• None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I know that it would be years later, but think there's any chance MacBook Airs start shipping with OLED screens at some point?

I think an OLED panel with ~600-700 nits peak brightness on a 15in MacBook Air might be my dream machine right now.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Someone needs to convince me to part ways with my 2018 iPad Pro that seems to run everything I need perfectly to this day.

Same with my Air 3. It will be years (and probably be falling apart) by the time it's not powerful enough to do what it's supposed to: browse the web and social media while I'm in bed. People are just not interested in upgrading so there's neither a supply nor a demand of refurbs.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll gladly upgrade my iPad Pro at a premium price if they come out with one that turns into a Mac when it sees a keyboard/mouse (or even if Apple does the scummy Apple thing and make it so it needs a proprietary Magic Keyboard to unlock Mac Mode).

But until then, my 2018 model has all the power I need. Sure I'd rather have OLED, but I'm not watching that much media on a smudgy screen - this thing is for browsing, comics, socials, and other various activity along those lines.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting that itch for a Mac laptop. It's been years. My iPad Pro 2018 has still been great but i'd really like to be able to make music on the go. I saw on MacRumors that the MBA is due for an update in March. It feels weird to get a non-pro macbook for Ableton and light gaming, but these M-series chips have been pretty crazy, so I'm crossing my fingers the reviews are strong.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
For people who've used a Pro Max sized phone, is the screen size helpful or a hindrance? I'm debating going with the 15 Pro or the 15 Pro Max. I've been using an iPhone 13 for the last few years and typing isn't as comfortable as I'd like (my thumbs keep bumping into each other, and I frequently hit the wrong keys when typing a lot of words, plus I've been holding the screen to my face a lot more recently, but most of the time it's usable).

is there anything fun to do with an old Mac Mini (well not OLD… it's the M1/8 GB).

I just bought a MBA 13" M2 and love it. No real use for the MM, but looks like after fees I'll probably only be able to sell it for like $300 or even a little less.

So maybe I should just keep it? Hook it up to my TV?

If you're a musician and haven't somehow become someone with a bedroom studio yet, that's a good computer for that. Plus Garageband can be used to make all sorts of music, and it's already on there!

And if you're not a musician, you can make funny sound effects in it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
Pro max user, love mines. Last two phones have been Pro max model. Can't go back now. If I pick up the wife's SE, it feels like I'm holding a child's toy.

Do you not have an Apple Store or the like local where you can test drive for a little bit?

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
For people who've used a Pro Max sized phone, is the screen size helpful or a hindrance? I'm debating going with the 15 Pro or the 15 Pro Max. I've been using an iPhone 13 for the last few years and typing isn't as comfortable as I'd like (my thumbs keep bumping into each other, and I frequently hit the wrong keys when typing a lot of words, plus I've been holding the screen to my face a lot more recently, but most of the time it's usable).
I have been big sized phone since the 6 Plus. Do it. You get used to the size in about 10 minutes and then you'll never think about it again.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

I'm always debating going for the Pro Max whenever i buy a new phone, and then i just opt for the pro.
I'm very much certain that it's a point of no return - once you go max, you don't go back.

At the same time i'm unwilling to pay like 100 extra bucks for a phone that does basically NOTHING with that even larger screen on an OS level.
Sure, it's bigger and browsing the web means more lines fit onto the screen; also the battery is better.

But a phone that is almost "small tablet sized" should offer me more functionality on an OS level than an iPhone 13 Mini.

Basically, i want proper dual-app multitasking. Once Apple adds that to iOS, i'll go for a Max.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Pro max user, love mines. Last two phones have been Pro max model. Can't go back now.

I have been big sized phone since the 6 Plus. Do it. You get used to the size in about 10 minutes and then you'll never think about it again.

I'm very much certain that it's a point of no return - once you go max, you don't go back.
Counterpoint: the biggest phone I've owned was the Nexus 6P and I never got used to the size. I ended up hating it because of how big it was, and the only reason I am currently on an iPhone at all is because Google decided to stop making reasonably-sized phones.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
If the non-Max models increase their size to 6.3 inches as rumored and the battery life on them are more or less equal, I see no reason to go for the Max. It's a nuisance and it's only pro's are the size of the screen for typing and the longer battery life. I'll gladly go smaller soon.

Oct 25, 2017

If you're a musician and haven't somehow become someone with a bedroom studio yet, that's a good computer for that. Plus Garageband can be used to make all sorts of music, and it's already on there!

And if you're not a musician, you can make funny sound effects in it.
I gotten used to the pm coming from the reg pro. It's def not a one handed phone. So think about your hands and your pockets if you want to go bigger. Biggest benefit is the battery. The battery on the reg Pro is the worst of any iPhone model.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
If the non-Max models increase their size to 6.3 inches as rumored and the battery life on them are more or less equal, I see no reason to go for the Max. It's a nuisance and it's only pro's are the size of the screen for typing and the longer battery life. I'll gladly go smaller soon.

If the non-Max models increase their size to 6.3 I'm going to be replacing batteries on my 13 mini for a very long time. How about giving people that just want a smartphone... a smartphone. I don't need to carry a whole-ass fucking tablet wherever I go and I already have bigger screens at home devices in different form factors if the phone size is not enough. PLEASE.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
If the non-Max models increase their size to 6.3 I'm going to be replacing batteries on my 13 mini for a very long time. How about giving people that just want a smartphone... a smartphone. I don't need to carry a whole-ass fucking tablet wherever I go and I already have bigger screens at home devices in different form factors if the phone size is not enough. PLEASE.
Your avatar was my reaction to reading the rumor that the base model is going to 6.3". I have zero interest in that.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Back on Arc browser after taking a few months off.

Yeah, I still love this browser. Also, I popped it into fullscreen for the first time and it makes me realize how close this is to actually being an "operating system for the web" as they often market themselves as. Really pleasant fullscreen experience, especially if you hide the sidebar.

Not sure if it falls under the scope of the EU's present regulations on tech, but I am hoping Apple starts allowing Apple Pay on third party browsers -- even if it's kinda roundabout as an Extension or something. That's one of the biggest remaining draws for me staying with Safari since I rely on Apple Pay quite a lot (plus I just find it incredibly convenient on sites that support it). My tab sharing issue is slightly fixed -- I can at least grab the tabs from my iPhone on my Mac now, but still not quite the other way around (unless I use Arc Mobile which just isn't that good IMO).

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Have an annoying, rather deep scratch on my new iPhone 15 (I must have banged it on something). I'll be honest though, this scratch is kinda hard to see unless you're looking at the phone in a certain way. Although once you see it, you can't unsee it, and it doesn't help that it's in the middle of the phone.

Now, with that being said, how unlikely is it that I can use my AppleCare+ to get the screen replaced lol? Helluva first world problem, but it's going to be so annoying with the location of the scratch over the next few years.

I'm definitely going to start using screen protectors too moving forward.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Apple brainwashing spell is starting to take hold of me once again. After finding the AirPods Max to be ridiculous looking and a complete ripoff being that expensive I'm kinda starting to come around and I think they actually look kinda sick. Still ridiculously expensive, but sick.

How are the rumors looking these days? Is there an upgrade coming any time soon?

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
The Apple brainwashing spell is starting to take hold of me once again. After finding the AirPods Max to be ridiculous looking and a complete ripoff being that expensive I'm kinda starting to come around and I think they actually look kinda sick. Still ridiculously expensive, but sick.

How are the rumors looking these days? Is there an upgrade coming any time soon?

A USB-C refresh is expected this year: https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/airpods-max/

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the APMs were pretty heavy and had to return them. That on top of them being expensive and not having USB-C. I think they are a nice premium metal product but I think plastic serves me better for traveling with them. The metal feels heavy to me and my head seemed to hurt after 30 minutes of usage.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Seems wild that they're not planning on adding the H2 chip to the AirPods Max revision. That means no adaptive noise control, conversation awareness or personalised volume, three things that make the AirPods Pro 2 really stand out against the competition.
I guess rumors are rumors but I'd expect the H2 chip to be in there, that would be an absolutely wild omission in 2024. I think people are just expecting an overall very iterative upgrade. No big changes to design, battery life, better case, water resistance, etc. Sounds like USB-C and new colors will be the main things, but I'd be blown away if H2 wasn't in there (but who knows lol)

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Just setup my new iPhone 15 Pro from an encrypted backup of my previous phone (iPhone XS) that I made onto my Mac.

My wallet and Apple Health data transferred over (which I think requires an encrypted backup in order to do, which is why I did it that way) but none of my apps or iOS settings actually did? I'm having to go back through and setup iCloud syncing the way I want it, delete a bunch of the default apps, reinstall all of my app store apps, setup my widgets and wallpapers and lock screen stuff, etc.

Is that normal? I don't remember it working this way but it's been a while since I last had to go through this.

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad apple made a sports app for real time scores and following.

But WHY do they limit you only going back to see the previous game? You get stats for the last game, today, and the next game. That's it. That's insanely stupid.

They should also just allow live activities from this app and ditch having to go to the Apple TV app for that.

Sometimes I wonder with these tech companies if they literally don't ask at any point "how would a normal person (aka a person not developing this app) try to use this?"

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I recently got a pair of AirPods Pro new from Best Buy and have noticed the case has pretty horrendous battery. Is this to be expected or do I have a dud? For example, I charged it over night, used the AirPods about 1.5 hours so far today, and my battery is already at 80%. My Jabra Elite 3 these replaced didn't give me percentage, but the battery on those was so good I charged them maybe once ever 2 weeks, I'm probably using the AirPods a bit more but so far I'm feeling like I have to charge these every 3 days

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I'm really glad apple made a sports app for real time scores and following.

But WHY do they limit you only going back to see the previous game? You get stats for the last game, today, and the next game. That's it. That's insanely stupid.

They should also just allow live activities from this app and ditch having to go to the Apple TV app for that.

Sometimes I wonder with these tech companies if they literally don't ask at any point "how would a normal person (aka a person not developing this app) try to use this?"
I strongly feel that Apple is really good at making hardware and operating systems, and really bad at making software to run on them.
I recently got a pair of AirPods Pro new from Best Buy and have noticed the case has pretty horrendous battery. Is this to be expected or do I have a dud? For example, I charged it over night, used the AirPods about 1.5 hours so far today, and my battery is already at 80%. My Jabra Elite 3 these replaced didn't give me percentage, but the battery on those was so good I charged them maybe once ever 2 weeks, I'm probably using the AirPods a bit more but so far I'm feeling like I have to charge these every 3 days
They just have garbage battery life. I thought my AirPods Pro 2 case was defective when I got them because the battery life was such shit, but that's just the way they are.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Question for watch owners

I currently use a Fitbit to measure HR/calorie burn. I really like the pedometer built into Apple fitness on my 15 pro max (first iPhone) because my job involves a lot of movement where my hands don't move in a walking motion (holding something, usually), so it's far more accurate for steps. If you get an Apple watch, does it still use the phone to help measure steps, or does the watch take over completely? Looking to get the most consistent calorie burn + step info possible.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Going to try to ask this here before making a new thread.

I'm looking into getting Airpods but I'm unsure if I should go with the regular ones or the Pro version.

I had decent wired IEM before (Shure SE215) but I didn't quite like them, I used them exclusively outdoors and they isolate sound too much, the tips were also a bit hard to remove so I didn't bother after a couple of times and they got kinda icky after a while, on the other hand regular, cheap earphones have always been kinda flimsy and fall out of my ears rather easily which is very annoying.

Currently I'm using Beats Solo Pro which are on-ear, they are also the only ANC I've ever owned, they work fine but get kinda stuffy during summer and a bit messy if I sweat, the ANC is also completely useless outdoors because the faintest breeze will make them sound as if someone is blowing on a microphone, I thought they were broken at first before I disabled it.

So I've been looking at Airpods since I got an iPhone a couple of years ago and I'm kinda torn on which one I should get, I'm worried the regular ones will fall easily, plus lightning port and H1 chip is also a minus, and I'm worried the Pro version will 1) Isolate too much sound 2) hard to replace and/or clean the tips. I know they have a transparency mode but I'm not sure if it's customizable (control the volume of outside sound) or if wind will make it unusable.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Going to try to ask this here before making a new thread.

I'm looking into getting Airpods but I'm unsure if I should go with the regular ones or the Pro version.

I had decent wired IEM before (Shure SE215) but I didn't quite like them, I used them exclusively outdoors and they isolate sound too much, the tips were also a bit hard to remove so I didn't bother after a couple of times and they got kinda icky after a while, on the other hand regular, cheap earphones have always been kinda flimsy and fall out of my ears rather easily which is very annoying.

Currently I'm using Beats Solo Pro which are on-ear, they are also the only ANC I've ever owned, they work fine but get kinda stuffy during summer and a bit messy if I sweat, the ANC is also completely useless outdoors because the faintest breeze will make them sound as if someone is blowing on a microphone, I thought they were broken at first before I disabled it.

So I've been looking at Airpods since I got an iPhone a couple of years ago and I'm kinda torn on which one I should get, I'm worried the regular ones will fall easily, plus lightning port and H1 chip is also a minus, and I'm worried the Pro version will 1) Isolate too much sound 2) hard to replace and/or clean the tips. I know they have a transparency mode but I'm not sure if it's customizable (control the volume of outside sound) or if wind will make it unusable.
Get the Pros. I have not had any issues keeping the tips clean. There's an assistive version of the ANC you can try that will drown out more noise the louder it gets around you. And most importantly, IMO, the regular AirPods have garbage sound quality for anything other than voice calls and podcasts.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If the rumours of a 12.9" iPad Air are true, I wonder how they'll price it. If it has the M2 then the current M2 pro will be on clearance or discontinues so surely has to be less than that. And if no promotion too.. for my use I think it'd be plenty vs an OLED although I would need Magic Keyboard and trackpad support

Jafku1

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2018 Ipad Pro. Randomly my iPad will no longer recognize any usb-c to usb-c cables. I'm now charging it with a USB-A to USB-C cable. Has anyone else experienced this?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else had the issue in iOS 17's Music app where you hit the << button to replay a song and it plays but...there's no audio coming out. Like the playhead moves, but it's not doing anything. I have to pause and play again for it to actually play. This happens to me pretty often. This is with Apple Music tracks, not sure if on-device tracks are affected also.

The Music app in general just feels like it's held together with duct tape, especially doing anything with Apple Music.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Get the Pros. I have not had any issues keeping the tips clean. There's an assistive version of the ANC you can try that will drown out more noise the louder it gets around you. And most importantly, IMO, the regular AirPods have garbage sound quality for anything other than voice calls and podcasts.

Ended up getting the Pros, got them from Amazon since they're a good $45~ cheaper, the box had some scuff marks but otherwise looked sealed, first time buying apple things not directly from them.

Tried them today, I'm genuinely impressed with the transparency/adaptative mode, I though it'd have a slight delay but I don't notice it, I can see why some people use them as hearing aid, I wonder if there's a way to customize it so it's not as loud, it almost drowns out whatever I'm trying to listen to.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I am really looking forward to upgrading my 2018 11-inch iPad Pro, and yet news like this has me groaning at the same time. Whhyyy oh why does it have to be this thin?

Keep it the same size and add some more battery!

www.macrumors.com

OLED iPad Pro's Thin Design Highlighted in CAD Drawings

Apple is working on a new version of the iPad Pro that is set to launch as soon as March, and the refresh will mark the biggest design update to the...

11-inch-ipad-pro-2024-thickness.jpg

That is nearly 5mm thin, down from 6mm on my current iPad.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well for the first time since I got it, I accidentally left my Apple Card behind at a restaurant after clearing the bill a couple of days ago, and I only noticed today when i went to reach for the physical card from my wallet for a car wash payment today and it wasn't there.

The fact that I could take care of that entire ordeal from my Wallet app was blissfully convenient... plus, I can still use my Apple Card digitally without the physical card -- like it's not disabled, and I'm only out of the ability to pay physically when tap pay isn't available.

Kinda awesome experience compared to using my past debit cards and other credit cards. Just a couple of taps in the wallet app to make sure nothing was charged to my physical card since the restaurant (I was in the clear on that, no activity with my physical card since), then a tap to deactivate it, then a tap to order a new one. Easy peasy.

Wonder if my bank can issue any cards where I have this level of ease from their own app. I doubt it...

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
i have a stereo homepod mini setup . . . streaming alac* from windows using itunes . . . what year is this

chrono chross soundtrack still top tier

audio is so good on these, i'd like to hear the normal ones in a stereo setup

*i kinda want an atmos setup

Last edited:

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
ps:

why is eero the only option that we have? yes, there are a ton of others, but it's easy to use and works well. plus, that new eero 7 pro

anyway, i want apple to bring back the airport express as mesh wifi sytems that work with homepod to basically be a wifi router with a speaker

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017

I got AirPods Pro recently and the Adaptive transparency modes make them absolute game changers. You don't really feel isolated in them unless you want to be compared to standard IEMs. My only gripes are as follows:

• The battery life stinks. I wish the case was bigger so it had a bigger battery and could charge them once a week instead of every other day. Hoping iPhone gets reverse wireless charging at some point to make this less of an issue.
  • The sound quality is no where near worth the $250, or even the $190 I paid on sale. Straight up these don't sound much better than slightly above entry level wired earbuds that can be found for $30. I kind of accepted this after a week as paying for the great experience with wireless earbuds is worth it, but still get a little disappointed when I think about how much they cost and how "fine" the sound is.

Other than those two pretty large drawbacks, they're great! Excited to travel with them in May and see how they handle noise cancellation there.

Oct 25, 2017
I got AirPods Pro recently and the Adaptive transparency modes make them absolute game changers. You don't really feel isolated in them unless you want to be compared to standard IEMs. My only gripes are as follows:

• The battery life stinks. I wish the case was bigger so it had a bigger battery and could charge them once a week instead of every other day. Hoping iPhone gets reverse wireless charging at some point to make this less of an issue.
  • The sound quality is no where near worth the $250, or even the $190 I paid on sale. Straight up these don't sound much better than slightly above entry level wired earbuds that can be found for $30. I kind of accepted this after a week as paying for the great experience with wireless earbuds is worth it, but still get a little disappointed when I think about how much they cost and how "fine" the sound is.

Other than those two pretty large drawbacks, they're great! Excited to travel with them in May and see how they handle noise cancellation there.
You have the first gen or 2nd gen?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

Second point sounds like you might have had faulty ones?

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
New MacBook airs today! Mostly just a spec update however they do now support 2 external monitors if the laptop is closed.

Snagged myself a starlight 13inch model. Really excited to have a Mac laptop again.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
New MacBook airs today! Mostly just a spec update however they do now support 2 external monitors if the laptop is closed.

Snagged myself a starlight 13inch model. Really excited to have a Mac laptop again.
Yup, got a Starlight model too, can't wait. My M1 Air, even at the base 8GB/256GB spec, has been an absolute champ. Probably the best laptop I've ever owned, but I should have gotten bigger storage and battery life has definitely degraded a bit. Went with 16GB/512GB for the M3, very excited.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's taken me over 2 years to decide but… 16in MacBook Pro is not a form factor I'll pick again. Just too big for a computer I'm hauling around all over. 14in MBP or back to 13in MBA for my next MacBook—but I'll live with my choice for the remainder of its service life (probably another 3 years at least but hoping 4-5).

Would be fine if it was a machine I only took with me once in a while but as a daily carry, it's not ideal.

Hopefully OLED on at least 14in MBP by then…