shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's some nice praise for '97 coming in. Doesnt feel like that usual "early social media" praise either, its sounding legit great. Apparently the action is fast paced and well done...
Hype continues to rise, this could be something special indeed.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Great article about everything X-Men:

View: https://x.com/variety/status/1768383386580586516?s=46&t=Z9DqSWZr7M0RkGt-vUPHLQ

Castorena's "X-Men '97" philosophy was to "use mutant abilities in ways we've never seen before." He came up with the idea of Gambit charging up Wolverine's adamantium claws with purple kinetic energy, seen during a battle with massive robot Sentinels in the show's first trailer. During that same fight, shapeshifter Morph transforms into the bulbous bad guy Blob to bounce Wolverine onto a Sentinel from his trampoline-like belly.
Blob's cameo in the premiere is far from the only guest character. The original show featured appearances from Marvel heroes like Captain America, Thor, Black Panther, Doctor Strange and more. "X-Men '97" is no different. The trailer already alluded to Spider-Man (who had his own '90s cartoon) with a Daily Bugle newspaper. Even though "X-Men '97" doesn't take place in the main timeline of the MCU, there are plenty of possibilities, perhaps even from the "Iron Man" and "Silver Surfer" '90s cartoons, for crossovers.
"It's exactly the same level of cameos as the original series," Winderbaum says. "Even though 'X-Men '97″ is not in the sacred timeline, there is a universe of '90s cartoons that we know. Because of 'Loki' and every other multiverse story, we know that if your brain wants to go there, you know there's always potential for connections."

Much more in the article itself.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be honest, I tried the 90s Xman cartoon when it went up on Disney plus and the internet was hyping it, and I didn't get it. Didn't seem to hold up really, it was very much a cartoon of it's time rather than something that transcends it's era.

So is the new one supposed to be legit good? Like worth watching for modern audiences? Or is it only good if you're nostalgic for the original.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be honest, I tried the 90s Xman cartoon when it went up on Disney plus and the internet was hyping it, and I didn't get it. Didn't seem to hold up really, it was very much a cartoon of it's time rather than something that transcends it's era.

So is the new one supposed to be legit good? Like worth watching for modern audiences? Or is it only good if you're nostalgic for the original.

You kinda had to be there for X-Men TAS and Spidey TAS. For its time it was great, but its no Batman TAS. I can still enjoy X-Men TAS but it's a bit rough to go back to 30 years later. Doesn't help that it's in crappy DVD quality on Disney+. I wish they'd do a proper remaster.

We'll see in 3 days with the new one. My expectations are low.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You know, watching that recap I gotta ask - what exactly was that device that "killed" Xavier anyway... seems like a magicaly and deadly remote control lol.

New season is looking great though, very excited.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing new here. Just further confirmation that the Disney+ timeline is canon and that the Netflix shows are canon to the MCU.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘X-Men ’97’ EP Brad Winderbaum on Kevin Feige’s Mandate and How ‘Daredevil: Born Again’ Updated MCU Canon

The beloved animated series has a theme song that still resonates 30 years later, prompting Feige to say, "If we can get the cast and we can get the song, let's do it."
Flash forward now to Disney+, where we are actually laying out the timeline with tiles on a screen, all of a sudden we're like, "We should just do it. Let's do it." It was also spurred by the redevelopment of Daredevil: Born Again, once we started to really lean into some of the mythology and backstory that was established in those Netflix shows. I was asked about this during the press for Echo, and I realized, "Oh, it's not just assumed. People have an active interest and they want confirmation." So we were able to do it fairly quickly, and it's interesting that the service of Disney+ actually became the statement just by rearranging those tiles. That's our medium to define the canon now, which is wild to think about.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot there was an episode of the original X-Men TAS that featured Cannonball. Since we know Sunspot will be in X-Men '97, hopefully we get a scene with Sunspot and Cannonball together (or at least they emphasize them together when they start making MCU X-Men movies.). They are those two in the X-franchise, lol.

4ImwzVCa8AiqtAkFif7eLaBM3yzKNwC3GBlTT_6K67A.jpg

Cannonball-X-Men-Vote.jpg

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I had no idea the Eyes of Wakanda animation is gonna be canon to the MCU.

"We're exploring so many amazing avenues on the animated side. Eyes of Wakanda, more than any other show, fits right into our sacred MCU timeline continuity. [Black Panther director Ryan Coogler] is a producer on it, Todd Harris is one of our long-time storyboard artists who directs it. It's about Wakandan history and mythology, and it's really cool. It looks amazing. And it feels like, 'Okay I'm getting an animated look into the MCU.'"
www.menshealth.com

’X-Men ‘97’ Has Something for Every Marvel Fan

Executive producer Brad Winderbaum reveals how the show got made, and what's next for Marvel.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike many, I was never in a particular rush to get to the X-Men, but after the amazing premiere of the reboot today...

d981eefc32d39e9079a64dbd896a4607b9ce1ef7.gif

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, X-Men is the first show Ive checked out on D+ in a while, ended up watching both eps back to back, its really well done. An appreciation for the 90s series, just with better writing and such vastly superior action. Morph, Storm and Cyclops were amazing in it.

Really cant wait to see the rest of the eps. Hoping this gets several more seasons to be honest.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what this means. Could we be seeing X-Men 97 characters or someone from other animated Marvel shows appear in What If S3?

There's also a third season of What If...?with Bryan Andrews leading the charge, whose been there from the beginning. And without spoiling anything, that's where we start to feel crossover potential with animated projects.
www.menshealth.com

Executive producer Brad Winderbaum reveals how the show got made, and what's next for Marvel.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I wonder what this means. Could we be seeing X-Men 97 characters or someone from other animated Marvel shows appear in What If S3?

www.menshealth.com

Yea, because What If season 3 will cover Doctor Strange 2, if not also the Marvels and Ms Marvel - Mutants, Inhumans and the Fantastic Four will all be useable.

Their logic was always that they had to wait for live action versions of those teams or character types to pop up and we got all of them.

That puts everything in their catalog into play, literally all of it except animated Spidey related longer than 32 (if memory serves me) minutes and live action Spidey.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yea, because What If season 3 will cover Doctor Strange 2, if not also the Marvels and Ms Marvel - Mutants, Inhumans and the Fantastic Four will all be useable.

Their logic was always that they had to wait for live action versions of those teams or character types to pop up and we got all of them.

That puts everything in their catalog into play, literally all of it except animated Spidey related longer than 32 (if memory serves me) minutes and live action Spidey.
42 minutes is the ceiling for animated Spider-Man, not 32. The zombie episode was 33 minutes, for context.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So far X-Men '97 seems like it's quite successful. I wonder if this really will lead to other potential revivals like Spider-Man '98 or a new season of EMH.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So far X-Men '97 seems like it's quite successful. I wonder if this really will lead to other potential revivals like Spider-Man '98 or a new season of EMH.
The 90s Spider-Man show is the only one that can really have any hope to capture the same level of zeitgeist that X-Men does, but with Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man coming I think that will have to wait a while.

Really looking forward to that show, I'm ready for a good Spider-man series again.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The 90s Spider-Man show is the only one that can really have any hope to capture the same level of zeitgeist that X-Men does, but with Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man coming I think that will have to wait a while.

Really looking forward to that show, I'm ready for a good Spider-man series again.

Don't agree, Earth's Mightiest Heroes would be a big deal too, as would Spectacular Spider-Man, but that one will basically never ever happen.

Those are both generally seen as the pinnacle of Marvel animated TV.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I don't really have a lot of faith in that show. It seems like it'll be plagued by some of the issues the other recent Spider-Man cartoons have had. Too much focus on Peter having a bunch of super-friends surrounding him.

(Plus I ain't wild about Tombstone reimagined as Peter's buddy. That is Robbie's bully turned citywide bully. I hate when Spider-Man media underplays the Robertsons.)

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017

Spider-Man '98 will 100% be discussed if the numbers are good. Like X-Men Animated, that basically led to the Spider-Man movies getting greenlit I believe. I think that's absolutely something Disney higher ups would consider.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man could be a problem, but I mean... I dunno. It's not an apples to apples comparison, I get it, but they do have Spidey and his Amazing Friends active while Friendly Neighborhood is happening and that isn't an issue. Alternatively I dunno, maybe they could do a special instead of a series if it's really a big problem? That would probably keep audiences from having a problem with two animated Spider-Man shows for older audiences. But I'm not so sure there's really a problem. I think if the shows are different looking enough, audiences will be fine. Bad Batch S2 and Mando S3 ran at the same time I believe, and general audiences seemed to be ok with it. So I think with proper spacing and proper advertising, Spider-Man '98 and Friendly Neighborhood shouldn't be too big a deal being worked on.

More EMH would be great, but my only fear is that it hasn't been in US Disney+ Trending since the service launched (to my knowledge), and unlike X-Men: TAS and Spider-Man: TAS, it didn't have popularity to the point that it basically triggered a movie. I think if someone tries to trigger a fan campaign to get it into trending at some point to send a message. that'll do something. (Honestly, after Manifest and a few other Netflix shows, I'm surprised we don't see more fanbases actively try to coordinate getting numbers up to indicate to higher-ups they want a revival/un-cancellation. But that's a conversation for another time).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Had Spectacular Spider-Man made it to trending on US Disney+ when it was on, I think it would have helped. Yes, yes, Sony TV owns it and doesn't give a shit. Disney would need a lot to reach out about a revival for something they don't own. I get it. But I still think it wouldn't have hurt to get some numbers in front of some execs. Yes, US Netflix it got to trending (that was before the Top 10 was implemented into the Netflix UI though, so it's true placemenet that launch weekend was unknown), but also having done that on US Disney+ would have been extra padding. I'll point to Smash Bros on this: When fans put their money where their mouths are (or in this case data), sometimes miracles can happen. Somehow Disney, Nintendo and Square Enix actually pulled that off, but it wouldn't have happened if the fanbase hadn't been constantly showing up every time something was asked for happened.

If Spectacular ever gets back on US Disney+, everyone and their mother needs to show up and watch that on the service to the degree that it goes to US Trending. Even if you just keep it going on the background and not actively watch it. Am I saying this will 100% get Sony and Disney to talk and greenlight something? No. Am I saying it provides a better opportunity than if it's not on US Trending? Yes.

I still fear for Moon Girl. That show did not show up on US Trending after the showrunners begged everyone to show up before it was dropped. Mind you, it just got repromoted on US Disney+. So I hope and pray that is a sign that the numbers are at least good enough for one more season. But I am absolutely worried not enough people showed up, and are going to get upset if it gets cancelled despite all the warnings given about what could have been done to save the show.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
So about those X-Men 97 premiere numbers.

variety.com

‘X-Men ’97’ Hits 4 Million Views in Five Days

'X-Men '97' hit four million views in five days on Disney+, marking the streamer's biggest animated series launch since 'What If...?' Season 1.

If they're bragging, then it hit/surpassed the numbers they wanted.

I know they were prepping for Season 3, but I forget if it was officially greenlit. If it wasn't, consider that done now. Disney bragged about Percy Jackson's numbers also and that was very quickly renewed.

If 97 Season 3 was already renewed before the premiere, then I imagine what's happening next is discussions about other animated revivals for Marvel.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I know they were prepping for Season 3, but I forget if it was officially greenlit. If it wasn't, consider that done now. Disney bragged about Percy Jackson's numbers also and that was very quickly renewed.

If 97 Season 3 was already renewed before the premiere, then I imagine what's happening next is discussions about other animated revivals for Marvel.

There are already rumors about a Spider-Man TAS revival. We've discussed the possibility of a Spider-Man '98. But I don't know where they go after that. I don't think the other 1990s Marvel animated series have anywhere near the popularity as X-Men and Spider-Man.

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes might have the popularity for a revival. It's a lot more recent (even though the series ended over a decade ago) but I could see it happening.

Would they bring back the other X-Men animated series? It's weird to think about X-Men: Evolution or Wolverine & The X-Men getting new seasons as well.

(And here's where we lament the legal issues surrounding Spectacular Spider-Man would preclude it from seeing a revival. I also think some of the other Spider-Man series like the 1981 series or the original Amazing Friends are too old or Unlimited which didn't seem very popular. I guess there's Ultimate but considering everything surrounding Drake Bell, I can't see anyone actually wanting that. And the other Spider-Man series that debuted in 2017 ended less than 5 years ago.)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate wasnt even a good series when it was on, so Id be hard nope on that one getting more episodes...
Spidey 90s seems like a no brainer because it was both popular at the time, and had a gigantic cliffhanger they can leverage. So that makes sense.

But from there... no idea. I saw someone mention Silver Surfer which definitely was unfinished (we even have some season 2 scripts out there for the first ep) but I dont think it was ever really popular, I dont really remember it at all. I kinda enjoyed what they did with Iron Man and F4 season 2 when they leaned less into comedy and more into slightly better story telling, but neither were that great. Hulk I kinda liked, but I forget where that series ended on...

Its really just X-Men and Spidey for me. Those were the popular ones that could sustain more eps. The only other series I can think of are other iterations of X-Men (Evo and Wolverine) and EMH - EMH had a good first season but was kneecapped in the second when the Skrulls thing was cut short (I suspect) and the series was then suddenly one shot eps with less story...

Then you have all the stuff that came after those - Ultimate Spidey, another Avengers, another Hulk, GOTG I think? But they were all those awful series which had forced humor and just awful writing and animation. Couldnt gel with any of them (I could go on forever about my hatred for Ultimate)

Sadly the series with the most potential - Spectacular - is the one tied up in the most red tape... Plus I do wonder if outside the fanatical fanbase if it'd be that popular to be revived?

Who knows... at least for now we can be happy that X-Men is doing well, and with years worth of stories and characters to pull from, if this goes on for another few series, that's a win for me.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017

Guessing Spider-Man would be a lock if they can get CDB, it was pretty much as popular as XMen.

After that, I'd guess Iron Man but does anyone want non-Downey-inspired Iron Man? Does anyone want MULLET IRON MAN?

Think that cache is better spent on Silver Surfer.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Modok and Hit Monkey now appear in the Marvel section of US Disney+, and the Marvel Animation collection with the recent app update.

Unfortunately, Cloak and Dagger, Legion, The Gifted, and Helstorm do not appear despite being on the app. We'll see if they get added in a future update.

Note: Legion and The Gifted aren't in the X-Men collection either