-gold-band2-cf-a.jpg

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
The tip to go on Hagrid's during lunch is very much appreciated. Got on in about 30 minutes or so, maybe less during that time. Really snappy.

I will say though that Hogsmeade (the village itself) in Orlando isn't as nice as the Hollywood one. Obviously theirs came later so they were able to improve on it, but there being more shops, etc you can go into really helps sell it. That and the USH version of Forbidden Journey feels a bit more smoother/updated across the board.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Officially booked for Sapphire Falls for four nights during the Ava Max concert weekend. This will be my first time attending Mardis Gras or any non-HHN event for that matter. Super excited to check out all the food, the parade, and to ride Velocicoaster as much as possible.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I just came back yesterday from Sapphire Falls for our Mardi Gras trip.

I really enjoyed the hotel & Mardi Gras this year. The Parade and the in-park food booths were really good. The hotel was cool, I've walked through there before, but this is the 1st time staying there. Got to check out the pool a little bit, but got very chilly as trip went on, so this was the 1st trip in a long while that we didn't go to Volcano Bay. So we ended up enjoying the parks a good bit more.

I talked to my wife's sister about taking their family to Disney World, and we might just have a trip planned now. Going to wait till 2026 so that their kids (be 6 & 4&half by then) are a little older. We offered to cover the hotel cost & likely more importantly give our expertise haha. I plan to manage the plans/schedule for them, which will prob be more useful in the moment then the hotel. We will be going in the Summer, so I'm hoping to convince them of June, which will be hot, but at least not August hot.

Honestly thinking of renting points for a 2 bedroom villa at Bay Lake Tower. Will give us enough space to relax, for a easy place for the kids to take a nap & can make full use of the kitchen. Another benefit of course is short walk to MK & easy transportation to Epcot. Both will likely be gone to a lot that trip I'd imagine. That plus AK. I looked up general costs and should cost me about $6000 for a 6 night trip. No idea how long we stay, but gives me a good idea of how much to save up for. Luckily got 2 & half years to save.

Granted, this assumes we will make use of the kitchen. If we don't think we will use it in a meaningful way (like using the oven / stove top), then would prob pick a moderate hotel. But I have a feeling we use it.

So I guess here is my next big trips:

HHN trip in Sept 2024 - Possibly going to Universal with my sister's family. (they wouldn't do HHN, we just hang with them during the day)
Mardi Gras Feb 2025 staying at Stella Nova
Epic Universe trip at Helios Fall of 2025 (unsure how we handle HHN here haha, as I feel like we need a full week for Epic by itself)
Disney World Summer 2026 with my wife's sister family.

Last edited:

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I also just got back last night and a few things.

I stayed at the Hilton Vacation Club Mystic Dunes in Kissimmee. I effectively had an apartment for a week. Full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc. Shuttles were virtually non-existent. The UO one shows up at 7:25 which is nice, but park pickup is at 8:30 regardless of when the park closes. The restaurant was very nice and had good food for the price. Parking is complimentary, which is a huge plus if you're driving. Staff is nice, and you can get cleaning on request, but it is a timeshare resort so they won't take trash or anything like that. Pretty nice fitness center and a lot of amenities. It's pretty close to WDW and has a walmart 1/2 mile down the road. Overall, really great if you're going to WDW and have a car. It took me 35 minutes to get to UO on a Saturday because I-4 is hell.

As for WDW, Photopass is worth it. I don't know what it costs without an AP (It was $99 addon), but the magic moment photos and the quality of the photos make it worth it. The photographers always make sure to make them look as good as possible. I showed my wife and she was blown away by how good most of them looked.

I know this discussion happened in the Theme Park Stop Discord with a few of you, but Epcot After Hours value is subjective. I used to basically chain ride Cosmic Rewind in an effort to finally get 'I Ran' and mission accomplished. CW was walk on the entire time. You do have to go through the preshow though, but there was never a wait longer than the preshows. Everything else was walk on the entire time. I'm definitely 'over' MK having spent a lot of time there over the last 12 months and at this point, prefer DAK/Epcot, not just because of crowds but overall vibes. I stayed for Luminous and it's a fine show, but nothing special. I think it's on the same level of Harmonious, but that may be a hot take. I prefer Fantasmic over any night time show at WDW.

With UO, Mardi Gras was awesome. Food was pretty good and the parade ruled. I feel like if you're going to get a souvenir cup and have more than two drinks, those food and beverage cards are definitely worth it. I'm trying to get back down for a few days, but I can either get an affordable hotel for a few days, or an affordable flight, but never both. Going to keep looking though, just a Thursday-Sunday trip so I can get a nice full Saturday at UO for once.

Oh, I got an evacuation off Simpsons, which I didn't know was possible. It went up like normal, then you could tell it wasn't moving and it felt like the hydraulic lift was stuck, which was the case. Someone from the support staff had to un-stick it to get us down. Good times.

I'll be down in a few days in August for a live show that is unrelated to theme parks, but I'll still do a normal shift for the tribute store and (hopefully) the EU preview center. Then I'll be down in September for HHN Labor Day week as is tradition. We're also doing a christmas season trip with myself, my wife, and my mom since we didn't get to last year. This is one of the primary reasons I got the photopass and it's honestly the trip I'm most looking forward to.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've mentioned it before about wanting to take my sister & her kids to Universal Orlando here before. Well, think I may have been given the thumbs up from her. Her kid's Fall break is mid Sept, so that be perfect weather, lower crowds & HHN for us! Nothing will be 100% till we actually go, but the nice thing is unlike Disney, we don't have to really worry about everything till closer. I already booked a potential Royal Pacific hotel for them that we would have ours connected to. We are saying he whole week and driving, so that makes the situation even better. Cause now we can pick them up from the airport & drop them off too.

So far our ideal scenario will have them stay for 4 nights, us all do all 3 parks + I think we convinced them to do Mickey's Not So Scarry Halloween. By mid Sept they should have it on Fridays, Sundays and Tuesdays. Her son, apparently really likes Halloween, so was an added benefit in selling to her. They will be in 5th (nephew) & 7th (niece) grades by time trip occurs. Def way too early for trying HHN haha. Best part is they last went to Disney (kids never to Universal) about 6 years ago. So for that 3 hours before the event starts, going to try to focus on rides that they haven't tried since they last went. Obviously Tron & Tiana's, but like Mine Train that they avoided due to long wait.

Anyways, here is probably my arranged schedule for the trip if all goes to plan:

Saturday - They fly out in the morning & we are driving down (we leave a Valdosta GA hotel that we normally stay at the night before to make the drive easier) and we pick them up and we all check into the hotel. We all unpack and then head to the parks in early afternoon to enjoy it all. Ideally they arrive by noon at the earliest.
Sunday - MNSSHP, so no Universal today. Maybe we hang by the pool? We will leave the hotel by 3pm at latest. Only takes like 30 min to get over and park at MK and another 20ish to get across to the gates. So plenty of time, we don't really need to be first in line, but would like to have as much time as we can. Ideally more aim for 2:30pm. Prob get home by 2am if we stay the entire night haha..
Monday - We all sleep in a bit! But by lunch fully take advantage of the parks.
Tuesday - VB morning / parks at night
Wednesday - We drop them off at the airport and they go home.

So in the end: 4 nights, 3 UO park days (inc VB), a MNSSHP all at Royal Pacific with fun Express pass included. Us picking/dropping them off for free. Plus all he food, etc that they can get on a discount cause of our AP. So really makes the trip more manageable for a single mom of 2. Esp with us as guides. Heck, we could easily bring home anything they don't want to fly with.

We ourselves would be staying till Saturday. Ideally we would be doing HHN a few nights, likely Saturday the night they arrive (we wouldn't stay too late) and of course Wed / Thur after they leave. One potential pitfall is when they arrive. If they arrive before 11am, then we might have an issue haha. There is no way we can fit 5 people (2 kids) inside our car with all that luggage. So we need to drop off our stuff and then head to the airport. Of course they could just come at 2pm, but I'd really like for them to have plenty of time in the parks that day, esp if we are doing MNSSHP the day after. Orlando is only "about" 3 hours away from Valdosta GA, so we might just need to get up real early.

I'm excited for this. Plus, in Summer of 2026 we convinced my wife's sister & her family to take them all to Disney World for the 1st time. Their kids will be 6 & 4&half by then. Helps in selling a trip to not only be their guide by to offer to pay for their rooms haha.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I've never done the Halloween party but loved the Christmas party. Fair to say I'd love the Halloween party too? My wife wants to go to one. I imagine it has the bonus of lower crowds as well just like the Christmas party.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've never done the Halloween party but loved the Christmas party. Fair to say I'd love the Halloween party too? My wife wants to go to one. I imagine it has the bonus of lower crowds as well just like the Christmas party.
I think so! I've done both, and I kinda prefer the Halloween vibe more.

I love the parade, the treats and the overlay for Space Mountain. It's like the opposite of the Christmas party one where you can see everything, but here it's pitch black. No lighs at all (except for the red light of the cameras haha). But they are blasting this awesome pumping up music that really gets your adrenaline going. I love it.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Three words: strong water tavern
We went to Strong Water twice when we went back in 2021 after you recommended it and it definitely delivered. I expect we will run that and the Amatista breakfast buffet back as well this trip. Is the Palm any good at HRH? We stayed there in 2019 and I don't even remember seeing it(we did the Kitchen twice though). Other than that planning for plenty of Mardis Gras food and probably Cowfish(or maybe try something new at City Walk).

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
Just picked up our annual passes for Universal Orlando with the added 3 months promo. Haven't been here since maybe 2016 or so, so I'm excited to see some of the new stuff.

Starting with Bourne Stuntacular!

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
We went to Strong Water twice when we went back in 2021 after you recommended it and it definitely delivered. I expect we will run that and the Amatista breakfast buffet back as well this trip. Is the Palm any good at HRH? We stayed there in 2019 and I don't even remember seeing it(we did the Kitchen twice though). Other than that planning for plenty of Mardis Gras food and probably Cowfish(or maybe try something new at City Walk).

YES! Glad to hear that. Palm is good, it's a high-end steak restaurant. What haven't you done at CityWalk?

Just picked up our annual passes for Universal Orlando with the added 3 months promo. Haven't been here since maybe 2016 or so, so I'm excited to see some of the new stuff.

Starting with Bourne Stuntacular!

Bourne is so good. Plus you still have Hagrid, Veloci, VillainCon, Kong (maybe), F&F (lol), and Fallon (the pre show video is worth it alone).

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
Bourne is so good. Plus you still have Hagrid, Veloci, VillainCon, Kong (maybe), F&F (lol), and Fallon (the pre show video is worth it alone).
F&F was here when we had passes before, never plan to ride it again. It's so bad.

Bourne broke down halfway through the show and the stage manager quickly came out and filled time by talking about the behind-the-scenes of how it works and why it may occasionally stop. It was only down for 5 minutes or so, so not bad. Really cool presentation though.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Bourne was pretty cool, there were a lot of elements to it that I didn't expect!

I'm considering buying an annual pass for USH since I'm in LA so often... the blackout dates don't seem too bad on the cheaper options.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Looking at a list we've never been to Toothsome's, Big Fire, Vivo, or Bob Marley.

Big Fire is a fav if you like steaks and bourbon. I'm a huge fan of the mussels there. Vivo is a solid italian place. Toothsome is good but a PITA to get into. I haven't been to Tribute to Freedom in awhile so I should go back.

Just did an article on Vivo too!

touringplans.com

Getting to Know Universal – Vivo Italian Kitchen | TouringPlans.com Blog

Pop open a bottle of chianti and take the cannoli, today we are looking at Vivo Italian Kitchen at Universal Orlando's C

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
I'm taking my family down to Universal Orlando at the end of March for son's spring break. It will be our first vacation to a Universal property (we did Disney World last year) and my first time at a Universal park period. It is interesting to browse this thread as it seems like most of the recent activity has focused on Universal more-so than Disney.

We're booked for 5 nights at Royal Pacific with the plan being 4 park days. Roughly speaking that should be one day each for US, IoA, and VB with a 4th day for stuff like the interactive wand stations and looping back to anything we feel like revisiting. We have multi-park tickets for every day of the trip so we have a lot of flexibility within that. My son is only 5, so I'm expecting to rope drop every day and then head back to the hotel to refresh in the afternoons. I'm hoping to take advantage of pool-hopping during the afternoons as my son loves to swim and it looks like the resorts surrounding ours have a lot of variety with things like waterslides and even a lazy river. I'm definitely praying it will be warm enough for swimming by next month!

I would love to hear any tips or advice for a first time visitor to Universal Orlando, especially from anyone who has experience traveling there with kids around my son's age.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I'm taking my family down to Universal Orlando at the end of March for son's spring break. It will be our first vacation to a Universal property (we did Disney World last year) and my first time at a Universal park period. It is interesting to browse this thread as it seems like most of the recent activity has focused on Universal more-so than Disney.

We're booked for 5 nights at Royal Pacific with the plan being 4 park days. Roughly speaking that should be one day each for US, IoA, and VB with a 4th day for stuff like the interactive wand stations and looping back to anything we feel like revisiting. We have multi-park tickets for every day of the trip so we have a lot of flexibility within that. My son is only 5, so I'm expecting to rope drop every day and then head back to the hotel to refresh in the afternoons. I'm hoping to take advantage of pool-hopping during the afternoons as my son loves to swim and it looks like the resorts surrounding ours have a lot of variety with things like waterslides and even a lazy river. I'm definitely praying it will be warm enough for swimming by next month!

I would love to hear any tips or advice for a first time visitor to Universal Orlando, especially from anyone who has experience traveling there with kids around my son's age.

Royal Pacific has two huge advantages. The first is obviously the express passes that come with your room. It will work on everything but Hagrid's magical motorbike adventure, which has no express. The second is the boats. You have water taxis there that have security check points AT the boats, meaning you don't have to wait in the security hell of the Citywalk entrance.

All 'on property' hotels have early park entry for IOA which will get you in at 8am, so that's also a plus. 4 days is more than enough with the express to see and do everything you want. As for pool hopping, you can obviously go to any pool you want from the Aventura tier and above. Keep in mind that during spring break, those hotels are going to be packed though. Cabana Bay does not provide tubes for the lazy river if I recall, but they opt to sell them to you and you get to keep them.

Volcano Bay rules as it has two rivers, one lazy, one 'not so lazy' that you have to wear a vest to enter. How tall is your son? I know you said he's 5, but are there any rides you're concerned he may want to get on that he won't be able to? You may want to look at the height requirement page. I'll put it below this.

www.universalorlando.com

Universal Orlando

Universal Orlando Resort

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With Express Passes & Park hoppers, you will be able to hop between the parks quite frequently. Unlike Disney World, Universal Studios Florida & Islands of Adventures are literally next door to each other. You are going to have a blast! Be sure to stay around for the Mardi Gras parade, your son will love it I bet.

When you get closer to the trip, I HIGHLY recommend getting some dining reservations for some of the City Walk (the shopping/dining area just in front of the parks). While not as crazy as the Disney ecosystem on getting reservations (can literally get them a few days in advance), it will be busy since it's spring break.
Here are some we highly recommend: Cowfish, Vivo, Antijitos, Bigfire Grill & Chocolate Emporium (your son will love it)

Btw, tip on Chocolate Emporium (for you & lush ) - The food is ok, but huge portions. We split a salad with this almond chocolate bread last time and was really good. So keep in mind. But the thing best there is the atmosphere and of course the shakes / sundaes. You can even get those without actually sitting down to eat.

Volcano Bay is a blast and so much fun. I recommend trying to start heading over at least 30 minutes before Early Hours even begins. Given that the bus from Royal Pacific only comes like every 30 min to VB, I'd kinda recommend maybe head out of your hotel room an hour before. All of the VB is so much fun, esp for the lazy rivers and aqua coaster slide. Make sure you bring a towel from the hotel!!

Btw: For Pool hoping, I think you need to ask the lobby check-in person for a pass for that or to activate it? Idk how it works. I tried it once and our key didn't work (from Aventura -> Cabana Bay). But luckily it's easy to get in via heavy bag swung over o hit the gates lol.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Btw: For Pool hoping, I think you need to ask the lobby check-in person for a pass for that or to activate it? Idk how it works. I tried it once and our key didn't work (from Aventura -> Cabana Bay). But luckily it's easy to get in via heavy bag swung over o hit the gates lol.

Oh good catch I forgot about this! You bring your key card with you to the hotel you're going to hop to and that's where you get it activated.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you both, this is very helpful advice!

Royal Pacific has two huge advantages. The first is obviously the express passes that come with your room. It will work on everything but Hagrid's magical motorbike adventure, which has no express. The second is the boats. You have water taxis there that have security check points AT the boats, meaning you don't have to wait in the security hell of the Citywalk entrance.

This raises an important question: can I also get the expedited security if I walk from Royal Pacific to the parks? Or only if I go by boat? When we stayed at the Contemporary Resort last year we were able to use the security checkpoint along the walking path to Magical Kingdom, but I don't know how that works at Universal.

All 'on property' hotels have early park entry for IOA which will get you in at 8am, so that's also a plus. 4 days is more than enough with the express to see and do everything you want. As for pool hopping, you can obviously go to any pool you want from the Aventura tier and above. Keep in mind that during spring break, those hotels are going to be packed though. Cabana Bay does not provide tubes for the lazy river if I recall, but they opt to sell them to you and you get to keep them.
I'm fully expecting big crowds due to the spring break timing. We are definitely planning to take advantage of early park entry and express pass to make the most of our time in the parks during the mornings, and then escape the worst of the crowds by spending our afternoons at the hotel/pool. I think I took for granted that most people would be in the parks during the day, so hopefully the pools won't be too bad during the afternoons.

Volcano Bay rules as it has two rivers, one lazy, one 'not so lazy' that you have to wear a vest to enter. How tall is your son? I know you said he's 5, but are there any rides you're concerned he may want to get on that he won't be able to? You may want to look at the height requirement page. I'll put it below this.

www.universalorlando.com

Universal Orlando

Universal Orlando Resort

We are very excited about Volcano Bay, probably as much as we're looking forward to either of the other parks. I think I'm going to try the premium seating option, but I don't know exactly how that's going to work since we were hoping to have flexibility within our trip calendar based on the weather we encounter. I don't really want to commit to a specific day for Volcano Bay and then have it be 60 degrees for example.

My son is a little over 44", which will be fine. We are used to this from other park outings. The only ride where it will really impact us is Velocicoaster, since that is a must-ride for my wife and I. We are definitely going to try to trade off so we can both ride it separately. Hopefully the wait won't be too bad with our express passes. Also, it looks like there is a Jurassic Park play area in that section of IoA, so that should be good for occupying him while we take turns on the coaster.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Thank you both, this is very helpful advice!

This raises an important question: can I also get the expedited security if I walk from Royal Pacific to the parks? Or only if I go by boat? When we stayed at the Contemporary Resort last year we were able to use the security checkpoint along the walking path to Magical Kingdom, but I don't know how that works at Universal.

I'm fully expecting big crowds due to the spring break timing. We are definitely planning to take advantage of early park entry and express pass to make the most of our time in the parks during the mornings, and then escape the worst of the crowds by spending our afternoons at the hotel/pool. I think I took for granted that most people would be in the parks during the day, so hopefully the pools won't be too bad during the afternoons.

We are very excited about Volcano Bay, probably as much as we're looking forward to either of the other parks. I think I'm going to try the premium seating option, but I don't know exactly how that's going to work since we were hoping to have flexibility within our trip calendar based on the weather we encounter. I don't really want to commit to a specific day for Volcano Bay and then have it be 60 degrees for example.

My son is a little over 44", which will be fine. We are used to this from other park outings. The only ride where it will really impact us is Velocicoaster, since that is a must-ride for my wife and I. We are definitely going to try to trade off so we can both ride it separately. Hopefully the wait won't be too bad with our express passes. Also, it looks like there is a Jurassic Park play area in that section of IoA, so that should be good for occupying him while we take turns on the coaster.

If you want more advice and theme park stuff all three of us are on the Theme Park Stop Discord! All that advice given I stand behind, too.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, there is security along the walking path AND before you board the boat. Due to where the boat docks at the resort and CityWalk are located it might be quicker to walk to IOA than take the boat depending on which tower you are in.

2) Pools will be crowded but manageable. I like UOR's pool set ups over Disney's - you'll find mobile ordering from chairs, better pool bars, better food, DJs, etc. I think you'll want to stay at RPR's pool the most as it's just closer, but go to Sapphire Falls if your kids (or hell you) want a water slide.

3) Look into booking the premium seats a week out or so based on the weather if you can. Send one person to pick up the premium seating area and then the other person can take the kids to Krakatau before it gets slammed. VB is a weird park, so read up on it before you visit.

touringplans.com

Getting to Know Universal: Volcano Bay Basics | TouringPlans.com Blog

Whether you are a long-time Walt Disney World guest looking to switch your vacation up or you are visiting Orlando for t

4) GOOD NEWS - Universal has the best rider swap in the business! Your whole family can go through the queue and before the load room is a room with entertainment for the rest of the party to wait! Do note that VelociCoaster is running at a reduced capacity right now and the lines have gotten INSANE. Check the waits before your trip and maybe plan on doing it first thing in the morning.

As for UOR attractions that are underrated, make sure to see these:
  • Horror Make up Show (USF) - A comedy show that shows how movie special effects and monsters are created. The whole show is sold by two amazing hosts, and if you're lucky you'll get the best.
  • Blues Brothers show (USF) - Located in NYC it's a quick street show with live music that
  • Olivanders Wand Experience (both parks) - cute show where you a child gets selected to test out wands like from the movie
  • Raptor Encounter (IOA) - a neat meet and greet with huge puppets
As for Mardi Gras here are my articles on this year's event.

touringplans.com

Universal Orlando Mardi Gras 2024 Guide | TouringPlans.com Blog

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Universal Orlando's Mardi Gras celebrates all things carnival with food, concerts, a bead

touringplans.com

Universal Orlando Mardi Gras 2024 Best Bites & Menus | TouringPlans.com Blog

This past weekend the TouringPlans Foodie Squad visited Universal Studios Florida to sip and snack their around Universa

And of course, I'd be remiss not to sell you on the Unofficial Guide to UOR by my bud Seth Kubersky.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Seems I lucked out in my visit since Velocicoaster started having these issues right after I left. Being able to walk right on in the morning and around lunch was amazing.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Seems I lucked out in my visit since Velocicoaster started having these issues right after I left. Being able to walk right on in the morning and around lunch was amazing.

Is it running better and more consistently now? The two days I was there, it was up but running minimal trains and was very backed up. I still got a few ride sin, but not nearly as many as I wanted.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Is it running better and more consistently now? The two days I was there, it was up but running minimal trains and was very backed up. I still got a few ride sin, but not nearly as many as I wanted.
It was when I was there at the end of January. I did notice that they would run the trains partially full though, but maybe that's not unusual. Wait time was still snappy regardless.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
It was when I was there at the end of January. I did notice that they would run the trains partially full though, but maybe that's not unusual. Wait time was still snappy regardless.

Ah okay, so that's before the downtime in February when I was there. It went fully down for 3 or 4 days. By the time I left Saturday, they were rotating between 2 and 3 trains on it, one of which still had 3 rows locked out on it (that car has been that way since at least the fall). I don't know if I'll be able to cut over to Uni in May. If the tribute store is open, I'll go, but I doubt it since the turnaround between the end of Mardi Gras and my arrival is only four and a half weeks. I'll definitely be there in August for a day or two though.