Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ezmrblk.png

When it comes to spoilers, please tag any spoilers for movies or episodes of Disney+ shows for a week following their release as well as information on upcoming projects not in official marketing materials. Likewise, anything publicly advertised by Marvel Studios (&/or Sony Pictures, in Spider-Man's case) beyond the one-week spoiler rule are fair game. This also applies to casting announcements from well-known trades like Variety, Deadline, &/or The Hollywood Reporter. There's a separate thread for discussing leaks.

Red = Movie, Blue = Disney+ Live-Action Series, Purple = Disney+ Special Presentation, Green = Disney+ Animated Series
  • Already Released/Finished
    • The Infinity Saga
      • Phase 1
        • Iron Man
        • The Incredible Hulk
          • Distributed by Universal Pictures
        • Iron Man 2
        • Thor
        • Captain America: The First Avenger
        • The Avengers
      • Phase 2
        • Iron Man 3
        • Thor: The Dark World
        • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
        • Guardians of the Galaxy [Volume 1]
        • Avengers: Age of Ultron
        • Ant-Man
      • Phase 3
        • Captain America: Civil War
        • Doctor Strange
        • Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2
        • Spider-Man: Homecoming
          • Co-Produced & Distributed by Sony Pictures
        • Thor: Ragnarök
        • Black Panther
        • Avengers: Infinity War
        • Ant-Man and the Wasp
        • Captain Marvel
        • Avengers: Endgame
        • Spider-Man: Far From Home
    • The Multiverse Saga
      • Phase 4
        • WandaVision
        • The Falcon Captain America and the Winter Soldier
        • Black Widow
        • Loki (Season 1)
        • What If...? (Season 1)
        • Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
        • Eternals
        • Hawkeye
        • Spider-Man: No Way Home
        • Moon Knight
        • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
        • Ms. Marvel
        • Thor: Love and Thunder
        • I Am Groot
        • She-Hulk: Attorney At Law
        • Werewolf by Night
        • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
        • The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special
      • Phase 5
        • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (Season 1)
          • Produced by Disney Television Animation & Flying Bark Productions
        • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
        • Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3
  • Upcoming/Ongoing
    • The Multiverse Saga
      • Phase 5
          • Secret Invasion
            • June 21, 2023
          • Loki (Season 2)
            • Premiering on October 6, 2023
          • The Marvels
            • November 10, 2023
          • Echo
            • November 29, 2023
          • X-Men '97 (Season 1)
            • Late 2023
          • What If...? (Season 2)
          • Captain America: Brave New World
            • May 3, 2024
          • Thunderbolts
            • July 26, 2024
          • Ironheart
          • Echo
          • Agatha: Coven of Chaos
          • Daredevil: Born Again
          • Spider-Man: Freshman Year (Season 1)
          • Marvel Zombies
      • Phase 6
          • Blade
            • September 6, 2024
          • Deadpool 3
            • November 8, 2024
          • Fantastic Four
            • February 14, 2025
          • Avengers: The Kang Dynasty
            • May 2, 2025
          • Avengers: Secret Wars
            • May 1, 2026
    • TBD
      • Shang-Chi 2
      • Spider-Man 4
      • Spider-Man 5
      • Spider-Man 6
      • Armor Wars
      • Wonder Man
      • Untitled Wakanda Series
      • Vision Quest
      • Nova
      • Untitled Space Project
      • *cough*Young Avengers*cough*
        • Photo-Feb-25-8-16-58-PM.jpg

MCU-Era Discord Server
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You actually used that title, OP. I just threw it out there on a lark, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Open spoilers for previous shows are fair game, but ongoing shows need to have spoiler tags if the episode is less than a week old.

Alright. Thanks

So do we think billy and tommy will be aged up for the young avengers? And who should play them? I'm assuming Stature, Patriot, Americah Chavez, Ms Marvel, Kate will all be who is playing them now?

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
New topic smell. Maybe send a mod request to lock the last one so people know to move here?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
New OT freshness and one I'm actually here for. That's...different.

Oh btw should note that we don't actually know about a Werewolf By Night project in specific, it's just been noted elsewhere as being part of some kind of Halloween Special.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm celebrating the new MCU thread by… watching Sony Marvel movies!

starting my Spidey marathon

just finished 2002. Still fucking wonderful.

AND THEY SAY THAT A HERO CAN SAVE US

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So will they have a familiar face on a young avengers team? CBR feels it should be spider man. I kind of like a Paul Rudd as a older mentor guy/liaison with the big avengers team.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I swear Spidey 2 looks like 100x better than Spidey 1. Watching both back to back, you'd think the first one had a super low budget.

Wikipedia says $139 million, which seems… like a lot for 2002? I wonder went toward the actual final film we saw. Almost feels like much of that was flushed down the fucking toilet since the film was in development hell for so damn long.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I swear Spidey 2 looks like 100x better than Spidey 1. Watching both back to back, you'd think the first one had a super low budget.

Wikipedia says $139 million, which seems… like a lot for 2002? I wonder went toward the actual final film we saw. Almost feels like much of that was flushed down the fucking toilet since the film was in development hell for so damn long.
Maybe that's part of why Raimi 2 aged better than the first.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Don't know how reliable this person is, but as I said in the previous OT, it would make a lot of sense for the Strange 2 teaser to drop soon to go along with No Way Home:

Just got word that the first trailer for #DoctorStrangeInTheMultiverseOfMadness is done and ready to go. Hoping to get some details soon.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
We all know the real question about the blip is how did all the music acts who lost half their members survive?

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We all know the real question about the blip is how did all the music acts who lost half their members survive?
I also have the same question about musicals, because we know various real life Broadway musicals exist in the MCU. For example, Beetlejuice is still running on Broadway by 2024 in the MCU. In real life, it's only now being brought back after closing right before the pandemic.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know how reliable this person is, but as I said in the previous OT, it would make a lot of sense for the Strange 2 teaser to drop soon to go along with No Way Home:

Just got word that the first trailer for #DoctorStrangeInTheMultiverseOfMadness is done and ready to go. Hoping to get some details soon.

Marvel's been doing their first trailers ~4 months out lately which should be about January, so this tracks.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if they're holding off waiting for NWH to release because whatever happens there is relevant to MOM.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Saw some projections for Spidey. Those numbers look like the pandemic is over. This Tom trilogy might just average a billion, amazing how big these movies have gotten once introduced to a bigger world.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This'll be the thread a Young Avengers movie will be announced, with Cloak & Dagger to be part of said team of young Avengers.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Nice, nrw OT! I am doing a Marvel rewatch till the new Spidey comes out and I am now at Guardians 2.. Gonna watch until Far From Home I think since the rest is still really fresh in my mind!

Also some Hawkeye tommorow for me! Marvel had a good year :)

Fathead

Oct 31, 2017
I am trying not to freak out at the upcoming characters but I am not succeeding at it.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm thinking of doing a visual overhaul for the OT, but that'll take time. For reference, it took a month for me to get the Hawkeye OT to where it is now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So as part of my hype for NWH, I finally finished watching the non MCU Spidey movies. Just finished watching Amazing Spidey 2. And... I liked it? Dont get me wrong, there's lots I dont like, but Im actually surprised how much I enjoyed big parts of it!

I like Gwen, actually probably liked her interactions more compared to Peter and MJ in the Tobey movies. Not sure why... maybe its because they gave Gwen something to do within Oscorp so she didnt completely feel like a damsel.

Electro - I really liked him. Sure his backstory was a bit meh, but I really liked how he was done in the story (bar his terrible "costume"). I mostly liked him because of...

The action - This movie did one thing right. They got the look of the action down really well. From just the opening swing through the city, to his use of webs, to the action choreography throughout. It was almost entirely excellent. Visually I loved it. I at least wasnt bored watching it.

What I didnt like...

Harry/Norman Osborn - While I still didnt like Harry in Spidey 3, they at least built him up throughout the previous movies. The motivation was there. Here it basically goes from 0 to 100 in an hour or so. We are supposed to believe this guy Peter never mentions prior is his best friend... it doesnt feel believeable at all.
The whole idea of the Osborn's being cursed isnt a bad idea in theory but again its not really highlighted all that much at all in the first movie (used as bad motivation for Connors turning into The Lizard. Would have helped if Norman actually got more than 2 minutes screen time across both movies...
Also, Harry's goblin appearance was the most laughable thing in the movie. Simply terrible. Plus he shows up and gets KO'ed almost immediately... a monumental waste of a character who's supposed to be one of Spidey's most dangerous foes. I could rant on and on about this point (I feel it completely brought down the movie) but Id rather forget about it entirely.

The whole Parker parents back story. Feels like they wanted to do something interesting with them but it came off as just being plain bad... Its like the plot of Ultimate Spider-Man's Venom (Brock and Parker developing the symbiote to cure cancer) but somehow the plot just ended up as far worse here compared to Ultimate.

Oh, and as for Parker's parents. Trying to set up several things in future movies, really badly. Felicia (Hardy) presumably was being set up as Black Cat but gets no screen time, no hint at her true intentions. But far worse is the whole Sinister Six idea... like the tech for Ock, Vulture etc. existed within Oscorp and they were just going to slap people into these suits/tech and call it a day? Again its been done way better elsewhere - namely Spectacular Spidey where Tombstone has Oscorp "develop" super villains to keep Spidey busy, which throughout the show they developed petty crooks (Sandman and Rhino) while also giving Octavius more of a backstory so his eventual transformation into Doc Ock worked far better... granted its a TV show that had more time to develop these plot points over a longer space of time, still did it all better though...

That ending - Like, I dont even really dislike the way they did the Rhino, but having it end the way it did just seemed silly.

So yeah... I liked the action and Electro. So here's hoping Electro is great in NWH.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with the ASM films are numerous, but at the core of it all is that the studio wanted one thing, and the director and cast wanted another.

The studio wanted their own version of the MCU. A big sprawling epic that could birth new franchises. The director and cast wanted a smaller, more personal story about loss and dealing with that loss. Over the course of those movies Peter loses his parents, Uncle Ben, Captain Stacy, and Gwen. I'm not sure what ASM 3 would have looked like, but it clearly would have been about trying to move on.

I can not think of a greater miscast in any of the Spider-Man films than Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy. She should have been Mary Jane. The problem is Peter and MJ are such a famous couple that her very presence would undercut the doomed romance the films were telling (this is also why the MCU gave Zendaya's character a different name so they could surprise reveal she was "MJ" all along as a part of the climax to Homecoming. I still think that was dumb, but that's a different discussion). People wouldn't have taken Peter x Gwen seriously, but MJ should have been there. Gwen's death affected her too. Instead they tried to explain away why MJ wasn't there with silly shipping wars and engaged in some really disgusting slut shaming that still gets brought up in some corners of the internet.

But we'll never get that story told in another medium since Sony screwed it all up and Spider-Gwen is now a hero they can market on their own.

🤷‍♂️

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
If you just take the Spider-Man bits as a cross section of ASM2 you've got a great movie with real artistic flare, it's just bogged down by, like, an hour and a half of pure schlock. There's a good movie there if you take out Harry, Peters parents, the sinister six setup and Electro's pre-accident personality.

It becomes the worst Spider-Man film by proxy because its less fun to watch so much needless boring crap than it is to watch super goofy meme crap like in SM3.