• Airpods

Votes: 414 65.6%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 314 49.8%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
it's kinda crazy how the m1 macbook air of all things shone as brightly as it did, and showcased exactly how strong the m processor platform could be on what was previously considered apple's weakest hardware offering. and it only got better through pro, max, and ultra. it's gonna be a very hard sell unless you're on very antiquated intel chipsets to jump for the upsell, as even apple's struggling to outdo themselves after m1

m3 imac felt like the perfect place to make some additional jumps - 16/512 starting config, an m3 pro option like the mac mini has, something to truly set itself apart, but they took the safest possible option and it led to an unexciting sku landing with a bit of a dud

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
it's kinda crazy how the m1 macbook air of all things shone as brightly as it did, and showcased exactly how strong the m processor platform could be on what was previously considered apple's weakest hardware offering. and it only got better through pro, max, and ultra. it's gonna be a very hard sell unless you're on very antiquated intel chipsets to jump for the upsell, as even apple's struggling to outdo themselves after m1

m3 imac felt like the perfect place to make some additional jumps - 16/512 starting config, an m3 pro option like the mac mini has, something to truly set itself apart, but they took the safest possible option and it led to an unexciting sku landing with a bit of a dud
I don't think people are realistic in expecting such huge jumps like the M1 across the M2 and M3. The M3 is a noticeable upgrade for the GPU and seems to be made for the Vision Pro, and am desperately hoping they stick it in the Vision Pro before release. The M1 will be fine for people for several more years, and I think their goal with these chips will eventually have changes invisible to people outside of battery, machine learning, and certain MacOS features.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
www.macrumors.com

What to Expect From Apple in 2024: Vision Pro, iPhone 16 Models, Revamped iPad Pro and More

2024 is going to start off strong with the launch of the Vision Pro, Apple's first major new product since the 2015 Apple Watch, and new iPads,...

So I have to wonder what a 2024 AppleTV with an A16 processor over the current A15 would really offer? Both are 5nm. Any leap in CPU and GPU performance would be irrelevant outside of gaming. I don't think they'd be able to shrink package sizes yet without a real die shrink.

The biggest advantages would be if Apple once again upped the RAM. And of course, operationally, it allows them to phase out A15 processor production/potentially use a stockpile of binned A16 processors. Otherwise, just about every advantage would come with using the A17, unless they "bolt-on" a number of iPhone 15 Pro enhancements. Die shrink, WiFi 6E, AV1 codec decode support, 6GB of RAM, and potentially a smaller form factor for cheaper shipping all start to make it a decent upgrade.

I've said this before, but I also think it's in Apple's interest to get the processor in the Series 9 Apple Watches into HomePods ASAP. The on-device neural engine could be critical to Siri moving forward, and something you'll not want a HomePod without. I just wish Apple would start including WiFi chips better than 802.11n in the Apple Watch and therefore in the HomePods. It's horrendous for smart home devices.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
www.macrumors.com

What to Expect From Apple in 2024: Vision Pro, iPhone 16 Models, Revamped iPad Pro and More

2024 is going to start off strong with the launch of the Vision Pro, Apple's first major new product since the 2015 Apple Watch, and new iPads,...

So I have to wonder what a 2024 AppleTV with an A16 processor over the current A15 would really offer? Both are 5nm. Any leap in CPU and GPU performance would be irrelevant outside of gaming. I don't think they'd be able to shrink package sizes yet without a real die shrink.

The biggest advantages would be if Apple once again upped the RAM. And of course, operationally, it allows them to phase out A15 processor production/potentially use a stockpile of binned A16 processors. Otherwise, just about every advantage would come with using the A17, unless they "bolt-on" a number of iPhone 15 Pro enhancements. Die shrink, WiFi 6E, AV1 codec decode support, 6GB of RAM, and potentially a smaller form factor for cheaper shipping all start to make it a decent upgrade.

I've said this before, but I also think it's in Apple's interest to get the processor in the Series 9 Apple Watches into HomePods ASAP. The on-device neural engine could be critical to Siri moving forward, and something you'll not want a HomePod without. I just wish Apple would start including WiFi chips better than 802.11n in the Apple Watch and therefore in the HomePods. It's horrendous for smart home devices.
I think the better onboard audio you see on the current watches will be good when it goes into the other products, but really the Apple TV is so strong outside of maybe the Karaoke feature they have never added anything substantial device to device.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
And just like that we're in January!

Excited for the Vision Pro! Got my finances lined up and everything! Hoping I can secure a pre-order in. A late January, early February launch would be lovely!

Modu5

Nov 15, 2017
Are the first gen AirPod pros compatible with the new 2nd gen usb-c case? When I try the light blinks amber and doesn't seem like it's charging.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Are the first gen AirPod pros compatible with the new 2nd gen usb-c case? When I try the light blinks amber and doesn't seem like it's charging.
does this not work?

Set up your AirPods or charging case

Connect the case to power, close the lid, and wait 20 minutes. Open the lid and check the status light. It should flash amber. Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for 15 seconds until the status light flashes white.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
fIjHhxb.png

No.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Hey everyone, first time visiting the Apple OT.
I'm starting at a new company in February and getting a Macbook Air M1 2020 from them. This will be my first ever MacOS device.
Before I was allowed to use my Windows gaming PC for work from home (I mostly just used web apps Outlook, Teams, etc. in conjunction with Azure Virtual Desktop) and I had a Surface that I used for when going to the office.
My new job doesn't allow BYOD and I will be getting the aforementioned MBA M1 2020.
My current setup has two 27" 1440p 144Hz monitors. I've read that the M1 series of devices only allows one external display.
I've also thought about ways to make switching between home and work hardware as seamless as possible and first came to the conclusion that I would need a DisplayLink compatible USB-C dock that emulates two screens via screen recording and then hook that up to a KVM switch, which would also have a connection from my PC and ultimately connect to the monitors.
That solution would cover 90% of what I'd want from such a hybrid setup, but the remaining 10% would be the ability to use both with one monitor each at the same time without having to rewire anything. That would not be possible with the KVM scenario since that would be an all or nothing switch.

After doing some more research I found out that some newer ultrawide monitors come with KVM capabilities out of the box and some even allow that hybrid scenario of using half of the screen for each device.

Awesome!
Less boxes, less cables, less clutter, more flexibility!

Now the only thing I keep reading here and there is that Macs apparently aren't as flexible as Windows PCs when it comes to scaling to some resolutions.
Now my question to you would be if anyone has experience with ultrawide monitors and specifically a 5.120 x 1.440 resolution.

I just want to make sure my new setup doesn't have any glaring issues.
My monitor of choice would be the LG UltraWide 49WQ95X-W if anyone is wondering.

Last edited:

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Now the only thing I keep reading here and there is that Macs apparently aren't as flexible as Windows PCs when it comes to scaling to some resolutions.
Now my question to you would be if anyone has experience with ultrawide monitors and specifically a 5.120 x 1.440 resolution.
As long as your monitor has enough bandwidth over the USB connection you're planning on using, you should be able to make it work. Some scales will look funky/jaggy if it doesn't have the right pixel precision, but a higher DPI makes that disappear.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
The word has been that it'll be appointment-only, and pretty limited. Makes sense given how high-touch the whole process will be.

Oct 28, 2017
California
My space black 14 Inch M3 Pro came in today, using it right now, goddamn what a beautiful machine, and typing on this is a dream.

Finally upgraded from my 2015 13 in MB Pro, and what a difference 9 years makes lol

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
As long as your monitor has enough bandwidth over the USB connection you're planning on using, you should be able to make it work. Some scales will look funky/jaggy if it doesn't have the right pixel precision, but a higher DPI makes that disappear.
I stumbled upon this chart that seems to list preferrable scaling scenarios depending on a display's DPI.
ppi-chart.png

The LG 49" UW display comes in at 108.5 DPI across the whole width, which would fall in the "good for not retina" category.
The same would go for a split screen mode with a fake 27" at 1440p.
I've seen some footage of a Mac Mini M1 with a display with the same specs as the LG monitor and the scaling seemed perfect, so I'm optimistic.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, currently facing what seems like a pretty good deal on an Air Pods Max and I'm leaning pretty heavily towards buying it. I know they're several years old now but I have a need for really good audio using my iPhone as the main player as I've been shifting over to Apple Music pretty heavily lately. Is it still worth it even just $100 off the price? Would it be worth sticking it out instead for the revision I'm sure is coming at some point?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, currently facing what seems like a pretty good deal on an Air Pods Max and I'm leaning pretty heavily towards buying it. I know they're several years old now but I have a need for really good audio using my iPhone as the main player as I've been shifting over to Apple Music pretty heavily lately. Is it still worth it even just $100 off the price? Would it be worth sticking it out instead for the revision I'm sure is coming at some point?
Revision is heavily rumoured to be a USB C port and maybe new colors, nothing much else. Up to you if that's worth waiting for (or if it's worth waiting to see if they surprise with other upgrades too, but there's not much reason to think that). Honestly I'd be happy with USB C and a proper way to turn them off, lots of people (myself included when I had them) found they had some pretty nasty battery drain

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Revision is heavily rumoured to be a USB C port and maybe new colors, nothing much else. Up to you if that's worth waiting for (or if it's worth waiting to see if they surprise with other upgrades too, but there's not much reason to think that). Honestly I'd be happy with USB C and a proper way to turn them off, lots of people (myself included when I had them) found they had some pretty nasty battery drain
Thanks for that. USB-C would be lovely but seeing as I don't plan on moving on from my 14 pro for a few years, I'll be keeping my lightning cable handy either way so that's not too big a deal for me. My only real concerns are primarily if there would be any significant audio changes. I know they're limited since they are bluetooth but that's fine with me. I just want really good quality audio in a way that fits my current eco system.

On that front, seems like it would be worth pulling the trigger on this deal.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
KeRaSh that's not a high resolution "retina" screen and there won't be any scaling. It should work even on an Air if you can live with that dpi . I have a 5k2k Ultrawide from LG and that wouldn't, as the base Apple chips don't have enough bandwidth to scale them.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
KeRaSh that's not a high resolution "retina" screen and there won't be any scaling. It should work even on an Air. I have a 5k2k Ultrawide from LG and that wouldn't, as the base Apple chips don't have enough bandwidth to scale them.
Alright, thanks.
I think I'm good to go with that setup then.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
My space black 14 Inch M3 Pro came in today, using it right now, goddamn what a beautiful machine, and typing on this is a dream.

Finally upgraded from my 2015 13 in MB Pro, and what a difference 9 years makes lol

I've had mine for a while now. It's the best computer I've ever owned, I absolutely love it.

Got one a couple of months ago myself and I definitely love it and haven't even began to make serious use of it yet!

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Got one a couple of months ago myself and I definitely love it and haven't even began to make serious use of it yet!

I like mine so much that it has now replaced my Windows desktop PC for work. I run 2 monitors off it and it works great. Switching to using Mac OS full time has taken a bit of effort, and I don't think I'll ever like how it handles window management, but it's just so nice to use for the most part and so small and light (coming from an Acer 5 17" Windows laptop)

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if I have bad luck with AirPods or not. Got the Gen 1 in like 2018 and it lasted me until 2021. At that point the batteries were degrading super fast.Then got Gen2s in 2021, they were pretty good for me until about a month ago. Since then, the sound in decreased slightly (ppl said it's bc of ear wax despite me cleaning my ears regularly and cleaning the hell out of the airpods without a return in sound level) and the batteries seem to be draining fast again.

I'm this close to buying Pros since it seems people have had less battery issues with them after years long usage but idk.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if I have bad luck with AirPods or not. Got the Gen 1 in like 2018 and it lasted me until 2021. At that point the batteries were degrading super fast.Then got Gen2s in 2021, they were pretty good for me until about a month ago. Since then, the sound in decreased slightly (ppl said it's bc of ear wax despite me cleaning my ears regularly and cleaning the hell out of the airpods without a return in sound level) and the batteries seem to be draining fast again.

I'm this close to buying Pros since it seems people have had less battery issues with them after years long usage but idk.
As shitty as it sounds, if you're a heavy AirPod user then the battery becoming shit after three years doesn't really surprise me.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
As shitty as it sounds, if you're a heavy AirPod user then the battery becoming shit after three years doesn't really surprise me.
Yeah I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I do use them heavily. I also did get these Gen 2s on a BF sale from Wal-Mart so I definitely got my money's worth. The question is....is there a rumor of any new airpods coming out or should I just bite on the current Pros?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I do use them heavily. I also did get these Gen 2s on a BF sale from Wal-Mart so I definitely got my money's worth. The question is....is there a rumor of any new airpods coming out or should I just bite on the current Pros?
No new Pros this year, but regular AirPods heavily rumored to get a refresh this fall.

From MacRumors

AirPods 4 (September 2024)

Fourth-generation AirPods are coming in 2024, and as with the MacBook Air and ‌iPad Air‌, Apple is going for a two-model launch. Two versions of the AirPods will be available at different price points, with the higher-end version to gain Active Noise Cancellation, a feature that has previously been limited to the AirPods Pro and AirPods Max.

The AirPods 4 will have an updated design that's a cross between the current AirPods 3 and the ‌AirPods Pro‌, with shorter stems. Fit is expected to be improved, as is sound quality, but it is unclear if Apple will add silicone tips.

A redesigned case is set to feature speakers for Find My alerts and a USB-C charging port, and with a software update coming later in 2024, Apple will add hearing aid functionality that will let the AirPods serve as an over-the-counter alternative to traditional hearing aids.

New ‌AirPods Pro‌ are in the works too, but a refresh isn't expected until 2025.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Considering they're out of warranty for the dude, it almost certainly wouldn't be worth the cost.
Huh, that's interesting because even though they basically toss your Apple Watch and replace it with a new one when you need to replace the battery, at least it's not an absurd cost even out of warranty.
no, it's planned e-waste. And I hate that. No idea if they'll ever do anything about that, my Pros survived for just 2 1/2 years...
Ugh yeah, that's too bad. I wonder if there's really anything in them worth recycling given how small they are.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Tangential question...but what's the most ethical way to dispose of old airpods? I still have those 2021 ones sitting in a drawer...

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Tangential question...but what's the most ethical way to dispose of old airpods? I still have those 2021 ones sitting in a drawer...
Apple Store will recycle them or you can do it online, scroll to the bottom:

www.apple.com

Apple Trade In

Trade in your iPhone, iPad, Mac, Watch, or any other device for credit toward a new one, or recycle it responsibly for free with Apple Trade In.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
any clue wha'ts going on here with my iPhone…

youtube.com

January 8, 2024

I'll swipe the volume all the way down, and then it just goes back up automatically. iPhone 15 Pro on iOS 17.1.2. Maybe does it 50% of the time. Still does it with bluetooth off and I have "Auto-Launch Audio Apps" turned off on my Watch settings (2 things I read could maybe do this).

Just seems like a glitch to me though?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Anyone else using the iCloud mail address observing a massive jump in spam over the last couple weeks?

My iCloud address is my primary email and I am constantly getting emails with "[something something headline].[####]" (e.g. Endurance Auto Warranty.4306) for all sorts of topics and services...
Is it me or is their spam filter offline?
This is definitely new behaviour on my end.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else using the iCloud mail address observing a massive jump in spam over the last couple weeks?

My iCloud address is my primary email and I am constantly getting emails with "[something something headline].[####]" (e.g. Endurance Auto Warranty.4306) for all sorts of topics and services...
Yup, I'm getting the same thing, exactly the same kind of headers as that, too.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
If you use them that frequently, I would get the Pro models anyway. My first pair of AirPods were the second gen of the regular AirPods and they sounded terrible with anything that wasn't just speech. The battery is still trash on the case on the AirPods Pro 2 (or at least mine has been since I bought them), but at least they sound way, way better.

any clue wha'ts going on here with my iPhone…

youtube.com

January 8, 2024

I'll swipe the volume all the way down, and then it just goes back up automatically. iPhone 15 Pro on iOS 17.1.2. Maybe does it 50% of the time. Still does it with bluetooth off and I have "Auto-Launch Audio Apps" turned off on my Watch settings (2 things I read could maybe do this).

Just seems like a glitch to me though?
Same thing happens on my 15 Pro, but it doesn't always bounce back to the initial level like that. A lot of the time it will bump up just a little bit over 0. I don't get it. I do think of it as a sort of physical bounce in that bar, though, as it seems to not do it if I hold it all the way down for a second or two.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If you use them that frequently, I would get the Pro models anyway. My first pair of AirPods were the second gen of the regular AirPods and they sounded terrible with anything that wasn't just speech. The battery is still trash on the case on the AirPods Pro 2 (or at least mine has been since I bought them), but at least they sound way, way better.

Same thing happens on my 15 Pro, but it doesn't always bounce back to the initial level like that. A lot of the time it will bump up just a little bit over 0. I don't get it. I do think of it as a sort of physical bounce in that bar, though, as it seems to not do it if I hold it all the way down for a second or two.
Yeah, that volume thing has been a bug for awhile. It's super frustrating.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

Yes. Me too.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
Is there something I should consider before buying and iPad as someone who hasn't used any apple product in like 15 years? I want to get a tablet and now that apple is using USB-C and will allow sideloading (is that coming everywhere or just europe?) I am seriously considering an iPad since they seem to have the best quality tablet-wise. Any heads-up will be appreaciated.

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
Is there something I should consider before buying and iPad as someone who hasn't used any apple product in like 15 years? I want to get a tablet and now that apple is using USB-C and will allow sideloading (is that coming everywhere or just europe?) I am seriously considering an iPad since they seem to have the best quality tablet-wise. Any heads-up will be appreaciated.

I think you'll probably need a Mac to sideload apps.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, first time visiting the Apple OT.
I'm starting at a new company in February and getting a Macbook Air M1 2020 from them. This will be my first ever MacOS device.
Before I was allowed to use my Windows gaming PC for work from home (I mostly just used web apps Outlook, Teams, etc. in conjunction with Azure Virtual Desktop) and I had a Surface that I used for when going to the office.
My new job doesn't allow BYOD and I will be getting the aforementioned MBA M1 2020.
My current setup has two 27" 1440p 144Hz monitors. I've read that the M1 series of devices only allows one external display.
I've also thought about ways to make switching between home and work hardware as seamless as possible and first came to the conclusion that I would need a DisplayLink compatible USB-C dock that emulates two screens via screen recording and then hook that up to a KVM switch, which would also have a connection from my PC and ultimately connect to the monitors.
That solution would cover 90% of what I'd want from such a hybrid setup, but the remaining 10% would be the ability to use both with one monitor each at the same time without having to rewire anything. That would not be possible with the KVM scenario since that would be an all or nothing switch.

After doing some more research I found out that some newer ultrawide monitors come with KVM capabilities out of the box and some even allow that hybrid scenario of using half of the screen for each device.

Awesome!
Less boxes, less cables, less clutter, more flexibility!

I just want to make sure my new setup doesn't have any glaring issues.
My monitor of choice would be the LG UltraWide 49WQ95X-W if anyone is wondering.

My MBA M1 is running on my samsung 49" ultrawide at 5120x1440 just fine. Display options seem to show 120Hz and option for HDR (which just makes the screen go bright so I don't use it - its the first gen monitor so not that great at HDR anyway)

When working I tend to split it into a roughly 27" 2560x1440 size screen in the centre for my apps/tasks, and the sides which are then like two portrait 1280x1440 screens I use for teams/slack (left) and outlook email/calendar (Right). Works great for me.

It also has PiP and PBP - I use PBP mostly when using my desktop windows PC along with my work laptop, so that gives me two 2560x1440 monitors side by side. Seems able to take any inputs - I use the two displayports, one for mac (USB-C to DP) and PC. Leaves a HDMI which I also use for PS5/switch but only occasionally

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
My MBA M1 is running on my samsung 49" ultrawide at 5120x1440 just fine. Display options seem to show 120Hz and option for HDR (which just makes the screen go bright so I don't use it - its the first gen monitor so not that great at HDR anyway)

When working I tend to split it into a roughly 27" 2560x1440 size screen in the centre for my apps/tasks, and the sides which are then like two portrait 1280x1440 screens I use for teams/slack (left) and outlook email/calendar (Right). Works great for me.

It also has PiP and PBP - I use PBP mostly when using my desktop windows PC along with my work laptop, so that gives me two 2560x1440 monitors side by side. Seems able to take any inputs - I use the two displayports, one for mac (USB-C to DP) and PC. Leaves a HDMI which I also use for PS5/switch but only occasionally
Perfect. That's pretty much how I intend to use my setup.
Thanks!